Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

Default I'm sure this may be old news, but..

Anyone see this yet? What the ****? This absolutely makes me sick to my stomach.

Article:
http://www.huliq.com/8059/87650/nfl-...after-flu-shot
Quote:
The debate over how safe the flu shot is appears in the news several times a week. In general, there are more risks in getting the flu itself than there are in the vaccine. However, the news that NFL cheerleader, Desiree Jennings, now suffers from a neurological condition brought on by the flu shot is causing fear in many people.
Vid 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU5UimENyAg

Vid 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp5KUB7o3eg
Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Dr Tran
Banned

Default Re: I'm sure this may be old news, but..

was hearing about it this morning some ****
Dr Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
wickedawesomeful
Carls, Girls, & Drugs
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to wickedawesomeful

damn that sucks

completely ruined how hot she is
wickedawesomeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gj5_PFbVo

Never getting a flu shot, my mom got one when she was pregnant with my sister and almost died.

Last edited by NFD; 10-22-2009 at 01:52 AM..
NFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Wow, that really sucks.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD View Post

The exactly the video my girlfriend showed me earlier, rather than the real one. I watched about 5 seconds before I closed it. I love sick humor sometimes but this particular time wasn't necessary =\
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD View Post
I almost died
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I've never had a flu shot, and I've always been better off than those that have.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

I laughed so hard, call me heartless, but anytime something terrible happens to a cheerleader I silently cheer inside.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

Skipping a flu shot is out of the question since my mom is a severe Lupus patient, so I've been getting them for nearly 15 years now and I've never had a mishap, nor anyone else for that matter. Anyone wanting to spend time in our house at all (my girlfriend, my sister's boyfriend) and select family members have no choice but the get it or stay away for pretty much an entire 5 month period or so.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 AM   #11
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

It's called washing your hands and staying clean... y'all should try it sometime.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #12
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
I'm ignorant

I agree.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #13
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Wow do you even know what's IN a flu shot? If not, I am clearly not the ignorant one here, but feel free to debate me so I can slap a DOMINATED to you.

The risks just aren't worth it imo. I've been able to stay healthier through other means.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

Location: It's grossly inappropriate and borderline bannable. --Guido
Send a message via AIM to -zeroSKILL-

Gonna have to agree with Rubix on this one... Though the risks are tiny, so are the chances of catching the flu if you know how to stay clean. But it's not due to anything actually in the flu shot that bothers me really.

Well, I should say anything that's *supposed* to be in the shot doesn't bother me. But if the shot were somehow contaminated or not thoroughly inspected, etc before being shipped it could potentially be fatal.

Now, something like the HIV vaccine, that's a vaccine I'd be willing to take a chance and receive. Red Project anyone? Not Red Tie Project or any other similar sounding thing... there actually were 3 vaccines being developed in 97~98. Only one I ever got any info on was the Red Project. Vaccine worked. Got shut down cause it would've put so many pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars in debt because of the money they already had invested or currently were investing into the production of new methods to treat HIV positive patients. No money in curing them or preventing others from getting the virus.

Anyway,
Quote:
Wow do you even know what's IN a flu shot? If not, I am clearly not the ignorant one here, but feel free to debate me so I can slap a DOMINATED to you.
DOMINATE me. Please?

EDIT:
oh, and here's a couple sources to get some general information

http://www.novaccine.com/specific-va...ne.asp?v_id=16

http://www.novaccine.com/vaccine-ing...ults.asp?sc=34

and here's one of the many reasons I'm avoiding the swine flu vaccine in particular
Quote:
"I have many concerns about the swine flu vaccine that we have been hearing so much about in the media. Parents and the public are not being given balanced information. The swine flu vaccine is not being adequately tested. It is being fast-tracked and not subject to the usual Food and Drug Administration standards required of most vaccines. Many doses of the swine flu vaccine will contain thimerosal, a mercury-containing organic compound that is 50 times more toxic than mercury itself. Mercury is a known neurotoxin and does not belong in our vaccines."

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddychuck@yahoo.com View Post
God is a ******. Go away Jesus freak and read the bible --->

Last edited by -zeroSKILL-; 10-22-2009 at 02:53 AM..
-zeroSKILL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #15
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

Quote:

The risks just aren't worth it imo. I've been able to stay healthier through other means.

