Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #101
cixOclock
FFR Player

Default Re: 11 Things the Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
EDIT: One of the top rated comments for The Known Universe is pretty funny: "With any religion, let's put this into perspective: It's like saying God just built the entire USA all by himself in 6 days. Once done, he took out a microscope and looked at a small speck of dirt in an arbitrary spot in some arbitrary town. He says "This is a ****ing awesome speck I made! I will devote all my efforts into this speck, the rest of all this land can just do what it wants.""

You're putting human limits on something that no one really understands.

Lets think about this from a distance, if there is a being of such magnitude and power that could virtually create everything from nothing, how can you put a limit on its power?

Same with the illustration of the scientists going to God and saying: "Well God, we know how you created man, we know how you changed the dirt into life."
God looks down upon the scientists and speaks: "Really? This is fascinating, show me."
And then the scientists went and gathered dirt together when God stopped them and said: "What are you doing? Get your own dirt."

Basically everyone makes the mistake of putting human limitations on something that basically has no limits. It does not run on batteries nor does it have a lack of knowledge.

So by saying that God can only view one thing is mute... God sees all and is in all. Nothing has come into creation but through the father...

This will be my only post in this thread... So have fun.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #102
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
Rubix, even if you aren't trying to convince or convert anyone, attacking them won't do anything besides lock them further into their beliefs and make everyone more hostile towards atheism/agnosticism. I guess I'm OK with that attitude towards religions as a whole and religious organizations, but I do think you should be more tolerant of personal beliefs (edit: the benign ones, though you may disagree on whether they exist or not. Not the personal beliefs of, say, a WBC member).

I mean really, it takes like, zero effort to not be mean to people in a text-based debate (edit: okay, i just checked my facebook feed and maybe 'zero effort' is a little on low side), and the benefits of doing so can be pretty substantial on both ends.

brb finishing those vids i only watched about half of them before writing this but I loved the NDT - Universe one the most bestest
I wish more people had this burned into their retinas or at least had it pop up whenever they tried to submit something online
I agree -- in real life. On the internet, it's a different story.

On a completely honest note, I don't think many religious people are stupid. I do think, however, they most (if not all) of them are ignorant. But again, education is the best way to resolve the problem. I don't have a single ounce of respect for religious beliefs and think it's a toxin that will eventually need to be wiped out and relegated to the mythology textbooks.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #103
xObserveRx
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to xObserveRx Send a message via MSN to xObserveRx

I smell fish... anyone else smell fish?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #104
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
without religion internet forums would be boring
Without internet forums, religion would be boring.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #105
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixOclock View Post
stuff
I believe the point of that comment is to illustrate how odd it is that although the universe is ridiculously large, Earth is the only speck that God seems to have put any work into. Not to question the omnipotence of a God.

e: i need to start quoting posts I'm replying to.

Last edited by MrGiggles; 05-27-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #106
Aldentron
Forum User

Send a message via Skype™ to Aldentron

Quote:
I have a hard time seeing why anyone who isn't ignorant of the situation could possibly argue that we need to be more respectful to religion.
And that is your problem, acting as though religion can be respected or disrespected. It is a thing, not a person. I am merely standing up for PEOPLE, because I believe in humanity, no matter it's belief.
i remember a time when he wuz kewl

like... wut
Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #107
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
You're putting human limits on something that no one really understands.

Lets think about this from a distance, if there is a being of such magnitude and power that could virtually create everything from nothing, how can you put a limit on its power?

Same with the illustration of the scientists going to God and saying: "Well God, we know how you created man, we know how you changed the dirt into life."
God looks down upon the scientists and speaks: "Really? This is fascinating, show me."
And then the scientists went and gathered dirt together when God stopped them and said: "What are you doing? Get your own dirt."

Basically everyone makes the mistake of putting human limitations on something that basically has no limits. It does not run on batteries nor does it have a lack of knowledge.

So by saying that God can only view one thing is mute... God sees all and is in all. Nothing has come into creation but through the father...

No, the quote is meant to bring light to the fact that our universe is so massively large, rich, and diverse -- it seems like quite an illogical leap of anthropomorphic arrogance to think that our tiny speck is the main scene of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldentron View Post
And that is your problem, acting as though religion can be respected or disrespected. It is a thing, not a person. I am merely standing up for PEOPLE, because I believe in humanity, no matter it's belief.
Yes, religion can be disrespected, as it should be.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #108
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans0n View Post
/lock
you know this is against the rules right?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #109
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

ruh roh
Old 05-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #110
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

Quote:

thank you

and rushy nobody cares my name is yellow now. deal with it broski

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #111
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Why am I obligated to make an effort to convince/convert someone? That's damn near impossible to do.

