Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #41
Jam930
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Of_The_Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pridemaster7294
Death isn't anything to be afraid of. You know it's there, and you know it will soon one day be your time to join those long past our time whether there's a Heaven and Hell or not. It could just be that mankind hopes for a life after death. Therefore, making a religion.

Not fearing death... just doesn't make sense.

Why would you fear anything more than death?
People afraid of spiders and afraid of the dark... but not death?

Death is horrible from every angle... except from the Flanders'.

Either you go to hell or you cease to exist. Both are terrifying... unless you're absolutely certain that you're gonna go to heaven... a coveted luxury.

To be afraid of death just doesnt make sense. Death is nothing more than another form of life, whether you believe in God or not. If there is a God then you start a new life in Heaven, Hell or in Reincarnation. If you dont believe in God then you start a new life 6 feet under the ground.

Im not afraid of Death, im one of the believers that earth IS Hell, in the Bible it says God threw Satan down to earth, so why WOULDNT i think this is hell?

Death is another form of life? No offense, but I've never heard anything more stupid and that's no fault on my end.

...you think earth is hell? Oh yeah, God created hell in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Earth doesn't fit the description for hell either. Fiery pain and anguish for eternity? Well... then God created Adam and Eve for the sole purpose of sitting around in hell... and what exactly is the punishment for being bad before you die? Going to hell? Oh wait... that doesn't quite work out does it?

Quote:
And no, theres a saying that Babies cry when their born cause it hurts, A.K.A. it hurts to enter our world and to take our first breath. And its only to be expected that it hurts to leave this world. And gj at saying we're all gonna go to hell, you know that means you too right?
I don't really see what your point is with the whole crying baby thing but ok.
Good job? Thanks. =/
Old 10-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #42
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Pascal's wager is still flawed up to the ying yang. I would disregard it completely. It's illogical.

And if earth is hell...well...hell rocks.

Not only that, that's illogical yet again. I thought hell was suposed to be ...the absolute of all evil and eternal punishment even though I don't believe in hell. You could find much greater hells in this universe. Go land on venus. Hell, step out into the vaccuum of space. Pass through the event horizon. Earth is an amazingly beautiful and heavenly place compared to...most places in the universe. The earth isn't perfect, but it is hospitable and breeds life.

I wouldn't call death another form of life, but a part of it. The end of life. I don't think it should be feared because fearing something that is inevitable is kind of silly. It's just something that has to be accepted.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #43
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

Reach is the only one making a shred of sense in this topic.

I've thought of death for the past while as if you are anaesthetised, permanently. If you've ever been under anaesthetic you'd know that you don't feel the passage of time, you don't dream, nothing happens. Thats how I imagine death, its not a bad thing, you're not alive to experience it. Life on Earth kicks so much ass though, so its not a big deal. If I get in my 80 or 90 so years of enjoyment from it I think I got a good deal.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #44
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

Consider this:

Don't define your existence in terms of life and death. They're overused and heavily connotable words.

Instead, define it in terms of consciousness or unconsciousness. Death would basically just be an infinitely long period of unconsciousness then. (note, death != unconsciousness, state of death ∈ states of unconsciousness).
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #45
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Not really.

Everything inside of you is still functioning when you're unconscious XD Death is when everything in your body no longer functions. Infinite unconsciousness would be like a coma.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #46
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

But you don't feel anything or realize anything in your body is working when you're unconscious, hence the term.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #47
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

You rot away and decompose when you're dead.

It's still totally different. I don't see why you'd need to use a silly term like unconscious instead of death. Death is death. It's not that hard to comprehend...

Sure, to you it's the same thing. You'd experience the same thing. That's kind of obvious. But it isn't death XD I guess its a suitable term for those confused as to what you'd experience when you're dead.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #48
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Quote:
And no, theres a saying that Babies cry when their born cause it hurts, A.K.A. it hurts to enter our world and to take our first breath. And its only to be expected that it hurts to leave this world. And gj at saying we're all gonna go to hell, you know that means you too right?
Babies cry when they enter the world because they have to learn how to breathe on their own. That's why the nurse will gently hit the baby if it doesn't start crying on its own.

As for death, I'm more worried about my loved ones if I were to die now. If you have nothing to live for, the least you can do is make a difference in someone else's life.

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #49
Yanah_God
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Yanah_God Send a message via MSN to Yanah_God

When I die I want to be cremated or frozen. I just can't stand the thought of rotting. :P

I believe that when you die you are totally gone, that the only trace of their personality/consciousness/soul/what-have-you is left in their decaying brain matter. I don't believe in reincarnation, heaven, hell, any of that stuff, just death. I can't see myself ever believing in such things, since they just don't make sense (in my opinion).
Yanah_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #50
qualy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to qualy Send a message via Yahoo to qualy

Like a lot of the people in this thread have said, I believe death is just nothing. No afterlife, no heaven, etc etc. I'm more afraid of how I die, rather than dying itself... however, I've heard from others that your first experience of near-death (like nearly drowning or something) is very enjoyable... and assuming you survived it, if it comes a second time around (assuming it's the same thing that happens), it's pretty scary, since you know what to expect.

