Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra
Default Make Stepmania Great Again

I hear overused shitty memes are good for getting peoples' attention, hehehe.

Anyways, I've been thinking quite a bit lately about Stepmania (and in part, FFR as well), mostly in the vein of what could possibly be done to improve and enhance the game as a whole, not just to make it so my keyboard smashing is more fun-ish, but also to maybe even possibly help draw more people into this dwindling community. I think many of us here can agree it would be cool to have some more fresh blood in the community, whether it be our friends, people we know from other games, or even completely random people. Over time, a community that is not experiencing growth will decline in numbers, and seeing as the relative amount of people still engaged in Stepmania/FFR is looking quite low, it could very easily just roll over and disappear one day, and I for one would not like that much.

I recognize that Stepmania/FFR is not the only rhythm game that's dying out, especially in North America/Europe. Compared to what I remember once seeing, the genre as a whole, from DDR, to Guitar Hero/Rock Band, and even the obscure oddball "rhythm" games, like Patapon, has much less popularity, so it would be naive to hope for Stepmania to grow to such a size that it rivals big-name releases. That being said, there ARE still people interested in the genre, look at games like SDVX, IIDX, Osu!, and in asia especially Mai Mai, Reflec Beat and Jubeat. All people, both new players and veterans alike, line up for minutes to play these even still, or rush back home to attempt new high scores and discuss it with their friends, or things that.. well, a decent-sized community would have.

I'm not saying Stepmania/FFR doesn't have any community or people for the record, it's clear there are a few extremely dedicated people who are thick as thieves and do indeed enjoy the aforementioned practices; Anime North and even AGDQ are a testament to that. But looking beyond the top percentile, how many people here have actually been able to discuss, show passion and interest, and mingle (shitty word I know pls no bully) based upon Stepmania, y'know, like a real community?

Anyways, if nobody here shares the same desires for more autistic friends with strong fingers like I do, then I guess that's fine.
But if anyone is in the same boat, and wants to maybe thrust some life into this quaint little community with me, then let's try to do this together.

I took the liberty of thinking up a couple extremely generic and likely over-discussed ideas that drunk me thought were very clever and creative, as a starting point for at least myself at least. Of course, there's no easy duct tape that can be used to stick more people to us, but we can at least add a couple hooks to reel in some more cute little fishies.

I'd say a good way to go is to make the game as a whole easier to get into for the first time. I don't mean making it easier or whatnot, I mean literally making it not take an exorbitant amount of time just to play, because in my anecdotal evidence, anyone I've tried to get into Stepmania has been put off by how it is at the start. Between the default theme (not ragging on SM creators) being offputting, or the lack of any default songs, or the need to explain how to tweak the options to actually make it more enjoyable (raising speed, etc). Yes, there are some tutorials out there that are moderately comprehensive. There are terrific guides for how to download simfiles and what files to look out for specifically, but to the average normie looking in, these are all reasons to not bother so much. In an ideal world there could be some kind of super basic tutorial in-game, but even so much as a text dump filled with info that's easy to follow can help. There's 3 default songs with Stepmania now (last I checked), but that really does not cover much of what is to be offered at all. I realize FFR exists, and it's what I usually point people towards when I want to achieve this, but a lot of people nowadays aren't a huge fan of the less modern styles and graphics and whatnot. I guess what I'm really getting at is that instead of SM being some exclusivist club, making it more open and easily accessible may work wonders.

Obviously getting the name out there helps a TON as well, there's no denying that. Look at AGDQ2016 for instance, after the SM showcase there was a large influx of newer players experiencing sore fingers from jacking too much for the first time. That lasted all of a couple days, until the hype died down and the community is back to where it once was. It ties into my first point as well, but word of mouth in general can be powerful, and if we can have more content being created for SM that catches attentiona and brings people in, then there's bound to be another influx of people, except this time it may last more than just a couple days. The fact that there is actually a decent sized Twitch steamer/youtube maker for SM is neat and judging from how there's people occasionally who say "wow this game is cool where do I get this???" just shows that having figures such as these can help grow the game. So I guess the condensed point of this text is just to make and support content and such perhaps, it couldn't hurt.

Anyways I'm too sleepy to think of anything else for now and I don't even know if this will get much traction. I guess thoughts about whether or not this should be thought about at least would be cool etc etc etc.

Thanks and sorry if you want this to remain a secret club.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
Deadlyx39
FFR Player

Default Re: Make Stepmania Great Again

The only real hope is for a streamer (Basically Staiain) to get really big off of Stepmania.

