Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-9-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX
Default Solar flare.

Up here in NY, many of the schools are either closing or having half-days because of the recent warm front that raised the temperature to a sudden 100 degrees Fahrenheit this week. The half-days are quite welcome. (I only have a week of school left.)

What I'm concerned about is... why scrap school for some lousy increase in temperature? I'm sure millions of other places in the world undergo some temperature increase to well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the summer every year. How come NY has to shut the school districts down just to "avoid a few heatstrokes"? It makes absolutely no sense. It's only early June, and there's bound to be many more upcoming days with higher temperature in the near future.

Moreover, keeping us at our homes will endanger the energy supply with all the ACs and whatnots. Sending us to a usually mandatory facility of education that is poorly equipped with ACs will better support the environment. So what if it's hot in school for a few days? I don't see a reason to skip school because of a bit of heat. As long as we're indoors, we don't get UV-B rays, and very little chance of getting even a bit dizzy from the heat without it getting noticed by a supervisor. Summer is here every year.

Some board of education staff are even saying that official snow days are going to be replaced with so-called "heat days" soon because of global warming etc. I find it ridiculously exaggerated.

In fact, it just sounds like the school wants the medical responsibilities off of their hands while kids are going to and from school. =/ That's my opinion.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)

Last edited by Xx{Midday}xX; 06-9-2008 at 10:56 PM..
Xx{Midday}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to stretchypanda
Default Re: Solar flare.

I would imagine environmental conditions as well as crowding play a bit of a factor in the decision.

But seriously what a bunch of weenies.

Plus if they force you to go to school and some poon who can't adjust to a little sweat faints or dies the school could be sued. Might not be liable but you don't have to look hard to realize that people will sue schools for anything.
stretchypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchypanda View Post
I would imagine environmental conditions as well as crowding play a bit of a factor in the decision.

if they force you to go to school and some poon who can't adjust to a little sweat faints or dies the school could be sued. Might not be liable but you don't have to look hard to realize that people will sue schools for anything.
I see. My parents don't really involve themselves with the school, so I wouldn't know... I don't either. So, they're doing this because they're afraid of being sued? =/ Dumb reason to cut a day short right before finals week.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 06-9-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
Commandersa1
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Most definitely a lawsuit thing. You have to go to school, and if they cannot fully take care of you then they have to send you home. That's why most schools do not allow students to leave during lunch.

What do you do during the last week anyways? I always remember watching movies and playing cards during the last few weeks. I do not know if other schools do this, but if you pass the state test, you receive a 95 on the subject the test was over. If you get commended, you receive a 100. You are also exempt if you have 0 absences. Do other schools do this?
Old 06-9-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My aunt lives in NY. She says it's hot but I didn't know it was that hot. I agree with you, no reason to skip school (I can't believe I just wrote that). Then again, Stretchy has a point. People sue every opportunity they get.
Round 2: 4 Chord Touhou (AAA)
Round 3: October (1.0.0.1)
Round 4: Silly Symphony (1.0.0.0)
Round 5: Hardkore Atomic (4.0.0.1)
Round 6: Blue Rose (2.0.0.0)
Round 7: La Dump (Eliminated for being lazy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him
EAGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

It's been unusually hot here in Quebec too, probably because the flares. Up to 40 degrees (I'm not calculating this into farenheit).
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandersa1 View Post
Most definitely a lawsuit thing. You have to go to school, and if they cannot fully take care of you then they have to send you home. That's why most schools do not allow students to leave during lunch.

What do you do during the last week anyways? I always remember watching movies and playing cards during the last few weeks. I do not know if other schools do this, but if you pass the state test, you receive a 95 on the subject the test was over. If you get commended, you receive a 100. You are also exempt if you have 0 absences. Do other schools do this?
Our junior grade experienced the worst academic scheduling in the history of our school. Not to mention that our generation is the biggest population group for the upcoming decade (which means intense college applications). Due to the terrible scheduling, we ended up cramming for the Regents. Yes, that dumb NY state test that everyone regards as extremely easy. Most of us were almost completely unprepared for the SAT and IB exams this year. We simply didn't have enough time the way we were scheduled to do things during the school year. Curriculum planning ftl.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Actually Sun has been quite dormant in terms of activity for past 2 years. I doubt flares have anything to do with temps ~ ~
Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

It's a cool title. =) Someone should make a song called Solar Flare. =)

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Haha, I'm from the Mojave Desert. Temperatures towards the end of the school year and the beginning of the school year are 96-100+ for about a month. (School ended in June and started in late August)

We never cancelled school. :/

Hell, we even had to P.E. out-****ing-side.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 AM   #11
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

NYers around here are wimps imo. I've been to Japan, so I know a little about high temperatures. On the contrary, all that these students here can do is make the air hotter and dense with their moans and groans.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 06-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
ledwix
Giant Pi Operator
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ledwix Send a message via Yahoo to ledwix

Well, 100 isn't nearly hot enough to cancel school, IMO, but if a group of people isn't normally accustomed to such weather, some people might be stupid and dress improperly. For instance, someone who wears a heavy sweatshirt when its usually around 70 might wear it again the next day when its 100 and stupidly get a heat stroke. Whereas, if it was somewhere where they were used to it being that hot every day, they'd know to definitely dress light.
ledwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #13
s0ulst0n3
<SPACE FOR RENT>
FFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via AIM to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via MSN to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Yahoo to s0ulst0n3 Send a message via Skype™ to s0ulst0n3

Yeah, up here in Ontario all the schools in my area are closed for a couple days. Not due to heat, though. Due to an insanely bad thunderstorm. Oh well.

It's been around 30-40 degrees the past week for us though. This heat wave is annoying as hell.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Also your teachers aren't paid enough to listen to all of you complain AND be insanely hot.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Falling Upon You
FFR Player

When I read the title I thought you were talking about a Dragon Ball Z move, but yeah in PA, we got out early yesterday and today as well because of the heat.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
stretchypanda
shock me shock me
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's also very likely that they're afraid some of the A/C units won't be able to run at a capacity necessary to keep the school even mildly comfortable.

PS I watched them complain about the heat on the Early Show come on you wimps it's just a little heat.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

I got to stay home today up in NY because of the heat.. because the school year is almost over so we have nothing to do basically
Vanilla Mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I'm typing from studenteducation right now. =) It's cold enough for it to be a winter day indoors.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #19
-Barista-
FFR Player

-Barista- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #20
Tired_Old_Man
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tired_Old_Man Send a message via MSN to Tired_Old_Man

It will be hotter and hotter every year until it's too much to be in the sun. Welcome to the apocalypse everyone