To talk about something earlier in the thread (I don't remember where though :P)... we can't imagine nothingness... that's why we have the number 0. It's to represent nothing (last time I knew anyway), which we really can't imagine.

It's something that's inevitable, like Reach said (a lot)... no point in being afraid. IMO, just enjoy what life has given you... it's a privelage even being given life, let alone being born in a developed country.
qualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #51
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I don't understand how going through a near-death experience could be ENJOYABLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #52
qualy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to qualy Send a message via Yahoo to qualy

Because (again, this is just what I've heard from people who've had them) as you are dying, every enjoyable moment flashes through your mind in slow motion, you're not aware of the world around you, not aware you're dying, just reliving your life in slow motion. I would assume that after those moments relived, nothing ensues. And assuming you survive, going through it a second time is the bad part, because that doesn't happen, and you know what to expect.

But what do I know? I've only heard it from my mom/step dad's builder (nearly drowned, twice), I don't know the experience myself.

edited to add "I would assume" sentence. Also, just for the record, by a "near death experience", I don't mean the type where you see a tunnel and a light and all that kind of stuff that you hear in magazines (edit: not discrediting those people, I'm sure those experiences occur too, just not every situation is going to be that, as explained above).
qualy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #53
omegamaster1
FFR Player

How can you say death is not scary. The thought of everything that you have the ability to experience taken away FOREVER is very scary. of course it wont be scary when you die, but when your alive and you think about death its scary.

If you dont think death is scary then youre more scared of death than I am.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:12 AM   #54
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm not scared of death; I'm scared of it coming too early.

Everyone dies and all good things come to an end, so there's nothing scary about that, but to have everything stripped from you when you're not ready is quite scary and rather infuriating, to me.

--Guido

http;//andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #55
flash_revolution
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

I think that when you die, You appear all over again.
You don't know what happened...Until you see your dead body on the ground!
hehe. I got that from TV...thanks to the movies Ghost and Down to Earth...
flash_revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #56
Jam930
FFR Player

That's why earth's population is staying at exactly the same level.

...oh wait.

Not being afraid of something simple because it's inevitable makes no sense to me...

Death: You're going to die in one hour.
Person: OH MY GOD!!
Death: Well... death is inevitable.
Person: Oh right... hahahah... damn. Whew!

Soothsayer: There is a very, very remote possibility that a gigantic spider will crawl into your mouth and lay hatchlings... which will slide down into your lungs and hatch a few days later into a small army of poisonous grabs who make strange whistling noises as they saw through your flesh and bone on their way to your brain and out your eye sockets.
Person: =O
Soothsayer: Just kidding, it's inevitable. A gigantic spider WILL crawl into your mouth and lay hatchlings which will slide down into your lungs and hatch a few days later into the little poisonous grab things.
Person: Man... you had me for a second. I actually believed that there was a good possibility that a gigantic spider might not ever crawl into my mouth and lay hatchlings which will slide down into my lungs and hatch a few days later into little poisonous grab things who make strange whistling noises as they saw throught your flesh and bone. Hah haa... good one.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #57
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Guido summed it up.

Fear of dieing early is what sucks, not dieing in itself. When I die, it better be a kickass death, none of that organ failure boringness. *Looks at Guido's TWG story of my death*. That one should do it.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #58
Blobicus_Prime
FFR Player

i believe that you aren't six feet under, that you don't go to heaven or hell. I believe that you are the energy that keeps all things alive, the spark that starts life. I believe you live on as that energy, be it in a sentient form or not. After all, what are bodies? Nothing but vessels. When people die, that energy moves on. Call it a soul, if you will. i'm not afraid to die, i'll just become that energy, and move on, and my body will nourish plants and animals, once again feeding the insatiable loop that is life and death. As to what my energy will move on to, I cannot say. Who can? Sometimes i wonder. I feel it impossible to believe in anything, because no one has any way of knowing. Like when the ancient humans attributed natural disasters to gods. Why wou;d there be a sentient being that controls all? It's just a simplified form of polytheism- belief in many gods. Monotheism was the romans' solution to giving belief and faith to those they conquered.

Yeeeeaaaah, thats pretty much it. Might as well brighten up this post with a few meaningless emoticons.
:P :P :P 8)
Blobicus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #59
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Should have brightened it up with some grammar.

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #60
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Matter = energy.

Life =/= energy.

Death is about when life ends, so what's the point of talking about what your decomposing body does?

As for it being impossible to believe in anything, it's quite possible and quite easy. You take people's word for things all the time. If you're just referring to the part after death, well, again, you can believe whatever you want and it'll be just as possible as anything else.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Quote: