Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #21
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Atheism/Theism thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
I respect people's right to believe what they want to believe.

I don't respect religion. (o:
Also this, plus from my experience, at least in real life, if you out yourself as a an atheist, people wish to convert you or damn you to hell instead of the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 View Post
If you look at it purely as a work of literature, the bible is actually pretty cool.
Most definitely one of the best pieces of fiction ever written.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

don't equate atheism to science tho lol
Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Beliefs are beliefs. I can't call myself atheist, more agnostic really. Pure atheists annoy me more than the average religious person does btw since they scoff at any other belief other than "there is no god/deity/supreme being"

To me if you have your own beliefs and they allow you to live a happier and fulfilled life then who the fuck cares. Just don't go cramming it down other people's throats or judging someone on what they believe, regardless of how wrong it might be.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Beliefs are beliefs. I can't call myself atheist, more agnostic really. Pure atheists annoy me more than the average religious person does btw since they scoff at any other belief other than "there is no god/deity/supreme being"

To me if you have your own beliefs and they allow you to live a happier and fulfilled life then who the fuck cares. Just don't go cramming it down other people's throats.
and this post is pretty much me too
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Spirit View Post
I'm definitely open to atheism, i just find it rather hard to believe any given thing cited from a scientist, just as i find it hard to believe in any given religion thats' only supposed facts are from a book. Everyone in the lent thread definitely misunderstood me when i opened this debate, i meant to be as FAIR as possible, not rant about my religious beliefs(Which i don't have)
The difference is that science is based in hard evidence, whereas religion is not.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via Skype™ to RB_Spirit

Quote:

To me if you have your own beliefs and they allow you to live a happier and fulfilled life then who the fuck cares. Just don't go cramming it down other people's throats or judging someone on what they believe, regardless of how wrong it might be.
I 100% respect that about you, and i'm basically on the same boat as you as far as beliefs go.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

On a less serious note, something that I think all "camps" (atheists, agnostics, theists) can laugh about:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/checkmate-atheists
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
The difference is that science is based in hard evidence, whereas religion is not.
Yeah, i understand that. But i'm not the kind of person that will take proclaimed facts word for word, i'm more of a hands on person, i would need solid evidence of my own to form a particular belief, guess i'm never going to have beliefs on how this world was formed. .___________.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:

If you've paid attention to the political landscape of the USA, however, it's pretty clear that the religious influence over things is a far, far greater evil than "the annoying atheist who makes fun of you."

There are plenty of atheists who are still dumb as shit when it comes to scientific literacy -- in which case I would say they are right, but for the "wrong" reasons. Of course I fall into the camp of those who think that people should be able to back up why they believe what they do.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:

Bingo. And likewise for me. This sums up the thread well. Props.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #31
Dynam0
The Dominator

@Reincarnate

I take a pragmatic stance because we haven't attained an answer to confirm or deny a supreme being. That would be my why anyways
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #32
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Spirit View Post
Yeah, i understand that. But i'm not the kind of person that will take proclaimed facts word for word, i'm more of a hands on person, i would need solid evidence of my own to form a particular belief, guess i'm never going to have beliefs on how this world was formed. .___________.

Well, facts are facts. You can't dispute facts. They're the same for me, the same for you, and the same for everyone -- considering that we all share the same reality.

As for "solid evidence," there's plenty of it. We know for a fact that our Earth formed from accretion, and this is something you can even look out and see happening in space. The cool thing about astronomy is that you can look back in time due to the way the speed of light works. You can see galaxies/planets/stars undergoing all sorts of different stages of life. Our planet is no exception, as we're just one of many, many, many, many.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #33
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
If you've paid attention to the political landscape of the USA, however, it's pretty clear that the religious influence over things is a far, far greater evil than "the annoying atheist who makes fun of you."

Agreed, and it needs to stop.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #34
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
@Reincarnate

I take a pragmatic stance because we haven't attained an answer to confirm or deny a supreme being. That would be my why anyways

Then I kindly ask you to read this and get back to me (it's one page and will take you no more than a couple minutes)

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/Dragon.htm
Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #35
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
I really wish this was the way religions worked but, unfortunately, a goal of almost every religion is to gather more followers.

It pisses me off when I'm at my aunts house because she's so adamant about "setting me right again with God." But my mom's just like "hey I respect your beliefs but I'll still pray for you," and leaves it at that.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #36
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I call myself agnostic so I can say a hail mary on my death bed and at least have a shot at getting to heaven.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #37
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Shit, this.
Overly athiest people annoy me more than overly religious people

I respect any one thats a part of a religion or belief and respects other peoples religions or beliefs even if they don't agree

Hate those fucking athiests that are the most retaliative elitist people in any instance that religion is even mentioned lmao. Got their own stereotype
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
RB_Spirit
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
i call myself agnostic so i can say a hail mary on my death bed and at least have a shot at getting to heaven.
lmfao dead!!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #39
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

IMO it comes down to what you mean by "respect."

Do I "respect" your beliefs? Well, by this it means I won't treat you unfairly because you believe in God, because that belief in itself is harmless. It's not affecting me any more than your preference for ice cream. It's what you want to believe -- so be it.

However, if your belief involves something where you think it's your "right" to impinge on me, or that your God "speaks to/for you" and justifies your ability to screw with me... there's no way in hell I respect that.

Dawkins is an asshole, but basically this:

Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #40
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
I call myself agnostic so I can say a hail mary on my death bed and at least have a shot at getting to heaven.
mfw pascal's wager