Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
jakeyjake7
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to jakeyjake7
Default Preview of a track I'm working on.

Hello musicians of FFR. Could I get some constructive criticism and some pointers on this. I'm far from done seeing as I'm most likely going to stretch this beyond at least the 1:30 mark. It's fast breakcore, and it's also unmastered.

http://drop.io/padlock/asset/preview-8-wav
jakeyjake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to zajac
Default Re: Preview of a track I'm working on.

I'm going to be completely honest here, but I'm not going to give your sample a chance.

When you KNOW it's only 1/4 (or less) of the way completed and you KNOW it's unmastered, there is simply TOO MANY suggestions that can be made, that don't have to be made if you just finished what you know you needed to finish prior to pre-releasing it.

That and 1:30? For my tracks, and most other people's out there, that's long enough for an intro, drop, and part of the chorus. Hardly anything to listen to.

If you want honest, good, creative criticism, please get your track to AT LEAST 80-90% completion prior to pre-releasing it.

Thanks in advance.
zajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Heartseeker7
Untz Untz Untz Untz
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I like the way this is turning out. Build up inrto would be nice though instead of jumping right into the song though (would add some length ).
Could make for a very interesting stepfile.

Once its done you should totally let me know and PM me.
I want this on my ipod.
Heartseeker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Erothyme
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Erothyme Send a message via MSN to Erothyme Send a message via Skype™ to Erothyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajac View Post
That and 1:30? For my tracks, and most other people's out there, that's long enough for an intro, drop, and part of the chorus. Hardly anything to listen to.
Sorry man, but some people make things other than corny predictable dance music.
Erothyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i agree with kgz a longer intro would be cool

other than that awesome
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erothyme View Post
Sorry man, but some people make things other than corny predictable dance music.
I'm not even going to give into the trolling trying to be done here.

But the truth is, if you know what already needs to be done, and it's only 1:30 in length, what would you like to be rated here? Because, say, you want to know how the buildup sounds, then sure I'll give it a listen and help suggest...

But as far as, say, structure goes and suggestions. There isn't any structure to critique for something that is 1:30 in length.

The fact that it is .wav doesn't bother me in the least bit, if anything, good idea, better sound quality than MP3 compression.

All in all though, due to its' genre, I'm going to have to stick out of this one and keep my helpful feedback to the genres I know much better. As far as from what I heard of all :58 of it (Preview8.wav), sounds good to me so far. I'm trying to compare it to Ladyscraper in my mind, and you've got skill in that area. Keep it up!

Last edited by zajac; 05-27-2009 at 02:20 AM..
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Erothyme
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Erothyme Send a message via MSN to Erothyme Send a message via Skype™ to Erothyme

Quote:
But the truth is, if you know what already needs to be done, and it's only 1:30 in length, what would you like to be rated here?
Hmm, maybe he wants to know if we like it?

Quote:
There isn't any structure to critique for something that is 1:30 in length.
This is absolute nonsense. You're saying that there's no substance to dozens of measures of music. Nevermind that the music theory kids are cool with debating over single notes, apparently a piece of music has to be a certain length to officially have a "structure"!

Zajac, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're being a jerk. A trance-cracker jerk who assumes that all electronic music is supposed to have the same structure as the cookie-cutter bottom-tier least original genres of all electronic music even when it is painfully obvious that the artist is intentionally pursuing an aesthetic domain which lies far outside of the reach of those genres (and their fans who can often be found sucking off Tiesto under his turntables).

I have heard pieces of music which, when finished, clock in under a minute or two and blew my mind. Not everything is designed for you to spin at a trendy establishment while you get overpaid and try to pick up skanks.

This is 25 seconds long: http://ctrlfjesus.com/goods/appelsien.mp3
And I wouldn't have it any other way. It's just as obvious here as it is in jakeyjake7's track that I am not trying to make club music. Upon hearing this, you would look like an idiot for criticizing me for its obviously-intentional brevity. But you might do it anyway, considering this thread. You'd be all, "WHURRS DA DROP, WHURRS DA CHORUS"

Nevermind that jakeyjake7's track doesn't seem to have a chorus and probably isn't intended to have one. You've never heard of stream-of-consciousness, have you?

Now, for jakeyjake7, I do have something to say about your track. Good break-chopping. Don't feel obligated to lengthen the intro because these dudes told you do; I think the quick outburst is badass. That said, do what you want. A longer intro could be pulled off well, too. All you really need to do, though, is extend the track until it feels concluded to you. It sounds good so far. Good luck.

Last edited by Erothyme; 05-27-2009 at 11:07 AM..
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
bluguerrilla
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bluguerrilla

Not to jump on the zajac-hatin'-train but personally one of my favorite albums has half of its tracks at under 1:30 and it's only 6 tracks long. [ur=http://www.cockrockdisco.com/CRD2/albumpages/Crockp3-009.html]Necrobestial Sadobreaks[/url] by Dev/Null and it happens to be exactly this type of music.

Finish it and I'm sure someone will step this for FFR.

Personally I'd like some bigger/fuller bass more often but whatever.

Also, ib4udontmeanmasteringowaitnvm
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
-KIDTHONG-
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to -KIDTHONG- Send a message via AIM to -KIDTHONG- Send a message via MSN to -KIDTHONG-

Nice, longer intro needed.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Erothyme
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerrilla View Post
the zajac-hatin'-train
Yeah, I'm really not trying to hate on Zajac personally, it just really rubs me the wrong way when people ascribe nonsensical standards to music.

I appreciate Zajac's affinity for electronic music greatly, make no mistake. There is far too little appreciation for this realm of music as a whole. And I do enjoy more standard dance music, particularly when the production values are impressive, but I don't find it as interesting artistically (in most cases) as more creative music.

I understand that Zajac is listening as a dance music DJ. I implore him not to. I implore him to listen as an artist.

I apologize for being harsh, but I stand by the content of my message.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

God I hate breakcore now it's so ****ing stupid I used to love it now it's just bull****.

Epic thread killer
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
jakeyjake7
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to jakeyjake7

Ok then. So, I guess I'll attempt the make the intro a little longer, and then explode it. Well, thanks for the advice.
jakeyjake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
iPatcH
Swamp Lemons Rule
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iPatcH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAiOnEi View Post
God I hate breakcore now it's so ****ing stupid I used to love it now it's just bull****.
You're bull****. When done properly, breakcore is amazing. That is, when it isn't chopped up amen breaks. 8D
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
Erothyme
FFR Player

There's nothing wrong with amen breaks. They're just played out.

It's all about the execution anyway.

It's retarded to argue about the merits of a genre based on the work of a novice, though, so I now consider ShAiOnEi likely to be retarded.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Amen breaks are much too overused, BUT every artist needs to get it out of their system at some point haha

And Erothyme. You need to quit trash talking so much. You keep going and going, but the funny thing is, you don't even know me in the least bit!

I find it ironic that you call me a "trance-cracker jerk"...

Did you know that in the 5 years of producing off and on, I've released one single non-broken-beat track, and that was the Topia remix! When it comes to who I'm currently signing to my record label for Beatport; It's DubStep, D'nB, and Breaks. When it comes to who I book for my events as a promoter; It's DubStep, D'nB, and Breaks. (With Electro and House in the 2nd room, cuz that's the only realistic way to get a huge attendance) What is it that I produce on the backend, only to release everything at once like Deadmau5 did; DubStep, D'nB, and Breaks. What do I personally spin when booked; D'nB, DubStep, and Breaks (Sometimes HipHop and Electro/House to make the bros 'n hoes happy).

You not catching a pattern here?

Unfortunately, as a label head, a promoter, a DJ, and a producer, I really DO have to stick to what is mainstream, but I'm at the same time trying to grow the broken-beat scene. Unfortunately breakcore, speedcore, whatever you wanna call those multitude of genres, empties a club (Yes. I've tried it once.)

Erothyme. How about this for you burning your bridges with me, so please feel free to continue ****-talking me, someone you don't know. In the process of getting registered with Beatport, and knowing one of the Exec's personally, I talked with him about the possibility of releasing Breakcore and Experimental IDM from my label for digital release on Beatport, and he says it's not a viable market.

Yes, Erothyme. I was actually contemplating signing you to my label, and maybe someday will if you're interested, but unfortunately it's so very underground still.

So when you think about bashing on me because of the type of music you think I produce, you need to look at the big picture of the music industry, and what I ACTUALLY do.

Now lets end this bitch-fest here.

Jakey, looks like you've been getting a lot of praise for your track so far! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

And some people do it for both fun AND money.

I'm getting close to the point where I will soon no longer even need a full-time or part time job. Sure I enjoy my current Marketing job, but being able to do what I LOVE (Music) 24/7 because it pays my bills and amenities, allows me to turn around and focus that much more on music. Literally 40 hours a week more of focus on music, that I don't have to be wasting working for someone else.

Sure every hobby starts out as just that, a hobby. But if you're able to turn something you love to do into a living, why the hell not? There is nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

This is the internet man. Who really knows anyone Zajac? People have got to stop using that argument.

And I to Im tired of people calling something DNB when its Breakcore, but Id rather correct people than attack them like you are doing Zajac. But other than that, Im mostly with you on what you said. Like you said though, lets end this bitch fest, because there really doesn't need to be drama on a thread of a just-in-comming-out-dj thats trying to figure out how his tracks are going.

This is actually not bad, but the next person that calls this DNB.... I actually wouldn't mind seeing some steppable darkstep songs aka Current Value and Limewax kind. I would jump all over that.

Last edited by operationstrawbarry; 05-27-2009 at 08:10 PM..
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #18
RawMeat786
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to RawMeat786 Send a message via Yahoo to RawMeat786 Send a message via Skype™ to RawMeat786

I myself don't do any music on FFR. But if you are an FFR Music Producer, you can upload music or something, not sure how it works.
RawMeat786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
zajac
aka uAnimals
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationstrawbarry View Post
This is the internet man. Who really knows anyone Zajac? People have got to stop using that argument.

And I to Im tired of people calling something DNB when its Breakcore, but Id rather correct people than attack them like you are doing Zajac.
Huh?

...That and yes, The Power by Current Value. That would bring me back to playing FFR hahaha
Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
operationstrawbarry
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to operationstrawbarry Send a message via MSN to operationstrawbarry

Quote:

...That and yes, The Power by Current Value. That would bring me back to playing FFR hahaha
Halo, Ion Storm, Cybernetics, Tecktronic, Fear, Death Marching, Peace, Strange Peace, Empowered, Faith.... I can go on forever. All can be found on youtube. Those are the ones that come to mind. To me these are the best of his. Probably because I listen to them so much.

The Power is just to.... its just not chaotic enough for me LOL.

If Darkstep/hardstep were more steppable, Id be all over that.
operationstrawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote