Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta
Default "It's been three years since it happened"

Well, I've recently been thinking a lot about an event that occured in an anime I watched several weeks ago, and it's proven to be quite a tough pill to swallow.

Imagine this: You are waiting for somebody one day, and while you are, a car slides out and hit you, sending you into a coma. When you wake up, you're in a hospital, and you realize, due to some circumstance, that it's been three years since your last memory.

Now, that seems simple enough, but I've spent a fair ammount of time (When I'm driving or biking, ironically) thinking about this very scenerio. How would I react? What would have become of my friends I have now? Would any of my friends I've made from forums I've visited still be around? A lot of strings have come attached to this question, and they really have made me think.

First off, if I was told of this, I'd probably act as if someone had died. Disbelief at first, since there's no way I could have been out that long. It just wouldn't seem logically possible. Three years in the future, I'd be 21. I'd miss out on going to college with all the other kids my age who have finally spread their wings to fly. Assuming this happened, say, tomorrow for me, I'd also miss my graduation. It seems like I'd just be absent from so much that is going to happen within the next six months, and anything that could have happened wouldn't have.

What would become of my friends? I don't know if they'd miss me or be concerned, and I'd be almost certain that they'd move on and forget. I'd basically step into a new world once released, and that's a troubling thought in and of itself, since i do hold my friends dear, and also because I never have been the most social person around. It would be scary, and I honestly think that I would probably end up turtling in my room for a very long time before ever going back out. It was strange enough going to a new school where I didn't know anyone, but at least they were my age. Could I imagine what it'd be like if I went into a new world, 3 years later and 21 years old? Probably be the strangest thing, I think.

Also, I try to think about what would become of this new world compared to the one I knew. I know the world changes everyday, but in such small ammounts that it's easy to handle. What would happen in three years, though? Let me take it from 8th grade, which is really where I started to notice about the world and how it's always changing.

9-11-2001. I need not say more.
10-2-2002. War in Iraq was starting.
4-9-2003. War in Iraq is 'over'. Mission Accomplished followed up in May.

Now, say if I were to have had this accident happen on September 9th, 2001, and was out for three years. I would have no idea what 9-11 meant, why we were in Iraq (as well as Afghanistan), and no idea of all the events that happened inbetween (such as the Enron scandle). Waking up in a new world would be the strangest thing to ever have happened, and even if I take the past as an example, you still lose so much.

Also, I think about how I would act after the initial shock. Would I want to continue to persuit my dream I have today, or would I come up with a new set to chase? Would I still be able to enjoy the things I do right now, or would I have to find new hobbies and interest? Would the Playstation 3 be afforable? (Just kiddin', folks). So many little questions like those continuously pop up and they really make me think about my life right now, and what would I think of it in three years.

This just seems like a scary thought, and even though there's basically a 0% chance of this happening to anyone, it's still something that I've found interesting to think about. My challenge to you in your responses is this: how would you react if this happened to you?

Last edited by Snowcrafta; 05-27-2006 at 10:30 PM..
Snowcrafta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
bill_clinton
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: "It's been three years since it happened"

3 years really isint that much..everyone in your town would know and probably forget in a couple of months, but when you do wake up it would be all over the news. im almost sure when you wake up all your old friends would be happy to see you and tell you what you missed. plus you would eventually catch up and move on.

If it were me I would be happy that I didint DIE and that i only miss out in 3 years of life instead of the ****** who hit me and is now serving a 9 year sentence.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
MCRenaissance
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to MCRenaissance Send a message via MSN to MCRenaissance

how do I act? well I would go and visit my family. When something of this caliber happens to you, you learn about what is truly important in life and you begin to take to heart all that you have and appreciate it.

Last edited by MCRenaissance; 05-28-2006 at 10:31 PM..
MCRenaissance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Bursurk_Lurk
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Bursurk_Lurk

If I woke up from a coma after 3 years I would be shocked, just like everyone would be I guess. I would be asking alot of questions about what has happened while I was in a coma.

I don't know that much about Coma so I want people to answer these questions:
Does anyone know what happens to the mind when you're in a coma? Are you dreaming for 3 years? How much do you remember of the past?
Bursurk_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Demon_Lord57
FFR Player

Cool Re: "It's been three years since it happened"

how would i react? i would probably have no idea what is going on in the world i would probably try to catch up on what i missed out on. go see my friends family members and loved ones to see what was going on with them over the past 3 years and have a good laugh about it thats about all you can do and cannot forget gotta catch up on those new video games ^_^
Demon_Lord57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Ive oftern wonderd that, If i was in a coma then would I have a kick ass dream. Which sorta makes you question this reality a bit, But I wont go into it becuase it will go way off topic. I think that if I was in a coma for three years the only thing id care about is family, friends, and what the gaming worlds done since I was gone. Oh and my birthday's. I would demand stuff for my three birthdays, or combine the three to get some UBER present.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-9-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Super_Panda_Riot
FFR Player

Lightbulb Re: "It's been three years since it happened"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bursurk_Lurk
If I woke up from a coma after 3 years I would be shocked, just like everyone would be I guess. I would be asking alot of questions about what has happened while I was in a coma.

I don't know that much about Coma so I want people to answer these questions:
Does anyone know what happens to the mind when you're in a coma? Are you dreaming for 3 years? How much do you remember of the past?
I know that while in a coma, your body acts as if it was dead, even though it is still alive. Kind of. Your body starts rotting, and getting weaker, so when someone comes out of a coma after too long, they could be very weak, and very... gross. That's why some people die while in the "coma" state their in. So, don't go into a coma. I can't even imagine. Ereeruugrh.
Old 08-9-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Panda_Riot
So, don't go into a coma.
I'll remember that next time I get hit by a car.

P.S. This thread is over two months old. Nice bump.
Old 08-9-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
B0NK
FFR Player

i know the first thing im doing is jerkin off
Old 08-9-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Being in a coma-like state for 6 years, while keepig the same looking body of a teenager, that's a scary thought.
Old 08-9-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Being in a coma-like state at all would be scary.
Very well thought through Snowcrafta.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-9-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

I'd go to the gym because all my muscles would have atrophied over 3 years. I'd spend about a month reading up on anything interesting that happened in the past 3 years.

I'd apply to college, do my thing, and try to go on like nothing happened. It would suck but it wouldn't ruin my life. I'm good at moving on.
Old 08-9-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Lesbifriends
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Lesbifriends

Well, that is pretty harsh. I never thought of this b4 but at the same time I view it as an opportunity 2 start over. I neither was the special 1 in the group but knowing that I have been in a comma 4 3yrs would certainly make me amazed and suprised of how I survived it but 4sure I would start thinking right there and then what I would do next.
It wouldn't be scary or like "oh my god" or anything I would just feel like the new person in school in elementary and need to catch up to things around the neighborhood like anyone else in this case.
Eventwise, I would like to hear about them, but would only take the ones that affect me seriously first b4 anything and what has happened to my family and the bastard who hit me.
Conserning my friends, I would visit those who remember me or those who care, but 4 those who don't (oh well) I guess I'll just stick to those who love me.

Snow, that is a really deep thought u have and shows how concerned u r about yourself and others. I admire u. U see, what I had in mind like u is kinda different than yours. I've always thought about myself being injured or extremely hurt(about 2 die) infront of many people (those that like me and don't) and that they suddenly feel this new feeling 4 me that joins with concern. I have always thought about the aftermath. Enough about me, I won't move the thread away.

Last edited by Lesbifriends; 08-11-2006 at 07:40 PM..
Lesbifriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-9-2006, 09:23 PM   #14
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I am always scared of being hurt seriously, part of the reason for that is someone I knew and loved, recently died of lung cancer. It was very heartbreaking, but I m a christian and so was she, so I have completely over it.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #15
Lesbifriends
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Lesbifriends

the simple fact someone has died is sad enough

Hey you! stop looking at me!!!
Lesbifriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #16
B3NJ1
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to B3NJ1 Send a message via MSN to B3NJ1 Send a message via Yahoo to B3NJ1

Going a weekend without getting any playing in on my mellophone is bad enough. Going 3-4ish years and my chops would be non-existant. Probably lucky to (Mr.E)squeek out a G.
On a more serious note, I think if someone was to go into a coma for that long, the mental stress upon waking up would be devastating. I don't think anyone could handle it and it would take over a year to get back in shape and able to function without help. Ouch.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #17
meno_rocks123
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to meno_rocks123

it would be creepy. one momont you're in 2006 walking across the street, the next, you're in 2009. even worse:

1. you look older.
2. everyone else looks older.
3. you could have moved.
4. you could have a new car.
5. the things you used to love could be gone.

6. You could have AMNESIA and have forgotten EVERYTHING!!!!

i would hate waking up after three whole years. i dont really think my mind could accept that.
meno_rocks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:51 AM   #18
B3NJ1
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to B3NJ1 Send a message via MSN to B3NJ1 Send a message via Yahoo to B3NJ1

Quote:
4. you could have a new car.
Rofl.

If anything, it would probably be much easier making the transition if you did have amnesia and forgot everything.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #19
T0rajir0u
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

i would get so much worse at stepmania

edit: esp. if i had amnesia
Old 08-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #20
Maebara
FFR Player

Live in denial and become a social recluse. Life is good when your friends think you're dead, but you're really alive!
Maebara is offline   Reply With Quote