Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dragonschild
Default Origin of religion

If any of you have read anything on Terence Mckenna, I share alot of the same feelings, and had them even before I read his work.

So... where did religion come from? I'll start off by saying that I do not believe in god, and dont currently believe in religion. There is a theory by Trerence.....back a little less than a million years ago, early hominids in Africa foraged for food, and eventually came across the psilocybe cubensis mushroom, which grew all across the grasslands. Thsese mushrooms have the alkaloid tryptamine "psilocybin" in them, which is a psychedelic. Consuming these psychedelics would lead the user into another realm, seeing a distorted reality, and strange beings. They would refer to these beings as "gods"... and you could see how religion came about from that.

It is also believed that these mushrooms catalyzed the emergence of language and self reflection, as well as a rapid evolution of consciousness.

What do you guys think?
dragonschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Origin of religion

by the way sorry...... didnt see the thing about religion sparks fires..... but o well.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

You understand that there's no way to actually know what happened, and absolutely no facts to back up anyone's argument here, right?

P.S. don't double post. Use the edit button.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

yes, thats why its called a theory.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

What I was getting at was... What's to discuss?

Wow, this guy has a theory. He has nothing to back it up and it doesn't lead anywhere. My three year old nephew could come up with an equally valid theory on the origin of religion.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159

Look, since the beginning of man there has always been a need to be comforted by some type of relgious belief so that you feel secure. Also, people came up with religion to answer otherwise impossible questions about life and thoughts that they got just by thinking. Someone probably though, how did those bright things in the sky get there? and they probably didnt immediately think that particles came together by gravity and formed it, they decided that there was an omnipotent being above everything else that created it.

slipstrike0159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well first of all, you dont have to act like a prick. And to answer your question, I meant to put up there what people's thoughts on the theory were, nd the title answers your question in itself as well, "origin of religion", this topic is to discuss how it came about, you put your own thoughts on how it came about.

And some of that can be backed up by science, even though i only trust science to a certain extent. Mushroom history can be found here.......
http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushroo..._history.shtml

and more on the theory..... if any of you believe in evolution... it could be an explanation as to how the human consciousness evolved from the ape.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Terrence McKenna is a single individual concerned more with the issue of possibility than defining concrete notions of events. Don't take his concepts as fact, take them as interesting musings or possibilities that could show the origin of our conscious thought.

Furthermore, he goes on to say in the same piece of writing to which you are referring that the spores of psilocybin mushrooms could possibly be the embodied spirits of extraterrestrials. You surely don't take these musings as solid fact do you? The compound psilocybin is only active on us because our serotonin system is built to respond actively to substances similar to serotonin (5-HT) such as psilocybin.

Personally, I think the concept of God is created from those glimpses of infinity we see in recursion... Something I've definitely seen on mushrooms.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstrike0159 View Post
Look, since the beginning of man there has always been a need to be comforted by some type of relgious belief so that you feel secure. Also, people came up with religion to answer otherwise impossible questions about life and thoughts that they got just by thinking. Someone probably though, how did those bright things in the sky get there? and they probably didnt immediately think that particles came together by gravity and formed it, they decided that there was an omnipotent being above everything else that created it.
yes I belive this 100%..... for feeling secure..... they dont call it "faith" for nothing. But as to how religion even came into the cognition of man..... is a different story, and can possibly be explained by the psychedelic mushroom...... as well as language, and a consciousness.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

"Furthermore, he goes on to say in the same piece of writing to which you are referring that the spores of psilocybin mushrooms could possibly be the embodied spirits of extraterrestrials. You surely don't take these musings as solid fact do you? The compound psilocybin is only active on us because our serotonin system is built to respond actively to substances similar to serotonin (5-HT) such as psilocybin."

No I dont take those as fact, although i do not doubt the possibility. Psilocin to be exact, is the result of the enzymes being chopped off of psilocybin, and yes it mimics the serotonin in the 5-ht2 receptors.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

First of all you double posted again.
Second of all, it could very well be the reason why religion was conceaved because if something needs to become stable they will do it by gaining something or losing something (kind of like in chemistry how to become electronically stable, an element needs to either gain enough electrons or lose enough electrons to fill their outer shell). They came up with religion as a basis of answering the impossible questions so that they can think they have a reason for everything.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Why did you join this message board? Just to talk about this?

This topic gets beat to death in just about every CT topic where the mere mention of a religious idea crops up.

People who follow any particular faith don't really care. It's not important to them. Atheists insist on bringing up this topic time and time again just so they can say "IT WAS CREATED BY MAN JUST TO EXPLAIN THE UNEXPLAINABLE YOU IGNORANT HICKS" and I'll be frank: I'm ****ing tired of it.

I vote the thread gets locked simply because we've all gone over this a million times and it always, always, always leads to a flame war.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
dragonschild
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

That is a valid argument as well.

edit... hey dude you need to fu**ing chill out, im just curious to what people think, if you dont want to hear it dont open the fu**ing thread.... and this isnt directed towards slamming religion, its about the origin of religion and the mushroom theory or...(stoned ape theory), im not saying your wrong, or slamming it in your face, im simply putting forth theories and ideas, and viewing the other people's ideas and comments.

Last edited by dragonschild; 11-15-2006 at 06:59 PM..
Old 11-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #14
Iwhaiwnfi
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonschild
edit... hey dude you need to fu**ing chill out, im just curious to what people think, if you dont want to hear it dont open the fu**ing thread....
Your "curiosity" led to exactly what Laharl said it would: flaming. Funny how it's coming form you first, though.
Iwhaiwnfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

When I touch a magic boot, it takes me to a seperate realm where I am an all knowing Grid where I can see God.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
TheGrid
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheGrid

Oh, I touched the boot again.

You can reach me at:

TheGridKnowsAll (AIM)
TheGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Anyways, I think the origin of religion is somehow tied to this magical boot that I've found. I'm not quite sure how it works, but it's a good theory and it leads to some majorly zany adventures.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #18
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl View Post
People who follow any particular faith don't really care. It's not important to them. Atheists insist on bringing up this topic time and time again just so they can say "IT WAS CREATED BY MAN JUST TO EXPLAIN THE UNEXPLAINABLE YOU IGNORANT HICKS" and I'll be frank: I'm ****ing tired of it.
Ahaha, i hope you dont think i am one of those atheists calling people ignorant. I was merely trying to point out a way that seems logical to other people. I could say that religion was brought to the earth by god to establish a certain way of life like i am told, but i dont think it would have been receaved well.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #19
Nikkis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
Anyways, I think the origin of religion is somehow tied to this magical boot that I've found. I'm not quite sure how it works, but it's a good theory and it leads to some majorly zany adventures.
Share plz.

Your theory is very farfetched and I've never heard of such mushrooms. Perhaps they just got them high and they assumed they saw divine beings. Whatever.
Nikkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #20
Leatherhead
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Leatherhead

well, most religions were cults, and some are STILL cults after time's passed.

Street Sharks, Jawsome!
Leatherhead is offline   Reply With Quote