Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #2041
ducky285
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ducky285 Send a message via MSN to ducky285 Send a message via Yahoo to ducky285
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Started playing it this morning and played it for about 5 hours straight. REALLY fun game. I haven't had any complaints about it so far. Some of the little minigame-galaxies were somewhat annoying, but I have to admit they were pretty clever. A few of them reminded me of the fun little platformer stages in Sunshine that were easily the best parts of that game.

And I dunno about you guys but I have no problem hitting enemies with the spin. :P
Old 11-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #2042
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

What I do now is try to spin them, but jump immediately afterwards. This lets me spin again in mid-air.

And yeah Seth, I've died in Z&W loads of times. It sucks when they put a timed puzzle right at the very end of the stage after all your hard work and it kills you, but it's not frustrating at all. It's just like "well shucks".

How would I have known to grab my umbrella before trying to banish the demon from the treasure chest =(
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #2043
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Buy 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us.

Online.

Canceled my "pre-order" for SMG @ DD. Bought Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and the pre-order for Smash Bros Brawl for $112 after taxes and shipping. <3
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #2044
zidart
FFR Player

in galaxy it took me a while to get used to the gravity. jumping and using the spin-attack was a little hard for me in the first stage but then i picked up and now i don't miss a jump, the camera is not a problem for me either in fact i like it to be upside down.

well squeek i suffer the same problem as you, i had the bad idea of buying galaxy without finish zack and wiki first, (and some other DS and gamecube games what can i say school never lets me finish any game in time XD) and oh boy every time i woke up in the morning the same question goes to my mind "wich one i'm gonna play today?" and when i play one i feel guilty of not playing the other XD.

as far as wich one is better, i think mario galaxy is more fun than zack and wiki but it's gameplay style is one of my favorites (i love point and click games, phoenix wright for example), i just simply can't say wich one is better until i see the end of both (because we know that the last stage of any mario game is always awesome) and to tell you the truth i felt dissapointed too at the first star, but the game picked up after a while, now is one of my favorite 3D platformer (super smash bros 3 will always be the best for me xD)

and last but not least it turns out that galaxy did the impossible on gamerankings, it has a higher score than ocarina of time, (and it has a decent number of reviews), kinda shocking isn't it? now i think mario galaxy has an oportunity for game of the year

Last edited by zidart; 11-18-2007 at 01:03 AM..
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #2045
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcom View Post
Buy 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us.

Online.

Canceled my "pre-order" for SMG @ DD. Bought Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and the pre-order for Smash Bros Brawl for $112 after taxes and shipping. <3
Dang it. I already bought every good game on their list. Why didn't you tell me about this sooner? =/

For others:

Trauma Center 2
Zack and Wiki
Mario Galaxy
Smash
possibly Raving Rabbids 2
possibly Super Paper Mario

So you need to buy three of those.

Yeah, well, I paid $41 for Brawl, $41 for Trauma Center, and $44 for Galaxy. I'm not too bummed about that. Oh, and I got Guitar Hero 3 for $75. Can't beat that.

I guess I can let my friend know so he can take advantage of this sale =/

In other news.

I've discovered the way to circumvent my spin-attack problems.

Jump, then spin-attack, then ground pound. It's a homing attack.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #2046
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

^ Works well.

Man, the spring suit is, ah oh my god so hilarious.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 AM   #2047
Aleste
stating the obvious.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Aleste Send a message via MSN to Aleste

lol i just got through the toy time galaxy... it is funny.. but also a bit annoying with how the momentum works. you just can't be precise! but it was still fun. i haven't run into anything beside the lack of precision with the spring suit and swimming (lol shells) but even then the game is still loads of fun.

i finally reserved smash. Out of the games out for wii, what should i get next? is Z&W really worth the money? All i have currently is Warioware, Zelda, and Galaxy. in my defense, i haven't had money until very recently.. lol.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 AM   #2048
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's totally based on your preferences.

I don't know what you like, but all the recent games I've been interested in / have bought are:

Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Trauma Center 2
Zack & Wiki
Guitar Hero 3
Smash Bros
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

I use http://www.gametrailers.com/ for reviews and gameplay videos of games before I buy them. Pop in a search for any of these games and see what they say about it. They're usually unbiased, informative, and all-encompassing reviews.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #2049
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I think I'm done with Mario. (warning: bit of a rant ahead-- tldr version: gimmicky shake controls ruined it for me, and I ended up losing my cool because for some reason it wouldn't let me quit the stage)

I'm doing this stage where I'm on this 3 ball thing and this star guy is like "save me" but there is no way to do it, so I go over to this other planet and this weird guy is like "blow up trash for some reason ps im only giving you 30 seconds". And of course, the bob-ombs take like 7 seconds to blow up. And on top of this, I can't freaking aim them, because of the bull**** controls that make me have to ****ing shake the controller to throw (yeah because shaking makes more sense than pushing a button best ****ing throwing simulator ever SHHHHHHHAKE). Then, when I go to long jump, Mario decides it'll be a better idea to do a backflip even though I'm holding the control stick down. So I think "you know what? this stage is ****ing gay I'm going to quit it before I get super pissed off i have a few other stages i could be doing right now and i dont have to kill myself trying to do this over and over and over and over and everytime you fail you have to wait for that ****** to say whatever the **** he says and there is no way to skip it and there is no way to retry from inside the challenge so you have to wait until the time runs out if you **** up really bad early on" so I press the button which normally brings up the option of returning to the space station or whatever the **** that is. Nothing happens. I mash both buttons that do it. Nothing happens. So I figure "ok this is ****ed up i guess I'll just have to kill myself to go back" so I jump off the edge (because obviously, this large hemisphere has less mass than the small disks that the stage starts with). Then, instead of going back to the main area, it ****ing put my back on the 3 ball thing with the chomps. So I go "what the **** why in the hell would killing myself put my back in the middle of the stage" and I think "ok not a big deal i'll just press the + button and go back to the main area" but the **** didn't work AGAIN. So, naturally, I snapped and punched the **** out of the remote, then ripped the **** out of the cables on the wii. Perfectly reasonable response definitely.

Really, I was starting to enjoy it despite the stupid ass "shake the remote" controls, but no more. And like, there are some things where shaking is kind of a good idea and doesn't bother me at all. The star things and the things you spin to the top of, for example. But ****ing attacking and throwing is ****ing stupid. You don't ****ing throw something by shaking and you don't ****ing spin around in circles by shaking either. And the gimmicky minigame stage things weren't even terrible either, even though they were obviously just made the way they were to make use of the remote.

DEFINITELY nowhere near best platformer ever now FOR SURE. Gimmicky controls killed it for me. I don't know how you guys can stand it. I don't want to ****ing flick my wrist like that for no freaking reason.

Seriously, the weird gravity stuff has already been growing on me even though it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. I even was enjoying the star bits shooting and collecting. But that ****ing shaking ****. No.

ps why the **** is no one else bothered by mario's simplest attack being a ****ing tornado spin****. Why is no one else bothered by the lack of the simple functions of the B button from SM64?

pps why the hell are you losers reserving Brawl? I'm not going to and I am still confident that I'll be able to get a copy within days of its release.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #2050
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

wow dude, I finished that blowing up stuff thing in about 15 seconds. Its really easy to aim, maybe you just suck at it.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #2051
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoecool1991 View Post
wow dude, I finished that blowing up stuff thing in about 15 seconds. Its really easy to aim, maybe you just suck at it.
i agree and i think you have angry issues, this is one of the best platform games, and you are the first and only one that has complaints about gimmicks and difficulty. ( besides the spin attack is more accurate than the B attack of mario 64 )
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #2052
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The trash planet is optional. To get the guy out of the cage, you use a bob-omb that's on the top of one of the three orbs. If you use the bob-omb on another cage, you get a starman.

If you don't like the spin attack, just don't use it. Shoot star bits.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #2053
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoecool1991 View Post
Uh duh I suck at it, mostly thanks to not being able to do it the way I'd like to. If I could throw the bomb by pushing a button, I'd have the patience to sit down and work it out without getting pissed off.

