Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
TK_unreal
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to TK_unreal
Default What do i do to start making charts you ask? I've made it simple for you to start!

I've been looking around on here and noticing a lot of people had asked around on how to begin making charts, and most answers are generally the same and normally don't give any real explination on how to begin. There may be some thread out there that does explain this but since i wasn't able to find anything while looking for about an hour or so, I'd just create this to help others out!~

What I've done is pretty simple but can help out a lot to those who are new to making charts. I've created a "how to start" guide along with the 2 programs that are necessary in creating your very own file.

People who are unfamiliar with DDream, this "how to start" guide is a very quick in detail step-by-step run on how you would begin making a file. I've provided a link below to Each of the files Seperately and just a link that has everything needed.

DDream + MixMeister + How to Start Stepping With DDream Guide

http://www.mediafire.com/?yy4xe9tyb6rcv4c

DDream

http://www.mediafire.com/?lcc5vkir858hriy

MixMeister - BPM Analyzer

Note - Most of the time MixMeitser will be off about 0.02 BPM, which you would just round off.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xdn466d6au78cdo

How To Start Stepping With DDream Guide

http://www.mediafire.com/?4qn16ltff3fdxzx

Last edited by TK_unreal; 03-20-2012 at 11:42 AM..
TK_unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What do i do to start making charts you ask? I've made it simple for you to start

hi

edit: cool thread, good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
TK_unreal
D7 Elite Keymasher

Default Re: What do i do to start making charts you ask? I've made it simple for you to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rodd123 View Post
hi

edit: cool thread, good idea
thanks man i went looking for it all myself and it took a little while to find everything.. then this happened. haha
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
megamon88
aka Assertive
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=116627

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=118975
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Hey, that's my sig!

Seriously, though, how about a short mention of the sm editor? xP

Cool idea, even though I didn't take the time to read the actual guide :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Jousway
FFR Player

do tell people that if they use mixmeister to round their bpm's off, and that 10% of the time they are inacurate like ****, like I dont even use mixmeister anymore.

also if they want to make xmod files with bpm changes and stops, good luck doing that in ddream

3.9+ + notepad++ is still the best to me for stepping tbh

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
also if they want to make xmod files with bpm changes and stops, good luck doing that in ddream
you can do some xmod tricks easier in DDReam than SMeditor, such as smooth speedups/slowdowns. the grow beats and smooth changes tools work wonders.

lol stops though

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

As far as BPMing, I personally prefer setting the tempo manually (listening through and pressing B on each beat in sync mode). I always get better results and more "freedom" that way, in comparison of using some bpm finding soft.

If that helps anyone! Not a pro stepper by any means, but it's what I got out of my personnal experience.

Of course, I'm using DDReam lmao. If you prefer stepmania for stepping, I recommed doing that to put the bpms everywhere and then save as filename.sm, then step up on sm as you please! =3

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 03-20-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

mix meister works great when you're lazy and you know the song has a static bpm and a steady noticable rhythm.

just read the guide that you wrote up and no offense to you or anything. your input is appreciated but for someone who has never used ddream the steps you gave make no sense.

Last edited by who_cares973; 03-20-2012 at 09:58 AM..
who_cares973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

use your ears and get good at music
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

get out of here grandpa~!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
mix meister works great when you're lazy and you know the song has a static bpm and a steady noticable rhythm.

just read the guide that you wrote up and no offense to you or anything. your input is appreciated but for someone who has never used ddream the steps you gave make no sense.
Are you talking to me? =O
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
who_cares973
FFR Player

talking to unreal lol
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
do tell people that if they use mixmeister to round their bpm's off, and that 10% of the time they are inacurate like ****, like I dont even use mixmeister anymore.
A lot of this can be curbed by common sense. It's not that difficult to tell when Mixmeister is wrong. On static bpms, Mixmeister is a very quick and easy program to grab your BPM. Using common sense, you'd also figure that the bpm of a song would be, for instance, 140 BPM, not 140.02 or 139.98*. If you're that easily fooled by Mixmeister then stay away from it lol. But it's not that hard and still a good tool to use. If you're still absolutely uncertain, then use DDream. Applies for static BPMs only.

*for those of you who don't know, BPMs on Mixmeister are often off by 0.02 BPM.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
TK_unreal
D7 Elite Keymasher

I've already been personally thanked by 6 people. With comments along the lines of "i wasnt able to find DDream anywhere" and if they had found it, "that guide there was way over my head and i didnt feel like reading any of it so i just said **** it and didnt bother learning"

Which leads me to the reasoning to have this thread.. Also thanks Bmah, ill throw that in the OP real quick.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
Jousway
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
A lot of this can be curbed by common sense. It's not that difficult to tell when Mixmeister is wrong. On static bpms, Mixmeister is a very quick and easy program to grab your BPM. Using common sense, you'd also figure that the bpm of a song would be, for instance, 140 BPM, not 140.02 or 139.98*. If you're that easily fooled by Mixmeister then stay away from it lol. But it's not that hard and still a good tool to use. If you're still absolutely uncertain, then use DDream. Applies for static BPMs only.

*for those of you who don't know, BPMs on Mixmeister are often off by 0.02 BPM.
sad thing is, I see people actually using the 0.2 offset in a file rofl, and mixmeister also has problems when a song has irregular beats, like the bpm is stable, but the beats sound off, using what kommisar says "use your ears and get good at music" is best tbh, **** mixmeister

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
i love you
Live a wonderful life~
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
use your ears and get good at music
this is what I still do :')
i love you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
TK_unreal
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
sad thing is, I see people actually using the 0.2 offset in a file rofl, and mixmeister also has problems when a song has irregular beats, like the bpm is stable, but the beats sound off, using what kommisar says "use your ears and get good at music" is best tbh, **** mixmeister
With all this said, people are lazy, and would rather throwing a song in and be given the BPM. I'm not saying your way is wrong, or my way is better by any means. Most people aren't familar with DDream, or how BPM works without MixMeister. One way or the other, it will give you the same result if used properly, and to many, this saves time.