As for people taking things seriously, but there's no way to have a serious debate with someone who is literally operating outside of logic. It's why Dawkins doesn't debate Creationists anymore. You give them credence by agreeing to debate in the first place, and, as the famous quote says, it's like playing Chess with a pigeon who shits on the board, knocks over all the pieces, and then flocks home to claim victory. What if a biologist agreed to get into a discussion with an advocate of the Stork Theory? Or a geologist versus a Flat-Earther? Are we really supposed to take crackpot claims seriously, as you're implying? These are not beliefs we should respect, validate, or take seriously -- especially when they cause harm.

There's a certain point where you have to put your foot down. To take the opposing side "seriously" is literally appealing to nonsense -- it's intentionally giving weight to demonstrably false claims and outright crazy logical absurdities. Even by giving it respect when debating otherwise harmless theists, you propagate a meme that faith is OK. That concept is the very core of the greatest weapon of destructive religious backing.

As for calling people retarded -- I completely agree, don't get me wrong. But this is the Internet which is srs bsns rite.
Rubix,

I am only going to post once because you obviously aren't going to change your believes about this subject, and that's fine--I have no desire to change them. However, I do think the way you approach the whole subject of religion is incredibly shallow and rude.

Explain to me how believing that the vast, complex, and incredibly well designed Earth we live on could not be created by God (or higher power, or whatever term you choose). I think we can all agree that nature itself is absolutely remarkable, as is the whole concept of human life in general. That being said, what evidence do we have that this all wasn't created by God? Zero. (and I know you will then counter with "well what evidence do we have that giant monkeys, etc., don't rule the universe?).

Religion isn't made up. It is more than just a gimmick or a game. Religion, specifically mine (Christianity), is a relationship with God. I believe God created everything we see and that he seeks to know his creation. How does this make me any more ignorant than you? I am not claiming that evolution didn't happen-- I personally believe that is the mechanism God used to bring about life. But to describe me (and others) as ignorant for believing that shows me your insecurities more than anything. You have every right to believe that there is no god just as I have every right to believe there is one. You have plenty of evidence for your belief just as I have plenty of evidence for mine, most notably the personal connection I feel with God.

It baffles me that you have the audacity to suggest "eliminating religion" through education. That is no better than me suggesting we "eliminate atheism" by requiring religion to be taught in all schools.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #112
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

oh dear lord
Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #113
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
oh dear lord
Figures that is the response I would get.

Continue on in your simple-minded existence. For someone so clearly intelligent and gifted, I figured you would at least be respectful and tolerant of other people's beliefs.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #114
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

nice try with the trolling
Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #115
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Looks like a copy paste... -_-;
Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #116
bballa48
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
nice try with the trolling
Fine, dismiss it as trolling without addressing the rather simple points I brought up. I simply am looking for respect and recognition that you don't have all the answers and maybe, just maybe, there is a higher power out there that does. But you refuse to even allow that as a possibility and instead are insisting that we "reeducate" (i.e. convert to YOUR beliefs) the entire world.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #117
cixOclock
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballa48 View Post
Figures that is the response I would get.

Continue on in your simple-minded existence. For someone so clearly intelligent and gifted, I figured you would at least be respectful and tolerant of other people's beliefs.
You say to share respect for your beliefs, but you feel the need to treat him like an idiot?

Treat others like you want to be treated... Thats all...

(2nd Post, I lied...)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #118
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Rubix, I don't understand the universe, therefore god did it.
What a terrible arguement.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #119
XDark_PrinceX
God Of Random Misses
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to XDark_PrinceX Send a message via Skype™ to XDark_PrinceX

LOLZ OMFG yeah sounds like catholism listen to your priest give him your money and make him rich so he has the power to control more people to get richer. religion is just a system of heirarchy like feudalism.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #120
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Fine, dismiss it as trolling without addressing the rather simple points I brought up. I simply am looking for respect and recognition that you don't have all the answers and maybe, just maybe, there is a higher power out there that does. But you refuse to even allow that as a possibility and instead are insisting that we "reeducate" (i.e. convert to YOUR beliefs) the entire world.
That's the cool thing about science -- it will never force you to "believe" anything. What's true for me is true for you and true for everyone else.

And so on this note, let me tell you that we already know how our Earth was formed, how long ago it happened, how evolution works, etc. We can see the same accretion processes happening all over the universe. Our planet is no different.
Closed Thread