Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to RB_Spirit
Default Re: I wasn't done with atheism/theism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELRayford View Post
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." -GB Shaw

Nothing has bred as much intolerance towards our fellow man as religion has. So much death and persecution has been done in the name of religion, and it's still happening.
If we are to succeed, we need to work with our fellow man and focus on fixing what is immediately important, the tangible realm of existence you and I currently reside in, not what may or may not happen in the unproven afterlife.

We need to do away with these intolerant beliefs which are holding us back, and be united not as christians or muslims or jews etc, but as the human race so that we truly explore the vastness and beauty of space, both inner and outer.

There is no need for religion, a person can live a full and rewarding life without any faith. Almost every aspect of human interaction that is claimed to come from religion is as easily and more properly attributed to instinctive survival social interactions that we share with animals. The concern that "yol'll go to hell if you don't belive" is not supported by any reputable evidence.
Neither is evolution IMO, MSM and popular science isn't the only place for logical resources(heh as if, why did i say logical)
Blackflags are worse than whiteflags and AAA's are indicated as yellow in R^3, suggesting that a perfect score is Asian.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Spirit
Reflecting your own beliefs is one thing, but stating how corrupt/insufficient anothers belief is, is downright ignorant.
Like Mollochepalus said, I think you've got the wrong idea. This discussion has started a while back and has now reached a point where it has been pinned down to its most fundamental issues. It's pretty clear that if you're getting it out of context you might think it's aggressive to point the flaws of each other argumentation but it's necessary to arising a good discussion. We're not being rude since we know that at the end of the day, we'll stick probably still stick to our opinion. At least we generate reflection for viewers and participants.

As of me, I think religion serves a purpose of faith and moral (reassurance in death) solely and should not be taken as a way of thinking. Either way, there is no evidence in the Bible that says how to use it correctly and it certainly doesn’t say anywhere if it has to be the only component of our faith.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #43
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning
http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...-of-proof.html
This thread is in the Critical Thinking forum. Arguments based on logical fallacies do not have merit.
Maybe you are too focused on why I can't prove God exists to you rather than trying to understand why God exists.

My responses are not for the purpose to prove anything to you. I can not prove why God exists to you. Only God can prove to you why he exists. I can only share with you the knowledge that was given to me through God. You can either choose to accept it or not. That's your choice.

How can you learn anything if you are not willing to accept anything? When you are in grade school, or high school, or college, do you not sit and listen to the information that your teacher/professor shares with you? How do you expect to pass your courses if not to study the material that is to be given during a test or exam?

The reality is this: you are choosing which bits of information you are willing to accept rather than keeping an open mind as to the possibilites of what information or knowledge is out there that you currently do not know. Just like now, you do not know God, but if you truly wanted to know God, why spend your time disproving him instead of accepting the "word" that is given to you? When you want to pass a math test, do you not try to understand the material given by taking notes or mentally storing it, or do you spend your time constantly arguing with your math professor as to why such an equation came to be; one who is trying to teach the class the material so that they may learn? Most of you who ask me about God don't want to know about God, so you will not understand. Just like those of you who do not want to pass a math test, will not study or will not pay attention in class, so you will not understand all of it and most likely not do well on the test.

If your central focus is to argue or dispute everything you don't understand, then frankly, you don't understand life. This only makes you horrible listeners and eventually miserable people, even though you won't openly admit it. do any of you hope to get married one day and start a family? What do you think marriage is? What is marriage based on? Do you think you can honestly say you can manage a beautiful loving family if you're constanly arguing with them over petty things that are unnecessary to argue about to begin with? Is it not better to just forgive the mistakes that occur and continue to love instead of always blaming people for their actions? Why be a hypocrite?

You have to surrender your ego and pride and admit that you do not know everything, and must respect the fact that there is an ultimate authority that is greater than you and I.

I know when some of you respond to posts like these are quick to mock or dismiss certain claims, but have you ever really taken the time to think about the reason why you do this? Are you really content with being this way? There is so much all of you can learn if only you opened your hearts as well as your minds, not because I said so, but because there is something greater then yourselves. A lot of you demand proof and evidence and are quick to want and want and want more. Why be so concerned with what you want? Is that not selfish? When you live amongst a collection of people who constantly want soo much for their own-selves, does that not bring about chaos?

