Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
heezay
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to heezay
Default Religion

I'm an atheist, which means I do not believe in a supernatural God. I've been an atheist, or inclined to it ever since I was young, since I've been raised as an atheist, but go to a catholic school. I was born an atheist, just as everyone of you, but haven't "felt" that connection with something superior.

The thing is that I do consider myself quite ignorant about religion and I would like to know about other people's religions and views about it. Excuse me if any of my responses sound disrespectful (e.i: internal disputes shouldn't be part of a religion as all followers go by the same book, yet they exist.), but it's out of ignorance or curiosity. I have no interest in turning believers into atheist and, may I rest you assure, I'm not going to believe in God by what someone tells me. I think of it more as: if it's going to happen, let it be by introspection.

I have most experience with Catholics, but I'd be glad to listen something else there is to be added.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.
Send a message via AIM to Xx{Midday}xX Send a message via MSN to Xx{Midday}xX
Default Re: Religion

I am indifferent on this matter. I believe I am an atheist, but it is hard to tell.

I think of God as the representation of human weakness. Religion gives humans the right to blame God for every event that occurs in our environment and to ourselves. Hence, I despise the thought of God, or the idea that a supernatural existence causes the revolution of time.

It would be easy for me to say something like, "God has brought upon us a disaster. I can't do anything about it, because it is fated that way," but I would rather adhere to the idea that humans have the power themselves to move with a will. That may sound arrogant as the human race, but I think it is the only method of efficient progress as an evolving life form.

Note: I have no experience with what God is according to the various religious entities that exist today. This is my perception of God's existence, and how God came to be in this world.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
heezay
FFR Player

I've had those thoughts but it's saying that their life, not their way of life, as religion should be their life, is quite harsh. I won't treat them as inferior by having that "weakness". Maybe it's something that I just don't have, like the ability to touch my nose with my tongue. Maybe it's good that they have the ability to blame atrocities on a supernatural God. Makes it easy for them.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Location: My own world. Miserable. Disgusting. Appalling. Pessimistic. Horrific. Terrible.

My arguement is that people become indolent when they have the ability to make it easy for themselves. Such indolence will only impede the progress that the human race has achieved. Making it easy for humans to accept various truths doesn't necessarily result in a justifiable conclusion. Blaming God, and not blaming oneself for a certain loss caused by that person, is the most common use of God that I see today.

Also internal conflict between the various religious entities has been a part, if not the whole reason, that caused many of the wars that history has experienced up to today.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
heezay
FFR Player

So, have you always been an atheist? I remember I used to go to church at school when I was around 11 and always confessed my lack of belief as if it were a bad thing. Kind of funny.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I asked my parents, and I seem to be buddhist in family orientation. However, (maybe because we moved to Japan, i'm not sure.) we have a very loose connection with religion. I developed my idea about religion mainly from history, anime, and science. The most influential factor was probably science. The laws of physics, as well as the given and accepted theories of our modern mechanism have brought me to various conclusions about the existence of God, in very twisted and incomprehensible manners (even to myself). Most of the time, I find myself wondering how this conclusion came to be inside my mind. Religion and the existence of God is a very interesting topic.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we believe in only one god and abide by what the bible says.

Pretty much.
Round 2: 4 Chord Touhou (AAA)
Round 3: October (1.0.0.1)
Round 4: Silly Symphony (1.0.0.0)
Round 5: Hardkore Atomic (4.0.0.1)
Round 6: Blue Rose (2.0.0.0)
Round 7: La Dump (Eliminated for being lazy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him

Last edited by EAGAMES; 05-12-2008 at 10:55 PM..
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

I'm wondering what the point of this thread is about.

To find out info about religion you can just go to wiki.

To convert people to atheism find another venue, this forum isn't for preaching.

Debating religion never works here and always becomes a circular argument.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
heezay
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post

To convert people to atheism find another venue, this forum isn't for preaching.

I have no intention in converting people into atheists, it's my "belief".
I rather hear about more personal views about religion. I consider this a very extensive topic and I'd gladly learn from it. Wikipedia is too objective about a completely subjective topic like religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGAMES View Post
I'm a Jehova's Witness and we believe in only one god and abide by what the bible says.

Pretty much.
Does your bible have more than one version? Transcriptions and such.
And what is that 144,000 people that have a spot into "heaven"?
I've vaguely heard about your religion since my school isn't really open to teach stuff from other religions.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Why do people follow their religion in the first place. When did they start following it? It really confuses me.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Xx{Midday}xX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Why do people follow their religion in the first place. When did they start following it? It really confuses me.
I have the notion that it is mostly enforced by the parent, and is not by the will of the child. I'm a kid. I don't know what parents have to say about this.

つまんないシグでスマソ(´・ω・`)
Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
chunky_cheese
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post

The OP wants to know more about different religions from a follower's perspective, as opposed to factual information. But yeah, as Grandia pointed out, this isn't exactly a very good place for religious discussion when things go crazy.

Here are a few places you can try to hear views from real people:

Christianity Christianity Wiki
Islam Islam Wiki
Atheism Atheism Wiki
Hinduism Hinduism Wiki
Buhhdism Buhhdism Wiki

Above I've listed links for english discussion boards for the world's 5 most majorly religions along with their corresponding wikipedia pages.

This aswell Glossary of Religious Terms
Hope it helps.

Last edited by chunky_cheese; 05-12-2008 at 10:51 PM..
Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezay View Post
Does your bible have more than one version? Transcriptions and such.
And what is that 144,000 people that have a spot into "heaven"?
I've vaguely heard about your religion since my school isn't really open to teach stuff from other religions.
Ok, before I go around explaining, let me just say that I preach in Spanish so it's kind of hard for me to translate it since I never do. xD

I don't really understand your first questions but our bible is exactly the same as everyone's in the sense that it has the Hewbrew and Greek scriptures, etc.. except that we have translated it so it's easier to understand. You don't find words like "thou or thee" (sp?) but it contains the same information and has the same meaning.

You're correct that the 144,000 do have a spot in the heavens. Until all 144,000 have been "sealed" (Revelations 7:4-8), or until they're all up in heaven, armagedon won't come (Revelations 7:2, 3).

Now, though the part about the 144,000 is simple but there's a lot of information involved to understand it clearly. Going into the book of Revelations (Apocalypse) is a little complicated but not mysterious.

Hope you kind of understood what I meant. My Spanish > English isn't so great.
Quote:
EA will wander into his house with twenty minutes remaining in the round, load up FFR, realize he needs to ****, go to do so, discover he's hungry, whip up a gourmet meal, return to FFR with five minutes to go, play la camp once, and missflag on the 2154th arrow because scythe of 13 is watching him
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
heezay
FFR Player

Quote:
Everyone is born an atheist. Maybe they teach their young to save them from eternal damnation, where I wouldn't like my sons or anyone to go, if I truly believed in it.

Thanks for the links Chunky, I'll be sure to check them later. Its quite late.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!

Quote:
Pretty self - explanatory:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_did_religion_start
Quote:
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #16
[TeRa]
FFR Player

As an atheist also, I kind of believe in a god, if that's really what to call it. I don't believe that god is that person that helps everyone out, and that we pray to, in fact, I think praying is the most stupid thing about religion almost. The universe had to have started at a certain point in time, and I'm nearly positive science has proven this. Therefore something had to have started it all, and whatever that thing was, I refer to as god. So as I see it, god is dead, if it was ever even a living being, and praying to this god is pretty stupid of people.

Now I tolerate everyones religion, as this I live in America, and that was one of the reasons of this country, but I don't understand how so many people can believe in so much BS and live their life by it.

About praying, I watched a video on youtube a while ago called something like "The Greatest Optical Illusion", in the video it was pretty much mainly commentary saying that praying to god has the same value as praying to a milk bottle. The video pretty much says god is fake, and praying has no meaning at all. I agree that praying to god is pointless, you will not benefit anything from that at all, you will just waste some time. However, I don't exactly understand how religion is still so big, and how so many people still believe in whatever they believe in. Why do so many people go to church or temples or various other things I don't know the name of. I see religion sort of as an addiction.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGAMES View Post
Not what i meant but ok.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
windsurfer-sp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to windsurfer-sp

For God so loved the world that he gave his only son so that anyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

So please ignore Jehovah witnesses if you believe this basic biblical principle.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer-sp View Post
if you believe this basic biblical principle.
Well i guess that about narrows it down to exactly the same thing anyways.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
EAGAMES
Y0FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer-sp View Post
For God so loved the world that he gave his only son so that anyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

So please ignore Jehovah witnesses if you believe this basic biblical principle.
Why would John 3:16 make you say to ignore J.W. if you believe in that basic principle?
Quote:
Closed Thread