Also: you're obviously lying/exaggerating because the blast radius is not large enough for you to blow them all up that fast due to how long it takes you to pick up bomb, throw bomb, and bomb to blow up as you continue the process by picking up another bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidart View Post
i agree and i think you have angry issues, this is one of the best platform games, and you are the first and only one that has complaints about gimmicks and difficulty. ( besides the spin attack is more accurate than the B attack of mario 64 )
Sorry, but since my anger was focused on the one thing that was causing me undue distress, and I have yet to displace any anger, I'd say I've dealt with the anger in a much healthier fashion than most would deal their anger. I'm not bottling things up, I'm not displacing my anger onto objects/people that do not deserve it, while at the same time, not truly damaging anything in a way that is not fixable (what like I don't know how to plug the cables back in?). Oh and I forgot, but I've taken to pulling punches, because I've had a habit of REALLY ****ing up my hand if I punch things (was previously the sturdy, carpeted floor, but now I play from within a desk chair rather than on the floor), so I instinctively pull my punches so I don't break my hand.

Also: "spin attack is more accurate than the B attack of mario 64" yeah because whenever I play SM64, I always go to press the B button and Mario just doesn't punch and other times I'll be trying to just walk around and he'll punch for no reason. Oh wait no... that's what happens with this shake induced spin attack. I also love how I can't do dives, slide kicks, jump kicks, and punch combos. It really makes me feel good to only have one attack.

Oh and difficulty? The only levels I've had any trouble with are the gimmick ones. This game is piss easy in every department that doesn't involve motion control.

And honestly, I find it difficult to believe I'm the ONLY PERSON EVER to be annoyed by the gimmicky controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
The trash planet is optional. To get the guy out of the cage, you use a bob-omb that's on the top of one of the three orbs. If you use the bob-omb on another cage, you get a starman.
There wasn't any bob-ombs on the planet there... is it possible to take the bombs through the star blaster things? I wasn't aware, but typically, things like that would make you drop an item if you happen to be holding one. And why the **** would they add a "blow **** up with a reasonless time limit" part of a stage if it doesn't even matter? Doesn't really matter though, since this game is dead to me. In fact, now that I think about it, beating the **** out of the disc would have been a more effective use of my rage than to go crazy on the remote and the console.

Quote:
If you don't like the spin attack, just don't use it. Shoot star bits.
Yeah no thanks, even if I were to keep playing this ****, shooting something then walking into it is just freaking stupid. Why play a Mario game that is more about my accuracy with a 3D mouse than about my platforming skills? Furthermore, I have come across more than a few enemies that simply have to be tornado**** attacked to be killed.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #2054
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You weren't looking hard enough. There is a bob-omb on that planet.

The trash planet is a bonus stage for a bonus star. It's designed to be difficult. Took me about 10 tries to get the timing right on the bombs. The trick is to chain bombs together so that they all explode at once.

Last edited by Squeek; 11-19-2007 at 01:21 PM..
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #2055
zidart
FFR Player

well afrobean you are the only one complaining about gimmick controls because actually they are very solid and easy to use.... and really why did you buy a wii if you didn't like motion controls???

well about the 64 having more than one simple attack.....well i think the spin attack is a good replacement to everything else, seriously the only thing i used in 64 was jumping and punching.

in other words if this games drives you mad because is frustrating to you, i can't imagine how you play other hard games (god of war for example)
Old 11-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #2056
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Afrobean probably feels similar to me about the Wii. Many of the games are just fantastic...or rather, could be, if the control system wasn't so cumbersome. That's the only real fault of the system for me: the fact that in an attempt for realism, completely off-the-wall and counterintuitive motion sensing is used. Shaking for a spin attack? I just don't see how that's logical; moving it in a circle would've at least made more sense.

And besides that, I just don't like it when how well you do in a game is determined by how much control you have over your controller, rather than how well you think and respond to situations. That's the same reason I don't particularly like the DS.

