Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
Jam930
FFR Player

Default Where is Earth headed?

75 rainforest species go extinct per day.

104,000 acres of forest cut down per day.

71,000,000 tons of topsoil lost per day.

4,000,000 tons of carbon dioxide(gas form) added per day

265,000 humans added per day. (Births - deaths)

This was compiled from tons of online research out of curiosity and after doing much cross checking, this is the most accurate it gets.

Discuss
Old 06-14-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I love negative statistics. The best part is what they don't explain.

Of those 75 rainforest species, 50 or so could have killed a human easily. The rest probably went extinct when another rainforest species destroyed them.

Of those 104,000 acres, most of it will be used to put a roof over many people's heads.

Of those 71,000,000 tons of topsoil lost, 70,000,000 is replenished due to earth processes.

Of those 4,000,000 tons of CO2 added per day, there was probably 60,000,000 tons of Oxygen to counter.

Of those 265,000 humans, probably 200,000 won't make it to 10. (Depressing, but not included in her polls).

So there you go. These are raw guesses based on my superior intellect, so don't quote me on any of the figures.

It really won't matter. There's a huge geologic event upcoming that will probably change everything. Initial guesses state that Antarctica will be livable after it happens. That's how huge it is.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to xObserveRx Send a message via MSN to xObserveRx

Earth is headed where it has always been headed: An orbit around the sun.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
DracIV
FFR Player

If only 75 rainforest species go extinct per day, we have a long time to wait for them all to die. There are over 500,000 species of insects (very underestimated) in the rainforests. Remember, it's the tiny ones who die the most and very few large species have gone extinct, maybe 30 total.

104,000 acres of forest cut down, 100,000 replanted, 4,010 naturally grow. Not accurate, but the amount of land covered by forests is actually increasing slowly.

4,000,000 tons of CO2 gas. Hrmm, well, there absolutely nothing wrong with that. Did you know that for the past 6,000,000,000 years we've been losing gas CO2 in the atmosphere at a moderately high rate? We have less than 30% the amount of CO2 that was in the atmosphere during the last era of the dinosaurs. Gaining CO2 and global warming can be extremely good if done at a controlled speed. When the world warms up, the equator doesn't change, but the higher latitudes do. The frozen areas of areas like Greenland and Canada become habitable. The area for animals and humans to live in increases. Crops yeilds soar, because the more CO2 there is in the air the faster plants grow, to the point where you can have Redwoods growing in a matter of 60-70 years instead of 100-200. The only threat from global warming is change in climates and the fact that people will have to change. And besides, that much CO2 is almost nothing in the overall.

And the ones I didn't answer were already answered well enough. Very few of those things are that bad and the numbers don't show the % of change, which is important.
DracIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

It's heading into a class 9 supernova.

Just like Expel.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
chaosjr17
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to chaosjr17 Send a message via Yahoo to chaosjr17

Hmmm... maybe AI will exsist and take over the world... just like in the matrix... that would be so cool, I could live underground and fly around in sweet hovercraft...oh yes.. thats the life for me.
chaosjr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Eventually, internet lamers will outnumber the sane population, making only a select few people intelligent enough to rule the world.

me brasil play futbol jajajajajajajajajajajajajaj

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
pxbluesoul
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to pxbluesoul Send a message via AIM to pxbluesoul Send a message via MSN to pxbluesoul Send a message via Yahoo to pxbluesoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracIV
Gaining CO2 and global warming can be extremely good if done at a controlled speed. When the world warms up, the equator doesn't change, but the higher latitudes do. The frozen areas of areas like Greenland and Canada become habitable. The area for animals and humans to live in increases. Crops yeilds soar, because the more CO2 there is in the air the faster plants grow, to the point where you can have Redwoods growing in a matter of 60-70 years instead of 100-200.
Aaaaaand the icecaps melt. And we all die in a flood.

Oh, and the LJ.
pxbluesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #9
qualy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to qualy Send a message via Yahoo to qualy

I'm sure Earth will develop something to get rid of us once it gets tired of us. (AIDS anyone?)
qualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
I love negative statistics. The best part is what they don't explain.

Of those 75 rainforest species, 50 or so could have killed a human easily. The rest probably went extinct when another rainforest species destroyed them.

wtf? killed a human easily? Few animals simple kill humans for no reason.
I'm talking about the species WE kill by destroyign the rainforests.

Of those 104,000 acres, most of it will be used to put a roof over many people's heads.

Most of the forest growth isn't used for anything, just burned to give way to land, this also takes away A LOT of oxygen from our atmosphere as rainforests are #1 for this. The roof we need above our heads is the Ozone layer.

Of those 71,000,000 tons of topsoil lost, 70,000,000 is replenished due to earth processes.

No. Pretty much none of it is replenished. It's built on and turned into a parking lot. How the hell would it get replenished. This is the soil LOST when forests are cut down.

Of those 4,000,000 tons of CO2 added per day, there was probably 60,000,000 tons of Oxygen to counter.

Rofl. You think that we can just add oxygen to counter mass CO2? Add more of both until the atmosphere begins absolutely enormous? Pft.
The air is a certain % Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon and Carbon Dioxide. We don't just get new molecules of oxygen from nowhere. The air needs to be a certain % Oxygen, and more CO2 means less oxygen.

Of those 265,000 humans, probably 200,000 won't make it to 10.

This is factoring deaths. 265,000 humans are added to the surface every day. As for them not making it to 10, wtf you're talking about.

~Squeek
Don't bring your dumbass guessing bullshit up against my researched statistics. God damnit.

Piss me off.

You failed. Go die.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:10 PM   #11
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
That's pure baloney. Although, the majority of the species "exterminated" haven't even technically been discovered and are just some strange offshoot of some sort of insect, hardly many of them are lethal.

Quote:
Erm.
No.

Most the land destroyed during deforestation does not ever become fertile again.

Quote:
I'm guessing the statistics were net figures, although it's probably not as severe as they say it is.

Quote:
Of those 265,000 humans, probably 200,000 won't make it to 10. (Depressing, but not included in her polls).
Again, not true. It's net, dude. 265,000 people new come into the world every day, net total. That means out of all the people born and all that die, that's how many extra we have left over.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
Jam930
FFR Player

ummm.... read my post. the italics.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:25 PM   #13
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930

Don't bring your dumbass guessing bullshit up against my researched statistics. God damnit.

Piss me off.

You failed. Go die.
Please try to withhold your temper. Remember, bad attitudes turn forums into shitholes!
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:39 AM   #14
alvask8er
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to alvask8er
Default Re: Where is Earth headed?

Quote:
So in these 100k acres, there are 75 species that completely die out and arent located anywhere else in the next 100k acres to be cut down? That just doesnt seem logical to me, but i guess you did extensive research on this.
The trees going to complete waste? Also seems nuts, especially when you think of all the paper in the world. I know we are stupid, but i dont think we would be that stupid to just burn off the majority of the trees we fall...
How long has this been happening? The numbers seem really high to me, esp if you think of it over a year....multiply all that by 365...?
Topsoil:"Earth weighs in at 5.972 sextillion (5,972 followed by 18 zeroes) metric tons." researced that....now i dont know how much is topsoil, but there is a lot of earth left. Now by the time that topsoil becomes an issue, we will have found a way to grow indoors, with out the need of topsoil, or make more topsoil to use in these facilities that would be covering the lost land.
I think earth is headed down the proverbial shitter

I give you credit for researching all of this, and im sorry i cant believe it all, but there really isnt anything we can do to stop this.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:05 AM   #15
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
ummm.... read my post. the italics.
Dear Jam,

You're not the only one that is allowed to shoot down an arguement. I added my own thoughts in on what the guy said.

Sincerely,
Casey

Old 06-15-2004, 04:23 AM   #16
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvask8er
Quote:
So in these 100k acres, there are 75 species that completely die out and arent located anywhere else in the next 100k acres to be cut down? That just doesnt seem logical to me, but i guess you did extensive research on this.

It's not like 104,000 are cut down in one spot in the world. All different forests all over the world are being cut down. And the species extinction is based on how many new species we discover in a given area of rain forest. Ofcourse 2 acres of the same rainforest will reveal LESS new species than 1 acre from 2 different forests, so it's not perfectly accurate or explainable but this is giving the best estimate based on what we've learned.

The trees going to complete waste? Also seems nuts, especially when you think of all the paper in the world. I know we are stupid, but i dont think we would be that stupid to just burn off the majority of the trees we fall...

3rd world countries without the business and man power to sell wood off just burn it or roughly get rid of it in any way possible. They can't afford to get people in there precision-cutting trees. Theres are tons of weird plants and poisonous animals in there.

How long has this been happening? The numbers seem really high to me, esp if you think of it over a year....multiply all that by 365...?
Topsoil:"Earth weighs in at 5.972 sextillion (5,972 followed by 18 zeroes) metric tons." researced that....now i dont know how much is topsoil, but there is a lot of earth left. Now by the time that topsoil becomes an issue, we will have found a way to grow indoors, with out the need of topsoil, or make more topsoil to use in these facilities that would be covering the lost land.

we're not really losing earth MASS but the top soil material is turning into less-useful crap like dirt and desert etc.
One of the main problems is when trash is thrown out. Plastic not being recycles and rather just buried... it doesn't break down well. We're losing our resources.

Sorry Laharl, you are entitled to an argument, thanks for siding with me.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:23 AM   #17
Jam930
FFR Player

Sorry. Double post thing. It showed an error after i submitted it the first time... so i tried again. err.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #18
classof04
FFR Player

Quote:

71,000,000 tons of topsoil lost per day.

4,000,000 tons of carbon dioxide(gas form) added per day

265,000 humans added per day. (Births - deaths)

This was compiled from tons of online research out of curiosity and after doing much cross checking, this is the most accurate it gets.

Discuss

But what are you doing to help. If your not part of the solution your part of the problem. Were just sitting here like a bunch of idiots discussing a very important problem, and just talking about it is doing nothing.
classof04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM   #19
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Yelling at me for trying. At least Laharl countered my statements. What do you have to say to Drac who posted factual evidence? Sure, I may have guessed and I may have been wrong, but Drac was not and you haven't said anything about his.

Maybe if you weren't such a downer all the time you would see the brighter side of life. Are YOU alive RIGHT NOW? Shouldn't you be thankful enough for that?

I'm sick of people who take facts that seem really big and go "Oh crap we're all screwed thanks alot humanity". How could we have made any technological progress without Earth's resources in the first place? Do you want to still be in the Stone Age?

Facts are facts, I understand that. But if you don't do anything to change the depressing facts then what good are you? Me, I'm an Eagle Scout who has been trained to life conservatively. I don't waste water or food or electricity. I conserve all the resources I can.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #20
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Yelling at me for trying. At least Laharl countered my statements. What do you have to say to Drac who posted factual evidence? Sure, I may have guessed and I may have been wrong, but Drac was not and you haven't said anything about his.

Maybe if you weren't such a downer all the time you would see the brighter side of life. Are YOU alive RIGHT NOW? Shouldn't you be thankful enough for that?

I'm sick of people who take facts that seem really big and go "Oh crap we're all screwed thanks alot humanity". How could we have made any technological progress without Earth's resources in the first place? Do you want to still be in the Stone Age?

Facts are facts, I understand that. But if you don't do anything to change the depressing facts then what good are you? Me, I'm an Eagle Scout who has been trained to life conservatively. I don't waste water or food or electricity. I conserve all the resources I can.

~Squeek
*thumbs up

Well, classof04, I researched it and told people about it. That's doing something in my opinion.

Off the top of my head...

I'm not environment crazy but,

I don't litter, I recycle paper, cans and plastic. I don't over-purchase or over-consume. I use public transportation. My family does not own an SUV. I don't leave the water on when I brush my teeth. I take short showers. I turn off lights when I don't use them.