Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-9-2006, 04:11 PM   #41
deltro300111
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to deltro300111 Send a message via MSN to deltro300111 Send a message via Yahoo to deltro300111
Default Re: Clinical immortality- Do you want to live forever?

All the estimates I've read top out at a life expectancy 50 years higher than what it is now- when our (Generation Y?) generation is grown.
Old 08-9-2006, 04:21 PM   #42
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

When I was in Canada just a few days ago my relatives were like

"you want to be a doctor, study geriatrics and help us "
Old 08-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #43
zippaduder50000
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to zippaduder50000 Send a message via Skype™ to zippaduder50000

goodbye procreation. Hello contraceptives!

And by live forever, do you mean like "god" mode??? or live forever as long as you don't get seriously injured, lose an immense amount of blood, etc..?
zippaduder50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #44
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltro300111
All the estimates I've read top out at a life expectancy 50 years higher than what it is now- when our (Generation Y?) generation is grown.
That's cute because of how absurd it is. You do realize that you're suggesting that our life span will soon be around 120 years, right? Sorry, but no amount of medicine can prevent the deterioration of the human body.

I call BS on your estimates.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #45
The_IT
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter
That's cute because of how absurd it is. You do realize that you're suggesting that our life span will soon be around 120 years, right? Sorry, but no amount of medicine can prevent the deterioration of the human body.

I call BS on your estimates.

--Guido

You ought to keep in mind that in the Middle Ages the average life expectancy was in and about 30 years. Now, when you take into consideration that the human race does not like to double it's capacity in the same amount of time, and that it likes to do things exponentally instead, you can start to see where he's coming from, though it would break the pattern after that point in time....

I have been a member since December of 2003. Seriously. Over 5000 games played in that time, and a grand total of 1000th or so place to show for it. Bwa!
The_IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:52 AM   #46
The_IT
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippaduder50000
goodbye procreation. Hello contraceptives!

And by live forever, do you mean like "god" mode??? or live forever as long as you don't get seriously injured, lose an immense amount of blood, etc..?
Through my interpretation, living forever is considered living as long as you want to after you have gained the ability to exist for a potentially infinite amount of time.
And if you read my post on page one, or page two, you might be able to come to a conclusion as to wether or not you consider my theory of existance as such to be a a godlike state. My design allows you to live for however long you choose, and beyond that, as, because of a certain design problem, you would possibly end up liveing for slightly longer than you wish to do so, unless you get yourself consumed inside a nuclear detonation, my model, if you can call it that, is potentially immune to all types of sickness, and has the ability to 'grow' and repair itself at such an astonishing rate you could call me a fool for proposing such a radical concept.

I have been a member since December of 2003. Seriously. Over 5000 games played in that time, and a grand total of 1000th or so place to show for it. Bwa!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #47
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I think the pattern would break quite cleanly once humanity has a near-optimum environment for living, as we do today. Life expectancy is based on the rate at which a human body deteriorates, and considering all the knowledge of health we have today, everything that changes our environment to suit us, and all the preventative measures (and treatments) to keep illness away, I'd say we're pushing the top of the limit.

I wouldn't have been so outspoken if he had suggested the life expectancy goes up to eighty or ninety or so. Hell, two of my great grandparents lived to ninety-six, my great-great-aunt lived to 107, and most other relatives who die of natural causes live easily past eighty (grandmother is about to turn eighty and is going strong). I can see why life expectancy is in the seventy area, but I could also understand its going up.

But to a hundred twenty?! That's just absurd.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #48
The_IT
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter
I think the pattern would break quite cleanly once humanity has a near-optimum environment for living, as we do today. Life expectancy is based on the rate at which a human body deteriorates, and considering all the knowledge of health we have today, everything that changes our environment to suit us, and all the preventative measures (and treatments) to keep illness away, I'd say we're pushing the top of the limit.

I wouldn't have been so outspoken if he had suggested the life expectancy goes up to eighty or ninety or so. Hell, two of my great grandparents lived to ninety-six, my great-great-aunt lived to 107, and most other relatives who die of natural causes live easily past eighty (grandmother is about to turn eighty and is going strong). I can see why life expectancy is in the seventy area, but I could also understand its going up.

But to a hundred twenty?! That's just absurd.

--Guido

Yes, but keep in mind that machines are immune to all diseases, and that a machine that REPLACES itself can never deteriorate. No treatments needed.

And by the way, I'm happy for you. Really and truely. You have longevity in the family it seems.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #49
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Well, longevity in the half that was all farmers =). My dad's side has a lot of smokers, and his mother died almost ten years before I was born.

But if machines were to replace all of your vital organs, you'd cease to be human, even. Also, at the point where we were replacing organs with machines, values of life expectancy wouldn't even mean anything, so I figured he was just talking about natural life expectancies.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-13-2006, 01:23 AM   #50
Triplex72
CUSTOMIZED
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Triplex72 Send a message via MSN to Triplex72

If they could just slice out my brain before I die and stick it in some random baby I'll be happy.
connect 216.246.109.6:27015

Triplex72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #51
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

I really hope that wasn't a serious suggestion.

Do I want to live forever? No. Do I want to live longer than the average human life expectancy, perhaps.

Is it plausible? I doubt it will be within the next 100 years.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #52
Maebara
FFR Player

This could have a benefit for people that are contributing to the scientific community. Discovery-makers and architects who are valued for their ingenius in design and research would live to create a better society. Or they would just get bored of it and we'd have a bunch of 1,000 year-old reitrees crouding the Earth (and possible Mars). On a serious note though, overpopulation is a problem that would cause faster depletion of resources. If scientists found a way to perserve human life, we'd better have already inhabited another planet.
Maebara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #53
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

If you could preserve your thoughts, emotions, ideas into a computer and become a cyborg that could live forever, would you do it?

No. It's not meant to happen. I think i'd mentally break down from experiencing whatever pain and suffering is to come over... forever. To know that you have no chance of ever coming out of the same, boring routine.

How much could you do before it got boring? You'd have to watch every single friend and relative you know die. Forget about marriage.

And if you're religious, well, there's that whole issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Coolgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:39 AM   #54
Iam_a_Maid
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolgamer
If you could preserve your thoughts, emotions, ideas into a computer and become a cyborg that could live forever, would you do it?

No. It's not meant to happen. I think i'd mentally break down from experiencing whatever pain and suffering is to come over... forever. To know that you have no chance of ever coming out of the same, boring routine.

How much could you do before it got boring? You'd have to watch every single friend and relative you know die. Forget about marriage.

And if you're religious, well, there's that whole issue.

There is plenty of skills/activities for many lifetimes, besides you lack the point of view of someone who lived for a long time, therefore all you are saying is pure balloney that's being pulled out of your "ears"

As for cyborg idea, I would consider, I can't say yes/no now, saying that would just be just lying, but I am leaning toward "yes". Plus you wont live forever. Machines, like humans are finite. Aging may not take ya, sure. Wars, accidents, etc will. The longer you live the higher your chances of getting yourself killed, shut down.

As for machines vs humans, it's all nonesense. If you are self aware, you ought to have rights based upon your merits.
Iam_a_Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #55
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam_a_Maid
There is plenty of skills/activities for many lifetimes, besides you lack the point of view of someone who lived for a long time, therefore all you are saying is pure balloney that's being pulled out of your "ears"

You know, I don't go right in and attack people. That's not a debate, that's stupidity. You want thoughtful conversation, then don't shoot others down.

I don't think that we, as a race, on the whole, have earned the right to immortality given our track record of treating the planet, animals, and our own kind. The cyborg thing was an example to make a point.

Quote:
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #56
Iam_a_Maid
FFR Player

Quote:
You know, I don't go right in and attack people. That's not a debate, that's stupidity. You want thoughtful conversation, then don't shoot others down.
I merely presented an opposing view, if you consider that an attack or shooting down someone. Don't come to CT at all.

This is funny to the point of ridiculous.

Quote:
I don't think that we, as a race, on the whole, have earned the right to immortality given our track record of treating the planet, animals, and our own kind. The cyborg thing was an example to make a point.
Good for you. Just remember even if you don't think that we deserve or it's fair. Truth is, life is not fair, it's not equal. Innocents die, crime gets unpunished and so on.

As for cyborgs, you asked a direct question. What kind of point making is that? /boggle

Last edited by Iam_a_Maid; 08-16-2006 at 05:18 PM..
Old 08-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #57
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

you lack the point of view of someone who lived for a long time, therefore all you are saying is pure balloney that's being pulled out of your "ears" <---- This is not an opposing view, this is an attack or mere dismissal, depending on how you view it.

The question was rhetorical, as it was the first thought I came on to when thinking of how immortality would be possible. Note how I right away answered my own question. I then explored how I came to such a decision.

My thoughts regarding immortality via mechanical means apply to normal immortality as well, a point that I should have make clearer. The human mind would not be able to cope with it. Either we'd become fragments of who we used to be or go insane.

As for my last comment, that's more of a personal view and has nothing to do with any hard data.

The human mind simply could not handle it, immortality by itself, or by other means.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #58
Iam_a_Maid
FFR Player

Quote:
you lack the point of view of someone who lived for a long time, therefore all you are saying is pure balloney that's being pulled out of your "ears" <---- This is not an opposing view, this is an attack or mere dismissal, depending on how you view it.
Dismissal? nah I just pointed out the truth, yet you still fail to at least aknowledge it. Focusing on balloney expression instead. No I idea why that methaphor is offensive to you. I considered using "ass" at 1st but decided "ears" are more appropriate in this case. But you can juggle both terms around, ass is indeed a better "sounding" term in this case.

Quote:
The question was rhetorical, as it was the first thought I came on to when thinking of how immortality would be possible. Note how I right away answered my own question. I then explored how I came to such a decision.
Problem with this one. I can't read minds.

Quote:
My thoughts regarding immortality via mechanical means apply to normal immortality as well, a point that I should have make clearer. The human mind would not be able to cope with it. Either we'd become fragments of who we used to be or go insane.

As for my last comment, that's more of a personal view and has nothing to do with any hard data.

The human mind simply could not handle it, immortality by itself, or by other means.
See, problem when speaking in absolutes without presenting any evidence is a bad habit that you'd better break sooner or later.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #59
Anti_Formics
FFR Player

This may sound kind of weird, but I don't wish to live forever. Why don't we just stick with what we have and enjoy it? If we lived forever, when we are old, what would we do with our time? Think about it. Things are better if you live for a shorter period of time. If everyone you knew died from a reason other than ageing, you would be alone and the world would seem a cold cold place. Think Zaslalamel from Soul Caliber III. He wants to die for he has lived too long. The world gets boring,and maybe there is something other then life later on. Think. What if Hitler lived forever? What would the world be like. If they were a tyrant, they would rule forever. If you lived forever it would get quite boring, unless FFR survives the ravages of time. Then it would still be fun. I think I have said enough about not living forever.
Anti_Formics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #60
Dogos
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Dogos Send a message via Yahoo to Dogos

living forever would suck no matter what you could do with it. yeah we would overpopulate, not enough food, we would be at war all the time. this is about as bad as scientists wanting to create chips that they implant in your brain so you don't have to school because you would know everything you would have gone to school for. if that would happen how the hell would there be difference.