Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-5-2006, 11:28 AM   #81
flamingspinach
FFR Player

Default Re: time travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaxxx
If the past was altered and the present cannot change, then it would skew 2 different time lines, making alternate universes. That, as we know, is impossible. Then if there was an alternate universe, then different energies would seperate between the seperate people that we represent. Time travel would then become illegal anyway for this purpose.

If it is possible, something would have happened already that would skew our past and there would be some sort of energy transfering or some way of interconnection like in the movie called "The One".
... what the **** are you babbling about? Have you even read this thread? What's this **** about the movie The One? Why are you people all quoting movies? Holy god, this is retarded. This is supposed to be the "critical thinking" forum...

Reach, I don't know, maybe the movie diverged from the book quite a bit, but I know the book certainly didn't have any of that. The reason I was talking about relativity was because that also meant that people didn't know anything about the whole speed of light barrier, time dilation, etc., and so hadn't actually needed to think much about time in terms of science except as a linear progression along which to measure data.

As for there being nothing solid in this topic - the theory of general relativity was the first to propose time as a dimension on par with our three spatial dimensions, a proposition which is now pretty scientifically accepted. I think this is pretty important in any discussion of time travel, because it brings up somewhere to at least start looking at it and reasoning about it.

-fs
Old 07-5-2006, 11:32 AM   #82
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I suppose we have that as a pretty solid fact. Good point.

But I mean like, aside from time dilation, there are really no facts to support anything other than well...time dilation itself. Which I hope is the only sort of 'time travel' that will ever be possible XD

I brought up the time machine movie mostly because it uh, talks about the same stuff that has been mentioned on the last page or so here in a pretty good manner.
Old 07-5-2006, 11:48 AM   #83
Suzuru
FFR Player

Time is also perceived differently. For example when doing something interesting, it tends to pass quickly but when doing something boring. It tends to last a lot longer. I hate that part about it. ;p

So time that we measure via clocks is not accurate at all. Some hours are like 3 hours, some like 20 mins. I am guessing your time is ever adjusting regardless off the surrounding durations(time).

Some people live longer lives. Could it be because their time is different. I also know that genetics and for how long their cells possess ability to divide affect this, but isn't this also affected by duration?

Last edited by Suzuru; 07-5-2006 at 11:52 AM..
Suzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2006, 12:59 PM   #84
TIkimanJr
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TIkimanJr Send a message via MSN to TIkimanJr Send a message via Yahoo to TIkimanJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaxxx
I see a little bit more clearler now. I now know that time travel does not exist for this reason. If the past was altered and the present cannot change, then it would skew 2 different time lines, making alternate universes. That, as we know, is impossible. Then if there was an alternate universe, then different energies would seperate between the seperate people that we represent. Time travel would then become illegal anyway for this purpose. I could make infinite skews in my entire life and I could even make myself king of the world.
THis Post and another one of yours talking about how time travel woould have already screwed up the present. If you look at them they sort of contradict themselves. If you say the present cannon change then why are you saying that time travel in some other universe would have screwed up our "present"
Old 07-5-2006, 02:28 PM   #85
megaxxx
FFR Player

Suzura metioned after the first post as how the present cannot change, and the second post, I stated how it would change.

megaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2006, 10:38 PM   #86
super-smashman
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to super-smashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuru
Time is also perceived differently. For example when doing something interesting, it tends to pass quickly but when doing something boring. It tends to last a lot longer. I hate that part about it. ;p

So time that we measure via clocks is not accurate at all. Some hours are like 3 hours, some like 20 mins. I am guessing your time is ever adjusting regardless off the surrounding durations(time).

Some people live longer lives. Could it be because their time is different. I also know that genetics and for how long their cells possess ability to divide affect this, but isn't this also affected by duration?
This sounds like it would have more to do with memory.

If you spent an hour counting seconds, then it going to feel like a REALLY long hour because you were never occupied enough not to think about, and therefore register, how much time actually passed.

It's not time dilation. Time isn't moving faster or slower around you. If you were to wear a watch and synched it with a clock and they were different after an hour (assuming nothing changed the clock and watch, duh), then time dilated somewhere along the line. No matter how occupied you are, time passes the same (assuming you aren't moving fast enough for real time dilation to happen).
Old 07-5-2006, 11:22 PM   #87
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Everything it matter and energy... and that is affected over time. No matter what, you would never be able to affect that matter in a way where it actually UNDOES itself, without giving off or absorbing energy, and that would mean that everyone would be affected by a time travel, being that the time travel wouldn't alter you, but everything else... or if you were to alter a single thing in a closed environment, how could you make grown molecules work backwards? The change of energy would always be so great, that the sheer impossibility, and the utter destruction of something would happen, before the time travel process could have started.

(Or so I would think)
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2006, 11:39 PM   #88
Minion133
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

gay

Last edited by Minion133; 10-10-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Minion133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2006, 08:58 AM   #89
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

With our current means of generating energy...of course.

Zero point energy predicts something like 10^53 joules of energy in every cubic meter XD

Now if we could figure out how to use some of it.

And it's not really like we know how much energy teleportation/any of this would take anyway.

Last edited by Reach; 07-6-2006 at 09:04 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2006, 01:27 PM   #90
flamingspinach
FFR Player

Unlike in a tape recorder, though, events at one time influence events at another time instantly (i.e. because the tape itself IS time, there is no timeline along which to do anything to the tape).
Old 07-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #91
shrimpy
FFR Player

bull****
it doesnt exist you need to get a life and worry about global warming
theshrimp
shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #92
T0rajir0u
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Here's a better analogy:

Pretend the world is a two-dimensional circle. (I realize it's not, but for the sake of analogy and visualization.) You can visualize history as an infinite cylinder, with the third dimension being time.

So at any point, you're at a circle on this cylinder, moving around in the world. You can trace something through time by tracing its movements upwards through the cylinder.

But the most important part of this analogy is that the cylinder doesn't change. It's a cylinder, it's there, and that's all there is to it.

Now, moving backwards through time would simply involve moving backwards through the cylinder. But this is an event that is already on the cylinder.

So, either:

1) Time travel is impossible because it's not recorded anywhere on the cylinder, or
2) Time travel won't change anything. Because it already happened.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #93
i_like_ham
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to i_like_ham

even so if you could go the speed of light and and we could use time dilation to our advantage we would have to be able to harness it. Noit only that but then there would have to be a pretdetermined future becuz how can you go into the future if it hasn't happened yet. If anything is evenly remotely "possible" it would be going back in time but even that can't be achieved.

i_like_ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 AM   #94
Kit-
Private College

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samineru
Also people are ignoring the fact that if it was not possible to travel through time nothing would happen. So the real question is can we modify the speed of our travel through time. http://www.rebelscience.org/Crackpot...us.htm#Nothing is a relevant article talking about travel through time. But one of the most clear and understandable points to me was how would you measure time travel? Would it be something like 1s per 5s? Then you would simplify to a speed of just 1/5, with no units, which just is not acceptable.
Radians are meters/meter. Did I just break the universe?
Kit- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #95
djreality14
Banned

Send a message via MSN to djreality14

Has anyone read the Michael Crichton book, "Timeline"? I think that's a good way of defining time travel.
djreality14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:14 AM   #96
flamingspinach
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit-
Radians are meters/meter. Did I just break the universe?
No lol, learn your physics properly - radians are meter-radians per meter.

Also I like how people keep bumping this topic with posts that totally disregard everything that has been established over the last 96 posts >_>

-fs
Old 07-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #97
Suzuru
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingspinach
No lol, learn your physics properly - radians are meter-radians per meter.

Also I like how people keep bumping this topic with posts that totally disregard everything that has been established over the last 96 posts >_>

-fs
Quote:
Many people would sooner die than think. In fact, they do. - Bertrand Russell
Quote:
Let us be thankful for fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed. - Mark Twain
Handy quotes
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #98
T0rajir0u
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_ham
there would have to be a pretdetermined future
Good job. Read my post.

@others: Radians have no units, and why would you want to measure time travel?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #99
i_like_ham
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to i_like_ham

it is possible to see past events and future events though. this would require going several times the speed of light though and you would not be in a different time era but you would be able to view something from long ago. If you where to leave earth right now and go several hundred light years away in one light year, you would see the earth from 99 light years ago. this is only becuz you have surpassed the distance that the light earth has reflected. So you would see earth at a different time. also you can do this by going to a distant star. from earth you are seeing the star from however long it took for that light to reach earth. if you could travel faster to that star than it took for the light to reach earth then you would then skip several stages of it's life.

i_like_ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #100
flamingspinach
FFR Player

t0rajir0u, sure radians have units - they're a transformation between two distance domains.