I originally thought the Wii's motion sensing would be used to supplement gameplay, not supplant it, which is why I bought one. I guarantee I won't be buying nearly as many Wii games as I've bought for other systems, because otherwise good games can be ruined by a control scheme I dislike. There will be some, however, that actually use the motion sensing in a way that feels comfortable to me, so those are the ones I'll get.

Nothing against those who like the motion sensing, but in my opinion, not attempting realism altogether is much better than attempting it and only getting a small fraction.

Personally, I'll probably be able to deal with the controls in Galaxy, as I plan to get it due to the stellar reviews it's been getting. I'd still use a GameCube controller if I could though...that's one of the best-designed controllers I've ever seen, second only to Sony's DualShock 2.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #2057
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You weren't looking hard enough. There is a bob-omb on that planet.
Yeah I guess I didn't want to spend all my time there running blindly around the tiny orbs, with chomps going wild. I took a quick look around and saw only that star blast thing so I assumed that's what I had to do. And well, up to that point, the stages guided me very well; if there was a path to take, I knew I needed to take that path to get to the star at the end.

Quote:
The trash planet is a bonus stage for a bonus star. It's designed to be difficult. Took me about 10 tries to get the timing right on the bombs. The trick is to chain bombs together so that they all explode at once.
Good thing that guy explains how to "chain bombs" and doesn't just say "hey blow up my garbage lol"-- OH WAIT

Quote:
well afrobean you are the only one complaining about gimmick controls because actually they are very solid and easy to use.... and really why did you buy a wii if you didn't like motion controls???
Easy to use if you were the type of person that would lift the NES controller to try to get Mario to jump in SMB. I never did that. Sorry, but moving my hands through space does not translate to 3rd person character control in my mind.

And I got the Wii because I was excited about the motion control when applied reasonably, like in WarioWare. I figured that games that didn't lend themselves well to accelerometer use would simply not use them during normal gameplay, but alas, I was mistaken. Also, I never had a Gamecube, so I was itching to get myself a means to play SSBM. Also, I was excited at the idea of Virtual Console, but admittedly, they still haven't released most of the games I was hoping they would. And I hadn't even originally planned on getting Galaxy, but since I had been warmed up to the idea in the days before its release, and when I stopped by Best Buy on a whim, they happened to have a ton in stock, so I just got it. If I knew now what I know now (that the only attack at Mario's disposal requires amorous shaking), I would have saved my money, or at the very least, picked up something that would make more effective use of the accelerometer (since apparently Nintendo has to use it in a game even if it doesn't fit the situation well).

Quote:
well about the 64 having more than one simple attack.....well i think the spin attack is a good replacement to everything else, seriously the only thing i used in 64 was jumping and punching.
I shouldn't have to suffer through gimped controls because the average player is a dunderhead who refuses to make full use of his character's moveset. It wouldn't have been hard for them to take the functions of the C button and put it on another button (+ and - sure seem to have the exact same function...), and put star shooting on the C button, then put the punch moveset from SM64 on the B trigger.

Quote:
in other words if this games drives you mad because is frustrating to you, i can't imagine how you play other hard games (god of war for example)
I don't play those types of games generally, but if I did, I'm sure I would fair at least somewhat well, assuming they don't have gimmicky controls.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #2058
zidart
FFR Player

don't worry relambrien, don't belive what this guy says....as many of the reviews already stated, mario galaxy doesn't abuse the wii remote, it uses it in many different ways that doesn't get you out of the actual gameplay. this game is a good combination of motions and gameplay, (like zelda, metroid and zack and wiki are)

well afrobean i just say that this game is divided in two parts, 60 star for casual gamers that want an easy games and another 60 stars that are hard to get, for hardcore gamers. if you don't like this game because you suck at it in the parts where it uses motions, well then you are just looking at this game from a superficial point, because the gameplay is (as every other mario game) just awesome, besides if the control is responsive then what is the problem??? i don't care if i shake to spin as long as i spin when i shake
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #2059
jakobsk8
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to jakobsk8
Thumbs down Re: The Wii is Here.

I cant beleive this thread is still going. send this one to the trash bin!
jakobsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #2060
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
I'm doing this stage where I'm on this 3 ball thing and this star guy is like "save me" but there is no way to do it
Hahahahah dude, I know you don't give up at every challenge and yea you might just not like the level. But there is a way to do it, it's not hard to work out either, the learning curve was like 5 minutes.

Quote:
so I go over to this other planet and this weird guy is like "blow up trash for some reason ps im only giving you 30 seconds". And of course, the bob-ombs take like 7 seconds to blow up. And on top of this, I can't freaking aim them, because of the bull**** controls that make me have to ****ing shake the controller to throw (yeah because shaking makes more sense than pushing a button best ****ing throwing simulator ever SHHHHHHHAKE).
You're meant to chain them, also, you have to aim to have the bomb land on the yellow dots on the floor, do it that way and you have like 10 seconds to spare. Shaking isn't hard, yea neither is pressing a button I agree but it's not bothersome. Also, shaking the controller has never thrown my aim off. I aim then shake. To me it is as simple as it sounds. I don't see how shaking the remote influences your other arm? You may not like that either and that's cool but I wouldn't say that it's something that spoils or gets in the way of the game.

Quote:
Then, when I go to long jump, Mario decides it'll be a better idea to do a backflip even though I'm holding the control stick down. So I think "you know what? this stage is ****ing gay I'm going to quit it before I get super pissed off
Lmao. I've had this happen once or twice I must say but I admit I know I wasn't doing it right.

Quote:
i have a few other stages i could be doing right now and i dont have to kill myself trying to do this over and over and over and over and everytime you fail you have to wait for that ****** to say whatever the **** he says and there is no way to skip it and there is no way to retry from inside the challenge so you have to wait until the time runs out if you **** up really bad early on" so I press the button which normally brings up the option of returning to the space station or whatever the **** that is. Nothing happens. I mash both buttons that do it. Nothing happens. So I figure "ok this is ****ed up i guess I'll just have to kill myself to go back" so I jump off the edge (because obviously, this large hemisphere has less mass than the small disks that the stage starts with). Then, instead of going back to the main area, it ****ing put my back on the 3 ball thing with the chomps. So I go "what the **** why in the hell would killing myself put my back in the middle of the stage" and I think "ok not a big deal i'll just press the + button and go back to the main area" but the **** didn't work AGAIN.
You don't have to kill yourself dude, but saying that, every time I've pressed plus I've had the option to go back to the observatory.

Quote:
So, naturally, I snapped and punched the **** out of the remote, then ripped the **** out of the cables on the wii. Perfectly reasonable response definitely.
Hahahaha. Dude wow. This may be why some buttons don't seem to work for you?

Quote:
Really, I was starting to enjoy it despite the stupid ass "shake the remote" controls, but no more. And like, there are some things where shaking is kind of a good idea and doesn't bother me at all. The star things and the things you spin to the top of, for example. But ****ing attacking and throwing is ****ing stupid. You don't ****ing throw something by shaking and you don't ****ing spin around in circles by shaking either. And the gimmicky minigame stage things weren't even terrible either, even though they were obviously just made the way they were to make use of the remote.
I loved some of the mini game galaxy's. Surfing was fun and the sweet factory was an awesome platformer lever and you got to love that music.

Quote:
DEFINITELY nowhere near best platformer ever now FOR SURE. Gimmicky controls killed it for me. I don't know how you guys can stand it. I don't want to ****ing flick my wrist like that for no freaking reason.
Well we have to. We know there's no other way. And we do it for a reason. If we didn't we would spin? Does that even makes sense? Made sense in my head anyway.

Quote:
Seriously, the weird gravity stuff has already been growing on me even though it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. I even was enjoying the star bits shooting and collecting. But that ****ing shaking ****. No.
You really can't get over the shake can you? Dude, it takes like half hour tops to get used to.

Quote:
ps why the **** is no one else bothered by mario's simplest attack being a ****ing tornado spin****. Why is no one else bothered by the lack of the simple functions of the B button from SM64?
Because the game works fine without it. I would like to have seen the B button attack but it's not there. Whatever.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote