Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-1-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Default Survey: Define "good" music.

Saw this on another website and thought it'd be cool to post here since I'm sure musical tastes here will differ quite a bit.

0. What is/are your favorite genre(s)?

1a. What do you consider good music, either in general or in concrete examples?
1b. How about bad music?

2. Are you biased against some genres because of the fans they tend to attract?

3a. Do you make assumptions about fans of particular genres?
3b. What are some of the stereotypes you are familiar with?
3c. What stereotypes exist about fans of your preferred genre?

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/hir/it?

5. Do you think you have good taste in music?

6. How objective do you think you are when you judge music?

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?
10b. What about particular songs/artists/genres?

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?

13a. Have your tastes or preferences changed over time?
13b. If not, why not?
13c. If yes, in what way?

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?

If this belongs in Media then feel free to move it, wasn't too sure where to put it.
AsphyxZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-1-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Survey: Define "good" music.

double postin lolz

Almost literally anything electronic.

Good music evokes emotions, based on the music itself, regardless of if the song has lyrics or not. The best music, however, forces you to think about the music itself. How it was created, why it was created, what the artist was thinking of when he made it.
My favorite song as of right now: Dragging Afloat - The Flashbulb

1b. How about bad music?
Songs that are mindless, have no musical quality(ies), terrible produced, etc. Being outright repetitive (note that this argument can be used against my favorite genre but there are subtle changes in most electronic music) is bad. The most terrible thing, at least in my opinion, is a set of terribly written lyrics.
Probably the worst song in existence: Ima Monster - Blood on the Dance Floor

Hardly. The only genre that I'm probably biased against is modern hip-hop (mainstream hip-hop).

Not generally no.
Anyone that listens to mainsteam hip-hop is a gangster, anyone that listens to modern rock is a dropout, anyone that listens to metal made in Sweden is a satanist (this is not a joke, it's true rofl).

We all drop acid on a regular basis and have robot ears. To a lesser extent, we all watch anime and play a **** ton of video games (that's in different subgenres though).

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/hir/it?
A person's role doesn't affect whether I like or dislike the music, but their ability to make the music they're making affects it. I usually hold people in better lights if they're either flexible in the music they make or if they're very good at producing.

Do I think I personally have good taste? Yes. Do I think other people respect my musical choices? No, not really. My tastes are extremely eclectic (as well as pretentious and sometimes far-fetched), and people that have listened to different music all their life don't open up very well to stuff like IDM, hard trance, and glitch.

Like I said, my tastes are slightly (really ****in) different than other people, so it's pretty hard to be objective when I judge music.

7. Do you judge artists/bands on their entire body of work, or on a song-by-song basis?
It depends. Some artists you have to judge on a song-by-song basis because they probably had some sort of epiphany and made something really awesome. Then when they try to recreate that epiphany, they fail pretty hard.

8. Do you consider your choice of music part of your identity, image or public persona?
Yes.

9. Have you ever made choices in music based on what your peers might think of you? (For example, do you avoid a certain genre because your friends think it is without merit? Do you listen to genres you don't particularly like because your friends like them?, etc.)
Absolutely not.

10a. How do you feel/react when someone states an opinion contrary to yours regarding music in general?
If it's music that I absolutely dislike, I'm going to bash it (like BOTDF, please don't try to tell me how awesome it is because I can point out a metric ton of musical fallacies). If it's music that I don't have very much experience with, I'll definitely be open to it (a guy at work listens to Atmosphere almost non-stop, so I've grown quite partial to it).

I don't know, I think that's gonna tie into the question above.

11. Do you have formal musical training? (Such as receiving singing lessons, playing an instrument, etc.)
Not formal, but I've messed around with FL Studio for almost 4 years. I've studied a bit of chord progression and kind of self-taught myself musical theory but other than that, no.

12. Who influences your choice of music most? How do you find new music? Through which channels? Through advertising/word of mouth/YouTube/reviews/other?
At first, a rhythm game I play used to influence my choices. As time went on and I centralized my musical choices though, that game influenced me less and my own research (Pandora, Youtube, Last.FM) influenced me more and more.

They've kind of centralized.

13b. If not, why not?
IDK

Sike.

14. Anything you'd like to add on this subject? Any other questions you wish I'd posed?
If anyone is looking for different kinda of electronic music, I have a plethora of music on my computer and I'll definitely be able to point you in a decent direction.
Old 01-1-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
KungFuHustle
FFR Player

Bad music also evokes emotions, and possessing "no musical quality(ies)" is pretty obvious.

Ima Monster made me
KungFuHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-1-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Ambient.

Anything relatively short and what I find replay value in. Multiple factors can determine this.

1b. How about bad music?
Mindless songs, ridiculous repetition, really long songs, ~expressivemanias~ type, pop (except for a select few), annoying vocals.

Hardly. But sometimes fans do make me want to dislike a music artist.

Not really. I couldn't care less.
Hip hop/rap is for "untalented" musical taste, some pop artists are only liked because of looks, etc.

I've heard a few guys say that ambient music is "cold music".

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/her/it?
If they're popular, chances are I probably won't be that interested.

Technically: Not at all. But mine is different and is a "CBF" type taste.

Very rarely objective. It's mainly ~subjectivemanias~ for me.

Sometimes I come across one song from a certain artist/band that I find replayable but the other songs they have aren't as great. I usually don't judge.

Yes.
Absolutely not.

If it's music that I absolutely dislike, I'm not going to like that at all.

Screw them! I shouldn't have to worry about music. If anything, it IS *just* noise. ALL of it is noise, so I hate when people are like omg it's just noise1!1!!1!!!!

No. And I don't plan on it. I used to do percussion though, that didn't go too well.

Who? More like WHAT in my case. STEPMANIA. Abstract steps or dumpmanias. New music sometimes just pops up when I'm searching online.

I have more of a CBF taste now - if I can "picture" a stepfile in my head, I can probably find something about the song for it to have replay value.

13b. If not, why not?
lol

Because the "dump" imaging can turn a boring song into something completely different. This is how I got a CBF type taste in the first place.

I basically distort the meaning of "music".
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-1-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

0. I hate Country and Rap and whatever sounds dumb to my ears, though I have heard a few good songs... I don't know all the different genres... but I like just about everything except those two.

1a. Music that sounds good to my ears

1b. I hate bad music.

2. I don't care

3a. Nope. Do not care.
3b. Rap.
3c. I don't know.

4. If I think they sound good to me, I couldn't care less.

5. Uhhh, my opinion is the only one that matters, so yes.

6. If I hate it... I do not listen to it. If I like it... hooray!

7. I listen to a few songs... if I hate it or like it, etc, you get the idea

8. Hilarious. No.

9. Hell no. But I don't listen to stupid music.

10a. Who cares? I sure don't
10b. Nope

11. instrument, yes

12. Nope. If I come across music from anywhere I will like it, etc. I like a lot of songs on ffr, I don't understand what's up with the japenese crap, though some have good beats to them.

13a. Not really.
13b. Because I am me?
13c. OH GOD STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS... err, wait!

14. Thumbs up!
Old 01-1-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
OrganisM
FFR Player

French electronica, downtempo, progressive rock, blues, trip hop..
This would take some time to define properly, but generally I give points for originality, knowledge of the genre, skill on the instrument, good vocals, quality of production, skill in composition, etc.
1b. How about bad music?
Badly produced, with trite lyrics and formulaic composition.
I have some frustration with the labels put on me for enjoying a wide variety of music, but I like what I like.
We all tend to generalize, and I try to limit that.
"goths" who listen to MCR and Marilyn Manson come to mind.
I don't know if there are any stereotypes for my genres. They're quite specific and often times aren't at the forefront of American pop culture, so they don't generate much attention.
Popularity itself has nothing to do with it. I hate sellouts.
I think I have good criteria, though of course that is subjective.
I am as objective as I can be, though appreciation of the arts is by nature subjective. There is a general framework of concrete criteria, and often times I'll appreciate the technical prowess or capabilities of a musician without particularly liking the music.
Both. It depends upon what they have to offer.
Considering my involvement in DJing and production, I'd say it has a lot to do with it. It is a medium through which I express myself, and I think this is relatively universal for those of my age/generation.
I listen to what I like. I have no interest in friends that wish to dictate my tastes. I learn from them and gain appreciation, and from time to time I hide a guilty pleasure or two, but on the whole, I listen to what I want.
If it's a valid argument, though contrary to mine, I respectfully disagree, or perhaps incorporate it into my philosophy if there's a new dimension to thinking about music that I have overlooked. If it's baseless, I ask them to justify it or rethink their position.
Nobody likes being told that what they like is crap, and I feel the same way. I understand differences in opinion, but what mostly saddens me is when people have a narrow scope in taste.
Quite a bit. Production training, guitar training, piano training, etc.
I look through iTunes' recommendations, blogs and other aggregate feeds, last.fm and other websites to see what interests me. If I like it, I'll buy/dl it and look for contemporaries in the genre.
I would say they have evolved.
13b. If not, why not?
I've grown in appreciation for technique, and my range of appreciation has broadened.
What medium do you purchase music from the most?

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-1-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

Wow, I'm just going to answer the title's question.

Good music has no concrete definition, it's just a person's opinion. Like my opinion that K-Pop idol girl groups are INFINITELY better than ****ty J-Pop girl groups like AKB48 and C-ute. UGH. Can't stand that ****.
Old 01-1-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

0. Rock/Metal. Particularly semi-mainstream post-grunge.

1a. A good opening riff, lyrics that aren't ****, and an overall powerful feeling throughout the song.
1b. People rapping about their cars/money/women/etc

2. Yes. 85% of hip-hop attracts 85% of idiots, in my honest opinion.

3a. Occasionally.
3b. Music taste based on race and geographic origin. It's a stereotype because in many cases it is true.
3c. Typically metal fans are viewed as D&D nerds in their parents' basement collecting trading cards and dragon statues

4. I don't usually like the extremely mainstream (in other words what's playing on the radio every 15 minutes), but I have nothing against listening to a popular band

5. I do. Instead of "oh letz just fill it wif bass lollol den itz a gud song," I know that a truly good song needs many diverse musical aspects involved.

6. I get pretty picky about what I listen to, and often can't stand bands that tour with some of my favorites.

7. This differs depending on the band/artist.

8. Yes.

9. Not really. To bring it to a basic science, if I like it, I listen to it.

10a. Everyone is entitled to listen to whatever they enjoy, so I tend to ignore it.
10b. This one I do take a bit more personal if the offender is of my same musical taste. I usually ask why they don't like band x and what they don't like about them.

11. I do have a bit of skill in drums and guitar, but certainly not good enough to play in a real band.

12. I rely on my friends a lot. My friends link me to new music they found and I do the same, and we build our libraries together. I also use last.fm and Pandora on occasion.

13a. Yes, definitely.
13b. N/A
13c. Ten years ago I only listened to country music, because I was nine years old and that's what my parents listened to.

14. Nope. I enjoyed this survey.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyokou View Post
Wow, I'm just going to answer the title's question.

Good music has no concrete definition, it's just a person's opinion.
Which is why I posted the survey.

I'm really interested in seeing what people have to say about good music, since the site is centered around a music game.

What'd be really cool to figure out is if the music in FFR changes what people see as good/bad music.

ps capsule
Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #10
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

bach

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
bach
cen u plz elabor8 ty
Old 01-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Metal and anything Electronic. (Speedcore, Chiptune, etc.)

I got no idea how to explain "good music". In short, something fast and strong for Metal, catchy and fast for Electronic. Songs like Chik Habit by the Flashbulb or The Resonance by Decrepit Birth.

1b. How about bad music?
Unoriginal concepts, (Love, alcohol) no sign of qualities at all, excessive use of Auto-Tune (Most attempts are bad, not saying that it is ultimately a bad thing to do) and songs that has nonsensical lyrics (Probably one example imo will be like Sorry Sorry or something, idk)

Not really, I am very biased against Kpop though.

I don't usually judge fans but there are some exceptions.

Anyone who listens to metal is emo/goth or anyone who listens to techno is a nerd. I'm just listing a few, I know alot of stereotypes though.

(Answer at 3b)

Popularity means nothing. It only depends on how much he/she/they/it was heard. One of the prime examples is Justin Bieber, heard by almost everyone in the world but I hate it. Although some popular bands are good, I don't mind hearing songs from popular bands and such.

It's really narcissistic for me to say "yes" really. Can people respect my opinion on hating some genres of music? No. Not at all. So in my opinion, I don't think I even need to know if I have a good taste in music or not.

My musical taste is really different compared to the people I know in real life. I'm extremely picky with the music I like, I pretty much dislike 95% of the music today. The other 5%? Probably half of them are just neutral.

It depends.

Definitely.

Absolutely not. I'm not "part of the crowd" or anything, like I said, my musical taste is different compared to the other people I know in real life.

If it's music that I absolutely dislike, I'm going to bash it (like Kpop, Bieber or stuff similar) However if it is music that I never heard of or only heard 1 or 2 songs from that genre, I'll always try.

Same thing as above.

Well yes, I'm in choir.

Stepmania influences my choice of music most of the time but sometimes I search on Youtube to hear music that I like.

Yeah.

13b. If not, why not?
-

When I was like 6-7, I liked every genre, now, I'm 13. I only prefer a few genres.

In my opinion, all music is just music universally. It's just a matter of opinion. Another question I would like to ask is, does the fanbase of that artist affects your preference of the artist itself?
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #13
666midget
FFR Player

Gabber, Speedcore, Frenchcore, Breakbeat & DnB

To me, anything that is very complex and has multiple layers building up to a high point is very nice to listen to, but anything with an extremely hard kick + high bpm is nice. Example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7akyZs3TWBk

1b. How about bad music?
Things that make no sense whatsoever. Even some gabber that I listen to sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, so it depends on the song, not one particular genre or band. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExHkPPYhRo

No.

Not usually.
I think anybody that listens to screamo is an emo, but I know a very light-hearted kid that listens to screamo & death metal, so...
Haven't really heard any yet believe it or not.

No role whatsoever.

Hell no.

I really don't understand this question.

Entire body of work. Why should I keep listening to someone if all they do is pump out shitty music?

Yes.

Hell no. I will never listen to Kesha.

I deal with it. So few people listen to music that is an intense as Gabber/Speedcore in my town that I have only found one other person that actually likes it. Everybody else I have asked has said that the kick is waaaay to strong when it actually defines if it is gabber or not.

What about them?

I play drums.

Through many different websites.

I have been listening to what I listen to forever.

13b. If not, why not?
I like gabber way too much. Nothing is as extreme as it. Metal doesn't even cut it for me.

-

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
males are the master gender because we have mastered the ability to pee on/in various objects with various techniques

women are at least several thousand years behind in peeing technology

they don't even have penises yet, LOL

Last edited by 666midget; 01-15-2011 at 06:25 AM..
666midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666midget View Post
Hell no.
Same here
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #15
666midget
FFR Player

lol. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
males are the master gender because we have mastered the ability to pee on/in various objects with various techniques

women are at least several thousand years behind in peeing technology

they don't even have penises yet, LOL
666midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

good music: a structure composition in which the author expressed his sentiments in complex forums and nuances to give the listener the full effect of his work. See Chopin.

bad music: boom clap boom clap boom clap bitches and hoes
Old 01-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #17
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Classical, Chiptune, Drum n' Bass, Metal/Rock, Trance

Anything that's relaxing to the mind, straightforward through the song, upbeat and catchy.

1b. How about bad music?
Repetition, anything that's mainly gabber (a few I like however), and annoying lyrics.

Rarely.

No.

Screamo = Emo/Techno = Nerd, a lot more comes to mind but not going to list all of them.

Chiptune would be the same as the Techno stereotype around here.

As long as they are good, I wouldn't care.

