Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #41
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner
Default Re: how bad is ur eyes be

I'm not going to pass this unless I can get very lucky. The last time I took it I did okay when I fucked with my screen's contrast and vibrancy though~ otherwise just a failure as expected.

First time I took one of these tests was when I was 13 at an optometry and I basically got none of them right.

I'm starting a job in a paint store and I am going to pick colours for people's houses that will stay there for years.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #42
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Bleh. Good enough.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #43
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
I'm starting a job in a paint store and I am going to pick colours for people's houses that will stay there for years.
My color acuity went from being above average to perfect while working at a paint store, I'd see it as a very fruitful experience. As long as you can figure the harmony between colors, you shouldn't have any problems. Sollicitating contrast sensitivity may happen in certain occasions in a day's work, but it's possible to develop this skill within a certain range.

Some interesting reads:

http://www.elsevier.pt/en/revistas/-...ty-in-13188760
http://www.livescience.com/5360-acti...ve-vision.html
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #44
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Also VGA as opposed to HDMI or DVI has crappier color output and could probably mess up this test.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #45
Psittacosis
AKA Cold Kitten

Send a message via Skype™ to Psittacosis

got perfect the last time I did it and got perfect again

Psittacosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #46
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
My color acuity went from being above average to perfect while working at a paint store, I'd see it as a very fruitful experience. As long as you can figure the harmony between colors, you shouldn't have any problems.
If he's working behind the counter, you know there will be clients asking him : "I just removed this small piece of paint from my bathroom wall, can you find this color ?" That's where color discrimination will be helpful.

@Spenner : I thought you already worked in a paint store before ? edit : oh ok

Last edited by noname219; 01-13-2014 at 01:29 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #47
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjayde View Post
My color acuity went from being above average to perfect while working at a paint store, I'd see it as a very fruitful experience. As long as you can figure the harmony between colors, you shouldn't have any problems. Sollicitating contrast sensitivity may happen in certain occasions in a day's work, but it's possible to develop this skill within a certain range.

Some interesting reads:

http://www.elsevier.pt/en/revistas/-...ty-in-13188760
http://www.livescience.com/5360-acti...ve-vision.html
I failed to mention in my post, but I've actually worked for Home Depot for a few years in the paint department already, and I was the most sought after paint employee in my store for recommendations and aesthetic choices/correcting mistinted colours/lotsa stuff. You are very right in that just being in that setting can greatly enhance ones perception of colours-- seeing them beyond the surface, looking for hints of tints (lol) and knowing all about what makes up a specific colour to give an impression of a certain colour, even if it can't be seen as clearly to you.

It's actually a lot of fun for me to play colour detective. If I'm unsure about a colour, I'll look up the paint formula, and I can decide what the colour is very specifically (its easy to imagine what a combination of tints results in after practice with each one).

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #48
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

weeeeeee I can't see

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #49
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

20. Actually better than expected.

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #50
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul...r-human-vision
Some women can see extra colors as they have an extra functional cone (the cell that reacts to wavelengths depending on color) in the retina, 4 instead of 3.

The Wikipedia subsection of tetrachromacy in people:
Humans and closely related primates normally have three types of cone cells and are therefore trichromats (animals with three different cones). However, at low light intensities the rod cells may contribute to color vision, giving a small region of tetrachromacy in the color space.[11]

In humans, two cone cell pigment genes are located on the sex X chromosome, the classical type 2 opsin genes OPN1MW and OPN1MW2. It has been suggested that as women have two different X chromosomes in their cells, some of them could be carrying some variant cone cell pigments, thereby possibly being born as full tetrachromats and having four different simultaneously functioning kinds of cone cells, each type with a specific pattern of responsiveness to different wavelengths of light in the range of the visible spectrum.[12] One study suggested that 2–3% of the world's women might have the kind of fourth cone that lies between the standard red and green cones, giving, theoretically, a significant increase in color differentiation.[13] Another study suggests that as many as 50% of women and 8% of men may have four photopigments and corresponding increased chromatic discrimination in comparison to trichromats.[12] In June 2012, after 20 years of study of women with four cones (non-functional tetrachromats), neuroscientist Dr. Gabriele Jordan identified a woman (subject cDa29) who was able to detect a greater variety of colors than trichromatic ones, corresponding with a functional tetrachromat (or true tetrachromat).[14]

Variation in cone pigment genes is widespread in most human populations, but the most prevalent and pronounced tetrachromacy would derive from female carriers of major red/green pigment anomalies, usually classed as forms of "color blindness" (protanomaly or deuteranomaly). The biological basis for this phenomenon is X-inactivation of heterozygotic alleles for retinal pigment genes, which is the same mechanism that gives the majority of female new-world monkeys trichromatic vision.

In humans, preliminary visual processing occurs within the neurons of the retina. It is not known how these nerves would respond to a new color channel, that is, whether they could handle it separately or just combine it in with an existing channel. Visual information leaves the eye by way of the optic nerve; it is not known whether the optic nerve has the spare capacity to handle a new color channel. A variety of final image processing takes place in the brain; it is not known how the various areas of the brain would respond if presented with a new color channel.

Mice, which normally have only two cone pigments, can be engineered to express a third cone pigment, and appear to demonstrate increased chromatic discrimination,[15] arguing against some of these obstacles; however, the original publication's claims about plasticity in the optic nerve have also been disputed.[16]

Humans cannot perceive UV light directly since the lens of the eye blocks most light in the wavelength range of 300-400 nm; shorter wavelengths are blocked by the cornea.[17] Nevertheless, the photoreceptors of the retina are sensitive to near UV light and people lacking a lens (a condition known as aphakia) perceive near UV light as whitish blue or whitish-violet, probably because all three types of cones are roughly equally sensitive to UV light, but blue cones a bit more.

Personally, there's a range of color that I call yellow that most people call green. The opposite happens less often, where I call something green that someone else calls yellow. I don't think I'm one of these women who see extra colors though, that's an aside. Color blindness doesn't run in my family; my yellow or blue cone is probably 'calibrated' to a wavelength off enough from average such that it comes up enough for me to discern that I probably see that wavelength of color differently.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #51
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Only one eye and I still score perfectly. Bam.

--Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #52
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Larry time i did this i was off by one