Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #81
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Facebook to be hacked

The fact that facebook may or may not be hacked is totally the uniteresting side of this, the interesting one being the group/groups reason for doing it at all.

I see no reason why governments would not be collecting data on the people on facebook except for the fact that the governments themselves need a reason to.
Hell, didn't the Canadian government only very recently back down on proposed expensive legislation that would make it mandatory for ISP's to track all internet activity so that law-enforcers could access that information whenever they wanted?

In what is probably seen as an odd view for me, I really don't give a shit that people can track my personal information. I mean, anyone could do the same thing before I was on the internet anyways, now it's just a lot easier for someone to do it. Wherein the problem lies with this is what governments/industries DO with the information. I mean, obviously, if someone's going to stomp on free speech or start incarcerating people for things they haven't done but look like they might do, that's where the problem lies. Yes, the collection and synthesis of personal information can lead to human rights crimes, but we should work on preventing abuse of power that information gives. Crack down on that, not prevent information collection at all, especially when it can be used for good.

I suppose there's the total loss of privacy just in general, that that in and of itself is unwanted, but for some reason that doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's because I feel that anything I do or say on the internet isn't said in private and I shouldn't expect it to be private, even on personal websites or pages. I understand that someone out there, if they want to, can track every single webpage I go to, (or at least that my IP 'goes to'.) I don't even have the expectation that my emails are private. And I don't really have that desire to have it all be private either. But my parents for instance, really dislike the fact that the internet is so public, and my mom specifically doesn't use facebook because she knows that it IS public when she wouldn't like it to be. (It's also false to say that your settings are private on facebook if they're easily tracked by someone with a little skill.) I almost feel like this is a difference in a generation gap; not in the use of the internet, but in the desire and expectation of privacy while networking.

(Obviously I don't want people I know going through my email, but the less I know someone, the less I care that they know stuff about me. I DO still expect people to follow proper social etiquette, obviously, and at some point it is criminal to follow someone, aka stalking.)
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #82
Emithith
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Sorry, I meant to say that from wherever you heard that Minecraft DDOS thing is bullshit, not that you were necessarily coming in here and making it up as it's more than understandable why most people would believe it. Wasn't trying to come off as aggressive to you although reading back on my post it seems that way. Sorry.
Okay Apology accepted.

Just saying that Minecraft does have a main server you need to log onto in order to even play the game. So it could be hacked and become semi-big news quick. I'm not sure if bs, but there was an article. Also it was from back in January I think.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #83
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

people getting drunk

and going on ffr

because ur worth it~
Old 10-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #84
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
The fact that facebook may or may not be hacked is totally the uniteresting side of this, the interesting one being the group/groups reason for doing it at all.

I see no reason why governments would not be collecting data on the people on facebook except for the fact that the governments themselves need a reason to.
Hell, didn't the Canadian government only very recently back down on proposed expensive legislation that would make it mandatory for ISP's to track all internet activity so that law-enforcers could access that information whenever they wanted?

In what is probably seen as an odd view for me, I really don't give a shit that people can track my personal information. I mean, anyone could do the same thing before I was on the internet anyways, now it's just a lot easier for someone to do it. Wherein the problem lies with this is what governments/industries DO with the information. I mean, obviously, if someone's going to stomp on free speech or start incarcerating people for things they haven't done but look like they might do, that's where the problem lies. Yes, the collection and synthesis of personal information can lead to human rights crimes, but we should work on preventing abuse of power that information gives. Crack down on that, not prevent information collection at all, especially when it can be used for good.

I suppose there's the total loss of privacy just in general, that that in and of itself is unwanted, but for some reason that doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's because I feel that anything I do or say on the internet isn't said in private and I shouldn't expect it to be private, even on personal websites or pages. I understand that someone out there, if they want to, can track every single webpage I go to, (or at least that my IP 'goes to'.) I don't even have the expectation that my emails are private. And I don't really have that desire to have it all be private either. But my parents for instance, really dislike the fact that the internet is so public, and my mom specifically doesn't use facebook because she knows that it IS public when she wouldn't like it to be. (It's also false to say that your settings are private on facebook if they're easily tracked by someone with a little skill.) I almost feel like this is a difference in a generation gap; not in the use of the internet, but in the desire and expectation of privacy while networking.

