Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
Artic_counter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Sword Art Online

Well, I don't know about the anime, but the light novel was a pretty fun read.

Artic_counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #22
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
I've only seen 6 episodes but it feels like there's some pacing issues going on. For people that read the LN's, are there random timeskips as well? It feels kinda...lazy? I dunno. There's also a bit of wasted potential in terms of exploring some of the issues (ie PK's, how people settle in the towns, explanations of character development (like how the main chick was all typical anime loner "i'm doin this shit for ME aite pcE" in the first ep but then the next time you see her she's all sociable and junk), actually showing the dungeons and bosses and the like, etc etc) but it's only ep 6 for me so we'll see.
Yeah, i agree totally with you on the timeskips, I mean giving the setting having a small time skip here and there wouldn't be too bad because watching kirito grind mobs half the episode wouldn't be all too fun i felt the character development could have been stronger for sure. A few side things seemed to have been touched on but there was some wasted potential in more than 1 spot. Unfortunately, the Light Novels still have those time skips but there is a bit more detail so its not so bad. Still, I'm pretty invested in the series. I'm holding off on reading Volume 3 until the ALO arc wraps up. This latest episode was pretty interesting, I'm curious how things will develop.

Get Kancho'd

FontSize72LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

Unfortunately I know a bit more about Sword Art Online than I should, but if you don't like something then give legit reason's why of course. I will give the positive that SAO's backgrounds are gorgeous in some scenes.
In the middle ground the composer for SAO's music is famous for composing music for fate/zero. And while it is nowhere NEARLY AS GOOD it still is okay at best.

Now for the negatives:
Exploring the relationship between Kirito and Asuna was one of the biggest mistakes I could have ever seen done. The relationship between them was so rushed it was to the point you could honestly say "what relationship?"

The battles were terrible. It consisted mainly of horrid choreography and one frame combat where the opposite party stands still blocks blocks. And then the other party then exchanges blows. Also most of these battles were just one frame combat. Only decent choreography was in episode 2.

The pacing was terrible simply enough. Lets face it. The side stories were pretty much irrelevant and the characters in them were too. Even then when the main arc starts you are dealing with a huge skip in floors which make pretty much no sense once so ever.

Finally, the reveal
This is probably where sword art online proves to be totally worthless. Finally, due to Kirito being butthurt about losing a duel and having no legit proof that Kayaba is Heithcliff he decides to attack him. If there was logical reason behind this I would have accepted this, but in the end Kirito was just suspicious cause he lost. Cause apparently his ego in the fictional RPG is so huge he can't lose to anyone. Its to the point where he can solo a boss by himself due to his years of intense training. Gary stu much? THEN we have the scene where everyone is paralyzed. No one can do shit. Yet oh whats this???!?!?!?! Power of love? is that the antidote against game manager's??? oh shit. Asuna manages to get in the way and save Kirito. SO cliche it ****ing hurts. No wait then Kirito gets stabbed and he dies? he ****ing dies??? oh but wait protagonists are an elite class who are immune to death. He comes back which seems to be a ghost and kills heithcliff saving the world apparently.

Finally ending SAO
In the end everyone seems to be alive and Kirito who had just been mad at Kayaba looks at him and just wonders why he made this world. Of course maybe you would expect some complex reason, but like a retard he just goes. "I dunno...." And explains all this TRYING TO BE DEEP bullshit. "what about those 4000 people who died" he pretty much answers with "they are dead." Kirito who was just mad a second ago just looks at Kayaba and smiles like a ****** and goes "You will find your answer some day." or some gay shit like that. The only realisitic shit about this was that Kirito wakes up looking like shit. felt good.

In the end this sounded VERY unprofessional but this is exactly what you are going to get just from the first half alone.
4/10

edit: thus proves that somehow due to advertising and unique concepts any anime can become popular.

