Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #121
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Best video game ever made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
I think the Halo series is one of the greatest games of all time. It has an amazing storyline, forge/custom games, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, and blah blah, blah blah.
I'm sorry, but I personally loved Halo for the story, same goes for Call of Duty. I cannot stand multiplayer on either of them. Don't get me wrong, they did multiplayer really well, but It's just not my thing. I only did multiplayer so I could get Master Chief's helmet.

Anyway, Halo's storyline is one of the three most memorable storylines for me. This, Tales of Symphonia, and Kingdom Hearts.

I'm gonna miss Bungie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #122
Sakish
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sakish Send a message via MSN to Sakish Send a message via Skype™ to Sakish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

Favorite side scroller is probably Mega Man X. I've beaten this game a million times. It's ****ing awesome.
This this this this, although im one of the better speedrunners on this game it's still as fun beating this game!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #123
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXAll-ProXx View Post
Command and Conquer Red Alert (Soviet Disk)

because I've been playing it for the past 10 years, and I'm 17.
So this. I died though, because my parents got a new computer and we can't get it to run on Vista and I can't mess with their computer settings enough to run it.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #124
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Megaman X took a huge nosedive after X3. X4 onward just... they don't play the same, feel the same, etc.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #125
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakish View Post
This this this this, although im one of the better speedrunners on this game it's still as fun beating this game!
Oooh, I love speed running this game! I can still sit down and play through it in less than 50 minutes. I'm pretty lazy and like to pick up the armor and the storm eagle and spark mandrill subtanks and fill them in the armadillo stage so I don't die in the spider or sigma fight. Can pretty easily get it down to 40 if I skip these but those battles are so risky since you can lose half your life in one hit >_>

The rest of the game is pretty easy to speed run, since most bosses can be easily beaten without taking damage. The only marginally risky stage is Boomer Kuwanger's, since I usually take some damage to get through the level faster, which makes fighting Boomer kind of annoying.

Quote:
Megaman X took a huge nosedive after X3. X4 onward just... they don't play the same, feel the same, etc.
I liked X4. It was different, but fun.

I haven't played the rest yet. I recently picked up megaman x collection, so I'm going to play 5 and 6 when I get a chance. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by Reach; 07-11-2011 at 08:51 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #126
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

IIRC the boomer stage has those huge turtle things that can be brunted through at the expense of health. Speedrunning X1 is a hell of a fun thing to do, though. I remember, as a kid, being genuinely scared of the first Sigma-stage spiderboss. It gets faster and faster as it loses health, and the battle becomes really fun and intense towards the end, but holy mother of god did I shit myself silly.

As for X4, it was the best of the X4+ gauntlet but I didn't like it as much as X1-X3. I will admit, though, Magma Dragoon = freaking awesome. X4 is a fine game by its own merits, but like you said, "it was different." At least for me, there's a certain "aura" X1-X3 possesses that I just don't get from the newer iterations. Perhaps it's just the difference in systems (SNES vs. PS). The graphics/sounds feel markedly un-Megaman-like to me past the SNES versions.

X5 onward though I can sincerely say are bad games, no matter how you slice them up. They're all pathetically easy (a caveat being, for instance, X6, but for the wrong reasons), and in some cases you don't even need to play all the bosses to beat the game (if you fire the cannon early or whatever and manage to land a lucky hit if the success % is adequately high). Secret items are totally put on the backburners -- they're much, much easier to find and acquire. The games are also needlessly complex with a lot more "features" to worry about, whereas in the past it was really a matter of weapons, armors, E-tanks, powerups, and heart tanks.

Don't even get me started on X6. That game is almost universally hated, and for good reason. Lots of cheap-bastard difficulty-inflators and ridiculously lmfao-worthy level designs (likely in response to the "too easy!" criticisms of X4-X5). The Nightmare system is a needless frustration that feels akin to the mechanics of IWBTG -- random things that come out of nowhere to make things difficult for no reason like randomly-dropping blocks and teleporting fireballs and bouts of screen-hiding darkness. And I hate the fact that things can be taken away permanently unless you reload your save. The bosses themselves are still really easy, and the final battles rank among some of the easiest in the series.