The game's been out for so long it would take a miracle of epic proportions to bring this back from the dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
Why should I care about this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats in it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz13114 View Post
Fun times and meme sluts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
ew meme sluts
ew fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

[...]

come back

i need to laugh at you

once more

Deadlyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

pretty sure there actually are a shitton of people who play sm, but those people only play undertale mod charts once per year
Old 09-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

All very interesting considering this is one of the simplest, most simple and such a basic level game that is combined with music on again, such a simple and base level. This game should be core material not only for so called rhythm gaming enthusiasts but for planet earth. Think about just how core the four arrows being tapped to the beat of a song is man it is surreal when you think about how just basic level this is nothing more than a rhythm game that can be played on any computer. If you know what a game is, you should know about this game. If you know what music is, you should know about this game. The statistics are astonishing that the small communities dedicated to the 'press 4 buttons to the beat of a hit song' genre have such dwindling and mixed reviews. Furthermore I reiterate by saying it is astonishing that stepmania needs be made great again when it's just so simple and core of a game in terms of just how games are played in general. In closing it is just flabbergasting that this game is not literally the most popular game on earth, not even top 3, not top 10, but somewhere in the second half of the top 500 most popular videogames.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

well put mr flesher
Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Make Quake Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Lol.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Flossy97
FFR Player

We're gonna build a wall, and make osu!mania players pay for it
Old 09-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Wh1teh
FFR Player

didn't read but I agree!
Wh1teh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

StepMania:

Installing StepMania/Getting Packs/Noteskins/Themes:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=133223

Installing Packs:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ead.php?t=2574

Changing Speedmods:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=10284

Learning to use DDReamStudio for stepping:

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=123423

Social Interaction between players etc.

I think Discord Channels could potentially revive StepMania in terms of social interaction between players if we use it as a lobby. (Same idea as Osu's Lobby)
I believe it's currently happening, but it's not known enough yet to be considered a core part of the StepMania Community even if the majority of the veterans are already here.

I'm talking from a "new players" point of view here.

tl;dr: Most of the information you could potential want as a new player is already here, it's just a matter of pointing them in the right direction.

Do you think the front page on FFR should have some sort of "First time playing StepMania?" link with explanations pointing out to all these sticky threads for the sake of conveniency?

I can see that happening for FFR in the future, but I'm not sure about StepMania. I feel like it's already in a good spot.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 09-22-2016 at 08:52 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
pedolad
FFR Player

cool kids club is fine by me
Old 09-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #12
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossy97 View Post
We're gonna build a wall, and make osu!mania players pay for it
a wall of death

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
Old 09-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

SM is an old game for old farts we don't want any young blood on our proverbial lawn

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #14
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Naw but really, I would like to see this game grow but this game is incredibly niche, and rhythm games have really left the public eye. I don't think it's going to get much bigger anytime soon, and I'm fine with that!

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #15
GammaBlaster
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrusizer View Post
pretty sure there actually are a shitton of people who play sm, but those people only play undertale mod charts once per year
megalovania megapack when
GammaBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Do you think the front page on FFR should have some sort of "First time playing StepMania?" link with explanations pointing out to all these sticky threads for the sake of conveniency?
The argument is that a new player who has no idea what the game is wants to just download a game and play, not spend and hour researching.

Also you overestimate people, there's lots of people who don't know how to navigate to the SM folder, unzip files etc...

What needs to be done regarding actual changes to stepmania, imo is:

Make stepmania come with xwidget, work with Mina and make til death the default them, integrate the game with online play so it's basically like osu in terms of profile, leaderboards etc - If I were to design it, I'd make someone configure their profile first time the sign in, set your key binds, speed mod, scroll dir, note skin (include lots of the common noteskins) etc - I feel like the most logical thing would be to encourage spread play right off the bat, rather than having arrow keys be default.

Of course, to implement a leaderboard, there would have to be a standardized song list.. Ive noticed that stepmania online is working on a pack search/a way to index individual files I suppose, from the news post, so perhaps it would be possible.
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

Make Street Fighter/F-Zero/Age of Empires/Timesplitters/Goldeneye/Starcraft Great Again

games lose players

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
Old 09-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #18
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
If I were to design it, I'd make someone configure their profile first time the sign in, set your key binds, speed mod, scroll dir, note skin (include lots of the common noteskins) etc
"Ok I never played stepmania before, but my friends told me to give it a go."
"So let's start this game up for the first time!"
- SET UP YOUR SPEED MOD AND NOTESKIN -
"What is this shit? Let me play the fucking game!"
*never comes back*

Quote:
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING

Last edited by SKG_Scintill; 09-22-2016 at 09:17 PM..
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #19
MarcusHawkins
Constantly Improving!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcusHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
Anyways, if nobody here shares the same desires for more autistic friends with strong fingers like I do, then I guess that's fine.
But if anyone is in the same boat, and wants to maybe thrust some life into this quaint little community with me, then let's try to do this together.
I am one of these autistic people with strong fingers, so I am with you all of the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post

This man is three months too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Guess I'll take another Quality Pack please. I won't have Hawkins luck but I'm sure I'll have badluck7772.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
what the fuck marcus lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
You should all thank MarcusHawkins btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRNGGin View Post
Marcus is probably going to be the main man to win this (You will always be my DDR brother for life, MarcusHawkins! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Kitten View Post
Best Newbie
1st: MarcusHawkins: 4

Up And Coming FFRer
2nd: MarcusHawkins: 3
MarcusHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #20
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Basically I need to put up even more effort to get new people to try out the game (AND STAY) when they stumble upon my strim, sure thing man I'll be putting more effort into that than ever
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote