Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl
Default FF7

GIVE ME A DAMNED REASON AS TO WHY YOU LIKE IT, and I might just lay off for once. I hate the game, with a passion. I can explain why, as well, but I'm sure that everyone has read it four or five times.

BUT I HAVE YET TO SEE A VALID REASON FOR LIKING FF7.

"It was cool." "Cloud and Sephiroth can kick your ass." "Tifa has boobs."

Gee. That sounds an awful lot like what DBZ fans say.

"It is cool." "Goku and Vegeta can kick your ass." "Bulma has boobies."
Old 09-30-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Draco89123
FFR Player

Well, whoever you asked has a poor justification. I belive it is a great game because of the uniquness of the materia system, i liked the story and its twists, and also it was a good well developed rpg that can't be rivaled by many other rpg's, although the charecter graphics were mediocre, i overlooked that and saw how well the backgrounds were put together despite the playstation's limitations.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
Diabolicus
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Diabolicus

I as well like the materia system, and the storyline is really great, and i grow tired of people who think everything need to have ultimate graphics, aliens, laser beams, and explosions every ten seconds. It makes me sick that people expect all of this, and cant just settle for a game that has a plot, great epic music, and well developed characters. It saddens me that everyone relies on a bunch of people clobbering each other with rocket launchers, bloode everywhere, and repetitive gameplay along with (yawn) state of the art graphics. What happened to the good ol days when peopel could appreciate a little bit of sprting good story etc.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
Laharl
FFR Player

You guys seem to forget that one of the draws to the game was that it had great graphics for it's day. It was a beginning to the phenomenon known as "graphics whoring".

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Old 09-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #5
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Okay, I bought the game about two years ago. I played it for a while...got bored...didnt play it until about 3 months ago. My friend kept yelling at me for not finishing it, so I was all "Shut up, I'll play it"....so later that day I did. And I never stopped. You have to play it before criticizing it. There is just something about it that hooks you. Although I hated the amnesia part.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
flipmaster99
FFR Player

-One of the graphical splendors of the PSone for its time
-Compelling storyline
-Many many hours of gameplay = get money's worth
-Innovative materia system
-Shows great creativity in changing old systems from previous FF's... but still staying true to FF's roots.

Those considered valid?
Old 10-1-2003, 12:22 AM   #7
Nima
FFR Player

the game is awesome... I can't wait till FF11 comes out
Old 10-1-2003, 07:52 AM   #8
hund
FFR Player

I couldnt even get past the first disk, but then again im not a RPG gamer. But i really the backgrounds and the character development. The materia system was pretty cool to play around with, especially when you get your @$$ handed to you by some dude, you can just go and change some things and BAM you beat the guy.
Think about it, your playin chess with an old man in the park, he messes up and you use your pawn to kill his knight or something, then you can get up and shout \"Pawned your arse old man!\" and run away!
Old 10-1-2003, 04:54 PM   #9
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmaster99
-One of the graphical splendors of the PSone for its time
-Compelling storyline
-Many many hours of gameplay = get money's worth
-Innovative materia system
-Shows great creativity in changing old systems from previous FF's... but still staying true to FF's roots.

Those considered valid?
1. NOT A VALID REASON. Graphics never, ever ever ever, never, ever, never, ever ever ever ever make the game good. Ever.
2. Pah. Depends on if you like cheesy plots and overly, overly, overly clichéd characters. Everyone is a carbon copy of the other, just with one distinct difference. Cloud is a lunatic, Cid is lazy, Barret is black, Yuffie is "spunky", blah blah blah. All totally pathitically lame. The plot itself takes NO twists. Everything you could see happening from a mile away. I did, at least.
3. True enough. Too bad I couldn't enjoy the plot enough to make the 70 hours I spent beating the game worth it.
4. Innovative? Peh. It was a copy of the esper system, except that it allowed you to have more than one on at a time and you can switch the skills from one character to the next, thereby limiting individuality in battle. Everyone was essentially the same. Only limit breaks set a difference, and like those were ever common.
5. The only one it had anything in common with was FF6. ONLY ONE. Even it's environment and story were different from any other FF game. "True to it's roots"? Not at all.

@ jewpin: I BEAT THE GAME. I am allowed to bitch about how I wasted 70 hours of my life on that garbage. ;_;
Old 10-1-2003, 07:30 PM   #10
Anonymous
FFR Player

I dont wanna play FF7 because Cloud gets raped by men.
I totally agree with you Laharl, Xenogears had horrible, horrbile graphics, but I loved it.
Old 10-1-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
@ jewpin: I BEAT THE GAME. I am allowed to bitch about how I wasted 70 hours of my life on that garbage. ;_;
Okay....I'm just sayin', I'm not a hardcore RPG fan. I wasnt even planning on playing FF7...but I did...and I was like "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE?!" I havent beaten it yet though...I want to get everything that is possible in the game first....because FF7 is the best ever (not really. But sort of.)

The characters at the time, weren't cliche....all other games copied ff7.
Let me ask you this; Did the whole amnesia thing piss you off?
Old 10-1-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Final Fantasy 7 sucks. Final Fantasy 8 sucks. Final Fantasy 9 is ok. Final Fantasy 10 is bleh.

WELL LET'S SEE THEY'RE ALL PLAYSTATION GAMES

Point being, Playstation FFs suck (the rereleased ones too, "hey let's put snes games on the psx and make them load for hours and have absolutely no extras". Well, except for Origins, that was cool.).

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Old 10-1-2003, 09:11 PM   #13
Laharl
FFR Player

Ha.

Ha!

HA!

That's funny, man.

Obviously, you never played even the predecessor to FF7, FF6. Cloud and Terra have a lot in common. Both can't remember their past, both were soldiers for an evil empire (Shinra and the empire have a lot of ties, as well, btw), and both had latent powers that are unlocked later in the game. Going back to the Empire and Shinra, they both are trying to use science to create super soldiers (replace FF6's esper extraction with FF7's Mako infusions, and there you go) as well as that they are both run by evil people that get whacked by en even eviler person and the one good, non-corrupt guy dies.

Sephiroth, while not drawing from FF6, draws from THE single most heavily clichéd stereotype of a villain in all of the world, let alone Japan. I can think of countless numbers of books and anime shows where the villain is the "cold, silent badass" that has not a single flaw in the world, and they go out to kill all of humanity because they feel it's corrupt or that by detsroying people, they are doing the humans a favor.

Saying that every game drew ideas from FF7 is simply ignorant (no offence). Go read classical literature, mythologies, biblical stories, etc etc etc. Just about every story in existance can have it's roots traced back to the classics, man.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Old 10-1-2003, 09:53 PM   #14
Nadoll
FFR Player

If you hated it so much why did you play it for 70 hours??
Everyone knows you could easily beat it under 60 or 50.

And what about the whole Shinra subplot?

And graphics do help with the game. Would you play a game with 10 pixels, in which you were the red blob trying to stop the green blob from destroying all the blue blobs. (I suppose if you inserted another plot it would be absolutely riviting right?)
Old 10-2-2003, 09:09 AM   #15
Draco89123
FFR Player

To tell you the turth, if anybody abides the policies on how you evaluate games, no game would be more than mediocre or alright. Great things are built upon earlier greater things. Shakespeares's material was mostly based on other stories and myths. Also, I think Aeris getting killed was spontaneous and saddening, only clue you ever gte is when Sephiroth like 2 minutes b4 she dies, says "She has to go" Or something along those lines. I think also Sephiroth is the most evil villain I know. I also disagree that FF8 sucked and I haven't played FF9 that much to discuss, but I at this part where the rat is like the prince of this sandcastle land in the middle of a sandstorm and I can't beat the boss cuz I'm too lazy. FF10 I played for like 4 minutes. Impressive initially.
Old 10-2-2003, 04:04 PM   #16
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco89123
To tell you the turth, if anybody abides the policies on how you evaluate games, no game would be more than mediocre or alright. Great things are built upon earlier greater things. Shakespeares's material was mostly based on other stories and myths. Also, I think Aeris getting killed was spontaneous and saddening, only clue you ever gte is when Sephiroth like 2 minutes b4 she dies, says "She has to go" Or something along those lines. I think also Sephiroth is the most evil villain I know. I also disagree that FF8 sucked and I haven't played FF9 that much to discuss, but I at this part where the rat is like the prince of this sandcastle land in the middle of a sandstorm and I can't beat the boss cuz I'm too lazy. FF10 I played for like 4 minutes. Impressive initially.
Oh, I well enough understand that everything is taken from an older tale. That's a given. What I mean is that it's entirely uninspired. There is a difference between telling a story and telling a story WELL. For example, FF9 uses the standard, "kidnap princess, finds out she's a tomboy, fall in love" story, but it's done in such a delightfully fun manner, that the story is engaging and interesting.

Nadoll: "If you hated it so much why did you play it for 70 hours??
Everyone knows you could easily beat it under 60 or 50."

Why did I beat it? Hell if I know. Boredom, really. I didn't have my grubby hands on Final Fantasy Tactics yet.

"And graphics do help with the game. Would you play a game with 10 pixels, in which you were the red blob trying to stop the green blob from destroying all the blue blobs. (I suppose if you inserted another plot it would be absolutely riviting right?)"

There is a big difference between saying graphics help and graphics make the game. I can't say that any of the games I've really, really, really liked had state-of-the-art graphics. Often times, companies focus SOOOO much on getting their product to have a nice, shiny graphics engine, they screw over gameplay, plot, and translation quality. If even half the time that went in to making FF7's CG scenes went into a decent translation or more fluid gameplay, it'd have been a tremendous game. FF7 completely reeks of wasted potential.
Old 10-2-2003, 05:35 PM   #17
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Ok dudes,the only reason you might not like FF7 is cause your just plain stupid or you've finally realised KICK ASS RPG'S like itself are too much for you to handle. FF7 is the greatest game,the characters,the storyline and love everything about it is fucking amazing what is there not to like?!?!?! i mean seriously come on stop dissing it so bad when you know even if you dont like the game it's still fucking amazing. It's by far the greatest RPG ive ever played nex to Secret Of Mana for SNES
Old 10-2-2003, 05:57 PM   #18
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

I take it Laharl and I are the only ones on this website that don't like FF7, eh?

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Old 10-2-2003, 06:33 PM   #19
RobbyZero
FFR Player

Possibly more people but if you dont like it,too bad for you...Just dont be dissing it so badly..just have to say meh i dont like it simple as that..

and then everyone wwont have to argue and flame you....
Old 10-2-2003, 07:07 PM   #20
Brainmaster07
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Brainmaster07

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyZero
Ok dudes,the only reason you might not like FF7 is cause your just plain stupid or you've finally realised KICK ASS RPG'S like itself are too much for you to handle. FF7 is the greatest game,the characters,the storyline and love everything about it is #$#ing amazing what is there not to like?!?!?! i mean seriously come on stop dissing it so bad when you know even if you dont like the game it's still #$#ing amazing. It's by far the greatest RPG ive ever played nex to Secret Of Mana for SNES
I thought Secret of Mana sucked... but I do agree with FF7 being awesome. But as far as best RPGs go... Grandia II wins by a long shot.
Closed Thread