1.5 on anything higher
C400 on stepmania
KaBlammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
HonMelCal-spread-
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Help me improve?

I'll let you know as soon as I get the hang of jumpstream, lol.
______
_____
____
__
_
HonMelCal-spread- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #23
Nightfirecat
...back from the dead.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Nightfirecat

I'd say, use one speedmod for all songs. I'd suggest higher usually is better (1.5 in this case), because it helps to read individual notes in extremely fast songs. Also, this will help your consistency overall.

[My Profile] | [My Music] | [Play FFR] | [My Photobucket] | [My DeviantArt]

AAAs: 210 (186+7+17)
Best AAAs: Vertex BETA, Fighting for Control, Nova Pulser
Recent AAAs: {Firestorm}, Dazzling Destiny, Hellbeat v2p

2nd place in 3rd Official Tournament
1st place in Jugglin/Jteh's 1st Tournament
Nightfirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

I'd suggest doing slower songs with jump streams in them and try to PA them. Once you're good with the slower songs, move to faster/harder songs. That's what I did when I started getting serious at FFR and I just keep improving.

Also, if you're having a hard trouble reading the arrows, either increase your speedmod or take a screenshot of a tricky spot so you can analyze it.

Don't know if you mentioned it or not, but if you don't try playing spread. It makes jump streams MUCH easier. And for the record, I use 1.75 and I'm buying a subby so I can go between that and 2.0 (I don't remember the exact value, I think it's 1.85).

Last edited by Kibblre; 07-26-2009 at 07:29 PM..
Kibblre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #25
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
I'd suggest doing slower songs with jump streams in them and try to PA them. Once you're good with the slower songs, move to faster/harder songs. That's what I did when I started getting serious at FFR and I just keep improving.

Also, if you're having a hard trouble reading the arrows, either increase your speedmod or take a screenshot of a tricky spot so you can analyze it.

Don't know if you mentioned it or not, but if you don't try playing spread. It makes jump streams MUCH easier. And for the record, I use 1.75 and I'm buying a subby so I can go between that and 2.0 (I don't remember the exact value, I think it's 1.85).
Yeah I play spread.
D= Left
F= Down
J= Up
K= Right

At least I think that counts as spread. I am not really sure of any slow jumpstream songs, all FMOs seem to be super fast.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Work on playing 1.5x on all songs instead of just easy ones. From there, work your way up to 1.75x which is a good speed for FMO/FGO pwnage.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #27
HonMelCal-spread-
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Yeah, honestly you've just got to keep practicing. The transition from VC songs to FMO's are pretty big and even bigger for FMO to FGO (at least compared to other difficulties in the game). I'd give it months of serious training before you begin to notice a skill boost.
______
_____
____
__
_
HonMelCal-spread- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #28
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonMelCal-spread- View Post
Yeah, honestly you've just got to keep practicing. The transition from VC songs to FMO's are pretty big and even bigger for FMO to FGO (at least compared to other difficulties in the game). I'd give it months of serious training before you begin to notice a skill boost.
Months? .__.
That's a little discouraging.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #29
ice_lazer3
ICE ICE BABY
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBlammo View Post
Months? .__.
That's a little discouraging.
Well, it kinda depends on how often you play FFR. If you play often, you should notice some improvements about every week or so.

A tip on improving is to play songs that are a bit difficult for you (not sure exactly what difficulty that is for you, maybe 9s, 10s, and 11s) and keep playing different songs so you'll experience a variety of patterns. You can also play easier songs just for fun so you can get the FC or maybe AAA. If you want to improve on a certain pattern (e.g. jumpstream), play jumpstreamy songs, but don't play the same one over and over again or you might get mind blocks.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #30
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_lazer3
A tip on improving is to play songs that are a bit difficult for you (not sure exactly what difficulty that is for you, maybe 9s, 10s, and 11s) and keep playing different songs so you'll experience a variety of patterns. You can also play easier songs just for fun so you can get the FC or maybe AAA. If you want to improve on a certain pattern (e.g. jumpstream), play jumpstreamy songs, but don't play the same one over and over again or you might get mind blocks.
I still don't really get what the whole mind block thing is but everyone is saying it, please explain.

I've been playing a lot of StepMania songs today from Midare Megapack 2, but I always seem to get to parts where I either button mash or just stop playing and let it fail. I can't keep up with the arrows well enough at all. At this rate I don't feel like I'll be improving anytime soon. xP

Edit: 10s and 9s are easy for me but no where near AAAing any of them. Best I can do is a lucky FC. 11s and 12s hit hard.

Last edited by KaBlammo; 07-27-2009 at 02:08 AM..
Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 AM   #31
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBlammo View Post
I still don't really get what the whole mind block thing is but everyone is saying it, please explain.

I've been playing a lot of StepMania songs today from Midare Megapack 2, but I always seem to get to parts where I either button mash or just stop playing and let it fail. I can't keep up with the arrows well enough at all. At this rate I don't feel like I'll be improving anytime soon. xP

Edit: 10s and 9s are easy for me but no where near AAAing any of them. Best I can do is a lucky FC. 11s and 12s hit hard.

A mindblock or a mental block is the inability to either combo or AAA a certain section of a song because you've whored it to the point where you're almost too focused on it. You can usually get rid of them by taking breaks from the song. Also, if FC 10's are lucky for you, then I recommend you continue training on level 10 songs until you're at the point where you can FC almost consistently. While trying to get that point, get a feel for FMOs and FGOs, too.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #32
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMelonCalibrator View Post
A mindblock or a mental block is the inability to either combo or AAA a certain section of a song because you've whored it to the point where you're almost too focused on it. You can usually get rid of them by taking breaks from the song. Also, if FC 10's are lucky for you, then I recommend you continue training on level 10 songs until you're at the point where you can FC almost consistently. While trying to get that point, get a feel for FMOs and FGOs, too.
Man.. I still have a long ways to go. >.<
FCs are really hard to do.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #33
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I don't think that's a sufficient explanation, HoneyMelon.

A mindblock is a restraint on your skill caused by repeating bad habits(such as mashing) so many times that you develop muscle memory to that bad habit and trick yourself into thinking the only way to do well on the section is to repeat the previous bad habit. Muscle Memory is subconscious, but it's to thank for any success with FFR. My advice to you to prevent getting blocks is to not whore anything since you get frustrated and impatient and become willing to start said bad habits to try and do well on the trouble section. If you ever catch yourself thinking 'wow, I'm getting really bad at this section,' stop playing the song and move on to something else.

There is only one method I know to get over mental blocks and that is to close your right eye during the trouble section. Mental blocks generally develop out of one eye, so close an eye, if it doesn't work out, try the other eye, if that doesn't work, you've developed mental blocks out of both eyes due to 'megawhoring' and the best way to beat those is to mirror if you can, or wait 3 months and try again if you can't.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #34
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
I don't think that's a sufficient explanation, HoneyMelon.

A mindblock is a restraint on your skill caused by repeating bad habits(such as mashing) so many times that you develop muscle memory to that bad habit and trick yourself into thinking the only way to do well on the section is to repeat the previous bad habit. Muscle Memory is subconscious, but it's to thank for any success with FFR. My advice to you to prevent getting blocks is to not whore anything since you get frustrated and impatient and become willing to start said bad habits to try and do well on the trouble section. If you ever catch yourself thinking 'wow, I'm getting really bad at this section,' stop playing the song and move on to something else.

There is only one method I know to get over mental blocks and that is to close your right eye during the trouble section. Mental blocks generally develop out of one eye, so close an eye, if it doesn't work out, try the other eye, if that doesn't work, you've developed mental blocks out of both eyes due to 'megawhoring' and the best way to beat those is to mirror if you can, or wait 3 months and try again if you can't.
Oh okay. I understand now.
I'm sure there's several songs I've done that on, since I only played them for the longest time. I just don't get how people can read jumpstreams so well lol, I'm doing pretty horrible on difficulty 10 jumpstreams, let alone FMO or FGO.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
bubblechamber
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Try a bunch of low 9's for jumpstream reading practice. Etude To A Dragon is a good one, and so are Seven, Famouz, and most of the other songs you can use to get [Heavy]. Crowdpleaser is also pretty good, if you ignore the crazy trills in the middle.

Here's another thread asking for help with jumpstream, there's some helpful advice in it: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=110432
bubblechamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #36
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblechamber View Post
Try a bunch of low 9's for jumpstream reading practice. Etude To A Dragon is a good one, and so are Seven, Famouz, and most of the other songs you can use to get [Heavy]. Crowdpleaser is also pretty good, if you ignore the crazy trills in the middle.

Here's another thread asking for help with jumpstream, there's some helpful advice in it: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=110432
Yeah.. Tried those songs out and some on the other thread and that's what I need.
I don't get how I can do a stream no problem, but throw in jumps and it all blurs together. It's very frustrating.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #37
bubblechamber
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Most people have trouble with jumpstream. It's a lot harder to read, for some reason. You'll get better with practice.
bubblechamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

Kablammo, also try songs like {Frozen}, Randomness Reactor III, Yoshi's cookie, and Cosmic Orchestra. They'll help alot.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #39
KaBlammo
FFR Player

Whenever I play a song with jumpstreams my mind always goes right to mashing.
I try not to but then it gets jumbled up in my head and I miss all the steps @.@

( For instance http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...play/51793898/ )

Last edited by KaBlammo; 07-28-2009 at 01:10 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #40
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

I strongly suggest you use a speed mod of 1.75 or higher unless you're using some sort of screen cut with 1.50..
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。