Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Let's talk about the video game industry

ITT we discuss general trends in gaming.

I'm sure most of you are aware of my general beef with the current state of things. Back in the 90's, I loved gaming. However, nowadays, I feel jaded. Games have become overly linear, short, and simple, and I dislike how games now cater to the average gamer -- which is to say, not the sort of gamer we had back in the 90's. Casual games have also taken off as a result, with many of the same gripes.

But I'm more interested in what you all think! What do you like about games of old/games of today? Do you like where things are headed? Anything you dislike?
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Let's talk about the video game industry

Banjo Kazooie
Old 08-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

We need more story driven single player games and less of the bullshit multiplayer money grabbing games we have now.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Less gimmicky indie games please?
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
xferrarix
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xferrarix

Video game industry: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

GUYS HAI CALL OF DUTY IS BEST GAME EVAR

aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou errrrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrb

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

there's not much to say about something that isn't good.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
We need more story driven single player games and less of the bullshit multiplayer money grabbing games we have now.
Agrees.
I love complex stories. Been playing Fallout 3 for a year now. There's so much characters and side quests. I'm at 125 hours on this game, and I didn't even finished the main storyline. I must loot everything, that's why it takes me ages, hehe. Then I'm gonna play Fallout New Vegas... crap
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
FFR4EVA_00
FFR Player

a brief summary of what gaming should (continue to) be:
http://i.imgur.com/DgrRf.jpg
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

More IPs, less copious amounts of sequels.

I'm lookin' at you Halo and CoD (BF too, but I like BF better so wutever). Sports games being the exception for me, but only because I like me some NHL. I'd argue the same thing is happening with sports games as well.

Indie games are cool too. Indie devs can come up with some cool shit like Jonathan Blow with Braid, Supergiant with Bastion, and Polytron with Fez.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm actually not too keen on most indie games nowadays. Most of the time they feel like demos for experimental game mechanics than anything else.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
More IPs, less copious amounts of sequels.
I kind of agree, but then we don't get sequels to games that really need it; Shenumue and Mega Man Legends anyone?

What I'm trying to get at here is that gaming franchises that don't get a sequel for years and has somewhat of a cult following, it wouldn't hurt to throw them a bone and make a sequel or something. I'm kinda sick of Mario Party and Call of Duty games just due to the sheer over-saturation of the franchises, especially since sequels seem to override the previous installments entirely in popularity.

Yeah I'm a little irked.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
xferrarix
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to xferrarix

Mario Party 9 was awful
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I'm actually not too keen on most indie games nowadays. Most of the time they feel like demos for experimental game mechanics than anything else.
I get that feeling too, mostly because I think a lot of newer devs are trying to cash in on the indie craze. But, I do find some on occasion (like the three I listed) that easily become my favorite games ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
I kind of agree, but then we don't get sequels to games that really need it; Shenumue and Mega Man Legends anyone?
I'm not talking about all sequels, I'm talking about sequels being released when there isn't a need for sequels (again, CoD). Games that are very story driven deserve sequels if the story telling is good enough or something purely new is brought to the table, just as the same as some movie franchises rightfully earned sequels while some have not. Saw, for instance, is the CoD of the movie industry. People still watch them, but are they really necessary? Similarly, CoD is arguably the same game every year, but with updated graphics, maps, guns, and story line which isn't really the selling point of the game to begin with.

Last edited by Kibblre; 08-25-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Kibblre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Words cannot describe my hatred for CoD and what it's done to the genre XD
Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #16
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
CoD...updated graphics
Nice joke. They've been using the same engine since CoD 4. Or if not, This proves what little differences their new engines have made. I personally can't tell the difference.

As for the topic...I've kinda found what genres I like and just stick to them. I have, however convinced myself never to buy a full price game again (omitting Halo 4 for sure, and the two after that if they seem worthwhile). But CoD hype, Skyrim, Diablo 3 and others were poor full-price purchases, so I am adamant about not making those monetary mistakes.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
nestlekwik
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to nestlekwik

I would just like to see less whining. This includes everyone - developers, publishers, consumers, and so on and so on. There is a difference between voicing opinions and straight-up whining like a little baby. Publishers blame the consumer for everything they don't like and vice versa. I believe everyone shares part of the blame in most cases. Games are supposed to be fun. I wish people would act like it sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar
Naruto Vs Math Class. That has got to be the funniest choice you'll ever make in your life dude.
nestlekwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Senip
Forum User

I've been spoiled by the 90s, like you said reincarnate. We didnt have all the fancy pants graphics so we got really in depth stories for most things. And when they werent story driven, they were hard as balls (nintendo games, anyone?) and fun to play.

The thing that pisses me off the most though, is that because I've been PC gaming, and I'm used to the auto save function, now I forget to save and lose hours of game time, over and over. ffffuuu
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
star reaper
owning ffr since 08
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to star reaper

What gaming company's need to do is stop making sequels for a long time. they need to come up with a solid system for all areas, like single player. it needs a story line, online mult player needs to be more of a secondary thing instead of the forefront of the gaming experience too. also, DLC... i don't really have any of the recent consoles except for the wii (because i don't have money...) and i have heard of allot of DLC coming out that is just not needed, like paying for the ending of a game!? i heard final fantasy XIII-2 did that, and some content that is DLC even on the disk. so, i think DLC should be banned for the next gen consoles, that way no one can depend on it to just slip an extra few bucks, and get lazy with the main product. you know, more product for the money you spend on it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlekwik View Post
I would just like to see less whining. This includes everyone - developers, publishers, consumers, and so on and so on. There is a difference between voicing opinions and straight-up whining like a little baby. Publishers blame the consumer for everything they don't like and vice versa. I believe everyone shares part of the blame in most cases. Games are supposed to be fun. I wish people would act like it sometimes.
I don't see how consumers share part of the blame (except in the case of DRM meant to counteract piracy). There's not much that fans can do to affect the way games are made or the industry as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
But I'm more interested in what you all think! What do you like about games of old/games of today? Do you like where things are headed? Anything you dislike?
I think the last time you brought up a similar topic, I defended developers for the most part. As time has passed - not even from bad experiences on my own part, but rather from news articles and just letting everything sink in - I've become more and more discouraged. At this point, I no longer consider myself to be part of the market. I'll play the games I have, and I'll "ooh" and "ah" when I see the visuals generated by my friends' shiny new consoles. I just find no reason to pay money for new games over other types of entertainment anymore. I haven't seen a major form of innovation in a AAA title in eons. (I haven't played Heavy Rain, to be fair.)

Like you said, though, they're catering to the average gamer. That's how the creators and sellers can make the most money by far, so I can't blame them. I'll keep an eye on how things are going. If industry trends ever shift drastically, maybe my level of interest will be restored.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote