Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-4-2007, 06:29 PM   #141
Lamoc
FFR Player

Default Re: Immiment Death Question

didn't i say something like that earlier..
Lamoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2007, 09:57 PM   #142
ledwix
Giant Pi Operator
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ledwix Send a message via Yahoo to ledwix

You can't....didn't you read the first post. the platforms switch INSTANTANEOUSLY (in bold) once you pull the lever. So there's no "in-between" which you speak of; either five people are going to die or one person. The purpose of the question, as stated several times in here before, is not to find a little way to save all six people, but to decide whether saving the lives of five is worth being responsible for the killing of another otherwise safe person or not.
ledwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2007, 10:09 PM   #143
Lamoc
FFR Player

so just let the 5 people die. thier loss
Old 04-4-2007, 11:30 PM   #144
Hepcat06
FFR Player

Lamoc, post something reasonable or get out. That's not critical thinking
Old 04-5-2007, 12:48 AM   #145
ledwix
Giant Pi Operator
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ledwix Send a message via Yahoo to ledwix

right; this forum is for higher-level thinkers, not the bottom 90% or more of people who are ignorant. posting like that classifies you as ignorant.
ledwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 01:33 AM   #146
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoc View Post
You just blew what I said way out of proportion. You shouldn't do anything. Let the 5 people die.
No I didn't. You just don't know how to debate.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 08:34 AM   #147
YoEr13
FFR Player

Well if I could I'd mess with them and switch them more than once so it becomes more like a game of chance rather than a personal conflict.

If I must choose one, I'd probably let the lone one die. I think his way because I believe that it's better to lose one life than 2. However my choice would definitely change if I knew the identities of these people.
YoEr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 09:53 AM   #148
seththelezzy
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to seththelezzy Send a message via MSN to seththelezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoc View Post
so just let the 5 people die. thier loss
That's very ignorant.

This is one of the questions that you would not have the time to think about it like you could if you were sitting in front of your computer. You have 6 peoples life in your hands. You would probably react different if you were actually in the situation.

But I would pull the lever. I wouldn't know who they are. They might be someone that was sent to kill me, or for all I know the 5 people could be sent to kill me. But I wouldn't know that. Why take 5 people's lives if you could only take one?

But the 5 people could be your parents, your spouse and your children and the one person could be your ex-spouse. But you wouldn't know that.

But would you react the same way if the 5 people were on the other platform, and a giant metal ball was about to crush only one person?

Like I said, this could only be answered if you were in the situation.

I support using the Edit Button. You should too.
seththelezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 02:06 PM   #149
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Quote:
Why take 5 people's lives if you could only take one?
Have you read this thread? You either kill one person or let the train go as it does. It is not your fault if the 5 die, the train would still kill them if you were not there. If you pull the lever it is your fault you kill somebody.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 02:13 PM   #150
hoochan
woah shrooms
FFR Veteran

Wouldnt there be a way to time the switch so that it hits neither of them while they are switching places and it just falls to the ground?

Anyway, if I had to choose, Id choose to pull it. The lives of 5 is more important than the life of the 1 person (not saying that that other person's life isnt important). There is no right or wrong answer to this, but I feel that I should save the lives of the majority of people instead of just 1 person.
hoochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 02:30 PM   #151
Technotic
FFR Player

No
Technotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 04:28 PM   #152
GentlySpitItOut
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to GentlySpitItOut

I would pull it. You save more by killing less!
Old 04-5-2007, 07:43 PM   #153
seththelezzy
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to seththelezzy Send a message via MSN to seththelezzy
Default Re: Imminent Death Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPscho View Post
Have you read this thread? You either kill one person or let the train go as it does. It is not your fault if the 5 die, the train would still kill them if you were not there. If you pull the lever it is your fault you kill somebody.
You have a good point. But you COULD have saved those 5 people, and one person would die. It wouldn't be your fault if those 5 people die but it would be your fault if the one person died. That is why it is called 'Imminent' Death Question.

A. It's not a train it's a metal ball

B. I corrected the spelling of the title.

I support using the Edit Button. You should too.
seththelezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 08:53 PM   #154
Laotian_Vampires
FFR Player

Location: heh, why the f-ing do you need to know? But somewhere in the US.

Heh, it's a tough question, but hey it's life. If I don't pull the lever, that's five people to cry over, or not, depends if I know them. Then there's feeling of guilt where as I could have saved them, exchanging one life or five. If I do, that's one person to cry over, or not, depends if I know that one person, but it could have been a person I truly loved and come to know. In this position, I would immediately cower. But if I were to make the choice, I would choose not to, since it's life and life comes at you fast.
Laotian_Vampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 08:55 PM   #155
Laotian_Vampires
FFR Player

Location: heh, why the f-ing do you need to know? But somewhere in the US.

is this an agruement about how to debate, or this an answer to the damn question?!
Laotian_Vampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2007, 01:48 AM   #156
Lamoc
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by seththelezzy View Post
That's very ignorant.

This is one of the questions that you would not have the time to think about it like you could if you were sitting in front of your computer. You have 6 peoples life in your hands. You would probably react different if you were actually in the situation.

But I would pull the lever. I wouldn't know who they are. They might be someone that was sent to kill me, or for all I know the 5 people could be sent to kill me. But I wouldn't know that. Why take 5 people's lives if you could only take one?

But the 5 people could be your parents, your spouse and your children and the one person could be your ex-spouse. But you wouldn't know that.

But would you react the same way if the 5 people were on the other platform, and a giant metal ball was about to crush only one person?

Like I said, this could only be answered if you were in the situation.
Fine i'll repeat what i've been saying. You can't and do not have the right to choose who lives and who dies. If those 5 people are standing on that platform then thats thier fate. Now your playing god if you do.
Old 04-7-2007, 09:19 AM   #157
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi
Default Re: Imminent Death Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seththelezzy View Post
A. It's not a train it's a metal ball
I posed an easier-to-understand question about a train, which is in effect identical but more realistic than instantly-moving platforms and the like. You can see it on the first page.
Old 04-7-2007, 12:33 PM   #158
RPGFREAK
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to RPGFREAK

consider this: You are a person who has lived for a while and have your own thoughts and predjudices. While you're trying to decide what to do, your mind has already made up its mind. You probably don't have much of a choice in the matter.

I probably wouldn't think about touching the lever. The thought of killing someone just isn't me. That's what I'll be doing if i made a decision. Allowing 5 people to die doesn't seem as bad as killing 1 and vice versa.
RPGFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-7-2007, 12:34 PM   #159
Lamoc
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGFREAK View Post
consider this: You are a person who has lived for a while and have your own thoughts and predjudices. While you're trying to decide what to do, your mind has already made up its mind. You probably don't have much of a choice in the matter.

I probably wouldn't think about touching the lever. The thought of killing someone just isn't me. That's what I'll be doing if i made a decision. Allowing 5 people to die doesn't seem as bad as killing 1 and vice versa.
Like I said earlier you realy can't choose. Your just playing god then. So I wouldn't do anything as well.
Old 04-7-2007, 01:04 PM   #160
RPGFREAK
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to RPGFREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird View Post
No offense, but "fate" is the worst argument ever. For one, it can neither be proven or disproved. As someone said earlier, what if it is your destiny to save the five and sacrifice the one? Besides, fate shouldn't matter anyway, as if fate does exist, then wouldn't any action you take also be determined by fate and therefore making the argument null?

Also, what's this "you can't choose who death takes"? It's nonsense. Death isn't an entity that floats around from person to person taking their souls with it's scythe. Sorry, but that concept of death died with the rise of monotheism and was later abolished with increased knowledge human anatomy.
fixxed-ish. If I were to define fate, it would be something that will happen which nothing can change. If I were to define destiny, it would be somewhere along the line of a choice or series of choices which ultimately determine the outcome of an event. So, a person could purposely fail to realize their destiny and a person's destiny could be effectively squashed by intervention.

I do realise what I just said makes little to no sense. A person's destiny is usually forced by the attempted prevention.
And then you have a series of illogical circular logic that would make your mind explode, thus taking the decision to pull the lever out of your hands.

You know what, forget I posted anything.
RPGFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote