Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-5-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
[Prophecy]
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to [Prophecy]
Default Rhythmic Theory Tutorial

http://www.prophetikmusic.com/forums...ic.php?p=33#33

It's still somewhat of a wip, so feedback is welcome.
[Prophecy] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Retromancer
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Retromancer
Default RE: Rhythmic Theory Tutorial

At least, at a primary glance, this looks really damn nice. Thanks, good resource, especially for those of us who don't have the ability to learn any kind of music theory through an official program.
Retromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
[Prophecy]
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Default Re: RE: Rhythmic Theory Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer
At least, at a primary glance, this looks really damn nice. Thanks, good resource, especially for those of us who don't have the ability to learn any kind of music theory through an official program.
Thanks. If you get the tme to look at it more closely, let me know what you think.
Old 12-6-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
eyespewgreekfire
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Rhythmic Theory Tutorial

It has some good ideas, but it sure is vague compared to music theory? Your stuff like "the texture rule" stating that the right rhythms need the right samples. BTW, there already is some rather comprehensive rhythm theory by the theorist Joseph Schillinger.

eyespewgreekfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
[Prophecy]
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Rhythmic Theory Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespewgreekfire
It has some good ideas, but it sure is vague compared to music theory? Your stuff like "the texture rule" stating that the right rhythms need the right samples. BTW, there already is some rather comprehensive rhythm theory by the theorist Joseph Schillinger.
Share. I've been looking for years for something like that, and never found anything. Even college course labeled "Rhythmic Theory" often only apply aural ideas in pertinance to individual acoustic percussive instruments. The very rare true theory I have found has been entirely unpractical or limited specifically to a cultural application, rather than universal.
Old 12-6-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
[Prophecy]
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

After a google search, I found this book:

Encyclopedia of Rhythms: Instrumental Forms of Harmony - a massive collection of rhythm patterns (evolved according to the Schillinger theory of interference) arranged in instrumental form [pages A-W, 4-250]

After reading some descriptions, apparently it is extremely hard to find, and not a theory book but rather an encyclopedia of rhythm patterns for harmony and melody, NOT percussion. Sorry, but this is just more of the same of what I've found in my personal searching and I've found much closer to universal rhythmic theory than this. I suggest you read the introduction of my rhythm method tutorial to get an idea where I'm coming from with this.
Old 12-7-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
SuperGreenX
Tangy music sauce maker
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreenX

Nice tutorial. Thanks for the effort, yo.

Wonderful Bite - New SGX Album! You can get it for free, yo!
SuperGreenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
eyespewgreekfire
FFR Player

You'll find what you need in "The Schillinger System of Music Composition" by Joseph Schillinger. Volume 1 is about rhythm. It is VERY heavy reading, but his ideas are the most broad of any theorist to date.

eyespewgreekfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
[Prophecy]
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
You'll find what you need in "The Schillinger System of Music Composition" by Joseph Schillinger. Volume 1 is about rhythm. It is VERY heavy reading, but his ideas are the most broad of any theorist to date.
What KIND of rhythm!? Everything I found on this guy pertained specifically to harmonic and melodic rhythm, not a single mention of anything percussive. While there will be inherent similarities between percussive rhythm and melodic, there are also huge differences, and quite a few of them. Please share some examples. As for broad theory, do you mean as in, more intangible, and less practical? Because all the descriptions of his work on theory I found mentioned only his findings on uses of theory, must less his explanation thereof. If you need an example of this, just read your own post again:

Quote:
So, if its just broad theory , why does the book title say its a system of musical composition?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #10
MonkeyFoo
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Shox, I can't find anything about rhythm on musictheory.net. It's a poor, neglected bit of composition :'(

Prophecy, two things: The sound clips, if they are supposed to be there, aren't. And, what is that archaic-looking program you use to make the images? Or are they not actual screenshots?

All the same, I'll have to make use of your lesson as soon as I find some time.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
[Prophecy]
FFR Music Producers
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFoo
Shox, I can't find anything about rhythm on musictheory.net. It's a poor, neglected bit of composition :'(

Prophecy, two things: The sound clips, if they are supposed to be there, aren't. And, what is that archaic-looking program you use to make the images? Or are they not actual screenshots?

All the same, I'll have to make use of your lesson as soon as I find some time.
The loops are supposed to be there. There's a big warning at the top of the "articles" section saying that you must use IE to correctly use the tutorials. The reason for this being, is that on a number of other alternative browsers, people either couldn't hear the loops, or all the loops played automatically when the page loaded. IE is the only browser that works for everyone. However, I'm considering having TWO versions. One for IE browsers, one for everything else. In the meantime though, I just want to get it done.

Oh, and those aren't screen shots. I made them in paint, in order to maximize their clarity through simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox
Typically when people insert very short posts with a blatantly germane link, they didn't actually bother to read the thread, and figured they were being clever. However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your intent was actually to prove my point through a backhanded effort. This is of course being that there IS nothing of relevance to rhythmic theory on that site PERIOD. That would make your post seem rather efficient in its purpose. Which, coincidentally just appears to be strikingly similar to so many posts made with a presumptive, arrogant and pharisaic attitude.

Thanks for the feedback MonkeyFoo.