I don't get sick, but I know that just because I might not catch the flu, I'll obviously be able to pass it on, which is the whole point. It's recommended precaution, basic prevention.. whatever you like to call it. Anyone wanting to visit or be in our house on a daily or weekly basis need to have it and there's no exceptions. Anything and everything is a potential risk and by accepting the flu shot we all make it a lot easier keeping her safe from being rushed into the emergency for every little cold or bug she catches. It's really not that hard to understand. My dad caught a bit of a cold, he got over it in a week. My mom obviously didn't expect him to be sick before the winter so soon but it happens, she got sick shortly after and it went from runny nose and sore throat, then it was incredibly unbearable and caused a weeks of insomnia, then turned to vomiting uncontrollably day and night, then when things couldn't get any worse, diarrhea kicks in, which led to her losing 20 pounds in a week. She's been back and forth in the hospital for the last two weeks undergoing tests and what not to find out what it is, nothing so far explains it. It's about a month this is ongoing now, she's replaced 2 of the 20 pounds lost over a month ago. Either way you look at it whether you think the flu shot matters or not, we wouldn't consider taking the chance when our little coughs or runny noses becomes her pneumonia or hospitalization for [insert just about anything here].

tl;dr version

If you think it's as easy as washing our hands to keep her from being sick, you're incredibly ignorant.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #16
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

We went from some cheerleader with a cool new walk, to personal beliefs on how best to avoid getting the flu, to preventing others from getting it, and someone got mad because someone else didn't pick up on what they thought they made obvious.

Cool.

Anyway... yes, your mother is at risk for catching just about any airborne disease or virus that happens to blow through an open window. But washing your hands and maintaining a sterile environment is a huge step in preventing the spread/transmission of diseases etc.

And all I was getting at is that the manner in which they are preparing this particular batch of vaccines isn't exactly up too par with past batches, and it worries me. The world is in such a silent panic over such a common epidemic that they are rushing along something that is utterly retarded to rush.

The chances of catching something FROM a vaccination this year are probably higher than most prior vaccinations. I'll take my chances against the flu, rather than potentially subject myself to direct injection of some mystery disease.

Edit:
I'll just throw this in here even though I've mentioned elsewhere. I'm currently going to school for Pharmacology and recently started volunteering at the Naval Medical Center San Diego in Balboa. I have a Pharmacist for an Aunt, and a Pharmacy Technician for a cousin. I have a good grasp on the medical field. Also, having prepared TPNs and syringes myself, I know exactly how batches like this are prepared and what aseptic technique is (sterile preparation). It's *REALLY* not something you should rush...

Quote:

Last edited by -zeroSKILL-; 10-22-2009 at 03:23 AM..
Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 AM   #17
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Again I am almost certain Fallen has no idea what he's talking about -- he dodged my question pretty blatantly. He has no idea what he's putting in his body, lol.

It's a simple comparison of expected values and risk aversions -- there are simply too many unknown probabilities that nobody (including the FDA) can accurately assess. What we do know is that there's a lack of significance in many of the functions that are the supposed intention of typical flu vaccines. They may be good at blocking certain strains, but imo you're introducing potential toxins which have a much higher degree of certainty in terms of short term expected value compared to a smaller utility offset, so I mean hey -- if you want to call ignorance, then by all means, go ahead. I'll stick to the statistical implications and just keep things clean, and I'll probably be just fine. Not worth the risks.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #18
Dr Tran
Banned

fallen is willing to risk his life in order to keep his mother safe

i dont get whats so hard about that
Dr Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #19
-zeroSKILL-
Fuc Da Police
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
fallen is willing to risk his life in order to keep his mother safe

i dont get whats so hard about that
I understand he thinks he's doing that, and I'm not trying to knock him for it either. But he called ignorance after explaining why he got the shot... and I guess Rubix and I are the only ones who see the irony there T.T

He's not really protecting himself very well, nor his mother.

1) The vaccine batches themselves are at a higher risk for containing unknown bacteria/viruses.

2) Influenza strains become resistant to vaccines extremely quickly. It's very easy to catch a similar strain of the same virus... and not even know it because your body will fight it off on its own. But you'll still be carrying the virus.

3) Just as easy to bring the stuff home on your clothing or skin as it is to bring it in your body. The virus can lie dormant somewhere for a while before entering an environment where it can thrive and grow (eg the human body).

4) The best prevention is seriously washing your hands. Your hands go everywhere. We use them for virtually everything. From flushing a toilet to rubbing our eyes....

Too lazy to list more reasons getting the shot is pretty pointless.

And I already know you're just trying to take an extra precaution just to be on the safe side, yadda yadda. I'm just saying get a little more informed on something before you call someone ignorant.

edit:
before you pull some BS like calling me ignorant on what Lupus is or what kind of life they live... think again =.=

edit2:
also, this person was an alcoholic and was on Antabuse for a long while to keep her from drinking. Not gonna bother with the details of Antabuse... just know it's double the fun.

Quote:

Last edited by -zeroSKILL-; 10-22-2009 at 03:50 AM..