Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-7-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Default The Five Rules of FFR Forum Ettiquette + some other stuff.

1. Age is not important, we as a forum don't care about each others age. Period.

2. Gender is not important, though it may be in some specific scenarios, otherwise, it is not important.

3. Sexuality is not important. Ever. Period. End of discussion.

Quote:
Bobby: Stop posting idiot, your acting gay.
Jerry: Judging by your response, you're what? 13?
Johnny: Omg, Jerry, you're such a freakin' PMSin' bitch. Take some Midol and get over it.

A. Bobby, don't call people gay, we have some gay posters on this forum, and it may be offensive.

B. Jerry, who cares if he is 13, you're acting less mature than he is by saying that. Maturity>Age. Period.

C. Johnny, who the hell cares if Jerry is a female, she can't help it, and you're acting like a sexist biast male by saying that. We as a forum should neither be sexist, nor biast.
4. Whether or not you can AAAAA Ice Climb with your face on 8x 2.0 Music Speed with Random Shuffle Quick Reverse Drunk Boost Stealth Fade, DOES NOT MATTER. This also applies for Reach's mom.

5. No one cares that you like (insert type of food). Randomly inserting comments like these into posts is postwhoring. If you like pie, great, we don't care. If you really like pie, go post on some pastry forums.

Remember these five simple forum etiquette rules, and 95% of Moronic Flames will be turned into INTELLIGIBLE DEBATES, and/or ACTUAL VALID RESPONSES.

There. End. Done. Sticky it.

NO REALLY
Alkaiser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Also, things that you CANNOT prove in any way should not be said, by both parties.

1."OMG, I AA'd Uber Rave"

2."Stfu newb, no you ****ing didn't"

1. You have no proof, no one will believe you

2. You have no proof that he hasn't, shut up before you start.

NO REALLY
Old 12-7-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Thank you. Here are where some specific topic should be placed:

The only place that you can post an FC or some FFR/SM/DDR accomplishment is in the "Brag Board Forum." You must include a picture for any accomplishments!!!

The only place you can talk about what gender you are or liking a food is in the "Introductions Forum" or the "Chit Chat Forum."

Sexual Preference may only be talked about in the "Garbage Bin Forum" because that is what those topis are...Trash.
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2003, 09:57 PM   #4
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

A for effort Alk, but D for information. If there's anybody who knows about what goes on in flame wars, its me (passed only by Arch0wl).

Quote:
1. Age is not important, we as a forum don't care about each others age. Period.
Half the flame wars I've seen, somebody brings up at least once 'that's lame...what are you, 12?' Age is important, and will be used as ammo.

Quote:
3. Sexuality is not important. Ever. Period. End of discussion.
I wish it were ttrue, but there's always some guy in a flame war who ends up going "Yeah, why don't you go screw your boyfriend you fucking ***."

Quote:
4. Whether or not you can AAAAA Ice Climb with your face on 8x 2.0 Music Speed with Random Shuffle Quick Reverse Drunk Boost Stealth Fade, DOES NOT MATTER.
It does if the argument is about how good someone is at FFR/SM/DDR, but otherwise you're right. It won't get pulled into the convo.

Otherwise, thanks for trying to make yet *sigh* another sticky that n00bs will never read, get flamed for not reading them, and end up going 'well why didn't somebody tell me? blahblahblah sticky this.'
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2003, 09:58 PM   #5
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

oh, and dont double post or revive like 5 month old topics
thats just lame, and gay, and stupid
oh, and before you post a picture or a joke in the chit chat, do a forum search and see if it's been posted so you dont get flamed by 10,000 people!
Old 12-7-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Thanks Cen.

ADDITIONALLY, in the event that you do get into flame/rant/spiel/venting/etc.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Try to remember three things.

1. Don't act like you are smarter or better than the other person.

2. Try to figure out WHERE they are coming from.

3. Try not to say stuff like "Maybe the game hates you" or "Maybe the forum hates you" or "Maybe the chat hates you" or "YOUR A F***ING IDIOT" and when someone does say stuff like that, don't follow up to them saying it by saying shit like "PWNED!"

4. When someone is posting something of their own accomplishments, stepfile, music, etc. Whatever you do. Be considerate. They are obviously posting it because they are proud of it. Don't come in and show them how you can do so much better, or how they are so bad, or how they made so many mistakes. Encouragements only.

NO REALLY
Old 12-7-2003, 10:05 PM   #7
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

As Synth says, "we aren't trying to drive people away." (Or something like that)
Old 12-7-2003, 10:07 PM   #8
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Quote:
Half the flame wars I've seen, somebody brings up at least once 'that's lame...what are you, 12?' Age is important, and will be used as ammo.
No, half the flame wars you are in, are not intelligent, and are just throwing insults while neither side gets anywhere.

This isn't just to newbs either, this is to everyone, don't use age as ammo, it's pointless and stupid.

Quote:
I wish it were true, but there's always some guy in a flame war who ends up going "Yeah, why don't you go screw your boyfriend you fucking ***."
It's offensive, and that is that. I could name a few gay members, and best bets say they are either annoyed or offended by stuff like that. That's like using racial slurs, and should result in a temporary ban.

Quote:
It does if the argument is about how good someone is at FFR/SM/DDR, but otherwise you're right. It won't get pulled into the convo.
If the arguement is about those things, obviously lying on purpose is stupid, and just going to heighten someones temper.

Quote:
Otherwise, thanks for trying to make yet *sigh* another sticky that n00bs will never read, get flamed for not reading them, and end up going 'well why didn't somebody tell me? blahblahblah sticky this.'
I'm making a new sig that just says.

READ THE FAQ

NO REALLY
Old 12-7-2003, 10:11 PM   #9
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Then you can have a link to the FAQ once it is stickied, and when ever you meet someone new in the introductions, you tell them to go to the FAQ address in your signature if they want to not be flamed.
Old 12-7-2003, 10:11 PM   #10
altairian
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to altairian Send a message via MSN to altairian

Nice post, I wish more people would follow basic rules of etiquette like this =\

Anticrombie, your entire argument is "but we need to say this stuff in flame wars". This forum is here for discussion, debate, argument, whatever. It's not here for mindlessly insulting other people.
Reach: there was this bee. i hate bee\'s...i tryed to kill it, but then it didn\'t die and it started making weird noises so i was like oh (#$% hes gonna sting me. i started running but i triped over some rock and rolled down a hill into the river.
altairian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2003, 10:15 PM   #11
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You know People, there are other words you can use. The english language is fairly big. There is no need for foul language in such a simple argument.

PersonX, your entire argument is(was):
worthless.
not thought out well.
unclear.
wrong.
contradictory.
illegitamate.
ilrational.
Those are just the ones off the top of my head.
(Then you put why you feel that way.)
You based it on ______ without knowing that ______.
Acutally, _____ happened.
You forgot that ______ said _______.

This is only an example.
It is a fair comment. There is no attack at all in it. It states that you believe that they messed up and that you think you know where their flaw is, with no slight on any person.
Old 12-8-2003, 09:21 AM   #12
heyhey11
FFR Player

thank you alk and this should be stickied everywhere
heyhey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2003, 10:43 AM   #13
altairian
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.dict.org
flame [at MIT, orig. from the phrase `flaming asshole'] 1. vi. To post
an email message intended to insult and provoke. 2. vi. To speak
incessantly and/or rabidly on some relatively uninteresting subject or
with a patently ridiculous attitude. 3. vt. Either of senses 1 or 2,
directed with hostility at a particular person or people. 4. n. An
instance of flaming. When a discussion degenerates into useless
controversy
I was not being foul. I was describing what a flame war is. Simplifying his argument down to a single phrase is merely a good debating tactic. If you can do that and quickly and simply contradict their [seemingly] more complicated argument, it's very easy for people to see why the person was wrong.
Reach: there was this bee. i hate bee\'s...i tryed to kill it, but then it didn\'t die and it started making weird noises so i was like oh (#$% hes gonna sting me. i started running but i triped over some rock and rolled down a hill into the river.
Old 12-8-2003, 04:29 PM   #14
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
No, half the flame wars you are in, are not intelligent, and are just throwing insults while neither side gets anywhere.
Have you ever seen an intelligent flame war? Cause I havn't. Listen, I'm not trying to put down your attempt to improve the forums, I'm trying to help. Because you're telling n00bs stuff they are going to take to heart, and I want them to know the best information...or at least, the most accurate we can dig up.

Quote:
Maybe the game hates you
And lol must you bring that up? I was bored. Sue me.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2003, 04:49 PM   #15
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Besides. That is just sarcasm. Everyone knows that that is sarcasm.
Old 12-8-2003, 05:09 PM   #16
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Quote:
Have you ever seen an intelligent flame war? Cause I havn't. Listen, I'm not trying to put down your attempt to improve the forums, I'm trying to help. Because you're telling n00bs stuff they are going to take to heart, and I want them to know the best information...or at least, the most accurate we can dig up.
I have, I've seen them all the time on forums where the policy on flaming is very strict.

I'll send you a link to UOSS Ideas Den. There is no blatant moronic attacks, they are purely

"Well you're wrong cause of this"

"No, this is why I am right, because this and this make it so this does this"

"HA! That doesn't work, no one will go for that"

"It's not much different than the system already in place, it's just changing some things"

".... I guess.... It's fine if the devs go for it"

NO REALLY
Old 12-8-2003, 05:21 PM   #17
altairian
FFR Player

uh, that's more like a debate, not a flame war. Why do people think that disagreeing with someone is automatically hostile? It is possible to disagree and argue with someone without throwing insults left and right.
Old 12-8-2003, 05:28 PM   #18
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by altairian
uh, that's more like a debate, not a flame war. Why do people think that disagreeing with someone is automatically hostile? It is possible to disagree and argue with someone without throwing insults left and right.
There is always some insults but nothing major... otherwise, it's honestly nothing... If you were to take those same people and place them here, it would turn into stuff that is in the garbage bin. People will follow the rules if that's the way they are placed, and they will abide by them.

So, you are exactly right.

Anticrombie, what we are saying is that we don't want the flame wars that go on. Debates, yes. Flamewars, no.

NO REALLY
Old 12-8-2003, 05:34 PM   #19
Alkaiser88
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyZero
I've never mocked new comers/begginers/noobs if you will. They aren't really NOOBS,just new to the boards and the game however people are assholes most of the time. But I choose not to be mean,what's the point? They'll learn it eventually and quicker if you dont give them hell.
I thought it was appropriate, because it's true.

NO REALLY
Old 12-8-2003, 05:37 PM   #20
Cenright
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I liked the vacuum of space/speed of light debate we had. It was great. I know that not all of the debates are on that high of a level, but the only reason most flamewars happen is because we have someone who doesn't care and wants to go off on someone and LOOKS for the oppurtunity.

There are always those that don't care, and those are the ones that always ruin it all. That is why as a mod I would be harder on the deliberately rude people and really light on those that just have a little left-over ignorance.