Why waste your time arguing and fighting and always trying to find a reason to prove something wrong when you can spend that time loving your family and friends as you would wish for them to love you? Don't divide yourselves from each other and think you can do everything yourself. You can't. The very foundation of a functioning society is based on the collaboration of multiple familes, not just your own.

I continue to post in this thread despite all the disrespectful trolls because if I can shed some light on just 1 person reading through this thread, then I would have done my job in helping a fellow brother or sister.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #44
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTrixX View Post
The stories in the Bible are historical fact, not myths.
Oh my God. (sorry for breaking the 3rd commandment jk not rly)

Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #45
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
How can you learn anything if you are not willing to accept anything? When you are in grade school, or high school, or college, do you not sit and listen to the information that your teacher/professor shares with you? How do you expect to pass your courses if not to study the material that is to be given during a test or exam?
You can learn stuff without accepting the fundamentals of it. You can learn about the Bible or evolution for exemple without accepting that they are true.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #46
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDest View Post
i believe in a god

his name is moscato
hi fucking five.

This thread is always destined to be dumb. Just stop, please.

All of the atheists on this site honestly would not give a shit about your beliefs if you didn't try to use your "proof" for God to convert us. Your proof is shit. This thread is shit. I'm mad.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #47
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
...I can not prove why God exists to you. Only God can prove to you why he exists. I can only share with you the knowledge that was given to me through God. You can either choose to accept it or not. That's your choice.

How can you learn anything if you are not willing to accept anything? When you are in grade school, or high school, or college, do you not sit and listen to the information that your teacher/professor shares with you?
The information taught in school is mostly readily testable and verifiable.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #48
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

That's not what he intends. He thinks that, since he was probably indoctrinated, when you "learn" something you actually have to interiorize every single aspect of it without any critical thinking.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #49
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
hi fucking five.

All of the atheists on this site honestly would not give a shit about your beliefs if you didn't try to use your "proof" for God to convert us. Your proof is shit. This thread is shit. I'm mad.
Well put. Generally people won't get mad/defensive of their own beliefs unless you ineffectively/rudely shove it down people's throats.

Circular thinking + dodging questions is all I've seen in this thread. Some people have brought up pretty logical arguments and you've seeked to quash them in quite baffling ways. Hands down, the arguments here are meretricious at best. However, due to some of my human nature, I am not beneath arguing about my beliefs.

Last edited by PriestREA; 02-23-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #50
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Why should I believe in God if I can be happy without beliefs? Serious question.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #51
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
hi fucking five.

Says formerly hardcore christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Why should I believe in God if I can be happy without beliefs? Serious question.
THISx10000

Last edited by Mollocephalus; 02-23-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #52
PriestREA
ddkdkd

Quote:
I'd like to second this and ask the same question on Hakulyte's behalf.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #53
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm not trying to convince you to believe anything but, your god doesn't exist in the way you think it does.

God is as real as that Vegeta/Whoever that is in your profile picture JJTrixX.

Last edited by Frank Munoz; 02-23-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #54
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
I think I can predict the answer, and I know how I would respond to that answer, but I'll let who you directed it to answer it.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #55
JJTrixX
Green & Gold ReflexKage
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Why should a student continue their education beyond the 8th grade?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #56
PriestREA
ddkdkd

Quote:
Because jobs require prerequisites to ensure worker capability and competency. An 8th grader generally lacks the mental capacity and/or knowledge to ensure a steady career and growth in their future lives. That's a very bad way to answer Hakulyte's question, so I'll pose it again.

Why do people need to believe in God when they can be happy without those beliefs? Isn't life not about the betterment of one's psyche (through wellness exercises and critical thinking; not necessarily spiritual enlightenment) and physical state?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #57
Frank Munoz
Vophie
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
I am honestly really disappointed in this answer.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #58
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
arguing with people as to whether or not they believe in a higher power is akin to arguing about whether or not they enjoy the taste of salmon.
Except no one argues that your life is shallow and you're lost without salmon.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #59
PriestREA
ddkdkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post
Except no one argues that your life is shallow and you're lost without salmon.
You are very lost without the guidance of Salmon. Go forth and embrace its pink fleshed glory.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #60
Tarrik
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tarrik Send a message via Skype™ to Tarrik

This thread makes me sad
Closed Thread