Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom
Default DAMN THIS WORK INTERNET.. someone help

Ok first off, this internet is fucking up constantly.

Here are all the problems in order.
1) June. Start working here. Internet doesn't work. A few weeks go by, the electrician put a new end on the cat5 cable. It works.

2) Intermittent connection for the next few months. It goes up and down, sometimes many times in a day for various amounts of time. Finally get in contact with Charter. They say it's a signal problem. They send a guy out who fixes the signal.

3) A few days later, another guy comes out and changes it to something else. So, back to the problem. I call again. The first guy that had fixed it came out, bitches about the other guy, then adds 50-75 extra cable to lower the signal to what it should be for a temporary solution until someone comes out and actually fixes the lines.

4) No one else ever comes out, but the internet is working fine for a few weeks. Then, more intermittent connection. Call Chater, the signal is fine. Call a guy who works on computers. He comes out, accomplishes nothing. It magically starts working after a few unplugs and replugs.

5) Same problems a day or two later. Call the electrician. The cat5 running from our building and into the other is not outdoor rated cable. He replaces the whole thing, around 330 feet. Afterwards he tells me it's not a good thing to have over 200+ feet of cable running for the internet as it can cause a bad connection. Thanks for saying that after you did all this work. Internet doesn't connect, he leaves saying all the cables are fine and tested, that he doesn't know what the problem is.

6) Call Charter. They say anything more than 100 feet is not recommended. So, I have the boss give me money for a wireless card. I go get it, and use the router we already have down at the end of the other building, near the cable modem. It won't even pick up the signal. What the hell? Call that same computer guy as before. I leave before he gets here as I'm quite sick of the whole situation and my mom is here to take over anyways. The old router was screwed up, so he gives us a temporary one to use. He leaves it down in this building and hooks it to the line that goes all the way across into the other building, to the firewall, which goes out to the modem. Internet works.

7) Last week, the internet stopped working for guys in an office an office unit we rent out. They sit in the middle of our office and where the cable modem is. Their line runs down to the firewall. One can connect with his wireless to our borrowed router, but it keeps disconnecting from the net.

8) A few days ago, the other guy who works in the offices comes in with a wireless card. He's trying to get it to install right cause it's not finding the router. I unplug the router and plug it back in. Now my internet won't work no matter what I do. Next day I get a check from the boss and pick up our own router. Both our card and router are g/b with speedbooster. I put it down at the end, taking the firewall out of the mix. Finally get arund this "easy secure" linksys has that kept causing problems for me to connect to the router, and I get it to connect to it with encryption. It won't connect to the internet though. Fine. I put the firewall back in the mix, bring the router to our end, hook it to that long ass cat5, and it starts working great. Finally after a few hours it works great.

9) Today the speed keeps screwing up. It connects to the router just fine, but more intermittent connection. Fuck. I try the router again down at the end, taking the long wire out of the mix. Nope. The guy in the office can connect to our new router but it won't connect to the internet. I bring it back down here. Same problem for him still, mine connects to the internet just fine. It gets slow here, reading 1.0 Mbps, but now it's running fine.

WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM?? I'M SO SICK OF IT. If I take the long cat5 out of the mix, I can connect to the router but not to the internet. That's with or without the firewall in the mix. If I keep it down here, the long cat5 causes some connection problems but it's the only way I can get connected to the net.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
dancingmaniac3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dancingmaniac3
Default RE: DAMN THIS WORK INTERNET.. someone help

You lost me after Internet. Sorry for not helping but that sounds really bad. I pity you. I take it charter is the name of the company?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
mirthyp
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to mirthyp Send a message via MSN to mirthyp

If you're all sharing a T1 line throughout the entire company, the connection is bound to have fluxuations in speed. If that's not the case and say, 3 or 4 workers share a connection, then I don't know what the problem is.
mirthyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

It's cable internet. And uhh I'm the only one who uses it, other than another office in the next building where max 2 people use it for stuff that doesn't take up hardly any bandwidth.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Bandit, my school connection connects by T1, a serving router, and 4 receiving routers in blocks of 10, 8, 8, and 10 computers. There could be three people trying to access low-bandwidth pages... AND IT JUST DOESN'T WORK. It has to be the ISP, because that's what's wrong with ours. Our service sucks. It selectively decides when to work. That seems to be the only possibility on your end at this point.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Get ahold of a repeater or a router to use between cables. Signals travelling across a cat5 fades the further it goes, and ~100 feet is where it becomes unusable thanks to noise and the like. A repeater will regenerate the signal and send it on its way~