Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to see the death of Microsoft Points?
Yes. 15 78.95%
No. 1 5.26%
Undecided. 1 5.26%
I play on other game systems. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
DotKritic
Forum User

Default RUMOR: Microsoft point system to be killed by the end of 2012

Quote:
According to rumors, those pesky Microsoft Points will be gone by the end of 2012. For the uninitiated, Microsoft Points are the system of virtual currency used to buy content on Xbox LIVE, Zune Marketplace, and Windows Mobile Marketplace.

The points, which do not correspond to actual money in a way that makes sense to human beings, seemingly have no purpose except to make you spend more money. If you don't know how much an actual item costs, you're more likely to fork over points for it. It's like trading tickets in at the arcade. Can you believe this bouncy ball that would only cost me fifty-cents at the store was only 12,450 tickets? SCORE! Plus, you can only purchase microsoft points in bundles, and because of Microsoft's pricing structure, you always end up buying more points than you actually need, which means more money for Microsoft and a pair of sunglasses for your avatar.

While most other app stores use dollar-to-dollar cost models (except for the Nintendo Wii, which also uses points), Microsoft has stood by their confusing and convoluted system that makes you feel like a clueless American tourist trying to figure out what 34,000 Yen equates to in US dollars so you can get a new girlfriend pillow. Now, it seems the system is so out of line with the way the rest of the industry does business, that Microsoft might actually have to price things at what they cost, and not in their archaic system of space bucks.
Link.

What do you think?

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
prefx
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to prefx Send a message via MSN to prefx
Default Re: RUMOR: Microsoft point system to be killed by the end of 2012

Lol Spacebucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
Like, grind2 feels like what would happen if Dead and Direct had sex with Frictional Nevada and had a sick, warped lovechild on crack, and then that child took an epic dump on your lawn. That dump = grind2
Second Place in D4 of Popsicle_3000's Christmas Spectacular GG Megamon
prefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Squares, the Cube
Companion Cube
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Squares, the Cube

I would much like to see the death of the Microsoft Point System. It seems so much like a failing economy that gives no benefits to the consumer. First you have to pay a moderate amount for Xbox Live, then they dump on this point system that REALLY cheats you out. I saw good riddance.
Squares, the Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I think one of the reasons they might get rid of it is because of the massive amount of scams that have been going on with stolen xbox live credit card information. People have been using other peoples xbox live accounts to buy hundreds of dollars of "points".
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Emithith
FFR Player

I like the Wii points though, but that's a whole different matter.

I think the era of online shopping needs to kick the can already.. it's annoying for people who don't have credit cards and/or paypal
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

MS Points are ****ing terrible. I always have extra points that I have purchased and can't use towards anything because of dumb amounts. I'd rather pay for the arcade game/content/whatever straight up instead of buying stupid points.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Squares, the Cube
Companion Cube
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emithith View Post

I think the era of online shopping needs to kick the can already.. it's annoying for people who don't have credit cards and/or paypal
I don't see anything wrong with Online Shopping. Generally, the people who don't have credit cards more than likely don't have jobs. Most people who have legitimate work tend to get bank accounts and get a debit card, which can be substituted as a credit card.

Don't have job? Shouldn't be shopping. xD

Though of course this won't apply to everyone.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I think the era of online shopping needs to kick the can already.. it's annoying for people who don't have credit cards and/or paypal I need a job
fixed
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

I never bought any of that stuff because it seems a bit..meh, like the points can be wasted if you don't have enough for something. So I vote goodbye.
BethanyBangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Squares, the Cube
Companion Cube
FFR Veteran

I say....

They make achievements harder to get and use achievement points to purchase stuff.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squares, the Cube View Post
I say....

They make achievements harder to get and use achievement points to purchase stuff.
That's a terrible idea...
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Squares, the Cube
Companion Cube
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
That's a terrible idea...
How so? I would believe it would make playing games more rewarding and would give back consumers back a bit of what they've spent. You pay for the games. You pay for the online services. And then you pay for the DLC, assuming you want it.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
DotKritic
Forum User

Quote:
It helps those of us who have credit cards when that company's store(s) don't have that specific item in stock (and neither do other companies).

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

Imma turn this around.
http://www.gamesta.com/why-the-elimi...s-bad-for-you/
supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squares, the Cube View Post
I would much like to see the death of the Microsoft Point System. It seems so much like a failing economy that gives no benefits to the consumer. First you have to pay a moderate amount for Xbox Live, then they dump on this point system that REALLY cheats you out. I saw good riddance.
THIS is exactly why I do not have an Xbox 360. (Or any current-generation system for that matter, but I wouldn't be opposed to owning a PS3.)

Quote:

Um, no. Online shopping is great. Why? Let's use my grandmother as an example. She needed parts for her old 1950s sewing machine recently. Not particularly expensive parts (<$20 iirc) but rather hard to find. The nearest store that carried reproduction parts wasn't even in the same state. However, the aforementioned Washingtonian sewing supply store had an online store through eBay, so she found them on eBay and now she can sew again.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Squares, the Cube
Companion Cube
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashfan3 View Post
THIS is exactly why I do not have an Xbox 360. (Or any current-generation system for that matter, but I wouldn't be opposed to owning a PS3.)
I quite detest my Xbox 360, but it was a birthday gift. I would much rather own a PS3 or any of the older consoles. The problem I have with new age gaming is how product and cost don't seem to agree with each other. Paying $65 for a decent game is outrageous. Games are too easy, and you beat them way too fast these days.

I like the older consoles because when you spent $40 or so on a game, you got the entire game. No DLC shit you had to buy later or anything like that. Don't get me wrong, being able to buy expansions for games is great, but most companies market their expansions as whole new games. Example: Streetfighter games and CoD games. This is a cheap (though genius) marketing tactic.

The reason I like PS3 is because you don't have to pay anything to play online. Now this is when most people will say "Oh, PSN sucks. 360s is better." Well, no s***. You pay for Xbox Live. But when did online MAKE gaming? When was it absolutely necessary in order to truly enjoy a game? In a world of samey first-person shooters, mediocre MMOs, and a flood of games that are barely decent/really short, anything that promotes you spending more money on this crap should be banned.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

You speak my mind, sir.

I hate walking into a store and seeing games that I know are 5/10 and 6/10 (gamespot rating) titles going for that nasty $60 price tag. They're bad, but when they're made by big publishers like Ubisoft and TakeTwo. Of course they're gone in a month and replaced by other mediocre games selling for the same price. Then you have the lesser-known publishers with their lesser known games who, if they manage to get their games on a big-box store shelf, sell their games for $30. These are the ones I tend to buy more of, because even if they're not so great, at least I didn't pay a small fortune for them. But even this little shred of happiness will go away soon. Big studios are buying up the little guys and pretty soon there won't be any left, and all the games will be $60, or hell, even $80 maybe.

And you're right about the whole DLC bullshit. It's an excuse to half-ass a game in development, finish it later, and in the end make $90-$120 off of a game that, in most cases, nobody will remember in 5 years. These aren't games like Ocarina of Time that are doing this, they're run of the mill CoD titles that nobody plays once the new CoD comes out.

If you're like me want to have fun with game consoles but don't want to feed and promote the sorry state that the game industry is in, buy yourself an old used console and a few games for it. Who needs online multiplayer? What happened to the days where you actually went out and made friends and got together for some Mario Kart, as opposed to playing some rando in Poland that you'll never meet...

BTW: My rule to take a console's launch price, divide it by 12, and that's the most I'll pay for its games. I don't always follow it though; there are a few REALLY good games that demand an exception.

Last edited by Crashfan3; 01-25-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Crashfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
Squares, the Cube
Companion Cube
FFR Veteran

Addressing Crashfan3:

You are definitely the kinda person I could play N64 with all day and have a great time. Load up on the snacks and sodas, and have a day of nostalgia. Assuming you didn't have enough N64 controllers, don't be alarmed. I've got six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermousie View Post
Cool to see someone siding with Microsoft on this, but the points they made aren't really supporting their argument. So they address what irks people about them, but what do they use to support the argument?

1. MS cards are always on sale and cheaper than PSN cards. Given this information, how does it support the fact that getting rid of the point system is bad? It doesn't. It's not really part of the argument, and should only be considered as a side note that "Oh, PSN is a bit more expensive.

2. The rewards factor. Companies giving out free MS Points or being able to earn them through competitions. This doesn't explain why eliminating points would be bad either. Why can't competitions just get you free stuff? Why do you need the points? Why can't you go straight to the merchandise?

3. Tax issue. Now, in most cases, people are buying the MS Points. Buying something so you can get about 20% off doesn't make any since. Ever paid $40 to get 20% off of something else? Unless that something costed like $200+ (20% of $200 = $40), you're not saving anything.

The problem I have with online currency is you are paying real money for fake money. They aren't interchangeable. Lets say you spend too much and you're in a bind. You can't take your MS Points to Microsoft or any other distributor and sell them. Paying real money for fake money is illogical. It would be like using real money in Monopoly to get those blue 50s.