Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
wargasm1
Cowbelling FFR
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to wargasm1
Default Re: How to get over social anxiety?

keep talking to lots of people, working in public helps.
wargasm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Just be nice and chill with People without being someone you're not. The more you think about their perception of you, the more likely you are to act on anxiety.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Like I said take tons of drugs
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
SC_coolguy44
Harmonoize
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SC_coolguy44

I feel the same way wondering if people even want me around them, especially because I have been rejected by my own 'friends' before. I'm not good at starting conversations and also have lots of trouble meeting strangers IRL. Just like A2P, this is something major I have struggled with my whole life.
SC_coolguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
Abstract Art
FFR Player

I know the exact feeling you're referring to, A2P. To be honest, it hasn't always been a thing that's bothered me, either. I noticed that the feeling you're describing became more prominent and apparent when most of my REALLY, REALLY close friends started to go their separate ways in life (ie. some dropped out of high school, some moved away, some went to different universities etc.). I think the feeling you're describing is a general insecurity about constantly being compelled to get people to like you.

The best thing I can suggest is that you just develop really close relationships with a select few people that you've known for a really long time, generally when you have a solid base foundation of buddies that you're absolutely comfortable being with, most of your insecurities just go away. But, when you don't have that solid foundation of a good support network of friends, then you begin trying to seek approval from literally everyone you come into contact with - including random people you've never even spoke to. It does become a nightmare, but just know you're not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
Just be nice and chill with People without being someone you're not. The more you think about their perception of you, the more likely you are to act on anxiety.
Definitely this.

Edit: I'm also from Chicago, lol.

Last edited by Abstract Art; 09-11-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Abstract Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

Know that feel bro. It's why I'm a social hermit and have no friends.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
i heart candy
Retired
FFR Veteran

Be yourself and stop being a poo c.

i heart candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #28
i will pwn u
idontmash.ipressextrakeys
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to i will pwn u Send a message via Skype™ to i will pwn u

As a couple people already have said , the biggest thing that has helped me get over my anxieties was realizing people come and go in life as you grow and only put effort into caring what the important people think. Idgaf what anyone really thinks of me at this point in life and it has helped me a lot.. be yourself and be happy and don't care . It makes life a little easier imo.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

The people who will judge you negatively based on everyday things you may say or do aren't the people that you're going to want to socialize with anyways.
I think you need to remind yourself that you have absolutely no idea what most people think about you most of the time, and so not only is it detrimental to your ego to think about how they might not like you, whatever you're thinking is also probably wrong. Again though, those couple of times when you find out that you are right, that that person thinks poorly of you, they don't matter to you anymore. They're mean, ignorant, stupid and judgemental. And it's not just 'not letting them get to you', because that implies a struggle and you overcome something. The struggle shouldn't exist in the first place.
Which is pretty much what everyone else has been saying; don't give a shit.
I suppose it's different if, say, the person who thinks poorly of you is your mom or a really good friend, and maybe at those times you should take a step back and wonder what you did wrong before brushing them off. But I don't think you were talking about socializing in those regards.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

seriously drugs will make you so social
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #31
i heart candy
Retired
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
seriously drugs will make you so social
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

i heart candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

try to make yourself say hi to random people as you pass by them. It helps increase your tolerance to random people.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Just be positive and friendly to people. Get out there and do more things, initiate plans and be proactive. Easier said than done, but you will have much more fulfilling experiences building solid social friendships and consequently your self-esteem will get a nice boost too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i was gonna quote some people, but there's too much good stuff.

this is oversimplified, but hey: there are three kinds of people
1) those who feel just like you, quite anxious. so busy worrying about themselves, they barely even notice you. don't be intimidated by these people. they are your equals, in the same situation as you.
2) those who are seemingly more comfortable, they hardly feel self-conscious. these are some of the people that do judge you negatively, that may laugh behind your back. don't be intimidated by these people. they are assholes and not worth your time.
3) those who are seemingly more comfortable, they hardly feel self-conscious. these are some of the people that judge you positively. they see you as an equal, a human being. they will respect you unless you give them a reason not to. don't be intimidated by these people. they already like you and will listen to you.

i used the word "seemingly", as many people appear to not be anxious when they really are.

what Aldentron said is a very good point, imo. i've mostly overcome the social anxiety i had when i was younger. accepting being alone has been more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^

Last edited by Emanresu13; 09-11-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

jesus christ that sig is so totally not SFW
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

I've had similar problems with this too. What helps me is thinking of a number between 1-100 out of how stressed I am and rationally thinking how stressed I should feel. It sometimes helps me work through initial feelings of irrational social stress.
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #37
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

It works both ways. You also need to be tolerant of other people. Perhaps think about times you may have made other people feel the way you're feeling now and how you could have acted differently. Perhaps consider making friends with people you would not have originally considered. Keep in mind your likes/etc will likely not match 100% with anyone else, and that's okay. Don't just only try to make friends with the "cool" people or really outgoing ones or whatever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #38
colt.45
WASHED UP
FFR Veteran

I don't personally recommend taking any type of Anxiety medication because it just covers up your problems, not fix them. You can do it yourself!

I have had very severe anxiety since April of 2009 when I was 17. It appeared out of nowhere one morning when I woke up. Back then I really didn't understand what the feeling was. Later on, I was diagnosed with GAD, Panic disorder and Social Anxiety. I'm pretty sure these rooted from my past. When I was younger I was physically and mentally bullied for a time period of 8 school years. Girls would punch, kick and bruise me up every week. I would be called a fatass in front of the whole class. I literally had no friends until Sophmore year or when I was 16 because I changed who I was.... to be accepted. I'm very positive this was the trigger in my life. My anxiety was not normal. I sat everyday worrying about everything. I would shake myself to sleep due to panicking. I wouldn't leave the house. I had bad claustrophobia during this time period. Looking up at walls or even the sky I felt trapped.
As of now though, I only get anxiety when I leave my house or am in a huge crowd. I feel very uncomfortable around a larger group of people and I attend a lot of Smash Bros. Tournaments. But I force myself to stay in that position and eventually it will go away and at the end of the day I can say that I accomplished something.

My advice to you though is 1) don't think about it. The more you dwell on those thoughts the more the anxiety will worsen over time. 2) Don't avoid situations. Force yourself to do what makes you uncomfortable. The more you avoid the more challenging the next time will be for you. 3) Change lifestyle habits. Normal sleep schedule, good diet and exercise. 4) Don't give up! and live in the moment not the future. Think positive instead of negative. (Therapy/psychologist could help too). Don't fear the feeling of anxiety.

Last edited by colt.45; 09-11-2012 at 04:35 PM..
colt.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Don't worry, be happy~
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

Thank you so much for your input, guys. Every one of these posts are helpful, and a lot of you have so much insight on this same situation I struggle with. It'll take some adjusting, but with time, I'm sure I can relieve this anxiety someday.

A2P is offline   Reply With Quote