Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
clashrocker7
FFR Player

Default Energy Drinks Bad?

I've gotten this from people because I drink them all the time. Some people say they're bad, some people are bold enough to tell me they'll kill me.

I think this is completly false.

I'm fourteen, and have been drinking 1 every morning for a year now. My health hasn't decreased at all. And I'm feeling no different than I did a year ago.

So what is so bad about these drinks?
clashrocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird
Default Re: Energy Drinks Bad?

Besides the massive amounts of sugar and caffeine, and the risk of diabetes, nothing.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
clashrocker7
FFR Player

I'm kinda slow when it comes to online sarcasm, so ummmmmmm...... was that sarcasm?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #4
Maid
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

You are under an addiction. Try not drinking them for even 1-2 days, you gonna get a massive withdrawal with big headache, irritability, leg cramps. Now decide if that's good for you or no.
Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
clashrocker7
FFR Player

No I'm actualy not. I went a month without them last month actualy, and I was fine.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Which energy drink?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
chunky_cheese
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I find this funny because their not even doing anything for you anymore, you merely think they are, and that's good enough to get you going. You see, you have most likely gained a fairly strong resistance to them now, and no longer get the caffeine effect anymore, but now that you think you do, it's still all the same.

It's all in your head.

I tried buying a flat of Redbull from a convenience store, but the guy said it wasn't tagged and I couldn't buy it, so I went and got two other energy drinks and he warned me about overdosing. Why wouldn't he warn me when I'm buying a freakin' FLAT of redbull?
chunky_cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashrocker7 View Post
My health hasn't decreased at all. And I'm feeling no different than I did a year ago.
So you've monitored all of your systems for a single year and have concluded that you have absolutely no negative repercussions?

It's extremely naive of you to think that.

You're not going to notice all the free radicals stripping your body of resources intended for healthy upkeep. You're not going to notice your body's reaction to a constant influx of those chemicals. You're not going to notice your body's diminished protein-processing capacity due to sugar saturation. You're not going to notice a lot of things, and just because you don't notice them doesn't mean they're not there.

Do some research on the negative effects of sugar- and caffeine-loaded drinks. Believe me, the studies are out there and they aren't lying to you. Then see how many of the effects are outwardly noticeable.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Believe me, even from the caffeine in Pepsi, when I finally stopped drinking it outright, I got terrible headaches, and couldn't sleep at all for about three days.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Believe me, even from the caffeine in Pepsi, when I finally stopped drinking it outright, I got terrible headaches, and couldn't sleep at all for about three days.
This is one of the reasons I used to be previously extremely averse to consuming anything with caffeine in it. Besides being unable to sleep, I would get bad headaches (which is ironic, considering that Excedrin, a medicine that treats headaches, contains caffeine).

Then about two years ago I started regularly going to a Wendy's restaurant near my school when I would have to stay for something after hours. I always got the same drink: root beer. As far as I knew, this root beer did not contain any caffeine, and nothing occurred to me that would have suggested it. It wasn't until a year later that I found out the brand of root beer there did in fact contain caffeine, and it had never affected me while I didn't know about it (at least not noticeably).

Now I don't have a problem with caffeine, having built up a tolerance to it unwittingly.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #11
Engler
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

If you drink too much caffeine, you'll grow a third arm.

But, since this is CT, I'm technically not allowed to joke around.

As for the question at hand, I tend to stay away from excessive amounts of caffeine/sugar. That isn't to say that I don't have a cup of coffee once and awhile, though. I honestly think that too much of anything can be bad for you.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
DeMoNpUpPeT
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to DeMoNpUpPeT Send a message via MSN to DeMoNpUpPeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky_cheese View Post
I find this funny because their not even doing anything for you anymore, you merely think they are, and that's good enough to get you going. You see, you have most likely gained a fairly strong resistance to them now, and no longer get the caffeine effect anymore, but now that you think you do, it's still all the same.

It's all in your head.

I tried buying a flat of Redbull from a convenience store, but the guy said it wasn't tagged and I couldn't buy it, so I went and got two other energy drinks and he warned me about overdosing. Why wouldn't he warn me when I'm buying a freakin' FLAT of redbull?
You ask what is really wrong with these energy drinks. Well just about everything.

I know someone that also drinks energy drinks very frequently.
And I noticed that when they don't have at least one, they feel tired and moody.

I truly believe that these energy drinks don't work at all, and especially if your immuned to it.

If there not healthy for you.. why drink them at all?
They don't work.They have no effect.

I agree " It's all in your head."
Sooner or later it will catch up to you.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Caffeine is a psychoactive substance. This is fact. If the energy drink contains caffeine, it has an effect. Granted, you can grow a tolerance for caffeine and become dependent, and no longer feel the effects but instead just feel really crappy when you don't have it.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashrocker7 View Post
I've gotten this from people because I drink them all the time. Some people say they're bad, some people are bold enough to tell me they'll kill me.

I think this is completely false.

I'm fourteen, and have been drinking 1 every morning for a year now. My health hasn't decreased at all. And I'm feeling no different than I did a year ago.

So what is so bad about these drinks?
Why keep drinking them if you feel no different =/

Too much of anything can be deadly but i dont think 1 can of an energy drink every morning is going to kill you. There are probably symptoms going on in your body that you don't know about. Just because it seems like your health hasn't decreased at all doesn't mean energy drinks are good for you.

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)
Adamaja456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
raindropsonmyhead
FFR Player

mmm very yummy, but, sorry to tell ya, theyre not the best thing to drink. : /

Andrea
raindropsonmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #16
xsarahxsx
FFR Player

i don't see whats wrong with drinking energy drinks everyday in the morning tbh as its not like your drinking loads per day which is bad for you.but then soon you won't be able to go a day without drinking energy drinks as your mind will be telling you that you have to drink it.

xsarahxsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
customstuff
♥C.S. + A.M.♥
FFR Veteran

I <3 Monsters! I don't see whats so bad about them, I think they're great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
Placements are final, custom will not be moved to D6, just because he is good at jacks, and mediocre at just about every other FMO in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
welcome to D6

start playing
customstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #18
angelofthedead
FFR Player

I love monster. They really give you a quick energy boost. I wake up at 5am for school every day, so it's helpful for those days I just can't get up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<----Use it. I am a member of T_SOB.
angelofthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #19
gardyloo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsarahxsx View Post
i don't see whats wrong with drinking energy drinks everyday in the morning tbh as its not like your drinking loads per day which is bad for you.but then soon you won't be able to go a day without drinking energy drinks as your mind will be telling you that you have to drink it.
Drinking an energy drink in the morning is just like drinking a few cups of coffee or any other caffeinated beverage. Caffeine, however, isn't the only thing in these drinks. The drink makers will claim that they have many "natural ingredients," which make the drink supposedly more healthy for you or give you that extra boost. Taurine, found in Red Bull, is still under dispute by the scientific community as to how exactly it works. While I haven't read any studies that have proved that taurine and caffeine have effects on cognitive performance, taurine plays a key role in modulating contractile functions of skeletal muscles. As it is produced naturally in the body, I'm sure that use over time will decrease your natural production and form a dependency on the drink. Caffeine dependency is a no brainer, I shouldn't have to tell you why drinking a caffeinated drink every morning is not beneficial. The idea that these caffeinated sugar pumped drinks are energy boosters, and that they will help with athletic performance, is not the smartest thing either. Caffeine is a diuretic, and sugar slows the absorbtion of water into the body- needless to say something you don't want to experience when you're exercising is dehydration, and these drinks (along with similar sodas) will do the same thing. Drink ingredients vary from product to product, but look out for any with ephedrine. In 1998 a man suffered a heart attack and permanent brain damage after drinking Ripped Force and then lifting weights. He sued the company and a jury declined to award him damages because the drink had a warning label that he ignored. You'll find that almost all energy drinks have a warning label of some kind. I've never seen a warning label on water. Of course even too much water is bad for you, moderation is key, and that should be kept in mind when using any drugs. Yes, caffeine is a drug.
It seems that these drinks are not aimed at athletes, and should not be used by them. Flashy cans and enticing names lead many to believe that these drinks are mainly aimed at partygoers. There are many, many, many studies that show combining energy drinks with alcohol is just not a good idea (as if swamping your body with poison is). If you're going to drink alcohol and energy drinks, do not drive no matter how sober you think you are. It's always smart to have a designated driver, walking home may not be the best idea all the time, especially if the party is far away (though it can lead to some great stories). If you are simply trying to stay awake, caffeine will do the trick. Try not to abuse it.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #20
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardyloo View Post
Drinking an energy drink in the morning is just like drinking a few cups of coffee or any other caffeinated beverage. Caffeine, however, isn't the only thing in these drinks.

The drink makers will claim that they have many "natural ingredients," which make the drink supposedly more healthy for you or give you that extra boost. Taurine, found in Red Bull, is still under dispute by the scientific community as to how exactly it works.

While I haven't read any studies that have proved that taurine and caffeine have effects on cognitive performance, taurine plays a key role in modulating contractile functions of skeletal muscles. As it is produced naturally in the body, I'm sure that use over time will decrease your natural production and form a dependency on the drink.

Caffeine dependency is a no brainer, I shouldn't have to tell you why drinking a caffeinated drink every morning is not beneficial. The idea that these caffeinated sugar pumped drinks are energy boosters, and that they will help with athletic performance, is not the smartest thing either. Caffeine is a diuretic, and sugar slows the absorbtion of water into the body- needless to say something you don't want to experience when you're exercising is dehydration, and these drinks (along with similar sodas) will do the same thing.

Drink ingredients vary from product to product, but look out for any with ephedrine. In 1998 a man suffered a heart attack and permanent brain damage after drinking Ripped Force and then lifting weights. He sued the company and a jury declined to award him damages because the drink had a warning label that he ignored. You'll find that almost all energy drinks have a warning label of some kind. I've never seen a warning label on water. Of course even too much water is bad for you, moderation is key, and that should be kept in mind when using any drugs.

Yes, caffeine is a drug. It seems that these drinks are not aimed at athletes, and should not be used by them. Flashy cans and enticing names lead many to believe that these drinks are mainly aimed at partygoers. There are many, many, many studies that show combining energy drinks with alcohol is just not a good idea (as if swamping your body with poison is). If you're going to drink alcohol and energy drinks, do not drive no matter how sober you think you are. It's always smart to have a designated driver, walking home may not be the best idea all the time, especially if the party is far away (though it can lead to some great stories). If you are simply trying to stay awake, caffeine will do the trick. Try not to abuse it.
Welcome to Critical Thinking. Excellent post, thuogh as you can see from my edited version here, breaking up the "wall'o'text" makes it a lot easier to read, understand and be responded to.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote