Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-7-2023, 02:11 PM   #1
Zyxel
Event Staff
Event Staff

Default What Constitutes a "Good Chart"?

I wanna take a stab at charting now that I have a decent bit more free time (and I'm somewhat familiar with the tools, however last time I tried charting i was using ddream in like 2015) and I'd love to make something that is playable and enjoyable. However, I don't think I've developed the skillset required to compose a chart worth playing yet. Any tips or advice for a newbie like me?
Zyxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: What Constitutes a "Good Chart"?

What I look for mostly as a judge (in a rough descending order of importance):

- Sync. This is a critical element of charting. You must properly align the notes to the music, which means you have to use correct bpms and offset.

- Consistency. The charting decisions you make throughout the song should be consistent. When you break that consistency, you must have an explicit reason to justify doing so. For example, you chart a buzz noise with 48ths rolls everywhere but one buzz you did a jumptrill. If there is justification from the song like the buzz is different enough or you layer something else for other justifiable reasons, then it's probably fine.

- Representation. The chart should reflect the song. There are often many many ways to achieve this, but some ways are more intuitive than others. You can have a lot of consistency and good sync, but if you charted the intense parts of a song as the easiest section of a chart, usually you'll get confused looks from people.

- Balance. The chart should have a justifiable difficulty curve. While spikes are fine in certain contexts, if you fail to justify the existence of a massive difficulty spike/increase in your chart, chances are you'd probably want to rethink it.

- Originality. A chart can have all of the above but still be super bland. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with it if the representation aspect is already pretty good given the song, but if people deem it to have a fair amount of leeway to add variety without sacrificing other important aspects, they may suggest it.

I hope this helps you and good luck with your first charts! Keep in mind that 99% of people are pretty bad the first time around, and then it gets better once they get a feel for the techniques used and what people like to play. ^^
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2023, 03:23 PM   #3
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Not everyone will like your charts, and that's okay. It's the same for every step file artist. Don't let criticism get to you.
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2023, 03:49 PM   #4
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

I am monkey booty cheeks at explaining things so please bear with me here

- Try not to copy specific patterns but more of structure.

I used to make the mistake of directly copying patterns back when I used to chart ITG. I would see a cool pattern in a vid of another chart and then try to copy that exact pattern in one of my own charts with almost no regard to how it fits within the chart, the differing BPMs between songs, difficulty spikes, etc. An example of this is bracketing. When I first found out about them I would put them whenever I could in the chart even if a normal jump would've worked just fine. Nothing wrong with taking inspiration from another chart but its important to understand why said pattern works in a chart instead of just putting them everywhere in your chart.

- PLAYTEST PLAYTEST PLAYTEST

Pretty obvious one but playtesting a chart can point out the flaws in a specific section of a chart that looked completely fine in ArrowVortex or whatever editor you use.

If you want tips for what makes a good chart, refer to what OPKiller just posted above me. I was just saying tips that I learned about the actual charting process
If accuracy is not your middle name, my balls smell like lavender and honey.

Last edited by ToonE156; 02-7-2023 at 03:50 PM..
ToonE156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2023, 08:06 PM   #5
Zyxel
Event Staff
Event Staff

A lot of really solid advice, I appreciate y'all.

Is there somewhere I can get feedback / critique and bounce my ideas back? (I imagine probably the FFR discord but I'm not too entirely sure how everything works yet)
Zyxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2023, 08:28 PM   #6
ToonE156
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyxel View Post
A lot of really solid advice, I appreciate y'all.

Is there somewhere I can get feedback / critique and bounce my ideas back? (I imagine probably the FFR discord but I'm not too entirely sure how everything works yet)
The #simfiles channel in the FFR discord (just post a vid or the zip of the file and ask for feedback) or the #charting channel in the Secondary Etterna Discord (my preferred method)

another way to get feedback would be to submit to a pack but its not a recommended way for super beginners.
If accuracy is not your middle name, my balls smell like lavender and honey.

Last edited by ToonE156; 02-7-2023 at 08:36 PM..
ToonE156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2023, 08:38 PM   #7
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyxel View Post
I wanna take a stab at charting now that I have a decent bit more free time (and I'm somewhat familiar with the tools, however last time I tried charting i was using ddream in like 2015) and I'd love to make something that is playable and enjoyable. However, I don't think I've developed the skillset required to compose a chart worth playing yet. Any tips or advice for a newbie like me?
A good chart is simply one thats fun! OP listed the main factors that go into how we judge a chart, though you can have the most balanced, consistent, representation of a song, but if it isn't fun its not a good chart. It can be highly subjective what constitutes "fun" but its a game after all, thats the end goal.

The last tip if will leave you is that your charts will suck. It can take a long time and a lot of effort to get to the point where you can consistently make good charts. Its okay to make bad files and you will look back at your charts later and cringe at how trash they are. Be proud of your charts not because they are good, but because you made them, and that alone isn't an easy feat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

Last edited by storn42; 02-7-2023 at 08:40 PM..
storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2023, 03:36 AM   #8
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

whether i made it or not. if i made it then it's bad

edit: Serious response is that you won't be able to get a practicable answer from anyone. While Opkiller's post listing some elements of a "good chart" are definitely elements that constitute a chart that people would perceive to be good, it's difficult to answer more concrete questions like "how many unique elements must a chart have to be original", "what is the minimum level of consistency that is acceptable in a chart", or "how much of a difficulty spike is an unacceptable one". Charting has mostly been explored as less of a rigorous science with controlled variables and more of an improvisational affair (sometimes with some structure), so there is a lot of intersubjectivity (objectivity doesn't exist in this case) involved in charting and you won't get a clear answer to most concrete questions about assessing a chart.

I think it's still good to consult channels like #simfiles or some judges if you want to get feedback on your chart, but do understand that even if the person assessing your chart is a seasoned charter, they will assess the specific convictions about charting and how it should be done. Some charters will clarify about what you're trying to do exactly because they realise that charting is a very subjective affair, but there's only so much bias that one can mitigate from assessment. All of this isn't necessarily to say that you should avoid hearing from others about what they have to say about your charts and what they think a "good chart" is, but it is to curb your expectations about how applicable one's answers will be to your question, especially when you enter more concrete areas. One person's answers can and will conflict with others. This applies to players, charters, and people who are appointed as FFR judges.

There's also the discussion of distinguishing between "fun" and "good", what are some intersubjective elements of "fun", and whether there is any functional difference between good/fun for most groups of people approaching a chart (whether it'd be playing or looking at it in the editor), but that's a different can of worms altogether.

Last edited by Wiosna; 02-8-2023 at 04:01 AM..
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
Not everyone will like your charts, and that's okay. It's the same for every step file artist. Don't let criticism get to you.
This rings extremely hard. There is not a single person whom is be-all end-all the final say for how a Stepchart should be charted. Most judges on the judge team will have a general idea on what players will like and dislike and you may even get the odd judgment on a file that is an exception to that. It doesn't mean what or how you stepped it is inherently wrong. It could mean that a particular category that Opkiller listed didn't resonate with that individual, or that there are competing songs and interests already in-game, or any number of reasons both with and without bias.

If you're looking for input on how to get into 'charting' in general, make your own pack. When I first started making simfiles, people absolutely hated what I put out. Off-sync, pony music-related, white noise garbage. But, I made what was fun for me to make, put it in a pack and released it. Regardless of whether or not people actually play your content, it will help you create landmarks and checkpoints where you can validate the quality of your own work, and see your own progression of how you improved in charting over time. It also helps bring into view some of the things that you did incorrectly in earlier charts and what worked well in more recent charts when you have multiple data points of your own work to compare it against.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 02-8-2023 at 08:28 AM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2023, 11:54 AM   #10
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

As someone who doesn't use a lot of more, for lack of better words "traditional" methods, the best advice I feel qualified to give is that you should make a synced piece that you think represents the music. If it helps, set the rules on what layers with what, and what you do, and don't care about representing.

It won't make fine china, but you'll get in a good ball park of consistency by doing that. The best of the best fucked up somewhere, you will as well.

Also, I think trying to make a pack is solid, but subbing to a few might be a bit better initially if you asked me personally.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2023, 04:11 PM   #11
_choof
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

opkiller's post is good for an idea of what makes a competent chart
your charts are good when they're not just playable, but fun to play
_choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2023, 06:40 PM   #12
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

By asking this question and reflecting on the answers you're doing better than most already.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-8-2023, 08:02 PM   #13
loftyb
Dump Judge
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

When the chart you are charting makes you smile
Old 02-8-2023, 08:23 PM   #14
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftyb View Post
When the chart you are charting makes you smile
I like this answer a lot.
Old 02-8-2023, 10:27 PM   #15
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If you go back to play your file after some time then you know you made a chart you enjoy and tbh that matters a lot more than other people's opinions
Old 02-9-2023, 05:58 AM   #16
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Quality of responses to this question has improved dramatically over the years. Good job everyone

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2023, 08:01 AM   #17
riktoi
FFR Player

a good chart is one that has my favorite artists
riktoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2023, 10:54 AM   #18
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The definition of a good chart? Where you start like—you like, you start with like a nice roll... like—(snare rush fades in). And then you go—you get like sorta crazy with your patterns—you're like—(cymbal crashes appear, breaks follow). Right? And then you like step something like... scary? Maybe like, 'Ooh yeah, a freaked out child in the woods.' And then you do that again. You go like—(snare rush fades in again, more breaks follow). And that's pretty much it.
Old 02-9-2023, 03:47 PM   #19
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

1.) A good chart should in some way represent the music, I think both dump charters and technical charters generally try to follow the intensity of the music.
2.) From my experience people react more positively to charts/songs that have interesting rhythms and pattern variety.
3.) Good is subjective, you may really like a chart someone else dislikes.
4.) Submit to packs/FFR/osu!mania, try to get as much feedback as possible. This is how I grew as a charter and this is how I'm still growing. Feedback is everything.
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2023, 05:19 PM   #20
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nkeyz View Post
1.) A good chart should in some way represent the music, I think both dump charters and technical charters generally try to follow the intensity of the music.
2.) From my experience people react more positively to charts/songs that have interesting rhythms and pattern variety.
3.) Good is subjective, you may really like a chart someone else dislikes.
4.) Submit to packs/FFR/osu!mania, try to get as much feedback as possible. This is how I grew as a charter and this is how I'm still growing. Feedback is everything.
never osumania

not even fucking once
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote