Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 04:46 AM   #1
Anonymous
FFR Player

Default The New "Religion"

It seems to me that it's politically incorrect to be Christian, or Jewish, or Protestant, or, well, anything but some Eastern religion now-a-days. People give me a hard time because I'm Mormon, and it really ticks me off. "YOU GAY HATER!!" Ugh. Last I checked, one of my best friends is a lesbian. I don't approve of her sexual orientation, but what does that matter? Does that determine if a person is good or not? She's still one of the nicest people I know and is fun to be around.

You can't do anything mildy religious in public anymore. I bet I'd get sued by some restaraunt if I said a silent prayer to myself to bless the food, because they don't want to endorse that kind of thing. It's a total 180. Atheists claim that us religious people are intolerant of them, but it seems to me to be the total opposite. The most close-minded people in the world are the ones that claim to be open-minded. Hell, I know I'm close minded about lots of things. I'm glad I'm that way, too. I know some things for 100% certain, and so of course I'm not going to be "open-minded."

I was veritably chewed out the other day because I believe there is a God. I was cussed and sworn at for it. What the hell is with that?

I think what the world needs is more people that believe there are rights and wrongs. Without wrongs, there can be no rights, people. That's one thing I really don't like about the liberal agenda, is that they think there are no wrongs, that people should do whatever the hell they want to. It's almost as if they want it to be so the only things enjoyable in life are the base pleasures. I'm sorry, but life would just suck if that's all there was, was sex or whatever else they might do from extreme base emotions. It's just so self-serving. The happiest people in life hardly do anything for themselves. They just love people and do things for them. It's not a bad existance, as I'm coming to find out. Pretty rewarding.

I'm just ranting now. Input would be appreciated.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Something is wrong with Login, seriously. That was me, that created the post, although it said I was logged in.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
LifesEagle
FFR Player

Quote:
Does that determine if a person is good or not?
Uh yeah it does...

Quote:
You can't do anything mildy religious in public anymore. I bet I'd get sued by some restaraunt if I said a silent prayer to myself to bless the food
That is untrue, you can say a prayer in public, my friends were at Wendy's (the resturant) and they all stood up and said a prayer real loud. People actually admired what they did.

Let your spirit soar.
LifesEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

All depends on what part of the country you live in eagle, in some parts it can be shunned, in the bible belt it is the law.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
87x
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 87x Send a message via MSN to 87x Send a message via Yahoo to 87x

i understand where your comming form completely laharl, I have no religous preference. I believe in evolution, but it seems anytime i tell a religous person that we get into an arguement. I don't care what you believe in, have your beliefs, it doesn't affect me any. It's just shitty when I'm passive towards religous in respect for them and they give me shit, but then if I say something to someone about it, im now all of sudden the bad guy, and that im "forcing my beliefs onto them".

oh, and your religous preferences have nothing to do with whethere you are a good person or not, some of the more interesting people I know are satanic (or claim to be).

RAVEnHEXa: Lip ring is because I want to be a professional piercer.
87x: more like.. professional goth.
87x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

I totally agree with you Laharl, about how retarded things are getting toward religion. It's like we can't accept anybody's beliefs about anything anymore. I'm atheist, so obviously I don't believe in it, but in a way I kind of admire those that put a lot of feeling and devotion into their religion...part of me thinks it's a bit stupid, but the other non-cynical part admires the feeling they can devote to something on a basis of pure faith. I really don't care if somebody prays or anything, the reason I'm outspoken against organized religion as a whole (Christianity mostly) is the amount of emphasis they enforce on them being right and everyone else being wrong. I hate how they refuse to listen to anybody else's opinion, against better and more plausible judgement, because of the amount of blind faith they put into a book. That's why I hate racist people, extremists, radicals, terrorists. Nobody is ever completely right, and even if I agree with their views I still think they are wrong for not accepting other points of view and insisting their correctness, even in the face of blatant disproval.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
RIAA
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to RIAA
Default Re: The New "Religion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesEagle
Quote:
Does that determine if a person is good or not?
Uh yeah it does...
Completely untrue. I've got a friend who's gay and his parents are very Catholic, if they were to find out then my guess is that his family would toss him out. The point I'm trying to get at, he's the nicest person I know, and lots of fun to talk to. He's great with advice and treats everyone in a loving way. Does that seem like a bad person to you?

Edit: Why in the world is the word gay censored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
It seems to me that it's politically incorrect to be Christian, or Jewish, or Protestant, or, well, anything but some Eastern religion now-a-days. People give me a hard time because I'm Mormon, and it really ticks me off.
I know exactly how you feel about that, it's great to have a friend who completely puts down your religion almost everyday. I hear many jokes about Mormons, some of them aren't all that pleasant.

Quote:
Atheists claim that us religious people are intolerant of them, but it seems to me to be the total opposite.
My family's Mormon, and I've often thought about whether there is a God, I don't find one to be exactly like the Latter-Day Saints describe it, but it is similar. Some religious people are intolerant of Atheists, and some Atheists are intolerant in religious people.

Quote:
I think what the world needs is more people that believe there are rights and wrongs. Without wrongs, there can be no rights, people. That's one thing I really don't like about the liberal agenda, is that they think there are no wrongs, that people should do whatever the hell they want to.
Humans have the ability to do what they choose. There are those who will do something without thinking about the consequences later, and those who plan ahead and see all perspectives. Thus we have people who cannot control themselves and will not consider the consequences of an action before they partake of it, creating a wound not only unto themselves, but unto others. Others, with great tolerance will consider things and see all of the pros and cons before making their decision, and I feel that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches others how to weigh out a problem and consider it before doing anything about it.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 PM   #8
plasmix
FFR Player

To be honest, I don't really believe there is a God.
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX

Quote:
The most close-minded people in the world are the ones that claim to be open-minded. Hell, I know I'm close minded about lots of things. I'm glad I'm that way, too. I know some things for 100% certain, and so of course I'm not going to be "open-minded."
In a way, there is nothing wrong with being closed minded. It shows that you have enough confidence in yourself to hold your beliefs and not change them because you think you're truly right. But, it's also importao respect and atleast listen to the thoughts of others, wether you consider them to be right or not is your choice.

As for the matter of atheists. I'm not religious, but I do believe that there is some God/upper power out there. We're creations, it's simple as that. Without a creator, we would've never been put into this world. That's something I believe, and it's something that other people don't, including atheists. What gets on my nerves is how they disrespect other peoples beliefs.
hEaLiNgViSiOnAnGeLicMiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I am having a hard time putting my ideals into words. See, where I live, it seems the cool and hip thing to do is have sex, drink, and smoke marijuana and go to church. Which drives me literally insane when they tell me I am going to "hell" and that I am the evil person because I wont accept that there is a god or not. (in fact one of them actually worked at the church)

So much of my opinion of "religious" people has been tainted. But then I have so say to myself "No, these people are not 'christians'."

Then I think of the few hardcore christian friends, and they are some of the nicest people I know. Truly they are. One of them was a drummer for my ska band, in order for him to stay in the band we had to say that we were all christian. Ha...actually, we played our final show at his church.

Then I realized, they never forced their beliefs onto me. They put up with all my...sacrilegious jokes and warped sense of humor. They truly are good people.

It doesnt so much matter what you believe, but how good of a person you are.

I dont know...I'd like to think myself open-minded...but I am probably far from it.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:19 AM   #11
Specforces
Yes
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

I'm pretty open minded. See the truth Lupin, read Nietszche.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:42 PM   #12
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmix
To be honest, I don't really believe there is a God.
This has to do with the topic at hand... how?

Old 02-20-2004, 10:27 PM   #13
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

What makes this country so great is the fact that you can believe in what you want. And anyone who doesnt believe that is ignorant.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:39 PM   #14
Lupin_the_3rd
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lupin_the_3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specforces
I'm pretty open minded. See the truth Lupin, read Nietszche.

this is getting old jewpin
Lupin_the_3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:26 AM   #15
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
What makes this country so great is the fact that you can believe in what you want. And anyone who doesnt believe that is ignorant.
I agree, wholeheartedly, and that's why the whole "NO RELIGION IN SCHOOLSS!!1!1!" movement pisses me off.

How about a no forcing your atheist ideas movement in schools? If people want to claim they want a live-and-let-live-world, they better start to live it themselves.

Old 02-21-2004, 05:40 AM   #16
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I'm Agnostic because all religion boils down to is what happens to you when you die, and with so many religions, how am I supposed to get a grasp of one to follow? My parents never FORCED their beliefs on me, so my whole life I've been able to believe what I want to believe. For all I know, every religion could be wrong and it could just be weird little tidbits from other religions, or, assuming Christianity was right, God could just kick us in the nuts and say "SORRY THEY MESSED UP ON ONE OF THE COMMANDMENTS WHEN THEY PRINTED THE BIBLE GG NO RE KTHX". And assuming a hell actually exists... no one deserves hell. No one. Hell, not even Hitler (CHILL BEFORE YOUR FIRES OF A THOUSAND SUNS HAVE BEEN ANGERED). Eternity is uncomprehensable and eternal pain and suffering is something that should not be put upon any being whatsoever. If you're going to be in hell for.. well, eternity, then why should you be punished infinity fold for something that's a tiny speck of the amount you'd spend there?
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #17
VxDx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to VxDx

Sadly, I agree with arch0wl up to the hell bit. (but it's sad to think that Arch is one of the few people who aren't OMG RELIGEEON IS TEH GAYZORZ I DON'T BELIEVE IN ANYTHING)
VxDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:18 PM   #18
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl
Quote:
I agree, wholeheartedly, and that's why the whole "NO RELIGION IN SCHOOLSS!!1!1!" movement pisses me off.

How about a no forcing your atheist ideas movement in schools? If people want to claim they want a live-and-let-live-world, they better start to live it themselves.
No, the whole "NO RELIGION IN SCHOOLSS!!" movement is all about giving kids the choice of participating in religion, not that they're offended by the religion itself (although many probably are). If you have a daily prayer in school or something, what's that one Muslim kid supposed to do? Or that one Athiest kid? The whole point is that they don't want to try and force beliefs on the kids, which is the whole reason I hate most organized relgion in the first place, because of the amount of emphasis they try to force on people to practice it.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:45 PM   #19
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl
Quote:

See, I have nothing against Religion in schools, but the problem is, there are so many of them. And people do not take Religion...lightly. So, in order to prevent problems, they just dont allow it.

But if my school offered a course on Bible Studies...or Religion Studies, I'd take it.

What do you mean by forcing Atheist ideas? If you are referring to Evolution, then I am going to have to disagree with you. Evolution is a scientific theory. So it would make sense to teach it in a science class. But no one is forcing it upon anyone. I mean, you dont have to believe everything a teacher says.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:40 PM   #20
Anonymous
FFR Player

Sorry Laharl, but I'm gonna have to disagree with your opposition to ban religion in schools. Like jewpin said, it's largely a saftey measure to prevent students flaring up about kids with different religions.

Also, kids get a lot of their opinions and ideas from school. It's unfair to the child to expose them to religion in a biased sense because then they might pick up the idea there. This may seem like a pro-Atheist argument, but here's why it isn't: would you really want somebody to convert to your religion just because that's the only thing they know, or just because they feel pressured into it? Doesn't it carry a lot more merit if a person conciously makes the decision to pick a religion after thinking for themselves? I find that a lot more respectable, at least.

Additionally, you have to look at the Constitution, in the first amendment it says (essentially) that the government won't take any sides in religious issues and remain neutral. And since schools are government institutions that clause also applies to them.

Finally, look at how much schools and the government get away with being religious. Virginia has laws stating that: 1) all students must recite the Pledge of Allegiance once a morning and 2) the motto "In God We Trust" must be posted in plain-view in a high-traffic section of the school. Let me remind you that the pledge contains the phrase "one nation under God" and by saying that kids have to admit the existence of "God" (the Judeo-Christian deity), it'd be the same as if I said "there's a cat under the table" it's implicit that both the cat and the table exist. Anyways, the point is these are LAWS that our "neutral" government is forcing into "neutral" schools. It just isn't right.

It may seem that atheists are getting away with a lot, but in reality there's still a lot we have to put up with in a public setting.

Remember: by being neutral, that doesn't mean you have to say "I don't believe in God."
AND
Non-Judeo-Christians DO have to admit the existence of God in the Pledge and place their "trust" in God in the current "neutral" setting.

basically: It isn't neutral enough.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote