Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > Brag Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default AAA training

I just got 100 total AAAs today! (I finally did Alpha Helix too. That song had been bugging me a lot - I've had a black flag for like two weeks and tried a few times almost every day, and since 1000+ people had gotten the AAA it was one of my worst songs on the level rank.)

I wouldn't say that 100 is THAT impressive by itself, but the interesting thing is that I think I'm learning to hit notes accurately in a way that I never really did when I was playing Stepmania. I'd always play songs that were relatively difficult (say 9+ in the FFR scale), so my goal was pretty much to get AA (or to pass in the case of much harder ones). But now that I've started spending time on FFR, I'm playing a lot of easier songs, and instead of just comboing the patterns I'm really focusing on hitting them accurately. It surprises me how much my attitude towards songs has changed - I'm paying more attention to reading irregular steps carefully, I'm listening to my arrow taps a lot more, and I'm having more fun playing slower songs. My PA is also a lot better than it was a month ago. I think this is a pretty interesting effect; has this happened to anyone else when they first started caring about AAAs?
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
CartoonHero94
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to CartoonHero94
Talking Re: AAA training

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
I just got 100 total AAAs today! (I finally did Alpha Helix too. That song had been bugging me a lot - I've had a black flag for like two weeks and tried a few times almost every day, and since 1000+ people had gotten the AAA it was one of my worst songs on the level rank.)

I wouldn't say that 100 is THAT impressive by itself, but the interesting thing is that I think I'm learning to hit notes accurately in a way that I never really did when I was playing Stepmania. I'd always play hard kind of songs, so my goal was pretty much to get AA (or to pass in the case of harder ones). But now that I've started spending time on FFR, I'm playing a lot of easier songs, and instead of just comboing the patterns I'm really focusing on hitting them accurately. It surprises me how much my attitude towards songs has changed - I'm paying more attention to reading irregular steps carefully, I'm listening to my arrow taps a lot more, and I'm having more fun playing slower songs. My PA is also a lot better than it was a month ago. I think this is a pretty interesting effect; has this happened to anyone else when they first started caring about AAAs?
Wow congrats!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Chauster
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Chauster
Default Re: AAA training

your logic makes no sense, stepmania was the time to play easy songs and go for AAA's to improve your MA

the only reason i see that you think FFR has improved your timing is because FFR timing is off and you want to whore AAA's to get known, if you had just played easier songs on stepmania your timing would be much better than it is now

congratulations on your 100th AAA nonetheless

Removed the image because it is more than double the 1MB limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
my god somebody needs to punch chauster in the throat
Chauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

as of right now i could care less about AAA's i still need to work on my PA >.<

EDIT: forgot to say congrats

CONGRATS
Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
CartoonHero94
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to CartoonHero94

BTW what's FC??? It's under AAA's on your profile

Last edited by CartoonHero94; 06-21-2008 at 03:11 AM..
CartoonHero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauster View Post
the only reason i see that you think FFR has improved your timing is because FFR timing is off and you want to whore AAA's to get known, if you had just played easier songs on stepmania your timing would be much better than it is now
It's true, but on Stepmania I never saw the point of AAA. I didn't (and don't) expect to be one of the best players, but if I have a choice between doing AAAs on very easy songs and passing hard songs, it's more interesting to me to pass the hard ones, especially since (in my opinion) hard songs are usually stepped more closely to the music, so I have more fun playing them. It always seemed to me that being able to pass or combo harder songs was a bigger step towards what the best players were doing (AAAing those songs, for instance) than being more and more accurate on easy songs. I think what's changed is not that I want to get known more now, but that the level rank system has encouraged me to try to do well at both easier and harder stepfiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauster View Post
stepmania was the time to play easy songs and go for AAA's to improve your MA
MA isn't very fun to improve if you are just playing with yourself

Last edited by qqwref; 06-21-2008 at 03:06 AM..
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote