Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
IAAW
FFR Player

Default Vindictus

NOTICE: Token system to be removed permanently. Karok to arrive to NA Vindictus June 15th.

http://vindictus.nexon.net

Vindictus is a 3D action MMORPG taking place in the Mabinogi universe, and is designed to be a prequel to Mabinogi as a whole. The story of Vindictus revolves around a civilization seeking Erinn, a land of paradise; it is said that in order to reach Erinn, the civilization must defeat the fomors. Long story short, you are part of a civilization seeking to reach Erinn and you must kill lots and lots of monsters (AKA fomors) to do so. Vindictus plays a lot like Monster Hunter; you must fight through various waves of monsters in instanced dungeons, and then defeat a boss at the end of each instanced dungeon. Outside of simply running instanced dungeons, there are other things you can do, including fishing and crafting your own items using expertise skills.

The characters in Vindictus are class-based. They are gender-locked, and as of such to play a specific class you must accept the fact that you'll either be male or female, whether you like it or not. At any rate, there are currently three implemented characters in Vindictus, with two planned characters (Karok and Kai) on the way.

---

Fiona: Female warrior utilizing a sword and shield. Fiona can use her shield to block attacks, and can later on choose to swap her sword out for a hammer for stronger, albeit slower, attacks.

Lann: Male warrior utilizing two swords, dual-wielded at the same time. Lann can utilize his dual-wielding swords to dish out fast attacks at the expense of not being able to defend himself other than dodging attacks. Lann can later on trade in his swords for spears, allowing access to different, spear-only skills and slightly stronger/slower attacks.

Evie: Female magician who can use spells in combat. Casts various spells using a special in-game mechanic to cast various spells depending on how long she charges a spell. Spells vary from a firebolt spell to a fully charged blast of magic missiles and whatnot. Can also utilize alchemy boxes for more advanced spells, and can ditch her staff for a scythe for the more melee-inclined.

Karok: Male warrior who utilizes pillars as his weapon. Karok is large, muscular, and very strong; because of this Karok is capable of grappling monsters, and being able to counter some boss attacks, and is also capable of dishing out massive amounts of damage in various ways. Karok's perks include being able to rip wisps apart, breaking the backs of vampires, and overall being quite the badass. As noted before, Karok can counteract some of the attacks of some bosses, allowing him to latch onto a boss Mortal Kombat-style; a mashing of buttons determine whether or not Karok will succeed, or fail, in the counterattack. Karok also is capable of throwing his pillar and switching to his fisticuffs as neccessary. Secondary weapon is currently in development and is currently being planned to either be a hammer/flail or knuckles (i.e., brass knuckles).

Kai: Unimplemented character. All that is known about Kai is that he/she is going to be an archer and will attack enemies from afar.

---

Vindictus is split into two servers; West and East. I have no intent of keeping a list of people who are playing on each server, but if people want it enough they can PM me and I'll put them up whenever.

Last edited by IAAW; 06-1-2011 at 11:27 PM..
IAAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Vindictus

Already capped to 26, bunch of A ranks etc. - will have Savage chest/helm by tomorrow.

I'll add you if you play, looking for people who are getting into it
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
IAAW
FFR Player

Not really looking to be all that active, but my Lann is named Infected and it's on the East server. If Evy is available with the release of Open Beta I'll be playing as her; don't know what name I'll be giving her.

FYI: I'm going to be casual when it comes to Vindictus, won't be a serious and/or hardcore player.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Evie isn't coming out in time for OB. I suspect she won't be out for some time (probably not until the release of boat 4 or 5).

I don't expect many people to play it a lot, considering it's mostly a PVE game with a limited CTF PVP and only 3 classes.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
IAAW
FFR Player

Meh, you never know for sure, but it is possible that Evy won't make it into Open Beta right away. Also, there's more two more classes in development at this moment in time, so sooner or later Vindictus will be a PVE game with CTF PVP and five classes. (And fishing.)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
E-Hooker
FFR Player

I got Early Access OB, played for a few hours due to my netbook not having high enough specs and having to use the family computer.

I definitely liked it, it was appropriately challenging [was playing as Fiona] and the graphics were nice. My only two complaints is the lack of customization for the character [it seemed like a lot, but I didn't find anything that really appealed to me], and the camera is pretty awkward when it comes to attacking and whatnot.

All in all, certainly worth playing.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Hooker View Post
I got Early Access OB, played for a few hours due to my netbook not having high enough specs and having to use the family computer.

I definitely liked it, it was appropriately challenging [was playing as Fiona] and the graphics were nice. My only two complaints is the lack of customization for the character [it seemed like a lot, but I didn't find anything that really appealed to me], and the camera is pretty awkward when it comes to attacking and whatnot.

All in all, certainly worth playing.
Armour dying isn't available, nor were CS items. Fiona doesn't get plate armour 'til much later so there isn't going to be much variety right now.

As for challenge, the only hard things I've done so far were the oaths to solo Chief and Tyrant. The game is fun, but by no means very hard right now. Maybe when Hero Mode rolls in
Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
E-Hooker
FFR Player

oh, i'm sorry, I meant like hairstyles and stuff. It didn't seem like the custom color chooser was working for me. I'm not fussy about the armor but I wish there was a disable helm viewer option.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
IAAW
FFR Player

Open Beta is now open; have fun patching the game. Tons of new stuff to test out, think I'm going to have fun custom-dying my armor and whatnot with in-game gold (according to what the update page says, anyway). There's also voice chat now (which I won't be using), and fishing. (Will likely make what I will like to call a "permarookie" alt (an alt that will not finish the final Battle Quest and unlock Boat 2, thus inducing token payments) for casual playing and for fishing if possible.)

Guilds can be made now; I won't be making a guild for FFR, but if one is made then I will consider joining it. But, just to note, not going to be the one who makes it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
IAAW
FFR Player

Bump for holiday event.

Kay', so the Fall Fear Festival event is ago, and there's a couple of events to participate in. There's also some special Halloween-themed clothing available in-game; some from the Avatar Shop, and one from completing the in-game events.

The first in-game event you can participate in unlocks after you complete the Battle Quest "Decisive Battle". You receive this quest from the Strange Traveler at the Inn of Colhen; this lovely little quest (called "Event: Pumpkin Candy") involves you happily going around the town of Colhen pestering the townspeople for candy (and demanding it, on top of that). I find this event amusing, and you may or may not find some of the NPCs' reactions to your demands for sweet pumpkin-y goodness amusing. You do this by using the Story keyword "Event: Pumpkin Candy" for each NPC. Some NPCs may not give you candy, though (example; Gallagher). And, once again, you can do this quest only after completing the "Decisive Battle" Battle Quest.

Once you have 15 candies you turn em' in to complete the quest. Do it once for a title, and do it once more for a Demon Horns Headband. You'll only be able to get 5 candies a day from NPCs, though, so you'll need to pester the townspeople repeatedly over the course of six days to get the headband. Sounds reasonable enough.

The second event quest (also obtained from the Strange Traveler at the Inn in Colhen) involves fighting pumpkin-masked monsters. There are two; the vampires in Ainle, and the wisps you'll find in Perilous Ruins and other areas. Once you defeat 30 of the monsters, turn in the quest for a title. I don't know if there's any other prize for doing the quest.

And that's it; demand candy and kick pumpkins. Sounds like something people do every Halloween. Event ends November 2nd.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

lol tokens
Old 10-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

Amazing game. They are fixing the token system thank god. Level 29 btw. Add me the names Sparticle.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #13
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurox View Post
Amazing game. They are fixing the token system thank god. Level 29 btw. Add me the names Sparticle.
Nexon NA said they would invite random people to their office on Monday who were lv20+ and in the area. This does not sound like it will solve anything at all.

I don't really care though. I'm already capped and just grinding AP, so maybe limiting my playtime will make me enjoy the game a bit more than just bear running all day.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
tofurox
Them arrows.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to tofurox

We'll just have to wait and see.

This sig has been enhanced by the FFR Staff for being too large. Thank you for participating.
tofurox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
IAAW
FFR Player

An alternative to the token system that I have been experimenting with is what I call a permarookie alt. The account is based on the info that I have learned that, for the duration of your time on Boat 1, you do not need to pay tokens or repair equipment. In other words, you could call the permarookie alt a permabeginner, just like those permabeginners in Maplestory that need not worry about non-beginner limitations and whatnot.

The permarookie alt works as follows;

- May only access Boat 1, up to the "Friends?" Battle Quest (the last quest before the final Battle Quest of Boat 1, "Revenge").
- Does not have to repair equipment or pay tokens due to not having access to any of the later boats, thus locking the character into a "permarookie", promoting no worries about having to repair the condition on equipment, and not having to pay tokens due to Boat 1 not requiring any tokens to play in.
- Still can have access to the "Decisive Battle" Battle Quest, allowing for Gnoll Chieftain grinding without penalty.

Leveling as a permarookie is, of course, slow. And, while you may not have access to further content on said permarookie, you can still maintain a main account to play with in terms of advancing through the story.

The only things I haven't tested with this build is if it is possible to do the "Revenge" Battle Quest and continue to remain as a permarookie alt. On the safe side, I'd suggest not doing "Revenge". Also, in the end, the permarookie alt may be a good asset for helping lower level players pass the "Decisive Battle" Battle Quest. Oh, and of course, permarookie alts need not care about condition on equipment, nor having to pay tokens. In other words, a permarookie alt can work as a good time-killer for those who cannot continue the story or play any further on their main account.

While this is a build that will probably never catch on, I like it, and I actually have fun with it, as I currently have a permarookie Fiona and a main Lann for story-advancing. The only other thing I have tested is seeing if equipment that is not from Boat 1 (even as a permarookie you can still level up, mainly from grinding Daily AP quests and from grinding the Gnoll Chieftain) can be not only equipped, but used without having to worry about the condition on the equipment in itself. Other than that, though, for what the permarookie alt can access, it might catch on for those who want to have a workaround for the token system, even if it means not being able to play any of the later boats on said account.

And that's pretty much the concept behind the permarookie alt experiment; the whole basis is on the fact that you don't have to pay tokens on Boat 1, neither do you need to worry about the condition on equipment, as condition on equipment doesn't start dropping until you reach Boat 2. Feel free to try it out for yourself and see if it's too your liking. To simplify, the pros and cons of being a permarookie alt are as follows;

[Pros]

+ Full access to Boat 1 up to the "Friends?" Battle Quest.
+ No need to pay tokens, as Boat 1 does not require tokens.
+ No need to repair condition on equipment, as condition does not drop until you reach Boat 2.
+ Able to fish, and will most likely be able to PVP once it is out.

[Cons]

- No access to Boat 2 or any boats afterwards.
- Boring and repetitive at times.
- No access to the "Revenge" Battle Quest, as completing the quest will result in the permarookie alt benefits being lost.
- Hard to level up, requires constant Gnoll Chieftain grinding.
- Not much access to other equipment outside of what you can make and purchase from the marketplace.

---

And that's the permarookie alt; feel free to try out the build if you like, and at the very least it'll be a good time-waster and a token/equipment condition workaround until something about the token system is done, IF something is done about it. (Even though I have no gripes over the token system as I am pretty much casual with Vindictus and have no desire to play the game 24/7 or constantly.)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAAW View Post
The only other thing I have tested is seeing if equipment that is not from Boat 1 (even as a permarookie you can still level up, mainly from grinding Daily AP quests and from grinding the Gnoll Chieftain) can be not only equipped, but used without having to worry about the condition on the equipment in itself.
You need both armour mastery and weight mastery to equip later sets. Considering that all AP from boat 1 can drop to 0 (due to not using tokens), you won't be able to use any of the later gear and any AP you get is from meditation.

You also lose out on extra skills (like Counterattack for Fiona)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Brycexx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brycexx

fun game at lvl 34 right now with my lann but prolly not gonna play again till evie is out
Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
IAAW
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
You need both armour mastery and weight mastery to equip later sets. Considering that all AP from boat 1 can drop to 0 (due to not using tokens), you won't be able to use any of the later gear and any AP you get is from meditation.

You also lose out on extra skills (like Counterattack for Fiona)
Yeah, those are the only downfalls. But, in the end, given the time and effort, it is possible for the most part, as you can still level up, and of course the meditation AP.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Played it about a week with my friend. We reached Level 11 with ease and decided it's just to monotonous for us.
Pretty fun for a while but too repetitive for us.
Might come back if more diverse content is established.
Also... too many unnecessary/obnoxious quests. Pretty sure we have about 20 quests in the quest helper.
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

The game is actually quite grindy, yes. I think I've played too many Korean MMOs; grinding is second nature to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAAW View Post
Yeah, those are the only downfalls. But, in the end, given the time and effort, it is possible for the most part, as you can still level up, and of course the meditation AP.
They're pretty big downfalls, but whatever works for you. I'd rather just ration my tokens and wait for resets.