In general the games feel more cluttered as they progress past X3/X4, imo. They start to deviate from what works and they wind up venturing into new territories that don't seem to add much value. X1-X3 did a lot of things correctly (imo) and are memorable, solid games all the way through.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 07-11-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #127
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The Rockman X4 opening is pretty sweet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpF2x...eature=related

Rockman X3 ending is also awesome, compared to the standard SNES English X3 ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVrmA_2zHw

Hell yeah X1 ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGs4wGi63DA

As a kid, I shat bricks when I hit the after-credits Sigma scene

Last edited by Reincarnate; 07-11-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #128
colt.45
WASHED UP
FFR Veteran

I wouldn't even compare brawl to melee. I prefer brawl though.

Best game PROBABLY would have to be..

Kingdom Hearts (PS2) OR Twilight Princess (WII).

Please note: I have not played any other Zelda games. I know there will be disagreement on that but yeah. I loved the storyline, graphics, and gameplay. The only complaint is I wish they would have some sort of extra gameplay after you defeat Ganon.
colt.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #129
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt.45 View Post
I wouldn't even compare brawl to melee. I prefer brawl though.

Best game PROBABLY would have to be..

Kingdom Hearts (PS2) OR Twilight Princess (WII).

Please note: I have not played any other Zelda games. I know there will be disagreement on that but yeah. I loved the storyline, graphics, and gameplay. The only complaint is I wish they would have some sort of extra gameplay after you defeat Ganon.
If you liked Twilight Princess that much you should check out Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I prefer them over Twilight Princess.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #130
Sakish
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sakish Send a message via MSN to Sakish Send a message via Skype™ to Sakish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Oooh, I love speed running this game! I can still sit down and play through it in less than 50 minutes. I'm pretty lazy and like to pick up the armor and the storm eagle and spark mandrill subtanks and fill them in the armadillo stage so I don't die in the spider or sigma fight. Can pretty easily get it down to 40 if I skip these but those battles are so risky since you can lose half your life in one hit >_>

The rest of the game is pretty easy to speed run, since most bosses can be easily beaten without taking damage. The only marginally risky stage is Boomer Kuwanger's, since I usually take some damage to get through the level faster, which makes fighting Boomer kind of annoying.
Damn thats pretty fast, my best is around 45.
What i tend to do is to get the helmet in storm eagle level so i can get the buster upgrade in the flame mammoth level. Simply because on the first sigma stage there is nothing more smooth than using chameleon's ultra for invincibility, makes the jumping ALOT easier ;_;

Boomer kuwanger isnt that hard to go by without taking any damage considering missiles are homing plus hits him even when invisible.

My worst stage is BY FAR the Launch octopus level, holy crap.. Water levels tend to piss me off in general however this one has gay spikes that ****s up my time if im not cautious >_<
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #131
LJRoX
Banned

Boomer Kuwanger dies really fast though. There's a trick to killing him fast.
LJRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #132
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

launch octopus is a bitch to kill omg

never had problems with boomer though. isn't there a powerup that kills him faster or something?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #133
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yeah I hate the Launch Octopus stage because of those stupid submarines and the aqua dragon minibosses.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #134
Emithith
FFR Player

Poison you are evil. The hardest choice of my life is trying to decide a game that I have played that is best.

Final Fantasy 6 has always been my favourite for 9 years. I don't care if it's one of those games that stands in the shadow of the popular ones like FF10 and FF7. It's characters are just so awesome. I never cared much for FF7 compared to this one. (let's not start a dispute though.)

Oh! Starcraft. Starcraft for sure. I have been playing it forever and it still hasn't gotten old at all. I always find a new way to play on the same maps. It's a game that's easy to learn but hard to master. You can literally play it for years in a row and never get bored of it. It has one of the best replay values of any RTS out there.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #135
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

LoZ: Majora's Mask
LoZ: Link's Awakening
Pokemon Blue/Red
Super Smash Bros - the series
Trackmania - the series
Starcraft - UMS maps

In no order, except maybe MM.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #136
LJRoX
Banned

The reason why I didn't like X3 as much as X2 is because I can't double damage with my x-buster
LJRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #137
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakish View Post
Damn thats pretty fast, my best is around 45.
What i tend to do is to get the helmet in storm eagle level so i can get the buster upgrade in the flame mammoth level. Simply because on the first sigma stage there is nothing more smooth than using chameleon's ultra for invincibility, makes the jumping ALOT easier ;_;

Boomer kuwanger isnt that hard to go by without taking any damage considering missiles are homing plus hits him even when invisible.

