Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
TheTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheTypist
Default Alternative Source of Energy

So many people want to leave fossil fuels behind for a more clean, environmental, and abundant source of energy, especially now that America has figured out that they can't afford to keep taking all that crap from OPEC.

We're going to run out of oil relatively soon. And if that doesn't do us harm, the pollution sure will. So tell me, what do you see next to keep the world safe for our children's children's children? Nuclear power? Hydrogen? What???
Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
lightdarkness
Summer!!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to lightdarkness Send a message via MSN to lightdarkness Send a message via Yahoo to lightdarkness Send a message via Skype™ to lightdarkness

The sun.

I've always wanted to throw a few solar cells outside my window, and throw it into a battery that could run my computer. But the solar cells are expensive
Old 06-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

Prove beyond a reasonably doubt that we are going to run out of oil relatively soon.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
DracIV
FFR Player

Actually, we don't know if we are going to run out of oil soon. We're starting to learn that some really wierd crap is going on with oil and we don't know what. Drillers are finding too much oil and too deep. There's debate over whether oil might actually be a geological product now.

[Source: Discover Magazine and discussion in scientific community]
Old 06-19-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
TheTypist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheTypist

All right, fine. But all that doesn't change the fact that it causes a lot of pollution, nor does it change the fact that OPEC practically has America is on its knees.

-Nick Bank
Old 06-19-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
DracIV
FFR Player

Actually, OPEC doesn't have America on its knees. The stupid gas guzzler SUV idiots do. OPEC is controlled by everyone and they haven't changed anything- we have. And besides, the country wasn't even *phased* by rising gas prices and the economy has been improving from the previous slump.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

We need a perpetual energy machine. A machine that produces energy and at the same time, uses its own energy to power itself. DOESNT THAT JUST BLOW YOUR MIND?!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
TACODUDE
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TACODUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
We need a perpetual energy machine. A machine that produces energy and at the same time, uses its own energy to power itself. DOESNT THAT JUST BLOW YOUR MIND?!
There IS a way! Screw the death penalty. All convicts should have to run on a hamster wheel to power America. When you throw in the OTHER scum of the earth on hamster wheels, I'm sure we'll be able to reduce CRIME AND POLLUTION in one simple solution. Also, we should find a way to turn your AAA's in DDR to cold, hard energy. Hell, maybe even body heat!

I LOVE POKEMON! LOL
Old 06-19-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
alvask8er
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to alvask8er

Soybeans. Plain and simple. But we could never grow enough to meed demand once it picked up.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACODUDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird
There IS a way! Screw the death penalty. All convicts should have to run on a hamster wheel to power America. When you throw in the OTHER scum of the earth on hamster wheels, I'm sure we'll be able to reduce CRIME AND POLLUTION in one simple solution. Also, we should find a way to turn your AAA's in DDR to cold, hard energy. Hell, maybe even body heat!
Love it.

Nuclear power is probably our future.

Solar power and wind power will remain a last resort until it is made less expensive and more efficient.

Finally, some ideas.

We could trigger tornadoes. Make artificial tornadoes using energy in the atmosphere and use that tornado for energy... I'm not sure how yet though.

Lightning. Insane voltage comes from lightning. Build giant lightning rods in all the major storm areas in the world and tap that energy.

The lunar tide. Think of the INSANE amount of water moved by a tide. Force a large body of water to move through a bottle neck with the tide. Get it to turn turbines going in and going out and you'll have incredible amounts of energy.

Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #11
alvask8er
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to alvask8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam930
Lightning. Insane voltage comes from lightning. Build giant lightning rods in all the major storm areas in the world and tap that energy.
Thoughts?
That is a lot of voltage, but, its a very high amount for a very short time...you would need a great capicitor to keep the energy from disapating. But im pretty sure that there are major rods on top of big buildings in big cities that do just that. But its not really effective. Its a good idea, but it would be really tought to get it to work effiecently, as if you had them in the major storm areas, and needed to get the voltage other places, you would lose out a lot of that voltage on voltage drops, but transformers could be placed to step it up agian, but i dont think lightning provides too great of voltage to really supply well.

As for the tornado one, we dont really know much about them, but most of the energy i suppose is given off as wind, so you could get some nice wind energy, but i dont know how you could control the tornado once sparked...

The lunar tide one would be very expensive, and to really get much out of it, you would need huge dam like device. But that could really impact the local ecosystem, dont really think it would be worth it.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:20 PM   #12
IronMonk
FFR Player

about the luner tide energy, you dont need dams, infact they use this for energy in some places of coastal british columbia. They just place things similar to unederwater windmills and the current spins those. as for perpetual energy its a lot easier then you think. hell i have actually designed one myself. but the problem is it would be impossible to build with the current technologies. mainly because of materials not being strong enough and no where near enough $$ to fund it.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #13
Jam930
FFR Player

I think nuclear power plants are perpetual energy machines... not sure though.

We're not going to run out of energy though, so perpetual energy machines are pointless.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:54 AM   #14
IronMonk
FFR Player

nuclear power still needs fuel. if i remember right it is an isotope of hydrogen.

on the other hand though, why wait till we run out of oil to look for something else.

and as for the reports that people are finding too much oil that is too deep. i hardly considder that to be an indication of oil being a substance made by earth. personally there is no logical way of aproaching that. oil is an organic compound. [made mostly of carbon aranged into long strands]

i would take that bit of news as propaganda. if it were such then the news would be all over the place and the price of gass would fall. but has it been falling. hell no. its almost at $1 a liter here in canada.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #15
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

I actually like Tacodude's idea...

But anyway, I don't think there's any oil problems with depletion or pollution. Car exhaust does pollute, but not to a level that's unhealthy for the environment. Sure, any pollution's bad; I completely agree with that, but the environment is a dynamic thing that recovers naturally. Until we can manufacture alternative fuels on a large enough scale to meet demand, I'm for tapping into our own reserves in Alaska.

As for nuclear power, it's very much in our past to stay until we can make it safe. We've stopped manufacturing nuclear power plants (which need larger atoms than hydrogen, like uranium, to have longer chain reactions that create ENORMOUS amounts of energy that just boil water to make steam that turns a turbine like any other power plant) because of their inherent safety risk. And they're definitely not perpetual.

Lightning's a good idea, but could only be used for backup power, with the huge capacitors that alva mentioned, because of the delay between strikes.

I think we'll keep our internal combustion engines, but go to simpler, easier, and more efficient fuels, such as vegetable oil, soy, or something else like that. I heard today on Paul Harvey about a family that drove their diesel truck powered entirely by vegetable oil that they got used from fast food places along the way 11,000 miles to Argentina.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:45 PM   #16
themanwithsauce
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to themanwithsauce

Bio Fuels, if we can make an entirely oil free fuel that will work in autos using only materials like corn or soybeans, we do have an unlimited source of fuel that anyone can make (using proper equipment of course). Corn is a crop that can be grown fairly well and there are gas stations already offering gas mixed with corn oil. The main smell would be like french fries and emissions wouldn't be nearly as bad. Think of burning vegtables, the gases and byproducts from that should be similar to those produced when an internal combustion engine runs on a fuel that is nothing but corn oil (or whatever plant oil gets used) and some other natural plant products.

Solar energy seems to have more uses for if/when we travel deeper into space. We could use not only the light from the sun (which is stronger when in space because of no atmosphere) but also heat and other energy waves. The technology needed to efficiently harness all of this is not going to exist for a while though.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #17
IronMonk
FFR Player

heat waves in space.... sorry to break this to you but there isn't a whole lot of heat in space. next time you take a trip to the moon tell me what temp it is. ill guarentee that you wont be in a swim suit.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:23 PM   #18
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

I think we should build a machine that runs off of Stupid. And position it near a NASCAR track.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #19
Jam930
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonk
heat waves in space.... sorry to break this to you but there isn't a whole lot of heat in space. next time you take a trip to the moon tell me what temp it is. ill guarentee that you wont be in a swim suit.
Light waves. There is light in space. Light as radiation.

Ofcourse there isn't heat in space, heat hardly moves, and it'd never really leave the sun.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #20
IronMonk
FFR Player

hahah, a stupidity as a power source, you forgot one place aswell, following WWE, and all those other "professional wrestling" plenty of stupid poeple there. and maybe set a small one up by antiques roadshow.