Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222
Default Impossible Math Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.minesweeper.com who took it from some other site
If you want a million dollars, the Clay Mathematics Institute is offering such to anyone who can
solve Minesweeper efficiently. Unfortunately, this is much harder than simply finishing a game.

Richard Kaye, of Birmingham University, proved that Minesweeper is an NP-complete problem.
If one NP-complete problem can be solved efficiently then all can be solved. Most mathematicians
do not believe this is possible. If you prove this to be the case you will also win the money.

P problems can be solved in polynomial time: when you increase the number of choices, the
solving time increases by a determined power. The goal is to prove P=NP.

A famous NP problem is a travelling salesman who must find the shortest route to visit several
cities. Simple at first, but the number of potential routes and the time to analyse them increases
drastically! After only 10 cities there are 3628800 routes to analyse. After 100 cities your
algorithm must scan 9.3 x 10157 possible routes. This is greater than the number of atoms in the
universe: the military uses NP codes because you will not live to find the solution!

However, if you could write a Minesweeper solver where the calculations, thus time, only
increased by a power, you would have created a very efficient solver.

Interestingly, this may still mean some problems will not be solveable in your lifetime. Yet, it
also means military codes can be cracked and you could earn a lot more than a million dollars!
I'm not in a high enough math to even attempt to think of the solution, but I know a lot of you are great at it. To me, it seems quite impossible and pointless, but if want to give it a go, I'd like to see your train of thought. Note:I realize many of the world's greatest mathematicians say there isn't a solution.

Last edited by Tps222; 12-14-2006 at 05:59 PM..
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan
Default Re: Impossible Math Question?

You want FFR to solve the P=NP problem? Why not ask us to prove the Riemann Hypothesis while you're at it? >_>
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

I already said I don't know what it is. I also said I realize that mathematicians globally can't solve it. I was just wondering your thoughts on it.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

My thoughts are that it (along with the other six Clay Millennium Problems) aren't worth my time because they're all too far over my head, and $1mil isn't nearly enough to compensate for all the aggravation one would need to put into solving one.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Doug31

It's impossible. I've set it up so that almost the entire thing was mines, and I got the number 8 to appear after the first place I clicked. gg, unless you get really lucky with another guess.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Wilkin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Wilkin

The game determines where the mines are at the first click. Then you can never immediately lose.
╚═╝ ║lll║ ║

OH LOOK NOW THE REST OF MY MUSIC IS NOW VISIBLE HOW COINCIDENTAL IS THAT
Wilkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

I tried one of the Clay million dollar problems - the one about finding a pattern between prime numbers, I think it was?

In any case I jotted out like ten pages before saying, "Hell with this."

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Kains_Avenger_Killer
FFR Player

Just help him, it sounds confusing. When did FFR=Math?
Kains_Avenger_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
spyke252
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to spyke252

Eh.
It seems CompSci would help a lot as well.
But anyways.
Eh.
spyke252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Ah, P=NP

Firstly, noone has even shown that it is possible or impossible to solve (in polynomial time). So, it seems wasteful that one might spend time on it if it isn't actually solvable. P might not = NP. Though, if you could prove P didn't equal NP you could probably get the prize as well.

You're going to have to develop a new algorithm in order to solve it. No current method gives any type of real solution. It requires the use of superpolynomial time (imperfect solution).

Last edited by Reach; 12-14-2006 at 09:30 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

lol... the math genius in Numb3rs spends some of his free time in a few of the season 1 episodes trying to solve P=NP and can't.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
Vests
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Vests Send a message via MSN to Vests Send a message via Yahoo to Vests Send a message via Skype™ to Vests

Anything can be solved at some point, just takes a lot of work . Hell we have thousands of computers working on finding a end to Pi, why not start a endless calculation string on this equation?
Vests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
8Shade8
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 8Shade8 Send a message via Skype™ to 8Shade8

If this is possible to solve, then there is only one person in the universe who can solve it without a computer:
Steven Hawkins

I suggest that you write him a letter, have one of his nursing home people wipe the drool off of it every five seconds and have him solve the problem. If there is anyone in the world who can solve it he can.

N=NP

This calculation can work if N=2 and P=1. LOL. It also works if all of the variables are denoted as zero. Actually, it will always work if P=1. LOL whatever.
I am a huge mathmatics person, and I also used to watch numbers. If they cant solve it even as actors, then screw that, I wont even try. I was in Calc 2 before I left texas (I am now going to the army to interrogat people) and I cant even come close to understanding the complex concept behind that calculation.

People demand their freedom of speech, so as to avoid their freedom of thought. Keep the freedom you possess inherently, before someone else attempts to take it from you.

Last edited by 8Shade8; 12-15-2006 at 11:32 AM..
8Shade8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
8Shade8
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 8Shade8 Send a message via Skype™ to 8Shade8

They offer a million dollars knowing that it is an unanswered question. Thats like asking the FFR community (with a million dollars at steak) what came first the chicken or the egg. It can't be answered without some huge debate. We would need a few super computers to run that, and FFR's server couldn't cut it. LOL.

People demand their freedom of speech, so as to avoid their freedom of thought. Keep the freedom you possess inherently, before someone else attempts to take it from you.
8Shade8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

1. don't double post.
2. this is CT... don't be stupid. Steven HawkinG is a physicist, not a mathematician.
3. your absolutely basic grasp of the concept is not helpful towards any kind of discussion
4. That's. stake. which. interrogate. mathematics. etc, etc, etc...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
Tps222
FFR Player

I'm unsure of the "him" some of you are referring to in regards of helping "him" solve it. What I was looking for was something similar to Reach's explanation of what it is and why it hasn't been solved. I really don't care if it can be solved or not, because it's way over my head.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #17
Billydude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Billydude

hmm... I dont really even understand the question. What is P and N and NP? And I dont know how to play minesweeper. lol. Try translating it in a B+ kind of guy term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
If you eat a pizza it does not give you the urge to fly a kite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner692 View Post
What if Billy talked to her? hes irrisistable
My story
Billydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Well alright, since most people don't understand what P=NP is, I'll explain it.

It has to do with computer type algorithms and how computers solve problems. P is essentially talking about positive solutions, more specifically ones that can be solved quickly in polynomial time, and the answer has to be Yes or no (non yes and no answers are reffered to as FP=FNP). NP is essentially saying that, if P is true, then they can also be computed quickly (by computer algorithms) in polynomial time.

I suppose to understand this you would have to imagine a problem which the solution is obvious, but that would be very hard to compute a perfect proof of it. So, imagine a group of numbers of some size, all integers. Could they add up to zero? Of course, the answer is yes, however, it could take a computer a very long time to prove this is possible, depending on the size of the group.

So a proof of P=NP would say any positive yes or no solution to a problem would say that it is also possible to compute this quickly in polynomial time. So if I say, it is possible to crack a military cryptogram(the answer is yes), if P=NP is true then it should also be possible to compute this and crack the password in polynomial time.

It does get considerably more complex, but most of the problem is in NP. Yes or no solutions are easy, but an NP solution in polynomial time is not. Noone has been able to find an algorithm that is able to do this.

However, that doesn't mean it's impossible. It is most likely very much a possibility, but people like to say it's impossible because...well, mostly because we havn't made any progress on it. That doesn't prove anything though, other than that we arn't smart enough to do it.

A proof of P=NP, in my opinion, is worth far more than a million dollars. If it was proved things would change very quickly. The consequences of such an algorithm would change the computational world quite a bit. Imagine how easy it would be to crack a code, for example in cryptography. Password key safety would immediately become an enormous problem...because anyone would bea ble to crack your key. However, the benefits would outweigh that negative aspect

Last edited by Reach; 12-16-2006 at 10:47 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #19
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Thank you for the explanation Reach
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
RB_Dreamscanner
☭Retired Top One Hander☭
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to RB_Dreamscanner

wow reach dats a..weird avatar u got there and i dont under stand how the he;ll u did thta math problem =/

Retired, Finished at rank 295, Top one hander on FFR
RB_Dreamscanner is offline   Reply With Quote