View Poll Results: Two hands, or one?
two hands 15 35.71%
one hand 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Nikyo
FFR Player

Default Two hands? Or one?

Does everybody use two hands once in the range of Challenging + songs here? It is nearly impossible for me to switch from one to two hands in order to keep pace with the Challenging+ songs. I can survive them one handed but my score can't even contest with the top scores, it's usually only 9-15% of total. The problem is that my fingers "tangle" so to say or knock together. I was just wondering if I was just being old-school only using one hand or not, thanks for letting me know if you reply to this.

-Niko
*ps* if you have any suggestions about how to place fingers (pointer,index, etc.) to which key to help that'd be appreciated. I need to try new things.
Nikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dronak Send a message via Yahoo to Dronak

This isn't a whole lot different from the finger placement thread so I'd suggest you check there for answers. It doesn't have a poll like this, but since people describe how they place and use their fingers, it should be easy enough for you to count up the number of people who use one hand and the number who use two.

Essentially retired now, but still ranked on the list of FFR's Top One Handers.
One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Pseudo Skill Tokens unlocked: Numbers 21, 44, 33, 57, 26, 24, 47, 95
Dronak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 AM   #3
Krym
FFR Player

but why do that when u can just look at a poll that only takes 2 seconds

...sorry im lazy
Krym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #4
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

One hand.

But then again, I'm the best one hander in the world, so I could be a little biased.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Kefit
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kefit

One hand cannot compete with the scores of elite two handed players.

But regardless of this, you might be surprised at just what one hand is capable of when you become really good at it. With the exception of the most retarded of the retarded, pretty much everything out there is beatable with one hand.

Add this to the fact that one hand is by far the most fun to play, and you have the reason I play that way. I suppose I am biased in the same way Moogy is, although I am not as good as him.
Kefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Decay
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Decay

I can use both methods, one handed and two handed. However, by far, I get the best scores using the two-handed method. I can AA most songs with One hand, and I can AAA almost anything using two hands.

Both methods, IMO are equally as fun.
Decay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
Rocketto-Dan
FFR Player

I think I clicked the wrong button...>> I only play with one hand, and with only three fingers. Maybe that's why I'm so terrible.
Old 07-3-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Loyal2Death
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Two hands. I feel that if you start from the very beginning find a way for your fingers to be comfortable to lay on each hand. It works out.

~-[L2D]-~

Are you Loyal?
Nows the time to choose
Die and be free of pain.
Or live and fight your sorrow.
Loyal2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Z3ratul
FFR Player

I used to do one, but then I switched to 2. Just switch to 2 and practice on easy-standard stages till you get the hang of it. I just find it more effective

Btw, I use both my index and pointers.
Z3ratul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2004, 04:36 PM   #10
Rocketto-Dan
FFR Player

I use index, middle, and ring finger. Squeeeeeee!
Old 07-4-2004, 02:48 AM   #11
Audhumla
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3ratul
I used to do one, but then I switched to 2. Just switch to 2 and practice on easy-standard stages till you get the hang of it. I just find it more effective

Btw, I use both my index and pointers.
Same thing... oO.

Personally, I genrally use both middle fingers, on really fast streams the index fingers find their way on. On SM, songs with loads of freezes (The Party 4 U that can be found on this site for example) My rings occsionaly get into the mix.
Audhumla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2004, 01:08 PM   #12
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

True, it may be easier if you start with two hands and find something that's comfortable. But I've had trouble trying that. It's kind of cramped trying to get two hands on keys that close together and I normally never use two hands on the arrow keys so doing so for the game feels odd. Obviously it works for some people and probably is useful on the higher levels, but I'm not sure I can adjust to it. Right now I'm finding it simpler and easier to use one hand, but I'm not at the hard levels yet. I may try to find a way to work in my left hand if it gets too difficult for me later one. Now, if there were a way to set your keys, I could make them something like, oh, HJKL for left, down, up, right, and then using two fingers from each hand would be a piece of cake. That would let you pick the keys in a way that's most comfortable for you to use. I don't know if user customized keys sets are possible in FFR or even planned, it was just a general comment. (DWI does let you redefine keys as you like and I assume SM does, too.)

One-Hander Skill Tokens unlocked: The V2 Token, The Patience Token, X_X1MissX_X, AAA v5, T.H.E.G.A.M.E.T.O.K.E.N
Old 07-4-2004, 02:25 PM   #13
DarkLord63
FFR Player

i had been using one hand but now i am trying to switch to two and i have found that now that i am getting the hang of using two hands songs have become a lot easier.
Old 07-4-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
Timme
FFR Player

I found a pretty good hand layout.
Using the num pad, put your left-middle on the left, left-index on the down, right-index on the up, and the right-middle on the right.
That way if you follow your fingers from left to right they match the directions on the screen and you dont have to think so much, it helps with the up/down arrows alot. I got alot better just after trying it.
Timme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2004, 03:38 PM   #15
BConly
FFR Player

I use 1 hand and I consider myself pretty good for being one handed
Ranking isn't the best way to tell skill, but i'm 126th
BConly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2004, 04:05 PM   #16
Dronak
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I may edit this later, but for now I'll just say that using the number pad on my laptop at home is kind of a pain. On a full sized keyboard with a separate number pad it would probably be a lot easier and more comfortable to get two hands on it. On the laptop number pad, built over the normal alphabet keys, it's not as simple.

Edit: I solved part of the trouble I was having -- the number pad keys only worked if I held down the Fn key. By going into the system (BIOS?) setup at reboot, I could change this so that the NumLk key would activate the number pad instead. (It used to serve no purpose at all so changing this option was good anyway.) Now I can use two hands on the number pad keys so I may give it a try for FFR games at some point and see if it's any better than trying to get two hands on the arrow keys.

Old 07-5-2004, 10:20 AM   #17
nivivon
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to nivivon Send a message via AIM to nivivon Send a message via MSN to nivivon Send a message via Yahoo to nivivon

I use 1 hand but not in songs like beethoven's virus because that's wayy too hard to do without 2 hands
Old 07-6-2004, 04:29 AM   #18
Z3ratul
FFR Player

Dronak, good point though. I get WAY more cramped with 2 hands... here I come arthritis!
Z3ratul is offline   Reply With Quote