Last edited by Tyson ultima; 10-17-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Tyson ultima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #24
swordmasterz
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to swordmasterz

srs anime discussion inc
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #25
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

sorry for double post but sao in a nutshell
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #26
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson ultima View Post
Review.
I can't help but agree. Still a better love story than twilight anime than .Hack though.

After watching the most recent episode (14 iirc) I just went into a semi rage. It was already going down, but did it have to go THERE?

The pacing was god damn awful. It's just eyecandy. Popular as hell eye candy that makes you feel like an outcast for not liking it. I might continue watching as a sort of "let's see if it actually goes to shit like I think" sort of thing.

I kinda feel bad about how they took a good concept (really good actually. Lots of potential.) and messed it up by rushing it.

edit: still a guilty pleasure

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 10-17-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I quite enjoy SAO tbh. It's not good, but it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #28
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson ultima View Post
In the end this sounded VERY unprofessional but this is exactly what you are going to get just from the first half alone.
4/10
I'd probably give it around a 6/10 overall because of the animation, but the story was normal and predictable.

There's no reason to hate on it just for being popular though. If you don't enjoy it then don't watch it.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I'd probably give it around a 6/10 overall because of the animation, but the story was normal and predictable.

There's no reason to hate on it just for being popular though. If you don't enjoy it then don't watch it.
I simply watch everything. I have a friend who is going into animation so in order to get an understanding of what he goes through I watch the bad and the good no matter. Beside when you watch the bad you appreciate the good alot more. And once more even if SAO wasn't popular I would probably still give it that same 4 out of 10. If 5 is average then in a professional sense 4 is barely below average which yes this does apply here. A good example of an anime that had been poorly executed to this level would be a show like guilty crown.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #30
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

Actually, the plots are cliché, but they always made it a little unpredictable.
You can expect the protagonists to survive, sure, but it crosses that line where you DO think "wait, are they really...?". And it even did happen, but everyone complained about the time skips and bladeebla...

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #31
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

new SAO up NAO

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
Old 11-8-2012, 01:03 AM   #32
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

Just watched episode 18...
Does Suguha realize she's been playing with her brother? I can't tell... :S
Old 11-8-2012, 01:11 AM   #33
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight

Answer to Crash.
I'm wondering the same thing because they make it seem like she does but then they're like lol she's going to go make him a sandwich while she knows he's still in the game.. wut? who knows anymore, story went to shit. it's all about her non-tits now.
Old 11-8-2012, 01:27 AM   #34
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

This show suddenly got worse than Mirai Nikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

What's wrong with Mirai Nikki?
ololwrongthreadandbumped

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
Old 12-6-2012, 09:34 AM   #36
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
Too many major plot holes with the story line.

Jerky transitions from the writers trying to force you into thinking certain thoughts about characters, then switching it up with a "ha! gotcha!" tactic.

[ Link ]
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
ololwrongthreadandbumped
Mirai Nikki was one of the most godly anime in the beginning, however the second half just drove too off of the original concept and tried to be something stupid or something that it is not and made itself terrible.

The beginning was simply cool ass gimmicks and introduction of characters, murder, and fighting. Then probably up till the take over the Mayor's building arc left a lot of people disappointed. It was supposed to be the best arc in the series, but the anime dulled it down. Then like both the anime and the manga decided to rush for a cop out ending.
Old 12-6-2012, 10:32 AM   #38
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

I enjoyed every bit of it actually. I may be vain, but I never noticed these plot holes or forced character progression. Could well be because it's around the fifth anime I finished; you can't know clichés if you don't know about them.
The only anime that disappointed me in the later part of the series is Death Note, they should've stopped halfway...

But on topic: Sword Art Online is getting quite drama and slightly predictable. Still enjoying it for what it is. Like eating a cheeseburger.

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
Old 12-6-2012, 11:29 AM   #39
Izzy
Snek

Lets all just watch Pyscho-pass and robotics;notes instead.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2012, 11:34 AM   #40
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Lets all just watch Pyscho-pass and Shinsekai Yori instead.
Fixed