Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-8-2004, 06:06 PM   #1
themanwithsauce
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to themanwithsauce
Default violent video games = violent people?

I've been hearing around my school that teachers think that with many of the students getting much more involved with video games, especially the violent games, that the students will become violent people unable to function as well in the working environment or able to interact well with others for school projects or whatever. I dont believe this is true, the people who are vioelnt might just have the tendancy to be violent. No amount of video game playing or any other factor can change that they are individuals who are more violent than others. Id like to hear what other people think so i can have a solid answer to the question of "If you play a lot of video games with violence will you become amore aggressive and violent person?"
themanwithsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
JC86
FFR Player

don't pay attetntion to taht is all up to you if you let a video game get to you than that is bad but unless video games is a great way to get some excitemen in your life
p.s i'm new can someone donate points please
JC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
DracIV
FFR Player

I feel that if someone was violent in the first place, the only effect of the games will be to reveal their violent nature. If they are not, it will not. Additionally, violent nature doesn't necessarily mean inability to function in a school environment. I think that it is quite the opposite when held within bounds. Those who are too quiet and passive usually have the worst experiences in school, while those who are talkative and spirited function best. Quiet and passive people are the ones who come in with guns and slaughter everyone, talkative and spirited are those who usually enjoy their lives and make up the backbone of our country. When kept in check, violence can become talkativeness (when kept from constant argument) and spiritedness (when kept from sadistic). So when controlled and molded by the teachers and parents, violence can turn a person into a valuable asset for society.
DracIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

I totally agree with you, but remember- the adults today grew up in a different generation.
Maybe when we grow up we'll be complaining how... i dunno...

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by esupin
I totally agree with you, but remember- the adults today grew up in a different generation.
Maybe when we grow up we'll be complaining how... i dunno...
They did grow up in a different generation, but it was equally violent:

Assaination of JFK, Malcom X, Martin Luther King Jr.
Vietnam War (lasted 20 years)
Violence on Civil Rights activists

And the generation before that:

WWII
The Holocaust

I believe that Violent Media can cause violent tendencies if unchecked. It happens to stupid stupid children who cannot tell the difference between reality and fiction because their shit-for-brains parents dont know how to raise children because they are too busy being fucktards. So when their children commit violent acts the fucktards go:

Parent A: "Oh, gee, someone is dead now and it is all our fault because we failed to raise our children because be were too besu being fucktards"

Parent B: "Hey, why take the blame for our laziness and stupidity when we can blame violent media!"

Parent A: "OH! And we can sue them for millions!"

Parent B: "IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY! BLAME SOMEONE ELSE!"

Then they all hop in their SUV covered in "God Bless America" stickers that are partly torn because the whole american-pride fad died and they no longer wanted cheesy stickers on their 50,000 dollar SUV so they attempted to rip them off but it proved to be difficult so they gave up half way because doing things half assed is also the American way.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
TheGuyWhoGoesMoo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheGuyWhoGoesMoo Send a message via MSN to TheGuyWhoGoesMoo

I think that the already violent people are just more attracted to violent video games... The video games they play has nothing to do with it, they'd be the same with or without video games.
Old 05-8-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Violence rules.

But then again, so do small monkeys in hampster ball toys and poorly drawn animals who own houses and run a functional neighborhood somehow. (Super Monkey Ball, Animal Crossing, respectively, yo.)

I've got a fair enough balance between the FPS/fighting games and the puzzle/adventure games to not care. Besides, I don't have those parents that only allow their children to play 1 hour a day and only after their homework is all done.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
BluE_MeaniE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BluE_MeaniE Send a message via MSN to BluE_MeaniE

I believe if you're the kind of person who would be affected by video games and become very violent, you would have become very violent anyway if you hadn't played those violent video games.
BluE_MeaniE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-8-2004, 11:50 PM   #9
SpookG
(For Great Justice!)
Retired StaffFFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to SpookG

i play counter-strike, guilty gear, other fighting games, FPS shooters all day long, and I hate violence, don't get into fights, and don't get angry very much. The idea that video games makes kids violent is an excuse bad parents make to take blame off of them raising children wrong.

Royal For Great Justice! Electronic Music est. 1999
kerBLAM

SpookG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2004, 12:27 AM   #10
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Violence rules.
Well put, Squeek; violence does rule. I love it so much that I play violent video games. However, I'm not STUPID enough to go and act anything out, although, conscience aside, I'd like to.

Random acts of violence are done because people are idiots, people have no morals, or both. Parents should shoulder some responsibility for outrageous things their children do (especially if the children are younger), but most of the blame (and punishment) should be focused on the child who commits the act because they did it willingly, and maybe they're just a little fucked up. I know that if I went out and slaughtered a bunch of people after playing thirty straight hours of GTA3 or something, I wouldn't want my parents to be blamed, because they reared me in a loving, moral, anti-violence environment. Just because I went against their teachings and did something stupid doesn't mean they should shoulder the burden. The parents can only do so much; after that the child is on his or her own.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2004, 04:29 AM   #11
perfect_fat
FFR Player

I was an angry disturbed child long before I played video games. I owned the first video game that ever had killing in it. Bezerk for the atari 2600.
perfect_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2004, 09:57 AM   #12
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

I think violent games do affect sub-conscience (i dunno if i spelled it right :S), but there is no way you can practice shooting a gun or whatever on a video game like counter-Strike where you play with your mouse. I also think its somehow genetic, that some people are born like that, but thats just me.
Old 05-9-2004, 08:32 PM   #13
IronMonk
FFR Player

i think that there have always been violent games, cowboys and indians, rock paper scissors etc, etc, and you know there have always been violent childrens shows too now that i think of it. power rangers, any cartoon.

there is no getting around our genetic predispositions to violence, we will alwayse be a violent people. I think its that we as a people need to find a healthy way to express our violence, which is precisely why i play games like that. because they are more fun then beating up those that are smaller then myself, or any other traditional violent passtime.
Old 05-9-2004, 08:36 PM   #14
alextrebek
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to alextrebek Send a message via Yahoo to alextrebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckter
I think violent games do affect sub-conscience
I'll kill you for that >: (

lmfao, j/k
alextrebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-9-2004, 09:07 PM   #15
Takisho
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Takisho

jewpin...holy shit...fucking hilarious
Takisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:35 AM   #16
DJ_Weasel
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DJ_Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_Weasel

Just look at the serial killers. Ask them if they have played grand theft auto vice city,or syphon filter,counter strike or any other games that involve killing people. I bet they would say yes. Same with robbers. Ever since I saw Gone In 60 Seconds, I have always wanted to steal 50 cars in one night. Actually, me and my friends planned to toilet paper 50 houses in one night,lol. Movies and games I think both influence people to do things.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #17
deposition
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to deposition

I cant tell if you are trying to be sarcastic or not.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to xObserveRx Send a message via MSN to xObserveRx

Quote:
believe that Violent Media can cause violent tendencies if unchecked. It happens to stupid stupid children who cannot tell the difference between reality and fiction because their (#$%-for-brains parents dont know how to raise children because they are too busy being fucktards. So when their children commit violent acts the fucktards go:

Parent A: "Oh, gee, someone is dead now and it is all our fault because we failed to raise our children because be were too besu being fucktards"

Parent B: "Hey, why take the blame for our laziness and stupidity when we can blame violent media!"

Parent A: "OH! And we can sue them for millions!"

Parent B: "IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY! BLAME SOMEONE ELSE!"

Then they all hop in their SUV covered in "God Bless America" stickers that are partly torn because the whole american-pride fad died and they no longer wanted cheesy stickers on their 50,000 dollar SUV so they attempted to rip them off but it proved to be difficult so they gave up half way because doing things half assed is also the American way.
Damn, i love you American hating Americans! :P we need more of you on here, i'm tired of being the only person who says the country is going to shit. Come to Canada, you never see Canada hating Canadians, all you see is Canada hating Americans. LoL, we need some of you Americans to come to Canada, and be on the right side of these debates. Well not right side, but a different side. See if you'd be running your mouthes about issues like this in Canada, highly unlikely, but it'd be cool.

Too bad you guys never give that any thought, why? i don't know, i guess it might be that Americans believe Canada is a lesser country, if not, tell me why you'd never consider moving there, and if you gimme some BS weather reason, you're as stupid as parent A and parent B, and you don't need to talk anymore.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #19
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Anyone of you seen Bowling for Columbine? Well it explains why the americans are violent, wich is because they fear everything (muahhahaha i love being canadian...eh!). And many americans will say that it because USA has a violent past, but what about Germany? And others say its because of video games, but most of the violent games come from Japan. There are many reasons to this violence, and it's only because the people of USA are afraid (or is afraid...my english isnt so good). USA may be the most powerful country in the world (for now) but in 30 or 50 years, the present generation will be adult. And this generation, having grown in a wolrd of fear and violence, as well as a lack of education BY THIER OWN FAULT will result in a chaos!!

Sorry if you don't understand a thing of my post...

P.S. even tho i'm talking of a whole generation, it dosent mean EVERYBODY in that generation
Old 05-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #20
IronMonk
FFR Player

w00t for canada! i say we all go the way of some countries that have massive violent penalties to anyone who does things wrong, in some places you get beat with a cane if you spit in public