Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
matrixneo555116
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to matrixneo555116
Default How do you make a simfile?

how do you make a simfile? please tell me!!!!!
matrixneo555116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Boochypa
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Boochypa

Clear your cache.

Oh, and try this:
Boochypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
hydrojakep
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to hydrojakep Send a message via AIM to hydrojakep Send a message via MSN to hydrojakep Send a message via Yahoo to hydrojakep

If you dont know, then you shouldnt even try to make one.
It will suck.

hydrojakep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Azryll
FFR Player

Its not like you knew how to make one your whole life. Everyone has to start out not knowing. Don't act so high and mighty.
Azryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
eVILPeeR
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to eVILPeeR Send a message via MSN to eVILPeeR

It's really hard to explain how to make one, Azryll. It's something that you shouldn't do until you're at a good play level and have a really good handle on StepMania (playing it). Plus being musically inclined helps.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Tantric
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Tantric

well i think im ready to make a stepfile..i play stepmaina all the time! and i have a killer song to make it...but im not suer where to start either

"I'd burn alive to keep you warm"
Tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:27 AM   #7
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

well, i will try and explain, but only because Tantric made an intelligent request. large size and exclaimation points do NOT help your case, man

first thing u need to do is make a folder for your new song. copy the song u want to make steps for into that folder. next, copy a DWI from a song u already have into that folder. rename it to the name of the song. now, open it (in Wordpad or Notepad, whatever u want). delete everything from "#SINGLE:BASIC:5:" (the number may vary, and it might say Heavy or Another or something like that) and down. now, find where is says the BPM of the song. u'll need to calculate the BPM somehow. using a simple program like WinBPM helps in this process, but u may have to tweak this if u find your steps to be a lil off. now, change the Title and Artist entries to match the Title of the song and the Artist who made it. ok, now save that DWI and close it.

open up Stepmania. go to Edit/Sync Songs and select your song. (now here is where it varies. i'll walk you through how i make my stepfiles) make new light steps. just make a bunch of 4th notes (red ones) until the end of the song. now, go through and tap to the beat (DONT LOOK AT THE ARROWS!). if at any point u stop getting a bunch of marvelous', your BPM is a lil off. try changing it around until the steps stay with the beat (you can do that by hitting F7 and F8 at the beginning of the song). now that your BPM is right, save it. now, pick out the simplest beat in the entire song and make some really easy steps. i'll assume u know how to hit 1,2,3, and 4 and place steps. once you have some simple steps that follow the music, play it through and see if it feels right. if it passes that inspection, turn Assist Tick on (should be F4) and have the entire song play, but dont try and hit the arrows. shut your eyes and listen closely to the music and the assist tick. if anything sounds off, stop it and play that part over again and again until u determine whether it's ahead or behind the music, and change it accordingly. once u are sure ur steps fit, save it and exit.

now, make new standard steps by copying the light steps. add in some things to make the steps harder, or follow a different, harder beat. do the same process as with the light to figure out if it's synced well, and save often. when you're done with that, make heavy steps from the standard ones and repeat the process, adding more steps to make it harder. for example, if there's a part where something goes really fast and it should be 16th notes (yellow ones), u may have made just a bunch of 4ths for light, a bunch of 8ths for standard, and then put the more fitting (and harder) 16ths into the heavy steps. or if there are parts where a hold note is appropriate, make the hold not last very long in the light steps, but make it hold for a very long time in the heavy ones, and make other notes hit while you're holding it. just add a lil each difficulty until the heavy is pretty hard.

i personally like to make some ridiculous steps for the challenge. in fact, most of the time my standard steps are the ones that best fit the music, but i put the really hard ones in there for people who like playing harder things. of course, u can do whatever u want to make your steps. i made up that method of making steps because it's what made it easiest for me, so just do what u find easiest.

also, use more than 4ths and 8ths. some songs will have parts with weird beats or people singing that need a 12th or 32nd note. dont be afraid to use them, but DONT just put it on 32nds and record u hitting buttons to the music. stepfiles made that way REALLY SUCK.

hope i helped

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
Tantric
FFR Player

Wow! Thanks soo much evilbutterfly, someone actually helped me...but one more question, What is the best place to get WinBPM? I searched for it on google but I want to dl a safe one...

Old 06-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

i cant remember where i got mine, but i dont think it was hard to get. i dont think anything would be unsafe...

also, i think i know why your sig isnt showing up correctly. ur picture is a bitmap image, and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthligh
If you add a &url= variable you can tell ffrsiggy where you want to grab your png file from. For the time being it must still be PNG format
just save that image as a png and upload it, then u'll be set at least, i hope so

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
Tantric
FFR Player

crap when i go to put in a song...and i did that DWI thing...btw i put in The Pillow-Ride On Shooting Star, but i cant open SM whys that? do i absolutly have to do the BMP fist?

Old 06-23-2004, 02:34 PM   #11
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

is it in its own little folders like every other song u have? 1st a category folder then the song folder? if thats not the problem, then idunno. does it pop up an error when u try and start?

and no, u can always do the BPM later, but it helps to do it right away

Old 06-23-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
Tantric
FFR Player

Ill show you what i am doing but i cant right now...ill do it later