Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #22
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: TORRENT ORiGINALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
I have looked up to choof in the past as a simfile author mainly due to his charts for Comfort Betrays and BF2014. They were lots of fun to play when I was first getting into Stepmania.
So i've decided to review his files, actually give them a legit play and my thoughts on them as I go.

0 -Birth-: Broken JS file, ok song, nothing challenging, nothing memorable
12 little fragments: started out with interesting patterns, turned into stream then jumpstream. Only charted half of the song, didn't end chart at a "good" part of the song even.
22: bad file overall
2spookey: has very bad flow, it was fun at first but i don't see myself ever playing this ever again
495: probably the worst chart i've ever played in my life
A Beautifull Degeneracy: cool song, cool chart, but then you ruined it. This kind of difficulty spike from a comparatively easy file to something so hard is most often a shitty thing to experience in stepmania
A Fight To The Death: Why would you make an icyworld chart if you're not icyworld? 0/10 it was ok, but nothing memorable very meh song
A Piece of Shit: It's ironic that one of the first good files in this pack is called a piece of shit. I'm dissapointed it wasn't the full song or just cut at a good point. Overall good chart though good minijack usage and freeze usage
AndTheKillerWoreDenim: The song is very meh, it doesn't offer very much for replayability it's very bland and generic. As for the file only single and jumps were used resulting in just as bland and generic of a file. The patterns however are good.
AnstroMM FECK 4: it's a waste of time to play a song this short and without any musical variety. It also has a garbage jumpglut along with the song not being stepped fully. You never commit
Atome Conscient: At this point i know that i don't like your selection of genre for leasurly listening. This chart lends no replayability for scoring, it's merely streams and then faceroll kb then steram again etc.
Bait: You could have elected to either not include the harder difficulty with all the jacks which in this case is not a creative pattern and the whole file is shit. Not going to waste my time on the easier version.
Battle Against Scarbo: See Bait
Bedowra: iirc this is from rebound dump pack, if this is what you consider to be a good file then wtf
Befriend A Child Killer: It's a pretty good file. Too big of a pause/easy section compared to the length of the song. I still don't like this genre though
BF2014: This was one of my favorite files back in the day, it's still a lot of fun to play. It's a good one. Got me to like Sharpnel that much more back when i first played it
Ketsarku Mozgalum: I've noticed a common trend in your charts. There are long sections of song that you can't really do much with and would be better off cutting out that section. The beginning of this song is an example. Let's compare this chart to Jimerax now, his chart is more to the point and executed in a more fun way. I do not know why you decided to put the first burst of the file as a pattern that goes 12343 very fast, most people find that rude. PS one of venetian snares better songs imo
Blackout: I remember this being a competition to get a chart into ffr at one point. Neither of us won so obviously this chart sucks along with mine.
Bloodrush: What is the purpose of this? what the fuck
Bluemirage: This has a lot of stuff that feels copypasted, and it's not particularly challenging to any group of players, I don't imagine this being considered a good file among anyone.... and someone says the intro is wrong
Break Down: I felt like breaking down and crying while playing this it was so bad.
Chocobreakz: well that was fun. It's nothing special, but good job
Comfort Betrays: I'll give you this one, it's a stepmania classic and I've always had a lot of fun playing it.
Cosmos: this was a fun file except for the left down trills, no one could possibly expect this kind of bullshit on their first playthrough also 50 second song in general with this kind of intention is a waste of time and not fun
Cruise Beast: this file was pretty fun, there were some pretty difficult bits compared to the rest of the chart which nuke scoring.
Daddy Can Change: If i were fast enough to do this file i would actually be inclined to believe this MIGHT be a good file to practice speed/bursts on. Bad song though
dirtwalker: this file is pretty well executed.
Do Back Burn: funnish jacks, I feel this file could be done better though.
Do I Smile?: Yet another half done file
DossarLX's OP: i remember this being bad.
Dubstep: nothing interesting happens
End Of Your World: bad
Extreme Speedcore Terror: I can't sit through this song selection, file was generic from what i saw
Fashion Queen: actually a pretty nice song, it's like an oasis in all the music i've had to listen to until now. Also the chart is good
Fast Fissure: clever mine usage, pretty fun file to play overall
Flux: Burst copy paste trillx25 times/10
Fly Away In The Violet Sky: 34 second long songs don't lend much to replayability, but this chart was pretty ok.
Frictional Nevada: this was actually a lot of fun gj on this one
Fucking Paranoid: boring
Ghosts: There's not too much you can do with this kind of song so it's really one of those ok i stepped this kind of songs now what? It's not terrible, it is repetitive though.
Gochagucha Coke Screw: this is a song that could have been cut in half and you would have accomplished what it sets out to do. (i felt as if i played the song 3 times on copy paste) The left handed patterns are pretty decent for practice and the song is actually niceish sounding.
Hajnal: This is so half hassed, only 28 seconds of file really? It is well stepped though, but seriously like do at least 1 and a half minutes AT LEAST
Healing ViSons: LOL meme file, good one man
Hidamari No Machi Piano Rush: I don't know what I expected really
Hyperspace 7 Operation: I would actually be pretty impressed if someone could play this
i: This file has a massive difficulty spike in the center of it, i don't like this chart or song
in and out: i don't understand the appeal in this kind of a file really. Doesn't float my boat, not saying it's bad though

TL;DR review
At this point I don't think I can put myself through 71 more choofers files. (I played nearly half of them) The main jist I get from this persons files is he half asses a lot of songs, puts unnecessarily large difficulty spikes comparatively to the rest of the file frequently, and has made simfiles for a long time but is more or less interested in a specific type of playstyle/simfile that does not appeal to me. From purely my own opinion, a vast majority of the files I have played were unfun, poorly done, and poor taste in music.

hi icy
so I know your post is probably a joke just to get me riled up but I'll take the bait anyway
short or unfinished charts can be explained as being... unfinished. if you read the first post, I even explicitly say that. I probably should have noted which charts were unfinished though, so my bad for making you mad by playing through things I couldn't have been assed to finish.

I think the biggest difference between your approach to charting and mine is that I make charts for myself and you make charts for other players. I've said that this is "bad" in the past but I don't think it's really all that bad. what happens is that my charts are terribly inconsistent, but the good ones are memorable. or at the very least, they're interesting. your charts are super consistent, but imo, that leaves them generic. but they're good for scoring, and scoring is the main focus of the stepmania meta.

honestly, I hate a lot of my charts. I'd be inclined to agree with quite a bit of your reviews, actually. some of these charts are so old dude, it'd be like me going back and reviewing your era of charts when you were making shit like downtemperature lol. extreme speedcore dadfuck? that has to be around 8 years old.

also as an aside the reason you liked frictional nevada is because it's basically jimerax's chart but with a bit more layering

but yeah. our approachs to charting vary so much now that it's not really... fair to compare? keep doing what you're doing, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #23
choof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
and has made simfiles for a long time but is more or less interested in a specific type of playstyle/simfile that does not appeal to me..
tl;dr HEY YEP THIS IS 100000% TRUE FOR NEARLY EVERYONE THAT PLAYS AT A COMPETITIVE LEVEL
Old 11-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #24
-Tim-
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to -Tim-

spicy boys

-Tim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #25
Soul Evans
FFR Player

Why would you release unfinished charts? i kinda don't see the point of it, people usually would want to remove every old/bad file they made out of existence never to be released

you claim to say that some of your files are bad so why release it if you think they're bad?
Soul Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
choof
Banned

I originally released torrent originals as a way of closure; I wanted to get away from the name "torrent" and start making myself up as "choof" because I like this name way more than torrent. it's been my nickname for years irl.

I wouldn't play the unfinished charts for scores. I think the main reason why I released them as unfinished in the first place was so people could potentially look at them and see interesting ideas. they're there for you to look at if you would like to. like I said though, I should have noted which ones are unfinished. but oh well. at this point I doubt people are going to actually play charts from this pack outside of the ones they're familiar with, so there's practically no reason to note the unfinished ones.

altho I have been thinking about doing a review post much like icy's. I think I can be objective in reviewing my older shit.

people enjoy different things. I think robotomy is fucking awful but it's apparently one of mina's favorite charts. I think bf2014 is old and outdated, but FFR accepted it and it was a community favorite for a while. people still play it. likewise, I think fast fissure is sick but I haven't seen anyone aside from kraezymann play it, and that was after I said "wher scores."

Last edited by choof; 11-17-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Old 11-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #27
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

I play FF all the time, choof <3 Probably one of my favorite charts actually, though I keep failing hard at the ending 90% of the time...those mines tho
Old 11-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #28
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm glad you replied. We share a lot more sentiments than I thought. Whether it was fair for me to review these files since they are probably mostly old or not, I came into this pack actually with the thought that I could learn something new from how you make simfiles. While it is vastly different from just about anything I've made, I only learned that I did not like them and that's fair I think. I'm a man of my word and when I say if you purposely exclude yourself from playing a pack or someones files you are missing out on what stepmania has to offer.

You're not proud of your old files, I'm not proud of my old files, whether we ever got "good" at making simfiles is completely subjective. I do however make my simfiles for myself also, otherwise it would feel a lot like a tremendous waste of time and I would have stopped a long time ago. The review and this are not intended to compare your files to mine. It does bother me though when I see a trollish message from choof saying icyworld files are bad, I don't want to be a rival to you but I did want to see where you are coming from to say that. If you have another pack you deem good, small or large, please send it to me I'd like to see what I'm missing out on. I'll review that too if you want.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #29
choof
Banned

i don't want to sound too pretentious but i would say that you have charting down to the science and i have charting down to an artform

maybe that's a bit cryptic and also something a huge fgt would say but oh well

Last edited by choof; 11-17-2016 at 01:48 PM..
Old 11-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #30
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

i love icy files and i love chooftorrent files, ya'll are both super inspiring

also bridgeport run isnt in this pack but damn it's a good one
sunn0glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #31
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

I think you're both great charters, Choof and Icy, and I don't want this kind of thing to divide two people who I both respect and like a lot, further than they already are divided.

I think it's good you can both admit you have your fair share of good files and bad files, but quite honestly above all else it's just difference in style.

Even if unrealistic, I hope the two of you can get along well one day, 'cause I honestly think that you're both more similar than you realize, given how I've spoken to both of you at least a little bit.

That being said, it's nice to see that you're both being civil about it; ffr drama is never good drama.

why did you click the third spoiler tag if you knew what it would be already???
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #32
choof
Banned

honkl
Old 11-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #33
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #34
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunn0glasses View Post
i love icy files and i love chooftorrent files, ya'll are both super inspiring

also bridgeport run isnt in this pack but damn it's a good one
you can add it manually lol

Bye.
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #35
sunn0glasses
FFR Player

i know but i just feel bad if ppl don't remember it, it's one of my favorites duh B-)
sunn0glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 12:14 PM   #36
_choof
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidek View Post
here is it
Ps: maybe im missing some files from that list but i added a few one they're not in that list
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bfdap3...z3/torrent.rar
the fuckin GOAT
_choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #37
ositzxz369
Venetian Snares stepper
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

🆚 when
Old 04-13-2024, 12:08 AM   #38
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

icyworld files are like when grandma bakes a delicious cake for everyone to eat at a family reunion; choof files are like when you're wide awake at 2AM with cocaine widthrawal symptoms and you realize you've been mixing canned tuna, cereals and glass shards in a bowl for the last 15 minutes
Old 04-13-2024, 09:02 AM   #39
_choof
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

as long as the glass shards are food grade and also made of sugar yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ositzxz369 View Post
�� when
this is why I was looking for this, my half full version only exists in this "pack"
there are some other pretty cool things in here that I kinda forgot about honestly so expect a few v2s soon

Last edited by _choof; 04-13-2024 at 09:04 AM..
_choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:15 AM   #40
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

I don't think they are, but this is referring to your old simfiles You've grown considerably since then