Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #101
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: E3 2014

video game industry is a little underdeveloped in terms of gender portrayal blah blah blah, and some of the public is a little "overdeveloped" aka oversensitive aka easily butthurt PARDON MY TERMINOLOGY
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #102
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post

Hell yeah.
Ridley where?
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #103
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post

Simply put, there's no such thing as bragging rights any more for new games. That is a problem.
Eh, I'd disagree on this. Bragging rights manifest in numerous different ways (speedruns, % runs, doing things out of order, etc). Beating a game may not be a bragging right anymore, but there are still ways to beat a game that warrants bragging about it.

New RPGs are being beaten in ways that totally warrant bragging rights. Bravely Default with 0 random encounters, for example.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #104
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
Eh, I'd disagree on this. Bragging rights manifest in numerous different ways (speedruns, % runs, doing things out of order, etc). Beating a game may not be a bragging right anymore, but there are still ways to beat a game that warrants bragging about it.

New RPGs are being beaten in ways that totally warrant bragging rights. Bravely Default with 0 random encounters, for example.
Bragging rights on the premise that you can beat the game period is entirely what I'm talking about. Not how quickly or interestingly you managed to beat an already easy game, because doing such things doesn't always appeal to those who consider themselves elite gamers.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #105
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Instead of saying, "I beat bravely default with 0 encounters" you can say "guess what, I beat bravely default " in the context that the game is recognized as an absurdly difficult game not beaten by the faint of heart.

In this way you are able to appeal to a much broader audience about your accomplishment even if they haven't heard of it by allowing them to try it themselves, instead of trying to explain why 0 encounters is so difficult.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #106
choof
Banned

That could probably be explained by a paradigm shift. Gaming now is way more prevalent than it was 10-15 years ago, so the audience has shifted from hardcore gamers to people who play casually. It's no longer "nerdy" or "geeky."
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #107
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

I'm saying that having to even explain that on the basis that there no longer exists games made these days where merely beating the game is something to be admired, is extremely lame.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #108
choof
Banned

There are certainly games that fit that criteria, there's just not many of them. :P
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #109
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Also, the term "hardcore" gamer mostly refers to how often you play video games. Some friends of mine fit this criteria, and so do the millions upon millions of other people who make up the call of duty online audience who are FAR from having any skill worth mentioning majority wise.

A true hardcore gamer, is someone who can accomplish hardcore feats not done by the majority.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #110
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Quote:
There are certainly games that fit that criteria, there's just not many of them. :P
I'm asking out of genuine desperation, please direct me towards them.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #111
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
still kinda different though imo. in dark souls or whatever new game it's tough to make progress, but you can die over and over and just keep hacking away until you get through. in TMNT on nes you have a small handful of lives and the game just spits in your face constantly and if you mess up you're done.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #112
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
still kinda different though imo. in dark souls or whatever new game it's tough to make progress, but you can die over and over and just keep hacking away until you get through. in TMNT on nes you have a small handful of lives and the game just spits in your face constantly and if you mess up you're done.
I had a hunch that dark souls was going to be mentioned which as you say with the hack your way through analogy, is fucking laughable. I would love to see how many people who brag about beating dark souls, beat TMNT.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #113
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

anyone here who is like D3+ in ffr is like, hardcore to the general population i think.

jus sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #114
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

I have a strong feeling that that applies to FFR exclusively for most though. That doesn't take away from the reality that many of us are able to recognize dense patterns within a certain timeframe at certain speed and execute accordingly, but I think a lot of that has to do with the appeal we have all had at one point in our lives to rhythm based games in general where the drive to practice and improve upon that desire creates a natural ability to easily be in D3 territory. The untrained eye sees AAA'ing a very difficult song as impressive, but that comes down to the time invested in being able to do something the majority of us see as so simple. No matter how much time one might invest in beating say, battle toads, I am very confident that many would not succeed based off of the natural talent necessary to do so or what have you.

I think it's safe to say that most all of us have had an appeal to Super Nintendo or regular nintendo games for those where they being apart of your generation applies. It doesn't mean that even 5% of those who identify with that reality, are capable of beating the notoriously difficult games of that era.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #115
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i beat ghosts and goblins on my first playthrough (beaten battletoads too, but then again i watched a bunch of runs of it and stuff)

gaming comes a lot more naturally to some people than others too.

my point is, if you can manage/pick up a game well - see people who rocket up in divisions and such, then it's usually universal, and can more easily have the 'hardcore' label slapped onto them.

especially since being in a higher division already means you've spent a bunch of time practicing/playing/getting better at this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.

Last edited by YoshL; 06-11-2014 at 06:00 PM..
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #116
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:

I think that's more for oneself than bragging rights towards other people. For example
I'm pretty proud of, and a lot of people who have played this game are probably jealous, but it's not exactly easy to brag about.

If anyone's played a game like Gauntlet (NES) saying that you've beat it is quite the accomplishment that more people will recognize. If I want to pull bragging rights on a game nowadays it's very hard to do it on games that aren't indie/flash.

There are a few things I have yet to do on modern games though, like beating the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials in Super Paper Mario, which is more time-consuming than difficult.

edit: shit this is barely about E3 anymore

Last edited by Pseudo Enigma; 06-11-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #117
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

So... You were able to without having had the chance to recognize beforehand, beat and best all the obstacles which (and this is where I'm calling you out) DO require muscle memory and knowledge of level layout, and then after beating the final boss, went through the game on higher difficulty as the game requires to actually complete the game on your first try for what is regarded as being quite reasonably on the top 3 hardest games EVER made?

Sorry bro, but I don't buy it. Beating a game first try that is on countless top 3 hardest games lists, is something I don't think anyone can do without sheer anomalistic luck.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #118
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Hey guys, I aaa'd revolutionary étude my first try. That's just cuz games come much more naturally to me than most people. I just watched videos of people doing it and it was just like that (My scores not up there cuz it didn't save but I really did do it.)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #119
violencefetish
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Why would anyone be jealous of someone one hitting a boss with an over-grinded character?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #120
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by violencefetish View Post
Why would anyone be jealous of someone one hitting a boss with an over-grinded character?
cause they didn't think of doing it. Also it's a boss that lots of new people have trouble with. Seeing someone smash through a boss in one hit where they can't even beat it is satisfying to some people, others get jealous.

by the way more proof that games are too easy. They could've made it really hard for me to grind off the coliseum monsters, but I found a way.