Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
drakethelegend
FFR Player

Default Feel like I'm not getting any better...

Okadokie. So I've been playing for two or three months now (spread) and LOVE this game. I am trying to get better though, but i feel like i never will! i am fcing difficult songs but i can't do them all and am stuck on all the same songs. any advice on how to get better? should i only do FGO's and FMO's for a few days? My friend told me that will help, will it?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
NeoMasterPie
Forum User

Default Re: Feel like I'm not getting any better...

That should help. Do some VC songs too, though.

NeoMasterPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
llama499
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to llama499 Send a message via MSN to llama499 Send a message via Yahoo to llama499

see i had this problem too, but i had been playing on and off for about 2 years. then one day i got a bad concusion and now im way better haha. true story but playing harder songs should get you better. but dont play songs that u have to mash just to pass
Originally Posted by Adamaja456 View Post
hehe good thing your not in my division so i dont have to worry about you.
llama499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

I feel like I'm at the same point. But I practice lots every day, and it seems that, very slowly, I am still improving.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
omgitznpv
cohoooooon
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to omgitznpv Send a message via MSN to omgitznpv

play sm problem solved
omgitznpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Playing FMO's and FGO's won't help you. It will just force you to mash which is absolutely no good.

You need to play songs just above your skill level. Play some hard Very Difficults, and push yourself with a few Challenging songs.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
EDEdDNEdDYFaN
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitznpv View Post
play sm problem solved
I've improved my MA and speed vastly playing SM but now I can't pa in ffr halp plz.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
NnM
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDEdDNEdDYFaN View Post
I've improved my MA and speed vastly playing SM but now I can't pa in ffr halp plz.
i hate SM. FFR>SM
NnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Well yea playing the harder songs increases speed but not neceserally acuracy. I play a range of songs a day (when i do play), play some basic easy songs with a speed mod for acuaracy and play the harder songs for speed. That's my suggestion.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
FlavorMe
FFR Player

I always find that taking a break from the game for a week or so always helps me get over "mental blocks" I may have over a game.

But that's just me. I'm sure that people get over this sort of thing in different ways.
FlavorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #11
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorMe View Post
I always find that taking a break from the game for a week or so always helps me get over "mental blocks" I may have over a game.

But that's just me. I'm sure that people get over this sort of thing in different ways.
This helped for me as well. I could do FC difficult and had great problems with VD and up. Then I had exams at uni, and stopped playing for like a month, and now I can FC quite a lot of VD songs, and some Challenging.

Also, try speed mods like 1.25 or 1.5?
Magewout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
OmegaOrdoss
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

A Really quick way to temporarly increase in skill for me ecspecially for AAAs is to do a quick Body Weight Circuit workout.

Or the most simple way to do it would be, go in a wide open space and stretch for a minuite or 2, then do 20 squats, 2 stationary lunges 1 leg at a time, your max sit ups in 2 minuites, your max pushups continually, then simply jump up and down quickly, not very high, as if you where jump roping untill you feel that your heart rate is simular to that of a good speed run.
Take absolutely no rest between each exercise. 30-60 seconds between set, repeat as many times as you need.
OmegaOrdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
Emo_Saur_
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Emo_Saur_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDEdDNEdDYFaN View Post
That's pretty much what he's saying, it helps speed a TON. I used to not even be able to play songs like Alpha Helix untill I learned about SM and how to change speed mods on SM. It helps you read so many arrows so much faster. The PA problem, once you get good speed and reading, work on PA in FFR.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaOrdoss View Post
A Really quick way to temporarly increase in skill for me ecspecially for AAAs is to do a quick Body Weight Circuit workout.

Or the most simple way to do it would be, go in a wide open space and stretch for a minuite or 2, then do 20 squats, 2 stationary lunges 1 leg at a time, your max sit ups in 2 minuites, your max pushups continually, then simply jump up and down quickly, not very high, as if you where jump roping untill you feel that your heart rate is simular to that of a good speed run.
Take absolutely no rest between each exercise. 30-60 seconds between set, repeat as many times as you need.
Do tell me this is sarcasm...

Well ya speed mods help, breaks help, it may be useful for you to try 'mirroring' as well. I know for me I played a lot of songs that were slightly out of my range of comboing a couple times every session I played. Currently I've been working every day to play Lawn Wake and Sympathizer. Lawn Wake has been improving my skill with comboing streams greatly and Sympathizer has been getting my PA on jumpstreams and awkward patterns up. As an added bonus, whoring LW unlocked lolharp one day and soon I'm hoping for Symp to be my ONI unlock. Just set goals slightly beyond your reach and work once a session to achieve them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Redorigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
OmegaOrdoss
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

No no sarcasm
Go get your heartbeating
come back
You'll notice you are much more focused
Science is on my side here... dont make me quote research ^^
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #16
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GamerShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redorigami View Post
Do tell me this is sarcasm...

Well ya speed mods help, breaks help, it may be useful for you to try 'mirroring' as well. I know for me I played a lot of songs that were slightly out of my range of comboing a couple times every session I played. Currently I've been working every day to play Lawn Wake and Sympathizer. Lawn Wake has been improving my skill with comboing streams greatly and Sympathizer has been getting my PA on jumpstreams and awkward patterns up. As an added bonus, whoring LW unlocked lolharp one day and soon I'm hoping for Symp to be my ONI unlock. Just set goals slightly beyond your reach and work once a session to achieve them.
The only way this would help IMO is your blood flow would increase, allowing your brain to process more information, and thus, being able to play better than normal for a short period of time.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
knuckles2224
Angel Island ♥
FFR Veteran

Nah I'l whored B.B. Revenge and evolution and I Suck at both of them.. I can't combo them at all. But on SM I can almost FC them, you should either play Stepmania, or play some challenging or try a new speed mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrekusuof93 View Post
Knuckles you're just a rebel
knuckles2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #18
Tarrik
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tarrik Send a message via Skype™ to Tarrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakethelegend View Post
Okadokie. So I've been playing for two or three months now (spread) and LOVE this game. I am trying to get better though, but i feel like i never will! i am fcing difficult songs but i can't do them all and am stuck on all the same songs. any advice on how to get better? should i only do FGO's and FMO's for a few days? My friend told me that will help, will it?
Don't give up. When i was at your stage, i thought i wasn't getting better but didn't give up. I stuck through it and it's been a few months. I'm now on 20 AAA's (yes i phail) And 245 Fc's i think. With time comes skill, so just keep playing mate. Oh and play on 1.5x speed mod, then move up to 1.75x and eventually 2x, it will help enormously.

Good luck!

~Tarrik~
Tarrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
OmegaOrdoss
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Also
Not only to the brain, if you are strong enough doing pushups off your finger tips or just index/thumb get your hands and fingers so pumped and blood flow to the forearm goes through the roof. Plus it just feels really good
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
skishmonkey72
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to skishmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerShadow View Post
The only way this would help IMO is your blood flow would increase, allowing your brain to process more information, and thus, being able to play better than normal for a short period of time.
In theory, if you had someone massage your head or gently tug on your hair, it would help pull the blood in that direction. Heck, while we're talking about the science of it, eat healthy and get more sleep. But I'm assuming this isn't the direction you want to go. SOOOOO....

Right around where you were I had exactly the same problem. Out of curiosity, do you play one-handed? This seems to be a skill level where many one-handers are stuck for a while. I know I was. Try changing to a faster speed mod like 1.5 or 1.75, like everybody else was telling you. I know it really helped me when they came out with speed mods.

If everything else fails, take a break. Two weeks seems to work best, in my experience. I seem to find I always improve after a two-week break, especially with PA.

As for which songs to practice, do songs above your skill level, but not things like FMO's and FGO's. Do songs where you can get several combos of 20-50 or so. Generally these songs will be ones that are faster than normal or have awkward patterns or beats. Consequently, your speed and comprehension of arrows will improve. I agree that FMO and FGO songs will only get you to mash, which DESTROYS your PA and comboing abilities.

I have one more point. If you have one part of your skill which is bringing down the rest (ie: you can stream like nothing but you fail on the chains and jumps). For example, I'm horrible at jacks, and I'd like to be able to get larger combos on AIM Anthem, so I'm doing songs that mimic the jackhammer motion that I need to do jacks. I'm working myself from Dokudenpa, to Sympathizer, and then AIM Anthem. For trills, something like Max Forever. The list goes on.

But take my advice with a grain of salt. I play one-handed and improve slower, and also I don't have the experience many of these other people have. This is just what works for me. Hope it helps.

P.S. If you're wondering why I talk about myself improving when I can still only FC Challenging songs, it's because I often take breaks that last months, and I have to spend time catching up.