Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
zildjian133
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to zildjian133 Send a message via MSN to zildjian133 Send a message via Yahoo to zildjian133
Default Democracy: Ideal or not?

Before anyone misunderstands our government we live in a Republic not a Democracy, we have few democractic features, which would be letting the people decide or vote on how everything is run. If we were truely democractic the majority of an idea always wins no matter how ethical or unethical it may be so in the middle east, in Iraq the Shiites and Sunii are going to be divided and if I'm not mistaken the Shiites are the majority and are the biggest threat to American's in Iraq so it seems pretty backwards for all the political talk to be about how great a Democractic state is when we aren't one and would most likely make a biased split population and more violence...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222
Default Re: Democracy: Ideal or not?

Actually, we live in a representitive democracy.

Pure democracy is a stupid idea in my opinion, even with educated people, it never works well.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
zildjian133
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to zildjian133 Send a message via MSN to zildjian133 Send a message via Yahoo to zildjian133

http://www.thisnation.com/question/011.html
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
stealth
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to stealth

Quote:
In constitutional theory and in historical usages and especially when considering the works of the Founding Fathers of the United States, the word "democracy" refers solely to direct democracy, whilst a representative democracy where representatives of the people govern in accordance with a constitution is referred to as a republic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democra....22Republic.22

They are both correct terms, I guess, just Republic is the word that was used by the founding fathers.
stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I think Democracy is a great system. And a Republic is a good system too, as long as the representatives actually represent their constituents. At one people, 59% of the population was unsatisfied with the job President Bush was doing, which means he was a failing at doing his job, which is to keep the people of his country safe and happy. Now, I am no attacking GWB, there's been enough of that, I just using him as an example. The problem with our Government is Capitalism. Our representatives are not listening to the demands of the people, but the demands of big business. It is the dollar that is driving every major decision in our Government.

People also dont realize that their power extents farther than just voting rights. The people do have the ability to purpose laws and have the right to speak with their representative.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
mrb1019
FFR Player

The US is a democracy, one cannot simply define democracy as government with rule directly by the people, there are numerous variations, the US being a representative democracy.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Prince_Kheldar
FFR Player

Hmmm...Let's see..U.S.A. is one of the few countries that use democracy. Considering that USA is the most powerful country in the world, yes, i'd say democracy is pretty damn good!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Prince_Kheldar
FFR Player

Dang, I'm in the mood for a good arguement
Old 07-11-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Kheldar
Dang, I'm in the mood for a good arguement
Fine then, what about China's growing economy? Economists estimate that within 10 years, China will be the world's dominate economic super power. China is ruled by a communist dictatorship. Huh? What now?

Of course, it hasn't happened yet, so dont use that argument.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
mrb1019
FFR Player

Not to "use that argument" however, the PRC is a mixed economy, although regulated heavily by the government, their economy has become and is becoming more market- oriented. The main reason for China's economic growth is its incorporation of capitalist elements into the economy such as allowing the formation of private businesses and an ease on government price regulations, without such reform their economy would have continued to suffer.

Anyways, democracy is not an economic system, so to rate democracy as ideal or not, based on a comparison of the economies of democratic nations wiht the economy of Communist China isn't valid.

(Just trying to contribute here not "attack" anyone.)

Last edited by mrb1019; 07-12-2006 at 12:24 PM..
mrb1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Psycho9003
FFR Player

I can't say that I know much on the issue, but there is one thing that bugs me. Why is it that the United States in the past has tried to stop the spread of other forms of government, yet now we try to impose our own form on other countries, like Iraq? To me, it seems the U.S. is being hypocritical. I know this is kind of off topic, but does anyone here agree with me?
Psycho9003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #12
mrb1019
FFR Player

Well, justification for stopping the spread of other forms of government, such as communism is the Truman Doctrine, in which the US vows to prevent the spread of communism, but not to overthrow existing communist governments. I disagree with Psycho only because the US attempts to stop the spread of forms of government that are threats to global peace, not just to prevent stronger nations from imposing their form of government on weaker ones, which the US does.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Kheldar
Hmmm...Let's see..U.S.A. is one of the few countries that use democracy. Considering that USA is the most powerful country in the world, yes, i'd say democracy is pretty damn good!
It's more that capitalism is pretty damn good, not democracy.

That is, capitalism is more the cause of our power than democracy is. I wouldn't trade my form of government for anything.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

mrb is right. Iraq has attempted to impose their regime on other countries for at least 10 years, referencing the Desert Storm conflict. With our heavy dependence on oil, and Iraq's corrupt goverment that abuses the economic and social state of it's country (Which is almost reason enough for us to get approval to intervene, looking back at the Geneva Convention), and the fact that Iraq could have had WMD's to seize oil rich nations(Such as Kuwait again) is a good reason to invade.

We attacked them to prevent them from spreading a corrupt system of government that would infect other innoncent nations, that who we are protecting. Our invasion has nothing to do with imposing our system upon that nation, our's just happens to be the best in all aspects of civilization.

Last edited by Tps222; 07-13-2006 at 12:08 PM..
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
B3NJ1
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to B3NJ1 Send a message via MSN to B3NJ1 Send a message via Yahoo to B3NJ1

Everyone has their disagreements which lead to conflict. Take us (United States) for example. We kill indians for land so we can expand. We look back at mistakes like this and think, "What was our government thinking." (At least I did when we did american history this year). A vast majority of the people at the time didn't think anything of what they were doing. Give the current history that is being made now a good fifty years and we may look back and think how wrong our political system/morals were. We also have the other problem of China being a superpower which was addressed by someone else. If/when we go to war with China for some reason or another, we would both be destroyed. The ony way I can think of a government working with the least war/hate/death/etc. is to become completely united as a planet under one world government. Like the U.N. except with more power and that would be the supreme government. I think I got a little off topic somewhere in there but if a world government was to be initiated it would not be perfect but it would be the best thing we could get.

So no, for the world governent, democracy would not be ideal. I'm still trying to work this all out in my head though. Give me a minute.

rant/10

Last edited by B3NJ1; 07-13-2006 at 09:28 PM..
B3NJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #16
trillobyite
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
I think Democracy is a great system. And a Republic is a good system too, as long as the representatives actually represent their constituents. At one people, 59% of the population was unsatisfied with the job President Bush was doing, which means he was a failing at doing his job, which is to keep the people of his country safe and happy. Now, I am no attacking GWB, there's been enough of that, I just using him as an example. The problem with our Government is Capitalism. Our representatives are not listening to the demands of the people, but the demands of big business. It is the dollar that is driving every major decision in our Government.

People also dont realize that their power extents farther than just voting rights. The people do have the ability to purpose laws and have the right to speak with their representative.
I disagree. I don't believe the very economic system of capitalism is at fault, but rather the corruption currently inherent in the US goverment and the fact that many congressmen are susceptible to bribes. Take the Abramoff case for example. With no doubt big business has an influence in government, but the fault lies, imo, much more in the politicians themselves than capitalism. After all, a controlled economy would probably not be purged of corruption or the abuse of power by a dictator. The most corrupt countries in the world tend to be countries in Central Asia (the Stans, bandgladesh etc), many of which, while capitalist in essence, have very little big business and are actually dominated more by agriculture (though metal production is important too), and hell, a quasi-bargain economy with market stalls and everything, at least in the non-major cities.
Every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lives here on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
http://obs.nineplanets.org/psc/pbd.html

Last edited by trillobyite; 07-14-2006 at 10:27 PM..
trillobyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #17
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

The best form of government is totally dependent on the collective mindstate and moral system of its constituents. Therefore, there is no 'ideal' government.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #18
trillobyite
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson
The best form of government is totally dependent on the collective mindstate and moral system of its constituents. Therefore, there is no 'ideal' government.
But isn't that form, by definition, a democracy?
Every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lives here on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #19
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

not if the mindset is "yay totalitarianism". it's not like people vote for what government they want. someone decides and others follow.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:10 AM   #20
trillobyite
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
not if the mindset is "yay totalitarianism". it's not like people vote for what government they want. someone decides and others follow.
My favorite paradox (and I guess an argument against democracy) is that if the people vote in a totalatarian government, which proceeds to, legally, amend and destroy democratic priviledges, then the democracy doesn't work in the end and the only way the people can achieve their will of liberty would be in revolution. That's why it's always important for checks and balances and the like, but even that can go awry.

Of course, what you said is right. Whatever government is decided upon by the general culture of the people, without democracy already in operation, will kick off and others will follow.