(Obviously I don't want people I know going through my email, but the less I know someone, the less I care that they know stuff about me. I DO still expect people to follow proper social etiquette, obviously, and at some point it is criminal to follow someone, aka stalking.)
You have a good point there. I do think what the government DOES with the information is much more important than the fact that they actually have our information. Like, if all they are doing to do is just take our information and store it in a database and then do nothing with it, well, I wouldn't give a ****. On the other hand, if they are going to use it for malicious purposes, like to blackmail people with there "private" photographs they uploaded, that would be a much greater concern.

There is also the question of what type of information they are going for. For example, quantitative data, like facebook posts per week, the comment to status update ratio, and such and such could provide immense statistical data that could be useful for research that may benefit the society as a whole. Qualitative data would be different on the other hand. With quantitative data, you could easily set up some script or program to pull all that quantitative data. But with qualitative data, an actual person has to read that data, interpret it, and log it down and this process would take an immense amount of time for a large amount of data. However, I would only see qualitative data being pulled if the government was suspicious of some person or if that person was involved in a crime (or possibly involved.)

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #85
fido123
FFR Player

Although I totally disagree with the government monitoring our data whether we like it or not, Facebook is doing nothing wrong IMO. When you sign up for Facebook they make it really easy to understand that any information you put up there will be spread. If you don't want that don't make a Facebook.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #86
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

Location: It's grossly inappropriate and borderline bannable. --Guido
Send a message via AIM to -zeroSKILL-

Quote:
I'd like him to even see him decrypt this:

331bf5d65fc1553676bd09ffad765d8d704412a7

It's SHA1
I am still working on cracking this, but for the sake of time, could you narrow down what charsets I should be using and how long the pass is? Which of the following does it include: Lowercase/uppercase/numbers/symbols? Will a dictionary attack work? Should I be bruteforcing, etc. I've already attempted a bruteforce of possible pass's 1-7 digits long, and moved on to a dictionary attack when it failed. I've exhausted a "short" word list, and am now using what I call my "encyclopedia britannica" word list, which may take a week or more to go through at around 3.2 million pass's per second. For some reason my short word list was processing far slower, at about 1.8 million pass's per second. I would switch to a GPU bruteforce, but my computer was next to unusable when executing an attack like that, and I removed the program that allowed it, and can no longer find it.

So, again, just for the sake of time, could you please narrow the charset/length down a little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddychuck@yahoo.com View Post
God is a ******. Go away Jesus freak and read the bible --->
-zeroSKILL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #87
Emithith
FFR Player

little do we know, -ZS- is trying to figure out the pattern for fido, and it's a CD-Key for some game that he plans to pirate.
Harr har. Kidding aside, this will be interesting to see on the 5th next month.
But who knows this is probably just as bogus as 2012.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #88
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Although I totally disagree with the government monitoring our data whether we like it or not, Facebook is doing nothing wrong IMO. When you sign up for Facebook they make it really easy to understand that any information you put up there will be spread. If you don't want that don't make a Facebook.
That said, if you're not on facebook, you're 'missing out' on like, a huge new social aspect that I suspect the majority of north americans use. Furthermore, some employers expect/need you to use Facebook or GooglePlus. Which would then be the the companies fault...
Gah, the thing I'm trying to say is that at some point the pervasiveness/popularity of a technology or ritual or other stuff will make it such that if someone just doesn't like an aspect of something, (like the fact that Facebook isn't private), is not a good enough reason to not participate. Like, say I have a dislike of petroleum products because they're raping the earth and are going to run out, it would be next to impossible to never use things that are manufactured using them, since most plastic uses them. If I chose not to use them, my life would change significantly and I'd have to go and live in the woods or something, which for most people is just not feasible.

Not that Facebook has reached such an extreme point yet, and it likely never will to such an extreme as with the plastic example, since there are other modes of communication, but I think the point still stands with Facebook, especially given that employers use it.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #89
Calcium Deposit
I am the liquor
FFR Music Producer

I don't quite understand why anyone would even care if the government knows what your favorite bands are, your relationship status, or how awesome you thought Ashton Kutcher's latest tweet was. Don't get me wrong, facebook's a stupid site. It's only a matter of time before it gets replaced by an even stupider social networking site. But trying to hack it for a 'good cause' is wasted energy.

Without even consulting facebook the government can learn where you live, where you work, who you hang out with, what types of food you eat, what allergies you have, what medications you take, how many hours you spend on the internet, your blood type, color of your feces, and how many episodes of the Big Bang theory you've seen.
Calcium Deposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #90
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by -zeroSKILL- View Post
I am still working on cracking this, but for the sake of time, could you narrow down what charsets I should be using and how long the pass is? Which of the following does it include: Lowercase/uppercase/numbers/symbols? Will a dictionary attack work? Should I be bruteforcing, etc. I've already attempted a bruteforce of possible pass's 1-7 digits long, and moved on to a dictionary attack when it failed. I've exhausted a "short" word list, and am now using what I call my "encyclopedia britannica" word list, which may take a week or more to go through at around 3.2 million pass's per second. For some reason my short word list was processing far slower, at about 1.8 million pass's per second. I would switch to a GPU bruteforce, but my computer was next to unusable when executing an attack like that, and I removed the program that allowed it, and can no longer find it.

So, again, just for the sake of time, could you please narrow the charset/length down a little?

If his point was to suggest that you're not an "ace hacker" I don't see how asking what is essentially your -target- for help narrowing it down to make it easier helps. :P
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #91
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

"but for the sake of time"

I'm no ace hacker, and almost anyone can crack that hash if they just search for a little bit online.

If I continue to let the program run, eventually the password will be found. I just want to know some general information (most importantly length) to save time. If the password is 40 characters long, I'm not going to be alive by the time my computer finds it through bruteforcing.

If it's an average length password, (say 8-12 characters) it won't take nearly as long, but depending on the charset it could still take a month or more and by the time I do find it, this thread will likely be gone from memory, and it'd be irrelevant for me to post the plain text of the hash.

If I were trying to dehash a password that I wanted ASAP, I would go back to google and go searching for a program that would crack hashes utilizing my GPU, rather than my CPU. GPU I can generate upwards of 2bil pass's a minute, which is about 20x faster than what my CPU is outputting right now. It would take 36 hours on my GPU to do what the CPU will in a month. Problem being, my computer becomes next to unusable during that time.

So, I'm still running a dictionary attack on the hash. And have been for several days. If the dictionary attack fails, that will probably be enough time for people to forget about this thread and for me to give up.

If I get a "hint", I can still crack the hash, and do so in a much more timely manner.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #92
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

test123
Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #93
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

I give this thread a rating of...

0/10

Worst thread ever

I mean seriously you guys, arguing that stems from a supposed FB hacking?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #94
xXAll-ProXx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

stop turning ffr into a tumblr-fest it's really annoying.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #95
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by -zeroSKILL- View Post
If I get a "hint", I can still crack the hash, and do so in a much more timely manner.
aaf4c61ddcc5e8a2dabede0f3b482cd9aea9434d

This is a 5 letter word all in lower case. Also cracking a password isn't even hacking. If you really want to prove yourself grab FFR's hashes or hack into my server at castro.homelinux.com and crack my database.
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #96
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyokou View Post
I give this thread a rating of...

0/10

Worst thread ever

I mean seriously you guys, arguing that stems from a supposed FB hacking?

Have to say I agree with this lol
If you want to have a discussion about data security and encryption for the sake of discussing security, then I'm all for that. There are discussions in this thread that are worth having, but not in this thread.
Arguing about who is the l33te$t H@X0r because of your opinions on some supposed Facebook hacking is kinda weak lmao

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #97
Zon Fire
♎♏
FFR Veteran

I would like to see anonymous hack the entire internet
Old 10-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #98
vro
FFR Player

Welllll, I use Facebook a lot. If this did happen(though I'm not worried), I do refrain from putting anything too personal on Facebook, so even though I'd be thinking "wtf" if this happened, I wouldn't be too terribly freaked out. I highly doubt anything will happen though.

EDIT: On another note, when PSN was hacked, the guy did it because Sony kind of screwed him over, so he got revenge. These guys are just trying to be "badass 4channers herpderp." Anon hardly ever does anything serious, and whenever they have pulled something off, its usually been on an individual person or a small website community that nobody gives a crap about.

Last edited by vro; 10-15-2011 at 02:39 PM..
vro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #99
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

Quote:
aaf4c61ddcc5e8a2dabede0f3b482cd9aea9434d

This is a 5 letter word all in lower case. Also cracking a password isn't even hacking. If you really want to prove yourself grab FFR's hashes or hack into my server at castro.homelinux.com and crack my database.
hello

Quote:
Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #100
x_lambourghini_x
Nope. Chuck Testa.
FFR Veteran

If it's from Anon especially, then yeah I would say the thing is fake.

New tournament hopefully coming up in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned for more details.
x_lambourghini_x is offline   Reply With Quote