Default Re: MapleStory

What article?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #13044
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Since I can't get to Sleepywood, I can't link it.

You know, Squeek's Super Awesome Magician Guide.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #13045
shazam_2011
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to shazam_2011 Send a message via Skype™ to shazam_2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Since I can't get to Sleepywood, I can't link it.

You know, Squeek's Super Awesome Magician Guide.
http://www.sleepywood.info/forum/sho...d.php?t=677489

Incidentally, Squeek has a goat.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #13046
ProtoMDS
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn All View Post
You're lucky you found out that warriors cap dex around that lvl when you did. The reason I say this is because now I am lvl 62 fighter with 92 base dex
Rofl, that's not really THAT much of a problem. Be glad you aren't a level 62 Spearman with 92 base DEX, at least you have Rage, haha.... I did fine at 95 base DEX. I never missed on Grims (before the patch) at level 91 when my friend still missed them at 95. And I had some into Sacrifice too o_O. I probably wouldn't've quitted my DK if I had decided to unload 15 points onto Sacrifice instead of PA Crusher.

PS: level 42 Fighter; Icarus (1) sucks monkey ****. WTF will 15 avoid do for me? =.="
how Craig isn't shooting lasers from his eyes and destroying entire cities in wrath is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
Usually the good lord works in mysterious ways. BUT NOT TODAY. This here is 66 tonnes of straight up, HE spewing divine intervention. If God is love, then you can call me Cupid.

Last edited by ProtoMDS; 04-22-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #13047
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Squeek's guide is way too long and is somewhat outdated. The quick and easy explaination of things for clerics:

1st job you'll max everything but Energy Bolt and Magic Armor. You'll get 1 in Bolt to unlock Claw and you won't tough Armor at all. It sucks hardcore. If you've ever had a magician you know the drill, if not, order matters (just like with warriors, you need that hp increasing skill asap). It goes like this:

1 bolt (so you can fight) -> 5 in MP recovery to unlock increase -> max increase -> depends

Basically, if you have money and MP pots you can go ahead and get Claw (and we'll help you with that, most likely. Giving away 100k is nothing at this point, and that'll more than cover your MP pots, plus none of us use the blue pots you'll prolly use anyway, so if any of us have some we could throw them at you =P). Otherwise, you might wanna go the money-saving route and max Recovery first (or do a mixture of recovery and claw) so that you don't go broke. However, if you're making a cleric, you'll save plenty of money later, so I suggest maxing claw asap.

And then, once claw and recovery are maxed, finish 1st job by maxing Magic Guard but NEVER using it (for now). Reason being: MG is only good for keeping you alive. Unless you need it for that, you're wasting money. Especially as a cleric, where all hp damage can be healed instantly once Heal is around level 5, if you have MG on and some damage is being moved to MP, that 80% damage that's put on MP will cost you 2x as much (since MP pots are 2x as expensive), plus the HP can be healed immediately anyway. So why get it at all, you ask? Because there will be times when you fight or need to get past things that do way more damage than you have HP. I, as a fire mage, fight things that do 1500-2000 damage, but I have like 1400 HP I think? Maybe not even that much, I can't remember. I have to have MG on all the time or I'd die in one hit. But at lower levels and as a cleric, you won't need MG much, so don't use it unless you HAVE to.

Now, time for 2nd job. At the end of 2nd job, you'll want everything maxed except Holy Arrow. Plain and simple, it sucks. If you need to know more, we'll bombard you with information about WHY it sucks, but I'll just leave it at that for now. Again, order is pretty important, and here's what I suggest:

1 MPE when you advance -> max Heal -> 1 in teleport -> max MPE -> max tele -> 5 in invincible to unlock bless -> max Bless -> max invincible -> screw around with the remaining 11 points

The only thing is whether or not you like to PQ or party much at all. People you party with will love you if you have Bless and hate you if you don't (especially warriors). If you plan to pure grind to 70, don't worry about getting Bless first. If you plan to PQ a lot on your way up, you may switch things around so you get Bless earlier. That's it.

Also, some people will say to start getting teleport earlier or to max it before MPE. I think this is a terrible idea. You've been a warrior this whole time and don't know what you're missing out on with teleport. My mage didn't get teleport until level 41, and I didn't mind. Also, when I did get my first point in teleport, I overused it a ton before realizing it'd just rape my MP if I ever used it at all. I only say to get one point into it early because it helps in traversing certain areas you'll be leveling in, like the trees filled with zombie lupins. With MPE getting maxed out you'll start to gain MP more than lose it anyway, so if you waste a little with level 1 teleport it won't matter. But really, you won't use teleport much until it's nearly maxed, because before level 10 it rapes your MP bar.

For 3rd job, well, I'll wait on that or let others take over. But as usual, if you have any questions about why I said what I said, just ask. I try to cover everything briefly but thoroughly and I dunno if I say things in the clearest way, haha. =P

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #13048
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Gah, I don't want to read through all of that, but I already read a difference in the build that I would change.

1 Bolt
5 MP Recovery
Max MP Increase
Max Claw
Max MP Recovery
Max MG

1 Tele
Max Heal
1 MP Eater(this is how I would do it, but in all things considered, you should probably get the 1 MP Eater before Heal)
Max MP Eater
Max Tele
5 Inv(if that's the prerequisite for bless)
Max Bless
Max Invincible
11 Holy Arrow

Actually, halfway through writing this, I changed my mind because maxing Teleport would only save some money, and maxing MP Eater would probably save much more.

As for pure int stuff, you need:
A level 8 wand from the store(like 2,000 mesos).
Enough money to buy a level 43 Maple Lama Staff(over a million by now, I'd bet).
Enough money to eventually buy a Black Bandana(but you should probably spend it on the Maple Lama Staff first)(I bought mine for 300K, it has 1 int).
Earrings with 100% scrolls from the Ellinia shop.

I think that's about it. The rest is just stuff you can use for defense.

Optional, but you'll probably want it anyway:
Blue Snowshoes(from the El Nath store, I think) around level 25(?) I think.
Sauna Robe(I bought mine for 50K, but I heard they're expensive now, so you might not want to get one for a bit)
Wooden Shield or Panlid(they're all you can wear with a pure int, and I use a Wooden Shield, only buy a Panlid if you just have money oozing out of you and you need to drain some cash, as a Panlid only decreases damage by about 10)
Clean Work Gloves(Meh, just get them, they're a Kerning quest from some guy on the street in blue)

That's all I can think of.

Last edited by ToshX; 04-22-2007 at 02:50 PM..
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #13049
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Regarding equips: I can hook you up with some nice things. Fully scrolled wooden wand with 100%, fully scrolled earring with 100% scrolls, I have a ton of blue snowshoes hanging around. This **** is just going to waste on my HP cleric and if I ever get exp for my HP cleric, it's all leeched anyway, so a weapon isn't even necessary.

And as for being a lukless priest: you'll probably end up wanting a black umbrella eventually (or maybe something else that may or may not be coming out in the next patch-- level 70 Maple Umbrella or maybe a new Maple Staff). Point is, don't go blowing all of your money if you want to maximize your magic attack at around level 75. The only problem with Black Umbrella is that it requires 6 of each stat. This means that you'll need gear that adds STR, DEX, and LUK (such as the awesome AND STUPIDLY OVERPRICED Maple Bandanas) or simply add APs to the stats. Also, Mu Ling has a PQ that gives a hat as a reward that is sort of like a Jr Zakum Helm. Which reminds me, Zakum Helm can cover the 6 stats as well, but good luck affording one of those at an early level.

Let's see... I feel that there is more...

Um, don't bother with other weapons. Wooden wand, Lama, optional Black Umbrella/things that aren't out yet. I can loan you a Yellow Umbrella at level 40 for 3 levels (Lama has a level requirement of 43), but don't bother with the level 35 Maple Staff or any of the other useless 1x or 2x umbrellas. They all suck.

OH! Armor. You're going to want Camo Pants and Blue white line shirt (or a similarly stat'd orange T-shirt). Once you get TONS of money, you can get a scrolled sauna or scroll one yourself, but until you can afford a SCROLLED sauna, the T-shirt/Camo Pants combo is better for you. Oh right... cleric... you might want to look into a bit of HP gear down the line. Emergency Rescue tubes are a bit overpriced these days, but summer is coming up so the price might drop as the item begins to drop again, although with a Lama you might not want to bother getting a ER tube, because Lama adds quite a bit of HP itself. You'll also want to scroll your pig headband (that you'll get from a quest) with HP. With that you should be fine.

What Noah said about 1st and 2nd job is perfect. Ok, how about a 3rd job build?

Quick rundown of the skills for Priests:

Dispel: cures ailments like darkness, exp curse, slow, poison. At level 20 it has 100% success rate.

Holy Symbol: When in party, it increases exp rate by a large margin. When solo it adds a small portion to exp rate. At level 30, it increases party exp by 150% and solo exp by 110%. Commonly referred to as "HS".

Elemental Resistance: cuts magical attacks of an elemental nature by a certain %. At level 20, it cuts elemental magic attacks by 50%. Commonly referred to as "ER".

Shining Ray: Attacks 6 enemies with Holy element magic. At level 30, it has a base attack of 105, which is actually quite a bit more than the 2nd job skill Holy Arrow. This is the prime reason why Holy Arrow is bad. It's not very strong to begin with, and it is replaced by a skill which does more than 6x as much damage. Commonly referred to as "SR".

Door: Opens a two way door back to town. Party members can enter and exit as they please so long as the door is open. At level 1, it lasts for 30 seconds, which is more than enough time for a party member to enter the door if they're already there waiting for it. At level 20 (which is more points than any reasonable person has in it) it lasts for 180 seconds. It ALWAYS will cost 1 Magic Rock to cast.

Dragon: Summon that attacks with 150 base attack non elemental magic. It attacks one at a time and it attacks quite slowly. It costs a summoning rock every time it's casted. Interesting thing to note: Bishops (4th job Priest) gets a MUCH more powerful Dragon summon. The 4th job Dragon attacks more enemies at once and with more power. No one seems entirely sure HOW MUCH of the 3rd job Dragon is needed as a prerequisite for the 4th job Dragon. I've heard that it requires it to be maxed, I've heard that it requires only level 15. I think I even heard that it may only require level 3 or so. Either way, Dragon is more useful than Doom or Door, even if it is replaced in 4th job.

Doom: Turns enemies into Snails. Elemental weaknesses are ignored when the monsters are snails, but undeads can still be hit by heal. When in snail form, they cannot use magic skills and their bump damage is DRASTICALLY reduced. However, it lasts for a relatively short amount of time, costs a magic rock to cast every time, and bosses are totally immune. Another downfall is it's failure rate. Even at max level 30, it only has a 90% success rate and lasts for 20 seconds. At level 1, it's 5 seconds and 52% success. You'll probably end up with about level 10 Doom which is 10 seconds and 70%.

For more information about skills, check out Hidden-street.net. Here is the direct link to magician skills (from there, you can check out Cleric and Priest skills as well). http://global.hidden-street.net/characters/magician.php

I'll recommend this, but slight deviations when justified are 100% alright:

First point in 70 at Shining Ray. The other skills aren't all that useful at level 1 or have a requirement of another skill, but SR can be huge fun (It's so great to be able to hit undeads after 40 levels of not being able to, even if you won't be grinding on them). From there, you'll get 3 in dispel to unlock Holy Symbol (and door). From here, you'll want to Max HS. During adding points for HS, you'll want to add a point for door (and that's all you'll ever add for door) and add however many points you need to into Elemental Resistance so that you can take a hit at whatever monster you're aiming for. Once you have HS maxed, add enough points so that you can take a hit at Grims without HyperBody. This will allow you to party with others, such as White Knights and Crusaders. Being limited to DragonKnights can suck really bad. In the end, you might need full HP gear along with ER to take a hit, but it doesn't really matter, so long as you can heal your training partner and keep yourself alive. I figure a good way to decide how much ER you need is to add enough so that a magic attack from Grims is just a TINY bit less than a physical bump. Not sure what level your ER will need to be, but you should be able to figure it out. This will save your precious SPs for more pertinent things. So, once ER is good, you'll max SR. SR is ****ING AMAZING. You will **** your pants being able to do so much damage with SR when Heal does such terrible damage. From here, you'll have dispel, dragon and ER left to max. Dispel is only useful for bosses. Not all that important. You can max it early if you want to do Zakum early, but I'd suggest maxing up ER before dispel. Dragon can supplement your damage nicely, but will be somewhat costly. I would suggest Dragon being one of the last things you add points into (although you could add one early just for fun... most priests do). Finally, you'll have some loose points that you'll probably want in doom. Doom is pretty useless in normal instances and is only any good for fooling around. If you ABSOLUTELY want to, you could put the points in Door, but they would really help at all, because more points in Door just make the door last longer.

tl;dr version:

1 SR, 3 Dispel, Max HS (with some ER), Some more in ER to take a hit from Grims, Max SR-- if you want to Zakum early: max dispel, max ER, max dragon, loose points in doom; if you aren't going to Zakum early: max ER, max dispel, max Dragon, loose points in doom.

Some common variations: First point in ER instead of SR. This will possibly make level 70 more boring, but SR won't really help in training very much anyway. The reasoning for this is if you have a DK friend, you can get to higher things with level 1 ER than if you had no ER.

Some do first point in dispel. This allows for you to get level 1 HS at level 71 when normally HS wouldn't be gotten until level 72 and when it would be gotten at 72, it would be at level 3.

I dunno there's probably some other things I'm overlooking. It's not easy to **** up your build as a priest. Just do things in a logical order and you should be pretty ok. The only thing is, if you put extra points in a skill that doesn't need it, you'll end up with a lower level doom at the end.

I sure hope I didn't forget anything.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #13050
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Remember the guy in the image a few posts up who said he had trouble levelling up while hacking at level 25? Or rather, gaining 5-10% at level 25 on a warrior while hacking?

I think that I'm going to make a warrior, get to 25, and make a video(probably less than one minute long) gaining 10% at level 25, lmao.

EDIT: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3570637t...2678662&rank=3

It's real and uneditted.

Last edited by ToshX; 04-22-2007 at 07:36 PM..
Old 04-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #13051
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Holy ****. Long ass thread that never seemed to die. I'm not even going to think of going through every page and read.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #13052
Lain_Iwakura
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lain_Iwakura

haha when the hell were you in Chii Squeek I always wanted to be in that kewl guild =(
Old 04-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #13053
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain_Iwakura View Post
haha when the hell were you in Chii Squeek I always wanted to be in that kewl guild =(
I co-founded it.

That's when.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #13054
87x
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 87x Send a message via MSN to 87x Send a message via Yahoo to 87x

I hit lvl 33 a minute ago, and yea, lvling the warrior is a pain. I wish I could kill something that would give me 5% xp. instead I kill mobs that give me
.08% xp... its rather time consuming.

RAVEnHEXa: Lip ring is because I want to be a professional piercer.
87x: more like.. professional goth.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 AM   #13055
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

What'd you change your job to? Sorry if I missed it in a previous post.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #13056
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87x View Post
I hit lvl 33 a minute ago, and yea, lvling the warrior is a pain. I wish I could kill something that would give me 5% xp. instead I kill mobs that give me
.08% xp... its rather time consuming.
You were level 30 when I logged on. You hit 31 before 10PM when I left.

You must've gotten nearly 3 full levels in one sitting and you say leveling is too slow?

You're going to be in a really tough spot when you get to the point where leveling really is slow. Anyway, it has to take a while to level, even at lower levels, because if you could sit down and get to level 60 in 1 day, you'd quit when it takes you 10 times as long to get to level 61. And MapleStory isn't the type of game where you spend a month or two getting to max level then spend the rest of your time playing the game to get better gear or fight bigger bosses. MapleStory-- you're constantly upgrading your skills, stats and equipment and it's never good enough.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #13057
ProtoMDS
FFR Player

Try to mooch off of priest buddies with power guard, haha. I tried that at level 39, got 3% and died because the priest heal-lagged and I didn't notice.
PS: Level 43 get. Decided to put 1 point into FA because either way, I'll have 10 w.atk Rage at level 45.
how Craig isn't shooting lasers from his eyes and destroying entire cities in wrath is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
Usually the good lord works in mysterious ways. BUT NOT TODAY. This here is 66 tonnes of straight up, HE spewing divine intervention. If God is love, then you can call me Cupid.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #13058
Afrombean
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoMDS View Post
Try to mooch off of priest buddies with power guard, haha. I tried that at level 39, got 3% and died because the priest heal-lagged and I didn't notice.
PS: Level 43 get. Decided to put 1 point into FA because either way, I'll have 10 w.atk Rage at level 45.
Ah. someone with recent experience perhaps? How much damage did Grims do to you? I was talking it over with 87x and I told him it definitely wouldn't be worth his time to come down to Grims at level 31 (since he didn't even have the rage requirement yet).
Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #13059
ToshX
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Afro, in all reality, you can actually get to a very, very high level in a month or two if you play enough.

You can bot/vac to 50-60 in one day, and you can legit any non-beginner to level 30 in a day without even playing all that much.

In all technicality, now that I am level 55, I could level up four times in one day and still have time to sleep/eat(and this is without PQing). I think Banditcom can also level up every single day.

It's just that no one's really willing to play that much.

However, I used to play GunZ "that much" because I wanted to be the highest ranked player. Turns out the game closed down and people started hacking their levels anyway, so now I have to do it all over again in a new version, except now I'm sick of it so I go at a slower pace and only get in the top 100.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #13060
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

I don't think Jason could still level once a day and maintain a job and other things he does. I mean, if you sleep 8 hours a day, work 8 hours a day, you only have 8 hours left for fun, food, and chores. Let's say that 1 of those 8 hours is for eating/transport/bathroom and you're able to play 7 hours every day. If you got 14-15% an hour consistently you could level once daily playing 7 hours every day. I'm pretty sure Jason gets less than 10% an hour now, or at least close to that, even in parties. I probably get 15% or more an hour and could level once daily, but I can't play 7 hours a day. o_O

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
Closed Thread