Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Afraid of death. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=32500)

shanokin 10-2-2005 10:41 PM

Afraid of death.

I was wondering what you're thoughts were about this. Do u beleive in heaven or hell? Are u afraid of death? Do u think well live this life out and when we die, we become something else, or do we just lay in dirt for the rest of humanity? Please dont start a flame war about beleifs.

Personaly I think about death and cant see myself as someone else.

Tasselfoot 10-2-2005 11:07 PM

RE: Afraid of death.

No. No. No... 6 feet under is all we are.

Please learn correct punctuation, capitalization, and spelling before posting in CT. Thanks.

msbrunnettemickey 10-2-2005 11:12 PM

Wasn't there a topic about this...

I believe there is heaven.
First we end our lives on Earth, and we start a new life in Heaven.

Or... you might be sent back to Earth, for a punishment.

People believe Earth is hell =/

(Read the book 'The Five People you Meet in Heaven')

talisman 10-2-2005 11:12 PM

I'm afraid of dying but not of the concept of death nor the state of being dead.

no yes/no no basically.

omegamaster1 10-2-2005 11:14 PM

No heaven. No hell. I think when you die its just like being asleep. Only you dont wake up.

talisman 10-2-2005 11:17 PM

I'll believe heaven or hell if it happens, but I honestly haven't seen proof beyond a reasonable doubt that either exists.

msbrunnettemickey 10-2-2005 11:21 PM

You know why we don't know anything why we are still on Earth?

Someone is preventing us from knowing.
He/She/It doesn't want us to know.

Ps. My dad reads these stuff, he studies it.

talisman 10-3-2005 12:01 AM

...what? That made no sense.

We do know "things" though I guess it would depend on your defnition of "things".

If and only if the supposition is made that some form of afterlife exists then the conclusion can be reached that we don't "know anything" about what it is. If that supposition isn't made then knowing anything about the afterlife is irrelvant since it's existence hasn't been supposed. obviously. I'm going to assume that you are supposing that it exists and that we know nothing about it.

From there, still with the assumption that it exists, I fail to see how you've managed to generate an entity, personify it, and then claim that this entity is consciously preventing us from learning about the afterlife during life. That's dumb. How would we know that the afterlife existed if that entity weren't there? Would our dead relatives send us postcards?

If an AFTERlife exists, then it exists AFTER life. There is no entity thus preventing us from learning about it, still with the supposition that it exists, but merely the fact that dead people can't become alive again and tell us what we're missing. The reason living people don't know what happens when dead is because they're alive, not because some random entity is preventing them from learning somehow what happens when dead.

Jam930 10-3-2005 03:21 AM

Re: RE: Afraid of death.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegamaster1
No heaven. No hell. I think when you die its just like being asleep. Only you dont wake up.

It's much scarier than that. You don't exist... at all. You're not in some permanent passive state... you're just... not there.

You will never see the sky, smell flowers, talk to friends, love or feel anything ever again. It's just so sad... :cry: .

I don't want to die.

Tokzic 10-3-2005 08:30 AM

RE: Re: RE: Afraid of death.

There's too much strange energy in people... it can't just disappear. So I loosely believe in souls, reincarnation, and heaven, though not strictly what I am told about them.

Neonatrias 10-3-2005 10:03 AM

You know, I'm at school right now and I'd love to make a long elaborate post about what I think.

Unfortunately, I have to summarize. Basically I think there's...Well...SOMETHING ahead. Not necessarily another place, but maybe another version of earth or something. Dunno. I'll edit and/or post again a little later when I have time to explain that.

shanokin 10-3-2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam930
Quote:

It's much scarier than that. You don't exist... at all. You're not in some permanent passive state... you're just... not there.

You will never see the sky, smell flowers, talk to friends, love or feel anything ever again. It's just so sad... :cry: .

I don't want to die.

I was thinking about that today. I thought, "Nothing, we wont move, feel, smell, taste, see. Nothing...". To depressing for me.

lord_carbo 10-3-2005 07:18 PM

Quote:

(Read the book 'The Five People you Meet in Heaven')
Does Tuesdays with Morrie count? Hehe.

Anyway, I'm Christian, so I believe there is a Heaven, but I've always had a wierd perspective on hell. I don't know, I never could believe in hell. Hard to explain, really.

MalReynolds 10-3-2005 07:18 PM

I just thought I'd post these lyrics to a William Shatner/Ben Folds song:

"You'll have time"

Live life
Live life like you're gonna die
Becasue you're gonna
I hate to be the bearer of bad news
But you're gonna die

Maybe not today or even next year
But before you know it you'll be saying
"Is this all there was?
What was all the fuss?
Why did I bother?"

Now, maybe you won't suffer maybe it's quick
But you'll have time to think
Why did I waste it?
Why didn't I taste it?
You'll have time
Because you're gonna die.

Yes it's gonna happen because it's happened to a lot of people I know
My mother, my father, my loves
The president, the kings and the pope
They all had hope

And they muttered just before they went
Maybe, I won't let go
Live life like you're gonna die
Because you are

Maybe you won't suffer maybe it's quick
Why did I waste it?
Why didn't I taste it?
You'll have time
'Cause you're gonna die

I tell you who else left us
Passed on down to heaven no longer with us
Johnny Cash, JFK, that guy in the Stones
Lou Gehrig, Einstein, and Joey Ramone
Have I convinced you?
Do you read my lips?
This may come as news but it's time
You're gonna die
You're gonna die

By the time you hear this I may well be dead
And you my friend might be next
'Cause we're all gonna die

Yeah, oh maybe you won't suffer and maybe it's quick
Why did I waste it?
Why didn't I taste it?
You'll have time
You'll have time cause you're gonna die
Yes, you're gonna die
You're gonna die, I tell you
You're gonna die
You are gonna die

'Cause maybe you won't suffer maybe it's quick
But you have time to think
Why did I waste it?
Why didn't I taste it?
You'll have time 'cause you're gonna die

Live Life
Life life like you're gonna die
Because you're going to
Oh yes
I hate to be the beater of bad news
But you're gonna die

Maybe not today or even next year
But before you know it you'll be saying
"Is this all there was?
What was all the fuss?
Why did I bother?
Why did I waste it?
Why didn't I taste it?"
You'll have time, baby
You'll have time
'Cause you're gonna die
You are gonna die
Oh yeah

Enjoy those.

GWAHAH!

Mal

Pumble 10-3-2005 07:24 PM

A lot of people are developing their own opinions about death and such nowadays rather than conforming to their religion's views. I've met very few people who believe in the Bible's exact depiction of hell.

PS. lol william shatner

cmb 10-8-2005 03:41 PM

As long as you believe in christ there's no need to fear.Just worry about how you die :wink:

iggymatrixcounter 10-8-2005 04:03 PM

I'm surprised a 'religion' topic has gone this long so far without being locked. But my belief is that when you die you're dead until the Resurrection (ya know in John 5:28,29) Then that goes into another topic. But basically when you die, you're dead. No feelings, no thoughts, no worries, no suffering until the Resurrection.

LEGO 10-8-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam930
Quote:

I don't want to die.

I disagree completely. You do have the correct beginning, though. Because you are nothing, there is simply not a reason to be sad. You can't feel, you can't perceive anything. This means that you simply aren't. You may think that if one can't experience joy/happiness, that would be sad. But what's sad about nothing, if there isn't any cognitive thought with you anymore? It's not peaceful, but hell, it's not anything. Death is just detachment. Be sad for those who will grieve of their losing you, but that's all.

Reach 10-8-2005 04:11 PM

I don't believe in afterlife, nor am I afraid of dying. What happens happens. I know I will die having enjoyed my life, so nothing is lost. I believe in absolutely nothing after life, unless you want to get into a weird idea I have...but...I figure for the most part, a dead person is dead. Your brain cells die and there is no longer anything happening. You don't know you're dead... It's just an absolute nothing, which you arn't even aware of, therefor the entire existance of everything relative to you is erased.

Snapps 10-8-2005 04:14 PM

It's like a 0th dimention, we can't comprehend what nothing is.

Same as Black and White if you think about that one. Maybe white, but the darkest black you can't imagine.