Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #41
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: time travel

I don't see why you would be concered with time stopping at the speed of light anyway.

Nonsensical garbage. Time is never going to stop, because it'll never happen, because it can't happen. Not only can an object with real mass not go that fast, you'd be ripped apart long beforehand unless you plan on warping or something, in which those laws don't apply. It's like saying particles SHOULD stop moving at absolute zero. Great. Will it ever happen? No, it's not possible.

And I can't agree with a black hole being a rip. Near infinitely curved space time, yes, however there is no tear in the fabric XD There is no 'rip' at the event horizon, just a change in gravitational field so strong no physical thing could escape its pull. I suppose the terms 'rip' and 'infinite' are used improperly to skip complicated explainations.

Last edited by Reach; 06-14-2006 at 07:35 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #42
trillobyite
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach
Nonsensical garbage. Time is never going to stop, because it'll never happen, because it can't happen. Not only can an object with real mass not go that fast, you'd be ripped apart long beforehand unless you plan on warping or something, in which those laws don't apply. It's like saying particles SHOULD stop moving at absolute zero. Great. Will it ever happen? No, it's not possible.
You got me on the whole time dilation thing before, but I'm pretty sure the theory states that any object travelling at the exact speed of light would literally reach a point in which time ceases to exist. I doubt one can get an object or a person to reach that speed which is why I'm assuming building a time machine is practically impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach
And I can't agree with a black hole being a rip. Near infinitely curved space time, yes, however there is no tear in the fabric XD There is no 'rip' at the event horizon, just a change in gravitational field so strong no physical thing could escape its pull. I suppose the terms 'rip' and 'infinite' are used improperly to skip complicated explainations.
Well I derived my statement from this site: http://www.avinashv.net/2005/04/13/black-holes/

And it states in these words:
" black hole is unbelievably dense and massive. It has such a strong gravitational field that even light cannot escape. This is a Schwarzschild black hole.

A black hole is composed of two main parts: the singularity and the event horizon. The singularity is the core of a black hole. At the singularity, the known laws of Physics cease, and as a result the singularity actually creates a rip in the fabric of space-time. The event horizon is the point of no return, the opening of the rip in the fabric of space-time, beyond which no object can return. Once inside the event horizon, all points in space-time (read: events) stop. The radius of an event horizon is called Schwarzschild radius."....etc.

According to the site the singularity of the hole actually rips the fabric.
Every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lives here on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.
http://obs.nineplanets.org/psc/pbd.html
trillobyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #43
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
You got me on the whole time dilation thing before, but I'm pretty sure the theory states that any object travelling at the exact speed of light would literally reach a point in which time ceases to exist. I doubt one can get an object or a person to reach that speed which is why I'm assuming building a time machine is practically impossible.
Um, the theory states time dilates exponentially to a change in energy/gravitational field intensity. "Theoretically" time "should" stop at the speed of light, but the theory does not claim this, because it is simply not possible. Instead it states that to travel at such a speed would require an infinite amount of energy, thus impossible. Time cannot cease to exist because one could never, ever reach the speed of light (without warping).

And according to that site is wrong. There is no rip in space time. Some people 'speculate' black holes rip into some alternate universe, but there is absolutely no proof of this. A singularity just curves space beyond measure, to a point that is so small and dense it is defined as infinitely both, making it absolutely impossible to know what is happening there because of the quantum(random) effects happening at such a field intensity (which essentially means our mathematical solutions give us undefined answers). Einstein actually discovered it before hawkings found proof, but discarded it because he believed the undefined solution to be impossible.

Then again it's hard to say. There's quantum loop theory, and infinities there arn't a mathimatical problem. Generally, as of right now we don't know, if it extends infinitely, if it's small beyond measure or something else, but a lot of theory should be testable soon, so we will learn a lot. A big part of the problem right now is the math, and the use of constants in a lot of situations are used to fill in unknowns, which is likely why undefined solutions occur.

Last edited by Reach; 06-15-2006 at 09:50 AM..
Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #44
flamingspinach
FFR Player

rofl

I like how nobody seems to have read my post at all :/
Old 06-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #45
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

I read it.

Just because noone replied to it doesn't mean it wasn't read, though, because of it's length and the constant QUASI SPATIAL, it probably was not read by many XD

Not to mention you essentially said what others have said, except in another manner, with more detail.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #46
laughsitup2005
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to laughsitup2005

I dont't think that there is time travel. If there was time travel, someone would have altered the past already. That past would make a new present and completely knock us out of existance. That little propoganda about back to the future is something that could be considered. I conclude that there is no such thing as time travel. I also heard that if you exit from the black hole, time will warp back by 3 months. Any takers on this motion?

I wonder what his face really looks like?
laughsitup2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:47 AM   #47
ruifio894
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to ruifio894 Send a message via AIM to ruifio894 Send a message via Yahoo to ruifio894

Time travel is clearly possible. It is possible right now.

If you live in the U.S. then fly to Japan. You would be flying from a time zone, to a different time zone. That's traveling into a different time. Thats time travel. Clear and simple.

ruifio894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:35 AM   #48
flamingspinach
FFR Player

um... no it's not >_>
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #49
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

rofl guys

rofl
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #50
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruifio894
Time travel is clearly possible. It is possible right now.

If you live in the U.S. then fly to Japan. You would be flying from a time zone, to a different time zone. That's traveling into a different time. Thats time travel. Clear and simple.
except no
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #51
ruifio894
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to ruifio894 Send a message via AIM to ruifio894 Send a message via Yahoo to ruifio894

proove your point

Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #52
laughsitup2005
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to laughsitup2005

I will prove it myself. Sure, you travel to Japan, you will have to put a few hours back on your watch, but if you were to travel to Japan in 2 seconds, you would have that 3 hour advantage, but then travel the rest of the world back to your house in another 2 seconds, do you go back an entrite day? Nope, you will only be 4 ahead seconds after you left. Besides, the time zones only measure the time to make earth's rotation. Same thing like walking. If you walk West, do you travel back in time?

I wonder what his face really looks like?
laughsitup2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #53
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Lmfao! I've actually heard that before...but lol

You do realize time zones exist because we as humans have placed them there to standardize time?

Here is an example of why this is not time travel: At my house, my clock is set at 4:43. Now my friends watch says it is 2:43, and when he arrives at my house, his watch says 2:45 and my clock says 4:45! Has he traveled 2 hours into the future? Obviously not.

A time zone is the exact same thing. In that example, my house is another time zone where the clock is set differently. When you fly into another time zone you're flying into an area where their clocks are offset to standardize time.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #54
super-smashman
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to super-smashman

Reach, never stop posting in CT.

flamingspinach, I love how you described time as a 3D object. (Not sarcasm at all). I tried to explain the same thing to someone else and it went right over thier head. But after reading that I think I could teach him now.

Oh, and as a side note, what are the units for calculating something using E=mc^2?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #55
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Just remember to keep your units the same. However, you should have your mass in kilograms and the speed of light in meters per second (299800000 m/s). You'll get an answer in joules.

Last edited by Reach; 06-21-2006 at 04:08 PM..
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 PM   #56
ruifio894
FFR Player

**** that.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #57
djreality14
Banned

Send a message via MSN to djreality14

If time travel was possible, there is the possibility of something happening that causes you to not time travel...

That didn't make sense at all.

Ok:

Let's say a billiard ball goes back in time. It's rolling along, and accidentally hits itself. It cracks, and then it can't time travel. What happens then?

Personally, I don't think time travel can exist. If you wanted to time travel, you would, in theory, have to go faster than light. When reaching the speed of light, time begins to stop, mass reaches infinity, and something else happens that I forgot. Now, if you to reach light speed, you would have infinte mass. That's kinda bad, seeing how that isn't possible. Also, if you're moving at the speed of light, and racing a ray of light, the ray of light would seem to be moving at the speed of light. In other words, the ray of light would pass by you at 300,000,000 meters per second.
djreality14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2006, 12:56 PM   #58
mailedbypostman
FFR Player

Time travel is possible; we're experiencing it right now.
mailedbypostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-4-2006, 02:48 PM   #59
flamingspinach
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailedbypostman
Time travel is possible; we're experiencing it right now.
lol that's a pat answer that is actually wrong - we're not "traveling" through time, rather our time is another dimension of us.
Old 07-4-2006, 03:21 PM   #60
megaxxx
FFR Player

Let me put it like this to finalize this thread. If time travel was possible, someone would have affected the past and as a result, would have affected us all at out present state and we would cease to exist.

megaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote