Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in alien life and/or UFOs?
No 4 8.51%
Only alien life. UFOs are bs. 23 48.94%
Yes 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-9-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
pntballa18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to pntballa18 Send a message via Skype™ to pntballa18
Default RE: Aliens! Glard!

BUMP. UFO's are just unidentified. They don't have to be aliens.
Old 06-9-2005, 12:34 PM   #22
dibshead
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dibshead
Default Re: RE: Aliens! Glard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntballa18
BUMP. UFO's are just unidentified. They don't have to be aliens.
Thats true, where in the phrase UFO do you see alien?
dibshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #23
british_bmx2005
Banned

Send a message via AIM to british_bmx2005 Send a message via MSN to british_bmx2005 Send a message via Yahoo to british_bmx2005
Default RE: Aliens! Glard!

If NASA actually finds more proof that there was life on Mars, then that would be something, hu?
british_bmx2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #24
dibshead
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to dibshead

pffft NASA isn't real
dibshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #25
magister_negi_magi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to magister_negi_magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibshead
pffft NASA isn't real
What rock have you been living under?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:02 AM   #26
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Maybe something, but not intelligent life.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #27
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I think denying the existance of any other species in the universe is the most retarded thing a person can do with their mental capacity.

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 AM   #28
pntballa18
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to pntballa18 Send a message via Skype™ to pntballa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by magister_negi_magi
it doesn't take billions of light years to travel across our galaxy
A light year is a distance, not a time.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:23 AM   #29
DDR_9-footer
FFR Player

[quote="pntballa18"]
Quote:
it doesn't take billions of >>>light years wtf<<<to travel across our galaxy
0_o???
nice catch pintballa

I live for Funcannon
DDR_9-footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #30
magister_negi_magi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to magister_negi_magi

Yesh, a light year is a unit of distance, and as such, was used to indicate it does not take billions of said units to travel across our galaxy. It's like saying, "It doesn't take billions of miles to travel to the mall from here." Going back and reading over it, it does sound strange, but I can't see anything wrong with it.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #31
somerndmguy
FFR Player

Default Re: Alien life

Quote:
Yesh, a light year is a unit of distance, and as such, was used to indicate it does not take billions of said units to travel across our galaxy. It's like saying, "It doesn't take billions of miles to travel to the mall from here." Going back and reading over it, it does sound strange, but I can't see anything wrong with it.
Agreed.

Interesting how like, one or two ppl suggested the fact that alien life might NOT be hyperintelligent supergeniuses... They could just be lowly bacteria starting to develop in a primordial ooze stuff...

Besides, the human intelligence seems quite accidental... It's already quite uncommon to find a planet with suitable conditions for life... even LESS likely to find life... and EVEN LESS likely to have a structural thing like a backbone, let alone have advanced intelligence or the power of communication... I wonder if we're one of a kind in this universe...

I'm just saying...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #32
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lightknight924

Mars, may have been a past Earth. I mean look at these possibilities:

1. There is life on mars such as plants.
2. There is some water.
3. It's a solid planet.

It has all the qualities an organism would have needed to survive. The climates may have been colder because of the distance of the sun to Mars compared to the Earth and the suns distance. Look, the atmosphere has been burning holes and things like this. The core of the Earth is slowing down gradually which will(in time) rid the magnetic field. Then the suns solar waves will come and wipe out the Earth's life. Leaving it mishaped and unhabited. Much like mars. So maybe Mars had been a planet much like Earth? Perhaps the organisms got away from Mars before it was too late. Think of the possibilities here.
Lightknight924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #33
dawg4321
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dawg4321

Aliens exist. screw math and science. There are like googleplexs' of galaxies and stars and there just has to be other lifeforms. And also somerndmguy, you think that you need a planet with plants and water and things for life but u don't probably. Other life forms probably don't follow the same basic needs that humans need. Secondly communication is slow and aliens that are more intelligent then us have prolly found ways of telepathic communication or a whole different concept of communication altogether. Anyways, that's my opinion. You don't gotta believe it.

dawg4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #34
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lightknight924

Yes, but to our knowledge, all living organisms need to have energy. Energy has been proven to lessen or run out over a certain amount of time. You have to consume something to regain it. Every organism must replenish itself. Therefore, since we know of no animals in space, they must survive on a planet.

Our body quickly runs out of energy without oxygen causing us or any other animal to pass out. Same goes for any living animal. Unless they can somhow bypass the laws of Life itself and live without food or water or even oxygen.
That seems very unreal to me. Although, I still could be wrong.

Edit* Here's something, Religion. We have no clue how many other lifeforms are out there so we have no clue how many possible religions could exist. Hundreds. Thousands. Millions. Billions. It never ends. So to some other superior race somewhere, Christianity or Judaism could seem dumb and unreal.

Last edited by Lightknight924; 02-27-2006 at 08:03 PM..
Lightknight924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2006, 07:13 PM   #35
Liskenger
FFR Player

The truth is personally, I believe that Aliens exist. And that stupid ass movies like Signs and stuff make it all cut out to be nothing. They probably are smarter. But I also believe that there is probably another world, possibly just like earth. Humans that look alike etc. I mean, we can't be the only form. Theres not just a bunch of fish in a lake. They are in every natural body of water almost. And if aliens were to break the light/sound barrier, hyperspeed or whatever you would like to call it, it would have an extreme amount of pressure on their body. They would need some kind of object to allow them to cut through the air, having no inertia or friction. BTW the flying saucer crap is BS. Not aerodynamic, unless aliens are like us and believe style over power is more important.
Liskenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2006, 03:46 PM   #36
Bamboozler
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Bamboozler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach
Well, if they actually were advanced enough to break the speed of light/warp travel, im sure they wouldn't have any problem finding us hataki. They would be too advanced for us to even comprehend at this point in time.

And yes I do believe there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The universe is bigger than we can comprehend really...the chances of there being no life elsewhere is basically 0, even though life is obviously rare, there are more planets out there than we can even give a number value to.
I do agree with the fact that there's a good chance aliens exist. However, I believe that the comment that the universe is to big to give a number value to is invalid. How do you know for a CERTAIN fact the universe has no limit? No one does, and just because you BELIEVE aliens exist doesnt mean they do. At this point in time, we may or may not be the only species in the universe, or there may be others, and WE may be the most advanced of all of them. It's no ones right to say, or even make suggestions about hese kinds of topics until we have more information to go on... least ways til' we have enough technology to venture outside our solar system with technology other than just cameras...
Bamboozler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2006, 05:04 PM   #37
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Light, a couple of points:

One, there is no life on Mars that we've seen (referring to the plants you mentioned earlier. I'm still baffled that you can talk out of your ass like that). Two, Mars is (in astronomical time) just as old as the Earth. It still has a molten core and a magnetic field. Suggesting that it was inhabited and went through natural decay far faster than the Earth is absurd.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.

Last edited by GuidoHunter; 03-7-2006 at 05:11 PM..
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2006, 07:52 PM   #38
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozler
I do agree with the fact that there's a good chance aliens exist. However, I believe that the comment that the universe is to big to give a number value to is invalid. How do you know for a CERTAIN fact the universe has no limit? No one does, and just because you BELIEVE aliens exist doesnt mean they do. At this point in time, we may or may not be the only species in the universe, or there may be others, and WE may be the most advanced of all of them. It's no ones right to say, or even make suggestions about hese kinds of topics until we have more information to go on... least ways til' we have enough technology to venture outside our solar system with technology other than just cameras...
Where did I say the universe has no limit? ...

Saying we can't give a number value to the planets is simply an expression. There are so many of them we'd never be able to get it right.

Hell, considering the universe is expanding it isn't infinite. We could (to a point) measure the space inside of it.

However, let's do a little math. I'll assume there are 100 billion stars in our galaxy, which is a fair estimate. I'll also assume this galaxy is of a fairly standard size...meaning there will be both larger and smaller, but I'll make it the average. Now let's say only one in 10 million stars contain solar systems. Fair enough. So there are 10000 solar systems. Now let's estimate the number of galaxies in the universe to be around 100 billion which is pretty tame...alright, you can do the rest of the math.

Sure, I can't prove they exist! However, not making logical conclusions from data we have observed is stupid.

And what the **** are you going on about with rights? Modern astronomy suggests solar systems with earth like planets are probably the norm over something 'super rare' as a lot of people trying to defend religion and such will tell you. It's called making rational conclusions. Noone's saying such and such is fact, we're having a discussion.

I personally think there is lots and lots of different kinds of life out there.

And sorry buddy, but we'll likely have to rely on pictures for a very long time. Unless you're willing to figure out how to warp space time, then we're stuck...unless you enjoy traveling through space for thousands of years.
Old 03-7-2006, 07:57 PM   #39
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozler
Where did I say the universe has no limit? ...

Saying we can't give a number value to the planets is simply an expression. There are so many of them we'd never be able to get it right.

Hell, considering the universe is expanding it isn't infinite. We could (to a point) measure the space inside of it.

However, let's do a little math. I'll assume there are 100 billion stars in our galaxy, which is a fair estimate. I'll also assume this galaxy is of a fairly standard size...meaning there will be both larger and smaller, but I'll make it the average. Now let's say only one in 10 million stars contain solar systems. Fair enough. So there are 10000 solar systems (which is way too few) Now let's estimate the number of galaxies in the universe to be around 100 billion which is pretty tame...alright, you can do the rest of the math.

Sure, I can't prove they exist! However, not making logical conclusions from data we have observed is stupid.

And what the **** are you going on about with rights? Modern cosmology suggests solar systems with earth like planets are probably the norm over something 'super rare' as a lot of people trying to defend religion and such will tell you. It's called making rational conclusions. Noone's saying such and such is fact, we're having a discussion.

I personally think there is lots and lots of different kinds of life out there.

And sorry buddy, but we'll likely have to rely on pictures for a very long time. Unless you're willing to figure out how to warp space time, then we're stuck...unless you enjoy traveling through space for thousands of years. Ideas are what push civilization. You can't say "you have no right until we have more information!". Yea, I bet that's what they told Iaasic Newton.

Last edited by Reach; 03-8-2006 at 12:25 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-8-2006, 12:02 AM   #40
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

Apparently I have voted on this but never posted.

According to NASA there are approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe (put Reach's equation into a number). We are discovering that many stars have planetary systems, not just ours, we simply could not find them because they are quite small. Although I recall from an article in National Geographic they have discovered planets the size of Jupiter or so near other stars. We know that life can live on earth in very cold and very hot conditions, and what we know of evolution just increases the chances of life on other planets with different climates than ours.

I do not believe any sentient life will find its way here, because of the distances that other stars are away. But I do believe we have enough evidence on Earth that other life is POSSIBLE on other planets. We may be the very lucky, only sentient beings in the entire universe! Or, there may be life right around the corner in our own galaxy. It is impossible to know with the current technology.

But do I think there is life out there, somewhere in the universe, right this moment? Definately.