My worst stage is BY FAR the Launch octopus level, holy crap.. Water levels tend to piss me off in general however this one has gay spikes that ****s up my time if im not cautious >_<
I suppose that's a viable strategy, but I definitely skip the helmet and buster upgrade in exchange for the armor. The only piss off is the armor takes the longest to get, but it helps a lot.

I don't know what order you do the bosses in, but the fastest order is: Chill Penguin -> *Boomer Kuwanger* -> Sting -> Storm -> Flame -> Spark -> Armor -> Launch. Doing it this way will save you a couple of minutes.

But it means I'm doing Boomer Kuwanger with the x buster, which is why it's an annoying stage in the run. I'm usually low health when I get to him, unless I get lucky and pick up some life. It's very easy to beat him quickly with the x-buster.

It actually doesn't take any longer than with powers, which is why you do him second, since it'll help in other stages and it allows you to get Storm Eagle's power faster, which makes certain levels WAY faster (Spark Mandrill's stage, for example, is like 2 minutes faster. Launch Octopus's stage is way faster too). The only problem is because Boomer disappears and reappears a bit randomly, you can accidentally take a hit, which does quite a bit of damage. I've had to restart the run a bunch of times because of this >_> Usually though, you can do a bit of a air dash jump trick to fake him into reappearing in the corners every time, which makes it cake.

I usually don't have any problems with Launch octopus, actually. His stage is so much easier with the wind power. Killing him is a bit annoying, but if you have the armor you can just stand there and take the hits and he'll die before you do. If you don't have the armor, you'll have to dodge him a bit.

I've beaten it in 40 minutes maybe twice, and it involves skipping all upgrades and tanks, and hoping you don't die lol. I can reliably do it in about 50 minutes every time though.

As for Sigma's stage, just make sure you're using Storm Eagle's power. It pretty much 1 shot kills everything, in every stage, so you don't need to take any damage. The only piss off is the spider boss. There's no reliable way of damaging him other than by using the Ice charge, and it doesn't do much. If he hits you it does so much ****ing damage.

All of the other bosses die pretty easily and reliably, other than final Sigma. He's still pretty easy. The only pain in the ass is if you get knocked off his hands, most of the stuff that can hit you can kill you really easily and ruin your run ;_;

Quote:
In general the games feel more cluttered as they progress past X3/X4, imo. They start to deviate from what works and they wind up venturing into new territories that don't seem to add much value. X1-X3 did a lot of things correctly (imo) and are memorable, solid games all the way through.
I definitely don't think they should have messed with many of the core gameplay elements. I think there are a lot of ways they could have kept the series fresh without introducing things that changed the way you play the game.

It's sort of like, say, Donkey Kong Country. You just don't mess with the formula. The newest game in the series kept it fresh without changing the way the game plays at all.

Last edited by Reach; 07-12-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #138
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

What do you think the hardest MMX (any MMX game) boss is?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #139
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I agree with this. I liked X2 most. I liked Megaman 7 as well. I haven't really played many other Megaman games, but I have played Megaman Legends, and it was pretty nice but I never got around finishing it due to a faulty decade old PS and a PS2 that was old as well and lost its backwards compatibility.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #140
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
What do you think the hardest MMX (any MMX game) boss is?
Depends on the conditions. A lot of bosses can be made pretty easy with the right gear and special moves.

Without using any powers, hearts and without any special armors (So fighting bare bones), the hardest boss I've fought (X1 through X4) is probably Sigma from X3. This fight is actually harder using the X buster upgrade, so if you're going to do it without powers you might as well not upgrade your arm. The problem is, it's very hard to actually hit him with your x buster, and the upgrade makes this worse. Combined with the fact that his projectiles can be hard to predict and he'll kill you in like 2 hits, it's pretty ****ing annoying.

It certainly can't be Sigma from X2; it's a tough fight, but you can heal yourself pretty regularly, so he's not a huge threat. X1 Sigma is hard using only the X buster and no upgrades for sure, and is probably the second hardest boss, but he's a bit more predictable IMO.

The hardest regular boss? Hmm. So hard to say. Bare bones again, it probably is Launch Octopus from X1, Centipede from X2 (Though, to be fair, they're all easy), Blast Hornet from X3 and Jet Stingray from X4.

Last edited by Reach; 07-12-2011 at 12:45 PM..