This is based on the opinion of others, everyone has their own taste.

Barely at all.

Depends on entirely of what they produce.

Very much so, yes.

Never at all.

I'll just deal with it, as mentioned, everyone has their own taste and they should be allowed to express their opinion.

Same as above.

Not at all; however, I have tried to make my own music on FL Studio.

Mainly I would rely on my friends but on a case of "what" would be Stepmania. I would look for new music through YouTube.

Not at all.

13b. If not, why not?
I've been listening to music from calming the mind to anything upbeat, straightforward, and catchy for years.

-

No, every question here is fine.

Last edited by AlexDest; 01-15-2011 at 07:26 AM..
AlexDest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
NixXSkate
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to NixXSkate

Pretty much everything. Most of my stuff centers around Punk I guess, but I wouldn't consider any genres better than another.

A song is good depending on how much it affects me physically, mentally, and emotionally.

1b. How about bad music?
I don't believe in bad music. Just because I don't prefer it doesn't mean it's bad, just not my fancy.

No

No

Blah

Punk is for... Punks? lol

4. What role does a band/artist/genre's popularity play in your like or dislike for them/her/it?
Not at all, but generally I find popular music to be uninteresting, personally, since it's geared large audiences, kinda gives it less of an individuality.

No such thing as a good or bad taste in music.

Blah

Entire body of work. Sometimes the old stuff or new stuff is better than the old stuff or new stuff.

I suppose.

No

Don't really mind.

Why should I care? I trust that my friends give individualized thought of opinions, and don't assume based on others.

Hard to stick with an instrument when you can't get lessons.

I naturally stumble upon music through friends showing me, anime, games (like Stepmania), research on Youtube, etc.

They just keep becoming broader.

13b. If not, why not?
Blah

Pay more attention to details in the song.

Great job on this survey.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

Great thread. Let's do it:

Breakcore and underground Hip-Hop.

General: Ones that pleases me, of course; Concrete examples, defining what I REALLY like: Breaks, huge experimentalism, in many senses, from lyrics to melody, weird time signatures and high speeds.
1b. How about bad music?
Annoying vocals, like screamo, repetitivity (Seriously, go to Hell if you say that Breakcore is repetitive), music like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha do.
-
Yes. One example is Psychadelic, who's, in Brazil, a popular genre and 90% of the, attention to quotes, "fans" are steroid boys, who just listen to this good genre just to have an excuse to fill their asses with mets and ecstasy.
-
Kind of. If any of you guys ever listened to brazilian funk (and understand the lyrics), you'll think every girl that listens to it is a STD-attracting whore and every guy is a virgin dumbass.
Scene kids. Literally kids.
I don't know, maybe "This guy so wants to be underground"?
-
Depending of what I'm listening, I start to get meh when the band becomes too popular. I don't think any of you would be want to be related to dumb people.
Honestly? Yes. Breakcore is a genre that has few fans yet, it's "hard" to listen, like Classical music often is, and it's related to good/excellent music, and shows some incredible creativity from the artists, so yes, I think I have a good taste in music.
-
I'm strict, and sometimes dumb, I admit it: If I like, it's good; The rest is garbage.
-
Entire body of work, because it's what counts.
-
Identity. If it was for image or public persona, I'd listen to radio to be "trendy".
-
No, never. And I'm glad I didn't.
-
General music? I don't care.
I reply. If he/she's still right, he/she's right, I can't fight it.
-
I wish I had.
-
First question: I base my choices on what I like (see Question 1a); I found 80% of my music through Internet, specially Last.fm, who's a good place to find good music
-
Oh God, yes. Check 13c.
]13b. If not, why not?
I came from Linkin Park and Dance music at the age of 8~11 to Psychadelic at the age of 12~14; Speedcore and Death Metal bands (I still listen to them) at the age of 15~16, and since I was still 16, Experimental music (i.e. IDM, Glitch and Breakcore). More recently, Hip-Hop and Dubstep.

I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #20
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

all a good song needs is a 4 on the floor need i say anymore?

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote