Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #41
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000
Default Re: legacy files to alter!

letsremovelegacysongsfromlvlranksthread#329

they are staying folks, deal with it...

although I agree that HWG is getting harder and harder to achieve. That unlock is my current goal, but oh well. Not sure if anything should be done about it though. the 50% one is still easy to do cuz there are enough songs almost without counting 9s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #42
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Rarity View Post
Pretty sure Arkuski is a bad poster
the irony

lol jk ily

Last edited by Trogdor!!!!; 04-17-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Trogdor!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #43
anwar-inc
FFR Player

Every song should have a background.

Hi, I'm anwar.
I make music, I listen to music, I blog every now and then and sometimes I play games on the internet.
I've been on this site way too long, but sometimes I can be an ABSOLUTE BOSS.
anwar-inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #44
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Legacy songs are verbad, i'm in for having them moved to a subsection like token songs do.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #45
ULTIMEGA
Torn to oblivion!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
I agree with blindreper, the difficulty of the songs makes them worth keeping. The only suggestion I can make is to color the notes to match the rest of the songs, because blue iz bad.

To be perfectly honest, I never really thought about this. The only problem is that it wouldn't really make the files that much easier, as I'm looking at it.

Actually when you come to think about, maybe they should just keep the original steps but re-sync them to make them match the beats of the songs while also changing the color of some arrows.

As for the .swf files, not sure what's going on here. But I know one thing - too damn bright and needs to be taken care of as quickly as possible.
ULTIMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #46
_Fluttershy_
72 Black Flags & Counting
FFR Veteran

Except for party4u, I wouldn't say any background duly bothers me! It's the sync of the files that usually screw my PA up, and I usually have to play a lot of them on mute. I would definitely like to see them re-stepped, but if not, moved to tokens as it kind of sucks having them on your level ranks. I only just the other day got One Minute Waltz off second bottom of my level ranks heh! XD

_Fluttershy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #47
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

They won't be changed and they won't be removed, however, I believe removing them from public ranks was still up for discussion. If you want anything changed or removed about them though, you can just forget about it as they're part of FFR's history and to put it into perspective: You don't go and touch up Picasso's night sky or an ancient caveman drawing that's found for example into a realistic drawing because it's not realistic enough. That just completely ruins the point of history and any of the foundations of modern day art (and in our case stepcharting).
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #48
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
They are a challenge. The game is supposed to be a challenge. If you're complaining about what you can to take them out, go be a cry baby bitch elsewhere. People have fought through them, and have them AAA'd. Hell, even I did it, and I'm terrible at this game. Stop being ******s, and just play the damn game.
Your personal experience on these songs is entirely irrelevant. The fact others "had" to AAA them is also wrong, because they did not "have" to play them. Nothing forces you to play these charts.

I agree they are a challenge, but the difficulty they posses was originally not an intended one. It's like leaving a chart such as Grind 2 unframer fixed, It causes a spike in the difficulty that was not the intent of the step author(s). (Also keep in mind for those of you who are stupid, I am not saying these are the same thing. I am saying it's the same idea.)

But the idea that they are a challenge is not a reason to leave them alone. Neither is nostalgia. They're a reason to leave them in game, but if most everyone agrees they aren't worthy of being charts you are "forced" to score on, you shouldn't leave them as charts that count.

I don't think removing the backgrounds is even an option. The .swfs are more than likely long gone. However, moving them away from the level ranks would probably accomplish the same thing this thread is trying to achieve. I agree with that much. It's really rather annoying that these charts count. I dislike playing garbage, but I also liked having clean ranks.

Last edited by Xx{Midnight}xX; 04-17-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
Spoiled_Milk
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Spoiled_Milk Send a message via Yahoo to Spoiled_Milk Send a message via Skype™ to Spoiled_Milk

+1 support here.
Spoiled_Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #50
retching oesophagus
(^._.^) =^-ω-^= (^・o・^)ノ
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Your personal experience on these songs is entirely irrelevant. The fact others "had" to AAA them is also wrong, because they did not "have" to play them. Nothing forces you to play these charts.

I agree they are a challenge, but the difficulty they posses was originally not an intended one. It's like leaving a chart such as Grind 2 unframer fixed, It causes a spike in the difficulty that was not the intent of the step author(s). (Also keep in mind for those of you who are stupid, I am not saying these are the same thing. I am saying it's the same idea.)

But the idea that they are a challenge is not a reason to leave them alone. Neither is nostalgia. They're a reason to leave them in game, but if most everyone agrees they aren't worthy of being charts you are "forced" to score on, you shouldn't leave them as charts that count.

I don't think removing the backgrounds is even an option. The .swfs are more than likely long gone. However, moving them away from the level ranks would probably accomplish the same thing this thread is trying to achieve. I agree with that much. It's really rather annoying that these charts count. I dislike playing garbage, but I also liked having clean ranks.
If mostly everyone agrees that the files aren't worthy of being charts you are "forced" to score on then boo sucks to ya, their personal feelings on these songs are entirely irrelevant and as you say nothing "forces" you to play these charts.

Some the of legacy files are harder than intended and they all look badly designed nowadays but hey that was the standard at the time. The standard's picked up long way since then and if a new file comes out with unintended difficulty spikes then they can be corrected just like that. You can't really do that with decade-old files that probably were meant to be like that anyway given the restrictions step-authors had at the time and if you did try to correct it you'd be destroying the value of that file. Tinker with Grind 2 and no one will care, tinker with SSSG and you're fucking around with history, man... So yeh, not really alike, or even the same idea.

I actually kinda like these legacy files anyway and would prefer them to remain in peoples level ranks. I feel the files themselves are pretty harmless for noobs - the off-sync never really bothered me when I started out because I was just trying to hit the arrows, hadn't figured about timing. They're only a pain if you're trying to score perfectly on them. I actually wasn't that keen when I found that they were all moved to their own separate category but oh well.

Last edited by retching oesophagus; 04-17-2013 at 01:31 PM..
retching oesophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #51
DayMan951
yfwdbwdsb
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retching oesophagus View Post
I actually kinda like these legacy files anyway and would prefer them to remain in peoples level ranks. I feel the files themselves are pretty harmless for noobs - the off-sync never really bothered me when I started out because I was just trying to hit the arrows, hadn't figured about timing. They're only a pain if you're trying to score perfectly on them. I actually wasn't that keen when I found that they were all moved to their own separate category but oh well.
i actually agree completely with you. i mean, yeah the backgrounds are kinda annoying, but i've always liked the added challenge they gave. and the off-sync has never been an issue with me. it doesn't take away from the song at all for me. i still enjoy playing legacy files and one minute waltz is actually my favorite file on ffr no doubt. with that being said, i wouldn't put up a fight if they were moved to their own levelranks, but again, i would prefer if they didn't
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #52
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

They really are fine as is. They are a part of history and there is no need to change that or remove them from public ranks. If you don't like them then just don't play them. I mean Average Rank doesn't really mean much anyways. A challenge is always needed and they provide that so why change them?

-1 Support here
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #53
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Too lazy to read this thread so apologies for any repeats, but:

1. I thought Legacy files had already been moved to a separate category?
2. I thought this category was exempt from public average ranks?
3. If not, it should be.
4. Don't change the actual files in any way.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #54
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

Just wanted to add my two cents here.

My sister wanted to try to play FFR and enjoy it. She isn't much of a gamer, so she isn't particularly picky. However, whenever a synthlight file popped up, she quit out without hitting a single arrow based on past experience with his files. They aren't fun to novice players, which are obviously the intended players, because they can't score on them. It also makes FFR appear as a really cheap ripoff of DDR/ITG to leave them in a place that they are easily accessible because they have blue note syndrome, don't have any rhyme or reason to them like modern files have, and are off sync so they are just annoying to play. Novice players shouldn't be treated like idiots. They can tell when a file is poorly made, and it is just a turnoff to potential new players.

So my argument is no, they shouldn't be removed from the game because of their historic value, but they should be moved elsewhere so they don't impact AAA/FC count and average rank.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.

Last edited by FissionMailed1; 04-17-2013 at 02:21 PM..
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #55
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Either way they will STILL be popping up when they play the game. Anyways most novice players play the game for fun so removing them from ranks wont really matter there at all. There are plenty of other low level songs for them to enjoy.

If theyre playing for the sake of getting better then it wont really matter either way if they are removed or not, theres STILL many other songs to play. After time you WILL get good enough to be able to do the legacy files whether people think its impossible or whatever.

Last edited by SK8R43; 04-17-2013 at 02:29 PM..
SK8R43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #56
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Get them out of public levelranks please
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #57
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
1. I thought Legacy files had already been moved to a separate category?
2. I thought this category was exempt from public average ranks?
3. If not, it should be.
4. Don't change the actual files in any way.
1. yes
2. no
3. yes
4. yes
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #58
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
Either way they will STILL be popping up when they play the game. Anyways most novice players play the game for fun so removing them from ranks wont really matter there at all. There are plenty of other low level songs for them to enjoy.

If theyre playing for the sake of getting better then it wont really matter either way if they are removed or not, theres STILL many other songs to play. After time you WILL get good enough to be able to do the legacy files whether people think its impossible or whatnot.
I never said they should be removed entirely, my intention was that you would have to specifically search for them to be able to find them. Yes, novices play for fun, but people have different ideas of fun. Hell, even when I was new, I would always try to avoid synthlight files like the plague. Your last sentence of the first paragraph was my entire point, there are better easy files in FFR than the legacy files that exist. So even if they are just playing to get better, there are far superior files for practicing.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #59
DissonantMuse
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I feel like if they were just restepped and synced it would be better, because anyone who AAA'd them when they were abhorrently synced and stepped you could obviously AAA them again. but I know this would never happen and I understand why people want to keep them for historic value. I've AAA'd most of them and I honestly would be perfectly happy if they were just removed. From what I've read and seen in the past about this issue it seems the only thing even remotely considered is moving them out of public ranks. I hope I see this happen eventually if not, so be it. But if something isn't changed with these files it's just going to cause people to bring this up again and again anyway.

Last edited by DissonantMuse; 04-17-2013 at 02:36 PM..
DissonantMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #60
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

I say leave the legacy files in the engine but keep them all locked and hidden and only available to Veterans. It makes sense because Veterans have played on the site for some time and seems only fit to have songs for veterans that have also been on the site for some time. Also, the title for FFR Veteran is blue, just like the tagged color for Legacy files. what a coincidence. And, to top it off, it refrains new players from playing crappy files and giving the newer players something to work for, where as the current situation of "FFR Veteran" status is lacking rewards.

If you lock off legacy songs to FFR Veterans, it would make the title more worthwhile to get, would save new players from suffering through those files, and WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BOTH PROBLEMS ANYMORE.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote