Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2004, 07:29 AM   #21
DracIV
FFR Player

Not true. Only the true center of a sphere is an equal distance from all the farthest points. Anywhere else only reaches some of them, and few if any are an equal distance.
DracIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 05:05 PM   #22
alainbryden
Seen your member
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

'tis true, the functioning adgective compound being :Infinitely large:
Old 04-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #23
DracIV
FFR Player

If you insist, then there is no center of the universe in an infinitely large sphere. There, no center to worry about anymore.
DracIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:35 PM   #24
JustJono
FFR Player

Almost looks as if our solar system is the center of the universe.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Jono.asp
JustJono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #25
Omeganitros
auauauau
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

Psh. I bet it isnt. if it is, then I'll be damned, we're special!
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 PM   #26
IronMonk
FFR Player

ok, Once again I must explain things, to understand nothing you have to change how you think, it is a difficult excersize but it is possible. first when most people, (myself included till i started taking philosophy) think of the words "empty" "nothing" the idea of a container that didnt have anything in it comes to mind. now as the universe is concerned, if you are a big-bangist, the edge of the universe their is absolutly nothing, no container, no thing to put in it even. all that their is is behind you, thus when you go past the edge of the universe, you push the universe out a little bit farther. so stop worrying about the edge of the universe.

center of the universe.

simple answer = YOU!

long answer = according to einstine, everything is realitive to your frame of referance, thus if you are travleing very quickly, it is not you that moves, its the universe around you moving. so if you are watching a train moving 100 km/h north, and you see a guy walking at 5km/h south. that guy is moving at 95km/h north, if he looks at you, to him you are movign 95 km/h south.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #27
ramboman
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
black holes exist.. they found numerous ammounts of them , the way you find them is a lens like effect from the light of stars... the gravity of black holes is so immense that it can bend light. so all you need to do is find them... and at the center of every galaxie is a super massive blackhole , which keeps all the stars and gas together. that is just the giest of it...the theory is really extensive
Watching your Discovery Channel too, eh Jello?
ramboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:52 PM   #28
IronMonk
FFR Player

i used to, but as a wee child my vocabulary became so great most of my friends rarely understood what i was talking about. so i stopped.
Old 05-2-2004, 06:50 PM   #29
pantsmaster
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to pantsmaster

all these things are unexplined and can't be explained...one such thing is where do we end up when we die? do we just rot in the ground, or go to heaven? or is thier an anti-existance in which we take no form and have anti-conciousness? As for the universe being created, how could it have a begining? if there was "nothing" then there must have been something to have "everything" happen...another thing is what is beyond "nothing"? Another subject i think about sometimes is, in my opinion, that there can't be time travel at any point in the future. If something happens, it can't be changed.
pantsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2004, 07:14 PM   #30
peregrine
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to peregrine

I've thought a long time what it would be like to not exist, to reach what the Bhuddists call Nirvana. It's an incredibly hard concept to grasp, you tend to liken it to being asleep, but don't you define your sleep by the time you went to sleep and the time you wake up? How can you define a sleep that you never wake up from? It's one of those brain-hurting concepts.

On a side note: it's been proven that universe could either be ever expanding or expanding to a point then shrinking becuase of gravity pulling it back in. It all depends on the exact speed at which the universe is expanding. And here's an odd thought... wouldn't it be weird if one side of the universe was unbalanced and shrunk whereas the other side kept expanding? That would lead to a very screwy universe. I can picture this sphere just being sucked in and squashed into a line.

ahh... unanswered questions about nothingness and the universe... fun stuff we can only speculate on.
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2004, 11:32 PM   #31
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

UGH. MY BRAIN. I keep thing about that hypothesis about the universe expanding to a point at which there is no more matter to expand and the universe used fades away. HOW CAN IT BE?!
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2004, 12:02 AM   #32
TheChuck0
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TheChuck0 Send a message via MSN to TheChuck0

My theory is that the universe is not an infinite sphere, but actualy a huge scattered plane. Wherein there is no rhyme or reason to it, and the reason galaxies move is because they are either being pulled or pushed by other bodies. Black holes, other galaxies etc. My theory on nothing however would be like comparing it to purgatory. Nothing is absense of everything. colour, feeling, sound, light the whole works, but that's as good as I can explain it. There's probaly thousands of trained professionals who work on Einstein princples to find how alot of the stuff in the universe works.
Old 05-3-2004, 11:32 AM   #33
IronMonk
FFR Player

yeah, then again, you could just become an immaterialist and sum it up as, its there because I am.
Old 05-5-2004, 09:31 PM   #34
alvask8er
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to alvask8er

Well, it seems that there is a new debate about black holes existing. From what i learned from one of my physics teachers, black holes are impossible, and dangnabbit i cant remember why. But the existence of worm holes is true, and they are similar to black holes. As for other topics addressed in this one, the universe is so very immense.(sp?) Our entire solar system, from sun to the new planet they found beyond pluto, is at the tip of a spiral galaxy. This spiral galaxy has thousands of solar systems like ours and bigger in it. This galaxy is one of another huge number, which makes up the universe. Now for one to say that some where out there life does not exist, i think they are foolish. And either way, how do we know we aren't just inside the Matrix? :P
Old 05-5-2004, 09:54 PM   #35
JustJono
FFR Player

I thought it was the other way around -- blackholes possible -- worm holes not. I thought 'they' reversed the blackhole equation and came up with wormholes?

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Jono.asp
JustJono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2004, 03:05 AM   #36
Nightstar
FFR Player

okay, lemme clear some things up. Our solar system is in the arm of a galaxy with 200 billion stars. that is the real number. it is part of a supercluster of billions of galaxies.

black holes are very real. there is a supermassive black hole at the middle of EVERY galaxy. those black holes allow galaxies to form. their is a normal black hole(ex-supernova) about 5000 light years away from here. astronomers can watch them eat matter from stars and such. i have watched one feed of a star before. Their is even a theory that our universe is INSIDE a huge blackhole.

as for wormholes, we have no FACTS on them, so anything is just speculation, or theory.

just thought i would clear some of that up.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2004, 04:59 AM   #37
peregrine
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to peregrine

Quote:
with 200 billion stars. that is the real number.
Real number huh? So you've counted? -- just messin with ya, be careful when throwing around "facts."

And I'll back Nightstar up on seeing a black hole, I've seen pictures of solar mass being ripped off a star and into a black hole... quite pretty actually.
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2004, 06:35 AM   #38
themanwithsauce
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to themanwithsauce

if black holes are true then they aren't nothing, they suck in material giving them existence. Sure their gravity crushes any matter to the point where there is no space between molecules but they have some existence. We as humans should stop focusing on whether there can be nothing and try and improve the something we know that exists. Nothingness is a very scary thought that i dont personally want to think about. There is nothing no thought, no color (this includes black and white), no matter, no religion. You can't imagine a worse fate than nothingness.
themanwithsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-6-2004, 06:39 AM   #39
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
You can't imagine a worse fate than nothingness.
It's not like it's torture... you wouldn't even know there was nothing, because there's nothing.
Old 05-6-2004, 04:00 PM   #40
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to makaveli121212

nothing can never exist?

prove it
makaveli121212 is offline   Reply With Quote